BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Haunting of Bly Manor • Autumn, Netflix ■ Sequel to Haunting if Hill House
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
p a v
post Oct 12 2020, 09:01 PM
Post #21
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
Episode 4 was by far the worst so far. It was slow, predictable and just boring.

CAN WE JUST TALK ABOUT EPISODE 5 PLEASE

I had proper goosebumps when Owen and Hannah talked about glue traps. Now THAT is how you do horror shows. And the ending was so heartbreaking, I got very emotional. That being said, the twists were pretty predictable. She didn't eat or drink at all so I did wonder if she was dead all this time. Plus I figured Peter would also get killed on the property. Didn't expect it to be the lake lady though. And someone I watch this with guessed that Miles is possessed by Peter so this one didn't come as a surprise either. Regardless, this episode was such a fantastic ride.

INCREDIBLE INCREDIBLE INCREDIBLE. I cannot wait to continue watching this tomorrow. I hope future episodes don't disappoint.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
p a v
post Oct 12 2020, 09:02 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Hannah is such a QUEEN too.

+Quote this post
Cameron
post Oct 12 2020, 10:32 PM
Post #23
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061
Hannah was the star.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Oct 14 2020, 09:50 AM
Post #24
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
I've seen episode 5 now (the ending was quite heartbreaking). I really enjoyed it and it certainly fits my theme that the narration is unreliable. The only downside was that out of the big 3 reveals, I had worked out 2 of them Hannah was dead and Peter was possessing Miles - although the former was blatantly obvious. and then for the other one I was half right (Peter was dead not missing, but hadn't worked out it was the woman in the lake who killed him.).

I am enjoying the show very much however, I forgot how much I really enjoyed the score.

+Quote this post
p a v
post Oct 14 2020, 10:34 AM
Post #25
Group icon
Just finished this yesterday. What a beautiful story overall. The last episode had me on edge the entire time. The only thing was that I thought Hannah would play a more pivotal role in the final battle. Everyone’s departure was kind of underwhelming to me in the end. But the Lake Lady story was top notch and that was probably the best episode after Hannah’s. I’m not an expert but Carla’s accent seemed terrible to me and nothing like the younger version of the gardener hahah. But I guess it’s because she was not living in England anymore.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Oct 15 2020, 09:03 PM
Post #26
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
Watched the first two episodes so far and really enjoying it. I think topping or even matching Hill House is an almost impossible challenge as that struck the balance between the tension/horror and emotional story perfectly.

They’re lots of different mysteries to unravel who I’m looking forward to, although I did watch a BBC adaptation of the story a few years ago. Perhaps thankfully I can’t remember the actual story!

They’ve mastered the tension perfectly again as well. That creepy singing when playing hide and seek got me!!

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post Oct 22 2020, 11:51 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043
Episodes 2-4 have been SO dull sad.gif Hoping it picks up!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 22 2020, 11:57 PM
Post #28
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
QUOTE(Jαsє @ Oct 23 2020, 12:51 AM) *
Episodes 2-4 have been SO dull sad.gif Hoping it picks up!
It really does! Episode 5 is the highlight, imo. But everything that follows from then on is brilliant!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Oct 23 2020, 01:03 AM
Post #29
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
Episode 5 was indeed excellent - the best of the series for me! T'Nia Miller is such a terrific actress. wub.gif https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-...r-episode-five/

Victoria Pedretti is great too. Random, but she kept reminding me of Hilary Duff.

I agree that if you're anticipating a lot of jump scares, then this series won't live up to those expectations. The horror really lies in the tragic situations that befall many of the characters, and the themes of sadness, death, grief, loneliness.

To be honest the most horrifying aspect of the show was some of the attempts at various British accents... tearsmile.gif

I watched a YouTube video that compiled all of the ghosts hidden in the background during scenes, and I missed the vast majority of them! I never spotted the Plague doctor, and he popped up so many times! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
lotita
post Oct 27 2020, 07:22 PM
Post #30
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777
i've finally finished this and apart from wanting to drop kick flora everytime she said perfectly splendid i really enjoyed it! i'm glad that i had seen people say it turns out more like a romance because i think i would've felt a bit let down otherwise. pacing felt quite right, the final episode was v effective!

did we ever find out what actually happened to the parents? i'm so confused how they also never saw viola because she wouldve surely gone to their bed every night?

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Oct 28 2020, 01:37 AM
Post #31
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
Oh wow, Episode 5 was amazing. Incredibly directed, acted, paced and pretty heartbreaking. This is what I love from Flanagan I knew from the book that it's believed that Peter possesses Miles so that wasn't too surprising, but I didn't quite work out Hannah was dead before this, I guess I wasn't paying enough attention. Interested to see where that leaves Rebecca, part of me thinks she may be the Lady in the Lake, even though that would contradict how it killed Peter (lemme just avoid this thread until I've finished)

+Quote this post
Qween
post Oct 28 2020, 03:02 PM
Post #32
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709
This was quite good in the end, not as good as Hill House by any means, but solid. The first 4 episodes were verging on me giving up, Flora was anything but perfectly splendid and some of the acting (Flora, Miles, Henry, Dani) was borderline HAMMY. Not to mention the ludicrous accents most of them were sporting - looking at you Carla.

It came together quite nicely in the end, episode 5 was just sublime story telling - T'Nia Miller gave an exceptional perfomance - and was almost as good as Bent Neck Lady. I was able to guess almost all of the plot 'twists' - but it didn't matter too much as they almost all felt earned. Overall probably a solid 7/10.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Oct 31 2020, 06:36 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
I really enjoyed this, it felt like a more rounded story to me than Hill House... although I did watch this one first so maybe that's why. The twist in Episode 5 was blatantly obvious but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I had more of an emotional attachment to both the characters and even the ghosts in this one than I did in Hill House - which I've just finished watching and didn't find anywhere near as scary as I was anticipating, aside from the horrid dumb waiter section

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:55 PM