BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Paper Towns, from the author of 'The Fault in Our Stars'
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post 19th March 2015, 03:03 PM
Post #1
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
Pronouns: he/him
User: 8,674

Recently started reading the book and although I'm sceptical about Cara Delevingne and The Fault In Our Stars disappointed me slightly, I'm still really excited for this!

IMDB says that we've got to wait until 21st August for the UK release.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 19th March 2015, 04:00 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Ooh so excited for this! I've read TFiOS, this and 'Looking For Alaska' by him so was looking forward to the film adaptions coming around! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 19th March 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I read Looking On Alaska on a friend's recommendation and actually preferred it to TFIOS (which I did love at the time, but everyone hyping over it because of the film kinda ruined it laugh.gif), I do have this so need to read it really! Cara doesn't fill me with great hope either but tbf she's not acted before so we don't have anything to judge on laugh.gif

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 19th March 2015, 07:01 PM
Post #4
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
User: 8,335

I've been meaning to read another John Green book since last summer. Maybe I should check this one out. Is it as much a quick read as TFIOS?

+Quote this post
Calum
post 19th March 2015, 07:29 PM
Post #5
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316

Doesn't look as promising as The Fault in Our Stars going by that trailer, but I haven't read the book so I'll reserve judgement.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 19th March 2015, 10:49 PM
Post #6
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

So so excited for this heart.gif I love the fault in our stars which was one of my favourite movies last year and I really like cara delevinge heart.gif

I also really want to read the book wub.gif

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 3rd June 2015, 06:15 AM
Post #7
Group icon
my anxiety attacks

Second trailer released!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 10th June 2015, 12:58 AM
Post #8
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Pushed forward a few days to Monday 17th August, so excited for this wub.gif

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 2nd August 2015, 10:44 PM
Post #9
Group icon
my anxiety attacks

Saw this yesterday evening and I can't get over the amount of changes. The ending is pretty drastically different, things aren't mentioned / don't happen, stuff happens at the wrong time, I don't think the movie gave a good sense of timescale and felt too rushed, made it seem like figuring out the clues was simple / quick. Why is Angela part of the roadtrip?? It's meant to happen on the day of graduation, they aren't on a time limit because of Prom, it's because Margo isn't going to be in Agloe for much longer!!! They don't wait for the American AA to come to them after cow-gate. I don't remember Q having that dream of Margo whilst in the abandoned building but don't quote me on that one (I know Cara already isn't in it a lot so they probably added something for her but ugh). I could go on, doesn't help that I've only just finished reading the book. laugh.gif sad.gif

As a standalone movie I guess it was decent. But these changes aren't minor to me and I'm not exactly a die-hard fan of the book so I'm intrigued as to what the real die-hard fans thought of it all (o )

Cara's acting was alright I felt and the girl playing the younger version of Margo looked like a spot on match!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 19th August 2015, 04:24 PM
Post #10
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

I thought this was pretty great, not read the book so I don't if the changes are bad or not but this didn't drag one bit even though the trailer didn't look massively exciting so that was a pleasant surprise.

All the characters were really quite likeable which definitely made you want to see how each of their individual stories ended up, Nat Wolff's portrayal of his character was pretty stellar I thought, I felt terrible for him when Margo wasn't in that abandoned hut in Algoe. Ben was a funny character too, the whole audience audibly squealed when his wee went everywhere laugh.gif

One of my favourite movies this year probably, I liked the plot especially and props to John Green for penning a great story, I loved how each clue linked even though you couldn't picture how Q would get to the next clue at all with how vague they were. Yay for happy endings too. I agree with Jahq on the young Margo looking just like Cara as well, at first I thought she was CGI they looked so alike laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 4th September 2015, 12:46 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608

I saw this at the cinema today and really enjoyed it. I had high expectations, and it felt a bit slow to get going but once it got to the road trip part of the story it really started to click for me - and an unpredictable ending too. I second Josh's comment that all the characters were very likeable, and definitely lifted a plotline that felt a little bit lacking for me - but overall it was enjoyable. And Cara was fantastic, it felt like she'd been an actress for years!

+Quote this post
Noahspike
post 4th September 2015, 12:57 PM
Post #12
Group icon
There's a frisbee in my brunch
User: 19,860

I saw this a couple of weeks ago, having not read the book, and wasn't particularly impressed. It had real potential from the trailer as I love a good clue-solving ~mystery~ case but the whole thing ended up feeling way too far-fetched and subsequently underwhelming, especially considering Margo supposedly didn't want to be followed after all, yet left incredibly clever and intricate clues in various dodgy locations merely to indicate to Q that she was safe/okay! I don't know, that all seemed ridiculously elaborate but I guess it also didn't help that I never really bought into the fascination around Margo's aloof character, which is strange as on paper Cara seems perfect for the role. For me though, while a decent actor, she lacked the charisma needed for the whole plot to work. All that said, I did appreciate the non-obvious ending to an extent, there were some funny moments throughout and the Inbetweeners-esque dynamic and chemistry between the three friends/their love interests was particularly well done and kept things engaging...but yeah, I wouldn't recommend the film overall.

+Quote this post
Linds.
post 8th September 2015, 11:41 PM
Post #13
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,176

Finally got around to seeing this today, I've not read any John Green books (yet) although I've seen The Fault In The Stars which was alright but Paper Towns looked a lot better from the trailer and there'd been a fair bit of hype around it so I wanted to see it. I can imagine it's the kind of thing that is much better in book form though because of the mystery element to it, i think it was all very squeezed bc it had to be put in film form etc. I did really like the characters and thought Cara did a great acting job, I actually forgot she was primarily a model and not an actress, i'd really like to see her in more films. I've heard the film ending was better than the book, but I still want to read it I think, it's the kind of thing I could see a continuation happening of, y'know a five years later kind of thing where you see how far Quentin got into his "plan" and where Margo actually ended up which would be v cool laugh.gif

The only thing I was a bit like uhhhh unsure.gif over was the fact she left clues but just for people to know she was okay and not for Quentin to go find her, I mean she put that thing in his door, and the poster thing in his direct view from his window etc, I know the whole idea of her is to be "a mystery" which excludes leaving a note on her iamspamspamamitable that's like "I'm going away to New York for a while, just in case you're wondering where I've gone, I'm okay" but there were other things she could have done that wouldn't have lead Q to believe he was to track her down laugh.gif

*edit* omfg why is that room where you keep food etc filtered on here?! rotf.gif

This post has been edited by ℓindsey ♫: 8th September 2015, 11:44 PM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 01:14 PM