BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Official Chart Show to move to Fridays from summer 2015, Hosted by Greg James
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mack.
post 24th March 2015, 09:18 AM
Post #41
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

I'm guessing the midweek charts would be on Monday possibly.

This CBBC show, would it be similar to the "UK Top 40" show that showed between 2002-2005?

I would start the charts from 5:00pm-7:00pm but then you've got "Newsbeat" hasn't you?

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 24th March 2015, 09:35 AM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429

QUOTE(Mart!n @ Mar 24 2015, 08:52 AM) *
As for the move to Fridays, I just find the timing sucks, it would have be better from 6 to 8pm. Most people are still at work on a Friday around that time, and I won't be around for the chat show thread topic on a Friday, looking at it again, they could broadcast the whole top 40 on a Saturday morning from 11am to 2pm.

I guess a lot of people like me finish at 5, so will be able to catch the top 10. They obviously want to keep the evening free for dance music. Ooh, Dance Anthems directly following the chart like the good old days!

I wonder if they'll just try to play as much of the top 40 as possible, or they'll venture out to the lower reaches of the chart to keep it more interesting. This week for example there are a few Radio 1 friendly stuff in the top 60 they could play. I reckon they should play new entries and climbers in 21-100 for first part of the show, then the top 20 in full from 4.40ish.

+Quote this post
Eric_Blob
post 24th March 2015, 09:37 AM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,665

I think this is good tbh. Firstly, as we've discussed before, most people who listen to the chart show aren't specifically listening to it, just listening to the radio and hearing what's on at the time. I'm not an expert on radio listening figures, but I imagine 4-6 on Friday will have a much higher audience than 4-7 on Sunday, so the official charts will reach more people this way.

Also, having it cut down to 2 hours is good too, I think it'll make the show more enjoyable to listen to. Perhaps in 2005 when there were loads of new entries a week and 10 weeks in the top 40 would be considered a long-runner it would have been bad as not all the songs could get played, but it's very different today, and frankly nobody wants or needs to hear All Of Me or Thinking Out Loud played in the top 40 anymore. Now they can miss out 10-15 songs from the top 40 each week, so they can miss out those songs that have been charting 20+ weeks or the "Radio 2" songs which often do really well in the charts (Train, Lumineers, that kind of stuff). Last couple of weeks they could've almost missed out the original version of Lay Me Down to save playing it twice.

QUOTE(AcerBen @ Mar 24 2015, 09:35 AM) *
I wonder if they'll just try to play as much of the top 40 as possible, or they'll venture out to the lower reaches of the chart to keep it more interesting. This week for example there are a few Radio 1 friendly stuff in the top 60 they could play. I reckon they should play new entries and climbers in 21-100 for first part of the show, then the top 20 in full from 4.40ish.

I've wanted Radio 1 to do that too for a while given how slow the charts have been recently (and also given the fact that a lot of big songs never make the top 40), but that would've worked better on a 3 hour show, with 2 hours I think them venturing outside the top 40 will be even more unlikely now, but I wouldn't mind if they did. I think the previous DJ has been playing the #41 immediately before the chart show recently, but it would be better if they played the highest new entry outside the top 40, as the #41 can often be a song that's already been top 40 for months which people are fed up of hearing.

It's funny, because most of the songs which just won't ever leave the top 40 are in that situation because Capital FM and/or Heart FM just won't ever stop playing them, and a lot of the songs Radio 1 supports that miss the top 40 do so because their rival stations refuse to ever play them.

This post has been edited by Eric_Blob: 24th March 2015, 09:44 AM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 24th March 2015, 09:52 AM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

since they aren't interested in playing records that make the top 40 sales charts anymore it makes sense to relieve the tedium and chop it down to cut out the long-runners. I've been listening to the sunday rundown for 47 years this year, so it's the end of an era for me, though to be honest the chart died for me when it stopped being sales and reflected repeat plays ongoing for months instead, so I no longer care that i'll be at work when it's on.

On the plus side I can listen to Johnny walker on radio 2 now instead while I do my charts on sunday as usual. I certainly won't be changing my own official chart date to reflect "world release dates". Presumably I can now buy that Aronchupa single I've not been able to buy for 4 months even though it's available in the rest of the world for months - what's that, oh, sorry it's still not available in the UK? Right, believe it when I see it....laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Colm
post 24th March 2015, 09:58 AM
Post #45
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

QUOTE(Hadji @ Mar 24 2015, 12:23 AM) *
That means for one week, the chart week will run for 5 days (Sun-Thurs) instead of 7 (Sun-Sat)

Front loaded singles released that week may have a slight advantage compared to being released in different week.

+Quote this post
Colm
post 24th March 2015, 10:04 AM
Post #46
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Mar 24 2015, 09:52 AM) *
since they aren't interested in playing records that make the top 40 sales charts anymore it makes sense to relieve the tedium and chop it down to cut out the long-runners. I've been listening to the sunday rundown for 47 years this year, so it's the end of an era for me, though to be honest the chart died for me when it stopped being sales and reflected repeat plays ongoing for months instead, so I no longer care that i'll be at work when it's on.

Wasn't it moved around before during your 47 years? biggrin.gif It was on Tuesdays in 1987, anyway, when I started listening to it - as far as I can remember.

+Quote this post
post 24th March 2015, 10:06 AM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Songs that do big promo on Friday and Saturday nights are going to have bigger advantages now, as it won't split the initial boost with the slow remaining affect.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 24th March 2015, 10:13 AM
Post #48
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

Also mid week new releases will hardly chart inside the top 75, I guess that's one good thing, as they will climb up the chart the week after.

Also what to do with my free spare time on a Sunday, laugh.gif its just a habit that most of us listen to the chart on a Sunday it won't be the same no more.

+Quote this post
jaynesangel
post 24th March 2015, 10:30 AM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 562

Christmas day is a Friday this year which means the Christmas chart will be announced on the 25th - I think this will be the third time this happened. If the X Factor final is on the previous Saturday with a Sunday release will there be a campaign to keep the 'midpoint' leader at number one?

I like the tie in with CBBC - one of my major gripes is that the chart isn't broadcast on television (unless on the MTV stations).

I've always enjoyed Greg James as a DJ and when he has sat in to present the chart show on a Sunday.

I'm interested in the format of the 2 hour show - I hope they drop the repeat of the previous week's top 3. I'd like them to play the new entries from 40-21, any song climbing to a new chart peak from 40-21, the entire Top 20 with a Top 5 album countdown and a recap of 40-2 before the reveal of the number 1 single. Whether they could fit that in a 2 hour show is another matter ...

+Quote this post
James1987
post 24th March 2015, 10:31 AM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 19,531

The only negative comment I have is the fact Greg James will be the host...I know Greg is the host of the 4pm slot anyway but why couldn't it have been Scott Mills (though had they not swapped shows sad.gif ...)

I was initially unhappy about them cutting the chart down to 2 hours but given how stale the charts become I actually think it will be better to cut out a lot of songs as long as they don't make the same mistakes as last time when they would play older songs over the newer tracks, miss new entries etc

I'm dreading Sundays now, what will I do with my afternoons on Buzzjack now!!

+Quote this post
Dennis123
post 24th March 2015, 10:43 AM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,655

The article only states downloads and streaming will be released from 12:01 on Fridays but I presume albums will be released on Fridays too?

+Quote this post
BOOBA GRANDE
post 24th March 2015, 10:44 AM
Post #52
Group icon
You don't have to be fabulous to be good
User: 5,591

The other thing is how it all will affect the midweeks and how the official chart position will be different to midweeks.

Now the new held-back releases peak on Tuesday midweeks and then fall or even slump towards Sunday. It got even more obvious when streams were included which are huge on Saturdays. And after the chart date change the pre-orders and novelty sales will be incorporated on Fridays, then we'll have the weekend effect, so on Monday midweeks (if we get them) we'll get chart with the "weekend affected" sales already being added up. So the first after-weekend midweeks will be much more accurate compared to the actual chart than they currently are.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 24th March 2015, 10:46 AM
Post #53
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

QUOTE(Mart!n @ Mar 24 2015, 08:52 AM) *
As for the move to Fridays, I just find the timing sucks, it would have be better from 6 to 8pm. Most people are still at work on a Friday around that time, and I won't be around for the chat show thread topic on a Friday, looking at it again, they could broadcast the whole top 40 on a Saturday morning from 11am to 2pm.

Friday afternoon is a better time than Saturday midday, no?

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 24th March 2015, 10:47 AM
Post #54
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Mar 24 2015, 07:43 AM) *
Also, wonder what day of the week C+ will be published after the change?

Didn't mean to post this comment twice - I thought the first instance had gone AWOL. mellow.gif

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 24th March 2015, 10:58 AM
Post #55
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Mar 24 2015, 10:46 AM) *
Friday afternoon is a better time than Saturday midday, no?

I just thought Saturday would be better to be honest.

===

On a different note I just hope the first chart won't be a cock up laugh.gif I think Dee-Lite missed out on a #1 due to a switch over.

+Quote this post
post 24th March 2015, 11:18 AM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I wonder if Radio 1 Playlists will start on a different date now?

+Quote this post
Colm
post 24th March 2015, 11:31 AM
Post #57
Group icon
Yes, it's me.

I wonder will Sam Smith be in the chart FOREVER!

+Quote this post
Graham A
post 24th March 2015, 11:42 AM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 20,299

Why would you start a chart at 4pm Friday when kids are still getting home from school? It kills off most of the audience! Then to have the cheek of putting it on CBBC and thinking that will raise the profile of chart music!! Yes everyone over 15 is going to suddenly tune into the CBBC channel! It will appeal to the young girls who like One Direction and the other boybands and the like, that's all.
The other thing that's not being discussed so far here is what will fill the slot currently occupied by the top 40 on a Sunday and compete against the Big Top 40 show, which will be faster and more comprehensive than the top 40 broadcast by Radio One.
I really think this is VERY bad move for the BBC and will make the charts less important in the British public's eye. As some of the people on this thread have stated they can't listen to the show or catch only a part of it.
We have gone backwards to the days of the top 20 and breakers. It's 2015 BBC!!! Not 1950!!!!

+Quote this post
Mangų
post 24th March 2015, 12:01 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151

QUOTE(Joe. @ Mar 24 2015, 11:18 AM) *
I wonder if Radio 1 Playlists will start on a different date now?

I don't see any reason why they should really, they playlist songs far enough ahead of release for that not to be an issue.

+Quote this post
girl_from_oz
post 24th March 2015, 12:05 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,540

QUOTE(zenon @ Mar 24 2015, 12:53 AM) *
The Christmas number 1 race could get exciting again now as the X Factor winner will only have four days to bid for the achievement if Cowell still wants the song out on a Sunday night.

Yup and only 2 days of physical sales, as the physical doesn't usually come out to Weds

+Quote this post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 05:41 AM