BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Taylor Swift - Singles Rate: Results, FULL RESULTS ON PAGE 7...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post 3rd April 2020, 11:15 PM
Post #81
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Heartbreak is the National Anthem

#11. New Romantics | Avg.8.312

Highest Scores: 10: (FUTURE NOSTALGIA, blacksquare, Jonjo), Lowest Scores: 5: (WinterFreeze)

At #11 and taking quite a leap average wise is "New Romantics", released in February 2016 as the 7th and final single from her 5th studio album "1989". Originally the track wasn't on the standard edition of the album, only on the deluxe version before eventually getting released in its own right. Upon release the song was universally praised by critics & became a moderate hit due it being on an album that was well over a year old & sold millions already by this point. In the USA it managed to reach a peak of #46, becoming the album's lowest charting single but still managed to sell over 500,000 digital downloads & earn a Gold certification (so not too bad for a single #7). Elsewhere it managed top 20 peaks in Iceland & Lebanon, top 40 peaks in Australia & Scotland, then elsewhere it scored minor dents in countries such as Canada, Japan, UK & France.

Wow there was a lot of love for this & didn't expect it to finish this high considering its not one of her biggest or most well known releases. This just goes to show how much high quality this & the amazing album its come from & considering it was relegated to bonus-track status just says something about how overstuffed with potential hits "1989" was. Definitely one of the album's strongest numbers & when this was announced as a single I was pleasantly surprised as how often do Deluxe tracks get a look in, more often than not their overshadowed & more or less forgotten. However bringing this to a wider audience was just swell with its galloping urgency, cool synths with hints of electro-pop & a rousing catchy chorus which just soars. All of which makes for a near perfect pop song.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 3rd April 2020, 11:31 PM
Post #82
Group icon

A quick re-cap of the results 11-20 =

11. New Romantics - 8.312
12. Love Story - 7.968
13. Mine - 7.937
14. Mean - 7.843
15. Back To December - 7.718
16. You Need To Calm Down - 7.625
17. Shake It Off - 7.562
18. 22 - 7.5
19. Bad Blood (Ft Kendrick Lemar) - 7.468
20. The Story of Us - 7.437

What's to feature in the top 10 in chronological order =

You Belong With Me
I Knew You Were Trouble
Red
Blank Space
Style
Wildest Dreams
Out of the Woods
Delicate
Lover
The Man

Just for fun what's to come from each era =

Taylor Swift = 0/5
Fearless = 1/5
Speak Now = 0/6
Red = 2/7
1989 = 4/7
Reputation = 1/5
Lover = 2/4

Thoughts, Predictions, please feel free 2 share....

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 4th April 2020, 12:44 AM
Post #83
Group icon

A clue as to what will drop next

It was a top 10 hit in one country (UK or US), but not the other (UK or US)

There's 4 options to pick from, any guesses...

+Quote this post
StupidLove
post 4th April 2020, 01:15 AM
Post #84
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 104,307

1989 really had an impeccable run of singles, the only thing I'd change is making Welcome To New York the last single over New Romantics. Still Shake It Off - Out Of The Woods is impressive.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 4th April 2020, 01:33 AM
Post #85
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Amazing result for New Romantics!! Red and The Man both top 10 heart.gif heart.gif

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 4th April 2020, 06:31 AM
Post #86
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

wonder if Delicate could be a surprise winner? nice top 10, I would only change You Belong with Shake it off

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 4th April 2020, 02:30 PM
Post #87
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

I'm glad New Romantics overperfomed! <3 one of my Taylor faves and just pure-pop PERFECTION. Can't believe it was only a deluxe track and it getting a tour video aha :/ I feel like a new-romantics-like lead single for lover would've been perfect haha.

Love Story has such a major place in my heart and it still goes off every time I hear it when I'm out <3

so 10th can be any of You Belong With Me, Red, Style, Wildest Dreams or Lover. It def won't be the 1989 singles. I'll guess Red but I wouldn't be shocked if its YBWM after LS' underperformance

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 5th April 2020, 05:18 AM
Post #88
Group icon

My heart's been borrowed and yours has been blue

#10. Lover | Avg.8.343

Highest Scores: 10: (FUTURE NOSTALGIA, SamJudd, George.keh, JosephInSpace), Lowest Scores: 5: (Monzo)

Kicking off the top 10 is one of Taylor's more recent efforts "Lover", released in August 2019 as the 3rd single from her 7th studio album of the same name & shows Taylor going back to her Country roots while incorporating indie-folk & Pop into the mix. The track received universal acclaim by music critics & became a commercial success by reaching #10 in the USA, becoming her 25th top 10 hit, while reaching top 5 peaks in Australia & New Zealand, top 10 in Lebanon, Canada & Ireland, along with top 20 peaks in 11 other countries including the UK becoming her 15th top 20 hit there to date. Three months after it was released the song was remixed to feature Canadian singer Shawn Mendes, as well as releasing a second remix with a reworked orchestral arrangement, titled "First Dance Remix". Both remixes received positive reviews from music critics.

Certainly one Taylor's most beautiful & strongest releases she's done in her recent years with its simple echoing acoustic arrangement, which makes this the first real standout from the 'Lover' era (especially after the hit & miss first 2 singles), with its smooth, swaying & elegant tone which really sets a romantic mood & while some may dismiss this as too sweet, but Taylor really prevents that from happening where she sets the mood so convincingly. Her vocals are warm & full of life on its stunning production. One can't help but feel that releasing this in the summer time was a bit odd as its far more fitting for Christmas time where it could have really been more appreciated.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 5th April 2020, 08:25 AM
Post #89
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

oh was expecting this to be higher, Lover is definitively better than You Belong or Red

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post 5th April 2020, 08:27 AM
Post #90
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 5,392

You Need To Calm Down is that bitch. should have been much higher!

Rooting for I Knew You Were Trouble or Delicate to win!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 5th April 2020, 02:26 PM
Post #91
Group icon

Faster than the wind, passionate as sin, ending so suddenly

#9. Red | Avg.8.437

Highest Scores: 10: (FUTURE NOSTALGIA, blacksquare, Riser), Lowest Scores: 6: (WinterFreeze, Tawdry Hepburn, Bjork)

At #9 we have "Red", first released in October 2012 as the 2nd promotional single from her 4th studio album of the same name, then eventually released in June 2013 as the 5th official single. Upon release the song received polarizing reviews, but managed to become a success by debuting at #6 on the US Top 100, as well as hitting #2 on the US Country charts, becoming the album's 4th top 10 hit & went onto sell over 2 Million copies there. Elsewhere it was a moderate success by hitting top 5 in Canada, top 20 in New Zealand & top 40 peaks in Ireland, UK & Australia as well as minor peaks in 3 other countries.

One of the more pure Country tracks on the album that bridges the gap between past & future sounds with its mixed influences of a banjo up against stammering electronic vocal effects, melodramatic orchestration and stadium rock chorus which for a rather scattered, yet appealing track where the lyrics use colours and metaphors to describe an intense relationship is simple yet quite effective as Taylor's vocal delivery packs its usual charm and really sells the whole thing. On the whole its a decent number, but I don't know whether I'd rank it this high, but still a really good song & a definite highlight on an album that's packed to the brim with classic gems.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 5th April 2020, 02:34 PM
Post #92
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

So pleased that 'Red' has finished as high as 9th *.* my second favourite song to come out of that era after 'I Knew You Were Trouble' heart.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 6th April 2020, 10:01 PM
Post #93
Group icon

You say you're fine I know you better than that.

#8. You Belong With Me | Avg.8.562

Highest Scores: 11: (Monzo), 10: (FUTURE NOSTALGIA, SamJudd, ready for it, WinterFreeze, Jade), Lowest Scores: 4: (Bjork)

At #8 we not only say goodbye to the last of Taylor's Country tunes (meaning this is Buzzjack's fave), but we also lose our 3/7 eras. "You Belong With Me", released in April 2009 as the 3rd single from her 2nd album "Fearless" & was instantly labelled as one of the album's best tracks by fans and critics. Upon release the song became a huge success by reaching #2 on the US Top 100, surpassing the peak of its lead single there and went onto sell over 4.9 Million units and established the largest crossover radio audience since the year 2000. Elsewhere it also enjoyed success by reaching top 5 peaks in Canada, Australia & New Zealand, & top 20 peaks in Ireland, Japan & Slovakia, as well as top 40 peaks in UK, Hungary & Denmark. The song has become one of the biggest selling hits worldwide with sales of 7 Million as well as winning several awards, namely the infamous MTV Music Video awards where that incident with Kanye West happened (but I think we all know about that by now, don't we).

When this song won best video at the MTV Music Video awards, it provoked Kanye West so much - that his delusional belief that his ridiculous protest made her famous, despite the song selling millions of copies already by this point mmm. As for the song itself its a nice little well written tune about unrequited love in a high school setting with Taylor casting herself as the outcast instead of the cheerleader seems a bit insane (even back then), but she sings the impossibly catchy lyrics with such infectious conviction that you don't really question it. Along with its slick production & fun melody, Taylor's charm really shines through and makes it work. Definitely one of her strongest from this early period in her career.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 6th April 2020, 10:46 PM
Post #94
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Pleased 'Love Story' missed the top 10, it's a total cringe-fest.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 7th April 2020, 03:33 PM
Post #95
Group icon

I'm so sick of running as fast as I can...

#7. The Man | Avg.8.687

Highest Scores: 10: (Monzo, FUTURE NOSTALGIA, SamJudd, Jack, Riser, Bjork, Jade), Lowest Scores: 6.5/6: (George.keh, Euphorique)

At #7 is Taylor's latest single "The Man", released in January 2020 as the 4th single from her 7th studio album "Lover", also making this the last from that era in this countdown. The song received critical acclaim upon release with praise towards its lyrics about sexism and women empowerment. In honour of International Women's Day of this year the song was added to playlists on streaming platforms such as Apple Music, Spotify and Tidal. The song's success mainly came from the release of its parent album and charted well in several countries due to strong digital downloads. It peaked at #23 in the USA becoming the album's 4th consecutive top 40 hit, while reaching top 20 peaks in New Zealand, Ireland & Australia as well as top 40 peaks in several countries namely Canada, UK, Lithuania & Norway. Although by the time it finally got released it failed to make much impact, mainly due to its delayed release.

This song feels like such a wasted opportunity as it easily could have smashed if released last year, instead of waiting so long, WHY wasn't this the 2nd or 3rd single. Definitely one of her catchiest bops to date where lyrically it captures the deadweight double-standard she has been judged by from the start. This anthem showcases her talents at its highest level with its synthetic dance sound, dynamic synths & crunchy electronic production along Taylor's monotone vocal delivery which totally sells it. On the whole a great feminist anthem that's not only empowering, but fun as hell and an interesting topic to tackle along with its clever music video where she transforms into a male alter-ego which was just genius.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 7th April 2020, 04:34 PM
Post #96
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

The Man is too good to be a flop :/ her last 2 eras have been a mess when it comes to picking up singles

+Quote this post
StupidLove
post 7th April 2020, 06:35 PM
Post #97
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 104,307

Shame The Man wasn't the lead single tbh, I hate ME

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 7th April 2020, 06:39 PM
Post #98
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

'The Man' is amazing. So, SO good. I imagine it won't be as high as this next time there's a singles rate because of it not being a hit. But what a bop!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 7th April 2020, 10:50 PM
Post #99
Group icon

My reputation's never been worse

#6. Delicate | Avg.8.812

Highest Scores: 10: (Monzo, FUTURE NOSTALGIA, SamJudd, ready for it, George.keh, Jonjo, Riser, Bjork), Lowest Scores: 4: (WinterFreeze)

At #6 is the last of the "Reputation" singles with "Delicate", released in March 2018 as the 6th and final official single from that album. Upon release the song was instantly praised for its lyrical vulnerability and production, and was noted as an album highlight and became a sleeper hit in the USA by reaching #12 & ultimately spending 35 weeks on the chart, longer than any of the album's other singles and went onto sell over 2 Million copies. Elsewhere it was a moderate hit by reaching top 20 in Canada & top 40 peaks in Australia, Ireland & New Zealand, while reaching top 50 in the UK.

Certainly the musical opposite of the earlier singles, peeling back all the noise and showing off her more subdued side that's set against a gentle wash of electronics and equipped with a emotional yet killer chorus, along with her sensual & breathy vocals shows Taylor at her most tentative. Definitely much rather this side of her rather than trying to play the villain which wasn't entirely convincing or successful, the more vulnerable side plays better on what I think we can all agree is the best moment on 'Reputation', the more honest and direct approach was the best way to go.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 7th April 2020, 10:54 PM
Post #100
Group icon

This is what's to come in the top 5 =

I Knew You Were Trouble
Blank Space
Style
Wildest Dreams
Out Of The Woods

Thought's, Predictions do share...

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread