BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jupiter's Top 40 so far this month #15, play with fire, blow you up ~ + write-up and track links
Rating 3 V
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Nov 25 2016, 12:40 PM
Post #1
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

There's little movement at the top of the tree this week, as Clean Bandit, Anne-Marie and Sean Paul hold steady at the top spot on their fourth week in the top ten, while just below them, Sabrina Carpenter charts her fourth week in the top 2. Sadly it’s likely to be Carpenter’s only chart success at least this year, as the rest of her album (EVOLution) is very 2006-Taylor Swift-lite. The Tapes, Dragonette, The Midnight and Peking Duk featuring Elliphant enter the top ten for the first time this week, while Zara Larsson’s Ain’t My Fault sneaks back in for a second time, up on last week. New entries are thin on the ground this week, our highest at #12 comes from new Korean girl group BLACKPINK, who are being positioned as successors to previous international crossover success 2NE1, following a turbulent period that culminated with today’s surprise announcement of their breakup! AlunaGeorge, alongside Yogi and Less Is Moore, Fergie, and The XX’s comeback tune On Hold are also notable entries a little further down the chart. More on these and other chart moves in the next post, for now, here’s this week’s chart in full:

01 Clean Bandit ft. Sean Paul + Anne-Marie - Rockabye [9-2-1-1]
02 Sabrina Carpenter - Run and Hide [1-1-2-2]
03 Inna - Say It With Your Body [21-13-3-3]
04 The Midnight - The Comeback Kid [29-4]
05 Lucian ft. Beth Duck - Calm Waters [12-5-4-5]
06 Peking Duk ft. Elliphant - Stranger [14-6]
07 Frenship ft. Emily Warren - Capsize [33-X4-26-7-7]
08 The Tapes - You Know It's Real [13-8]
09 Dragonette - Body 2 Body [12-9]
10 Zara Larsson - Ain't My Fault [14-7-11-10]
11 Jones - Wild [34-22-12-10-8-5-11]
12 BLACKPINK - Playing with Fire [N]
13 Empire of the Sun - Way to Go [40-10-6-13]
14 GoodLuck - Find Me in the Forest [34-14]
15 AlunaGeorge - Mediator [39-15-9-15-X3-29-19-15]
16 Shura - What's It Gonna Be? [22-17-16]
17 Ren Phillips x Wide Awake ft. Namuli - Blue Ruin [25-14-15-17]
18 OneRepublic - Kids [13-9-10-18]
19 Hayley Kiyoko - Gravel to Tempo [17-7-2-4-9-19]
20 Anne-Marie - Boy [28-16-16-20]
21 Yogi ft. AlunaGeorge, Less Is Moore - Blow You Up [N]
22 Joan As Police Woman - Overloaded [21-22]
23 M0 - Drum [5-4-6-8-23]
24 Tove Lo -True Disaster [35-17-18-24]
25 Empire of the Sun - There's No Need [24-20-25]
26 Elliphant ft. Skrillex - Only Getting Younger [N]
27 Red Hot Chili Peppers - Encore [34-22-X7-30-27]
28 Jonas Blue ft. Raye - By Your Side [27-27-28]
29 The XX - On Hold [N]
30 Lady Gaga - John Wayne [25-25-30]
31 Fergie - Life Goes On [N]
32 Girl Blue - Fire Under Water [40-29-16-18-36-32]
33 Empire of the Sun - Friends [N]
34 Sandra Lyng - Hiding [N]
35 Kaiser Chiefs - Why Do You Do It To Me? [38-13-7-11-22-35]
36 Max Frost - Adderall [26-36]
37 Bearcubs ft. Secaina Hudson - So Long [N]
38 Sia ft. Miguel, Queen Latifah - Satisfied [N]
39 Calvin Harris - My Way [N]
40 Major Lazer ft. Jusin Bieber, M0 - Cold Water [10-11-X10-28-24-40]

#1s this year:
AlunaGeorge - Mean What I Mean (1)
Britney Spears - Make Me (1)
Tove Lo - Cool Girl (2)
Clean Bandit ft. Louisa Johnson - Tears (1)
Dev ft. Nef the Pharaoh - #1 (1)
Empire Of The Sun - High And Low (1)
YoungR - Out Of My System (2)
Noonie Bao - Reminds Me (1)
Empire Of The Sun - To Her Door (1)
Sabrina Carpenter – Run and Hide (2)
Clean Bandit ft. Sean Paul + Anne-Marie - Rockabye (~)

Spotify Link to the playlist in full this week: click right here

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Nov 26 2016, 01:30 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Nov 25 2016, 12:42 PM
Post #2
   No Gallery Pics

The Korean girl group have only been active since August but are already on their 4th single release. Playing With Fire has a sound of Cold Water and the popular instrumental breaks in vogue right now in the West to it, a choice that’s almost definitely deliberate – big-budget K-pop is usually very on-trend. The video is well worth a look, it has it all – locations, costumes, synchronisation, solos and of course, big dance breaks. Fifth Harmony, eat your heart out!

This one has the feel of a pure AlunaGeorge track despite being a feature. It’s been a very strong era musically for the duo, sadly Aluna Francis and George Reid haven’t yet seen as much chart success this era; lead single I’m In Control’s impact was spread over enough time to see it hovering just outside and just inside the top 40 for 5 or 6 weeks, never focusing enough to allow for a strong chart debut. Follow-up singles I Remember and Mean What I Mean have stalled, despite their great bounce and summery sound. Can’t win them all, I guess! Blow You Up has underground/club hit written all over it, and it would be nice to see it bring the duo some success. Debuts this week at #21.

A slightly older one now, a late discovery from Elliphant’s back catalogue found after I researched what Skrillex had been up to lately considering Jack U’s lighter and softer output. There’s a lot of immediately-post-Lean-On M0 here before she decided to go for a blonde reinvention as a soft indiepop girl, back when she was still riding through the desert on the back of a bus in an unflattering chunky coat. A bit of Nyla in here too. Elliphant hasn’t had a big hit in the UK yet but with this sound and image, surely it’s only a matter of time? A #XX debut for this. PS, anyone with a fear of the dentist, avoid this video.

It's a strong late 2016 comeback for the XX, something I wasn’t expecting until at least next year, after the few cryptic teases they allowed us immediately before this surprise release. On Hold goes upbeat and has already charted officially in the UK on the strength of its first week, suggesting the XX have gone up in the public eye since their last album which struggled to chart any singles even within the top 100. Be good to see a resurgence in sample use like this, bringing back and re-interpreting an older sample as part of your own work, rather than doing a limp cover or ripping off an older song and passing it off as your own original work. There’s a bit of Azealia Banks’s Big Big Beat to this too.

Fergie’s long-announced Double Dutchess album actually being a thing is something I did not expect this year, even though lead single LA Love, released last year, actually was a surprise top 3 hit in the UK. Life Goes On is a Big Girls Don’t Cry style ballad, released by Fergie’s team to capitalise on the feeling in the US following the recent dramatic election. It’s an unlikely follow-up to the ballsy MILF$, but a sweet song with a nice tune that lets Fergie’s strong vocals shine. #31 debut this week.

Another new entry for Empire of the Sun. Friends is many critics’ standout from the album and understandably so, it’s definitely got some of the most pop appeal. There’s a lot of PNAU on this, some Foster the People, from album #2, and maybe even shades of Vampire Weekend despite the synth-heavy and pounding, anthemic production. This is definitely one for the tour. #33 this week, and Empire’s 6th charting track for me this year.

As Empire chart their 6th, Sandra Lyng charts her 4th this year. Sandra Lyng is a Cascada-like dancepop singer who, by the sound of her recent material, is aiming to transition into the pop market by adopting a more Zara Larsson-lite-like sound. Good luck to her. She’s the kind of singer I think BuzzJack members would be into.

Secaina Hudson’s third charting track this year and Bearcubs’ first. I bought Secaina’s EP after hearing her track When You Were Mine and being unable to find it any other way, and ended up liking a few of the tracks on it. She’s British and has had some small club track success, working alongside GoldLink and Sinead Harnett, but nothing major as yet. She’s one that could go either way, further into dance and EDM guest features, or to flip and go into pop. Flying low on the radar for now, but one to keep an eye on for 2017 I would say.

And finalmente, Sia. A little research says this one is from the Hamilton soundtrack, from an upcoming compilation album where tracks from the hit musical are covered by singers from the music industry rather than musical theatre actors. Satisfied – or Sia and co.’s cover of it is from a similar stable as The Greatest featuring Kendrick Lamar. Her choice of Miguel and Queen Latifah as collaborators is inspired, two I haven’t come across for a while and whose success has been up and down, although Miguel has a prime spot on my personal all-time charts alongside Mariah Carey on the much-better-than-its-name summer jam #Beautiful. I don’t know if this one is getting released as a single due to being a cover, but it’s well worth checking out if you’re a fan of any of the artists, Sia in particular’s vocal knocks this one out of the park, and I’m not even a musicals fan. Be sure to check out the original on Spotify as the solo version is the only one available on youtube right now!

That’s us for this week folks. I’m going to actually try and follow-up and check other people’s charts more this week now work is winding down for the year and I’m less snowed under! As ever, questions and comments, opinions and judgements are welcome wink.gif

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Nov 29 2016, 11:42 AM

+Quote Post
JSG
post Nov 25 2016, 06:27 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,473

Heya!

great #1 although personally I still prefer the links of rather Be and Mozarts House!

What's It Gonna Be? is a topper of a tune!

The same goes for Drum! Now that is an amazing track!

good chart!

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Nov 29 2016, 11:44 AM
Post #4
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks JSG! Dust Clears is probably still my go-to Clean Bandit track, but I've liked following their evolution even if they don't strike me as people I would get on with.

Drum is a banger (ba-dum tish) for sure.

Video links for this week are also up now for anyone who wants a peek!

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Dec 1 2016, 12:36 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Hey Jupiter,

Great chart and I'm so pleased Rockabye is still at the top. wub.gif

Other highlights for me are Peking Duck, Frenship, Zara Larsson, OneRepublic, Jonas Blue, The xx and Calvin Harris. music.gif

If you'd like to view my own personal chart, created 25th November 2016, the link is HERE. I'd love to hear your views! smile.gif

Good chart from you this week, thanks for sharing! cool.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:14 PM