BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doctor Who • The Witchfinders, S11E08 | which witch
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post Nov 25 2018, 11:06 AM
Post #1
❤️❤️➕🟦
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

The Witchfinders

WRITER: Joy Wilkinson
DIRECTOR: Sallie Aprahamian
GUEST STARS: Alan Cumming, Siobhan Finneran and Tilly Steele
WHEN: Sunday 25th November at 6:30pm
SYNOPSIS:
The Doctor, Ryan, Graham and Yaz arrive in 17th-century Lancashire and become embroiled in a witch tria run by the local landowner. As fear stalks the land, the arrival of King James I only serves to intensify the witch hunt. But is there something even more dangerous at work? Can the Doctor and friends keep the people of Bilehurst Cragg safe from all the forces that are massing in the land?

TRAILER:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Nov 25 2018, 11:10 AM
Post #2
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

Time for our third historical, although with a less of a political background this time round. I still find it odd that I thought the witch trials would be a good idea for Doctor Who to do about 2 days before the synopsis was revealed! Maybe there had been a prior announcement and it was just in my subconscious...

The episode has some big guest stars with Alan Cumming and Siobhan Finneran which is exciting! It is also both directed and written by a woman!

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Nov 25 2018, 11:56 AM
Post #3
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Group: Members
Member No.: 2

This is the episode I've been looking forward to the most, with Alan Cumming as a guest star.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Nov 25 2018, 07:25 PM
Post #4
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

loved loved loved

why have the historicals been the best part of the series this year, they’re normally the filler ones!

+Quote Post
Botchia
post Nov 25 2018, 07:27 PM
Post #5
I Drink Wine
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Klaus @ Nov 25 2018, 07:25 PM) *
loved loved loved

why have the historicals been the best part of the series this year, they’re normally the filler ones!

Agreed The three historicals have been the top 3 episodes which is certainly odd given they're usually very hit and miss.

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Nov 25 2018, 07:28 PM
Post #6
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Member No.: 2

A solid episode, quite enjoyable, for some reason I expected Alan Cumming as the main villain, I must admit Alan Cumming was a good casting call, and fitted well as James I, the character was made for him. As for the episode, it did fray a little bit towards the end, and picked up nicely to tied up loose ends.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Nov 25 2018, 07:35 PM
Post #7
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

Really enjoyed that!! Some good twists and turns and an actual good alien for once ohmy.gif The historicals really have been on top form this series. My one criticism is that it didn't quite feel fleshed-out enough in parts but that's the problem with a standalone 45 minute episode I suppose!

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Nov 25 2018, 07:38 PM
Post #8
Mansonette
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

That was a step down from last week for me. I really thought that was such a nothingy episode, the story seemed like two disjointed ideas forced together with a very weak excuse for an enemy.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Nov 25 2018, 07:43 PM
Post #9
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

Although they could have done with being fleshed out more, I’m so happy we finally got a proper monster andthey looked SO good too. That first initial image of zombie Gran or whatever was actually one of the creepiest things I’ve seen on the show! It kind of showed to me that you can have both a monster and humanity being the monster too, with Becka killing all those women to save herself.

Siobhan was fabulous in that role, as was Alan Cumming as King James - two really fleshed out guest stars! Loved the one on one scene with the Doctor and the King, really well played.

Of course you HAD to have the Doctor be trialled as a witch otherwise what’s the point of the setting! Loved the pacing and flow of the episode and how it was defeated by actually burning the witch - and the Doctor being furious at that!

A really standout episode for me! As I said, the only negative is if the monsters were a bit more fleshed out.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Nov 25 2018, 07:45 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

Alan Cumming was great as Jacob Rees-Mogg.

+Quote Post
Severin
post Nov 25 2018, 08:39 PM
Post #11
Mansonette
Member No.: 9,872
   No Gallery Pics

Decent episode and I agree that the historical stories have been the best this year. The witch trials are obviously a great idea for DW but I really think this was one idea that would have been amazing if it had taken more cues from the Hinchcliffe/Holmes era of Tom Baker's years and gone full on Gothic Horror

+Quote Post
Lukuzz
post Nov 25 2018, 09:07 PM
Post #12
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
Member No.: 1,209

Definitely seemed like the joint best episode (alongside Rosa Parks) however was great to see a really good monster. Hoping the last 2 episodes keep up with the pace.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Nov 25 2018, 09:15 PM
Post #13
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

That was even better than last week and I'd put that on par with the best this season! Was a classic historical romp, Alan Cummings was excellent throughout and it got a good mix of comedy and drama. This definitely isn't an episode that would've worked as well with a male Doctor even if it always a theme you'd think they would've explored, so it was great from that angle. The threat did seem a lot more real, especially with the Doctor herself being accused and the pacing was good.

Alas, it did fall apart a bit after the alien was revealed, they were defeated too easily again and though they did look genuinely threatening, they kinda threw a whole different idea on the episode and it felt overstuffed as a whole. Common issue I guess, but one that stopped it from being really great. Still, the series is certainly recapturing my attention a bit more now.

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Nov 25 2018, 09:16 PM
Post #14
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Really good episode! Sevond only to Rosa.

RANKING TOIME

1. Rosa
2. Witchfinders
3. Woman Who Fell to Earth
4. Kerblam!

5. The Ghost Monument
6. Demons of the Punjab
7. That man birth episode

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Nov 25 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #15
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Nov 25 2018, 07:45 PM) *
Alan Cumming was great as Jacob Rees-Mogg.

QUOTE(Severin @ Nov 25 2018, 08:39 PM) *
Decent episode and I agree that the historical stories have been the best this year. The witch trials are obviously a great idea for DW but I really think this was one idea that would have been amazing if it had taken more cues from the Hinchcliffe/Holmes era of Tom Baker's years and gone full on Gothic Horror

I agree with all of this! It should have been a 2-parter.

+Quote Post
ElectroBoy
post Nov 26 2018, 11:07 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 3,002
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Severin @ Nov 25 2018, 08:39 PM) *

There was a great BBC Book called the Witch Hunters - a Hartnell story set in the first season which was based on the Salem witch trials. Really good book which uses the setting well

+Quote Post
natelivliv
post Mar 10 2019, 08:47 PM
Post #17
New Entry
Member No.: 81,401
   No Gallery Pics

4 stars, decent plot, good monster, just the right kind of dislikeable K-J. The only disappointment is that no one took the opportunity to give him a very needed punch.

Clear by now the writers feel most comfortable doing historical episodes rather than putting in the work to make a future to play in.

Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher

This post has been edited by natelivliv: Mar 22 2019, 05:44 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:39 AM