BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> One Day at a Time, Netflix (Sitcom, 3 seasons)
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Linds.
post Jan 17 2018, 06:13 PM
Post #1
laugh 'til we cry
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,176

"This Netflix-original comedy-drama is inspired by Norman Lear's 1975 series of the same name. This time around, the series follows the life of Penelope, a newly single Army veteran, and her Cuban-American family, as they navigate the ups and downs of life. Now a nurse, Penelope is raising two strong-willed children. When faced with challenges, Penelope turns to her "old-school" mother, and her building manager, who has become an invaluable confidant. The series offers a contemporary take on what life looks like in both good and bad times, and how loved ones can help make it all worthwhile."

It is pretty much the standard lowkey-cheesy family sitcom that's been done loads before but it does contain good humour and plot lines, not to mention every character is extremely likeable and endearing to watch. It has a very feminist theme to It, it has to when it's about a single mum and her two kids who also has her mother staying with them but it discusses the likes of sexism, how it differs now compared to in the past and loads of other contemporary issues. Elena, the 15 year old daughter is a "social justice warrior" and rejects a lot of her Cuban family traditions because she feels it's misogynistic etc but her grandmother is an extremely Catholic woman who is very passionate about her religious and cultural traditions, it's interesting to see so many different perspectives navigate today's issues etc.

Anyway, it's an easy watch, i did season one in a day and season two is dropping later this month. If light sitcoms are your thing, I'd defo check it out.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Regina
post Jan 23 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #2
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

I really enjoyed this, but I have a real hatred of both the kids in it laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Linds.
post Jan 26 2018, 08:20 PM
Post #3
laugh 'til we cry

ikr I feel you, I do quite like Elena tho, they're both so much better in season two (which i binged today)

penelope and lydia are queens tho, you're gonna stan Max i think Grant kink.gif

+Quote Post
Regina
post Feb 12 2018, 07:23 PM
Post #4
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

omfg the episode that has flashbacks to when Elena was born cry.gif really hard hitting stuff. I'm a wreck.

+Quote Post
Silas
post Feb 25 2018, 10:01 AM
Post #5
Queen of Soon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,474

I'm most of the way through season2 now having finally got back round to season 1. It's such a funny heartwarming show. It handles some serious topics with real grace.

+Quote Post
lotita
post Mar 24 2018, 11:32 AM
Post #6
feminist icon (she/her)
Group: Site Empress
Member No.: 21,777
   No Gallery Pics

i've nearly finished this and can't believe i put it off for as long as i did, i'm surprised more people here don't watch!!

+Quote Post
Silas
post Mar 24 2018, 01:17 PM
Post #7
Queen of Soon

I am as well! It’s really great and I’m really hoping for a third season

+Quote Post
Silas
post Mar 26 2018, 08:18 PM
Post #8
Queen of Soon

Netflix busy AF today as One Day At A Time has been renewed for a season 3!!!

+Quote Post
Linds.
post Mar 26 2018, 09:02 PM
Post #9
laugh 'til we cry

YESSSSS

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Feb 19 2019, 07:48 PM
Post #10
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

I don't think there's a topic for this, at least I couldn't find one. Who loves this? *.*

One Day at a Time revolves around a Cuban-American family living in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Echo Park, focusing on a single mom who is an Army veteran dealing with PTSD, her kids and her Cuban mother. The re-imagination of the original CBS sitcom tackles important issues like mental illness, immigration, sexism, homophobia, and racism that faces Latinos living in the United States. It has three seasons, the most recent premiered earlier this month.

Its first season premiered in January 2017, but I only started watching it earlier this month (and have nearly reached the end of Season 3 already). I absolutely love it! wub.gif Genuinely find it to be one of the funniest shows I've ever seen (which sounds like ridiculously high praise, but I mean it!). Everything about it just works - the cast is fantastic (particularly the character Abuelita, she is iconic heart.gif ), the humour always feels natural and unforced.

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Feb 19 2019, 07:53 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,217

Abuelita heart.gif

+Quote Post
WhoOdyssey
post Feb 19 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #12
A dead mouse (from my cat)
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 67,771

I tried watching it because I enjoyed Fuller House but I'm just not too into it.

I'm not sure why, but I feel claustrophobic watching it tongue.gif
They're always inside and there aren't any windows! At least Fuller House has a garden and are at school sometimes!

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post Feb 19 2019, 08:13 PM
Post #13
Cause if looks could kill, we wouldn’t want to be Dan Humphrey
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

is everyone only watching this for froy

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Feb 19 2019, 08:21 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Codester X @ Feb 19 2019, 08:13 PM) *
is everyone only watching this for froy

Not me!!

but it's how I reeled Joseph & Maurice in x

+Quote Post
JackTheeStallion
post Feb 19 2019, 11:17 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

YES! I love this. So funny and refreshing, really gives you old school sitcom vibes without being problematic and focusing on current issues, not easy to do! I agree, Abuelita is absolutely everything and has me in stitches at times!

+Quote Post
Linds.
post Feb 19 2019, 11:39 PM
Post #16
laugh 'til we cry

http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?s...=208889&hl=

angel.gif angel.gif angel.gif

Season 3 is my fave so far, flawless comedy and has so so much great representation and covers so many really important issues from coming out to mental health to racism, addiction, consent like honestly they do so much yet its still always incredibly funny, such a special show i really adore it wub.gif

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Feb 25 2019, 01:51 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(Kehlindsey @ Feb 19 2019, 11:39 PM) *

Oops! kink.gif Yas at your fantastic taste tbh x

So I only finished watching this last week, having binged all 3 seasons in less than a week... and tonight I decided to start watching Season 1 again! I very, very rarely go in for repeat viewings, and certainly not so quickly after the first watch, but this show is so special and actually missed it. It's interesting to see the first two episodes again and some jokes landing better because I'm obviously far more used to the characters and the dynamics than I was when I was new to it.

By the way...

cry.gif I would be beyond gutted if it gets cancelled just as I've discovered it, but not long after that was tweeted #RenewODAAT started trending... I hope the outpouring of love is enough. heart.gif

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Feb 25 2019, 09:20 AM
Post #18
❤️❤️➕🟦
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I don’t watch the show but I remember they did the same when considering renewing for Season 3. Whether it’s a ploy or not to drum up people talking about it I don’t know but they don’t exactly advertise it much (like most of their returning shows now) and it can’t be costly to make in comparison with other shows. Although I did see that it’s actually made by Sony and they prefer shows they make themselves.

+Quote Post
JackTheeStallion
post Feb 26 2019, 10:33 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

Really late but I am fully obsessed. Such a easy fun watch, but I'm so so impressed with the way it tackles hard hitting issues like racism, homophobia, gender and sexism so effortlessly, as well as informing us about different cultures. It is so funny as well and I can't get enough.

It doesn't get near enough promotion though, I watched it through people here saying it was good, I wouldn't have watched it as the old font used and the title are kind of 'eh' looking, you would have no idea really!

+Quote Post
Linds.
post Feb 26 2019, 10:42 PM
Post #20
laugh 'til we cry

I think i only started watching it because I saw gifs of Elena and Syd on tumblr lmao but hopefully with Stephanie Beatriz and Melissa Fumero guest starring in season 3 will mean brooklyn nine nine stans will check it out too

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:48 PM