BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Katy Perry shares who she is voting for.... and causes a stir!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Sour Candy
post 8th November 2022, 10:05 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

So... "Swish swish" bish just voted for a Republican. I'm done with her.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 8th November 2022, 10:27 AM
Post #2
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

He’s actually in the Democratic Party now, his past political affiliation was Republican (but not since 2019), so some see him as a moderate Democrat or fake Democrat. I think that’s why some people are wary of him, for flitting between parties (sometimes he was Independent). As for people being annoyed at Katy for her vote & public endorsement, it seems primarily it’s because this choice is reflective of being most beneficial from the perspective of a rich & white person (which Katy is). So a bit self-serving. Other celebrity endorsements for Caruso include Chris Pratt and Kim Kardashian.

So technically speaking it’s not right to say she voted for a Republican. Some people aren’t happy about the choice she made between two Democrats to be LA mayor.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 8th November 2022, 10:32 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

Thanks for this insight!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 9th November 2022, 03:01 PM
Post #4
Group icon
User: 13,007

Hmm.. further reading and it does seem to be quite the controversial move. I've read this:

The support from celebrities who generally market themselves as liberal and “feminist,” even—Perry performed for Hillary Clinton at the Democratic National Convention in 2016, for instance—is pretty eyebrow-raising. Caruso poured over $100 million of his own money into his campaign, which he spent advocating for policies to further dehumanize poor and unhoused people in the city. It stands to reason that if he actually cared about addressing LA’s ongoing housing crisis, he might’ve spent that $100 million in other ways.

Further, the billionaire—who was a Republican until 2019 but is running as a Democrat—helped USC cover up the full extent of damage inflicted by a school gynecologist who sexually assaulted thousands of female students between 1991 and 2016. Caruso has a record of donating to anti-abortion politicians, and just this week, USC Caruso Catholic Center, to which Caruso donated $6 million, shared a now-deleted Instagram post opposing California’s Prop 1, a ballot measure to establish a constitutional right to abortion in the state.

https://jezebel.com/katy-perry-gets-dragged..._medium=twitter

Backing someone that appears to be v anti-abortion, doesn't scream feminist to me.

Why can't celebrities encourage people to vote without the need to share who they are voting for blindly - explain WHY you're voting for this person don't just include his name for impressionable young voters to then mimic in their votes?

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 12th November 2022, 03:40 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

Katy is from a Republican background & has shown this quite subtlely throughout her career. So i’m not overly shocked by this. I think a lot of people maybe don’t realise their beloved popstars don’t share their politics.

+Quote this post
post 8th December 2022, 02:29 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

It was definitely a dumb and controversial move, and I'm so annoyed she did it. But I don't agree she has been showing signs of republican throughout her career. She has been vocally anti-trump, wrote some of her songs on Witness about that. Campaigned with Hillary for months, performed and advocated for Joe Biden- she's actually been vocally democrat which is why this move is so disappointing.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 9th December 2022, 04:05 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

she publicly aligned herself with Hillary (who on all merits has a questionable political history anyway). Most choose to cast their eyes over the fact that Hillary & Trump were essentially in line with each other because she's a woman and the narrative of a "female president" sold more than her previous vote on Prop 8, for example... people will reply "that was in the past" but it's the same defence used against the likes of Theresa May and Boris Johnson to this date...

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 12:26 PM