BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Can Katy pull off a “Shallow” type huge comeback?, Thoughts
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
post 30th March 2022, 10:54 AM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Yeah, Spotify Support from the two main playlists were the missing link for this sadly.

A chart run of 72-72-59-68-52-61-65-49-53-56-52-58-59 (so far) goes to show it could have done really well with said support.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
BREAKTHETENSION
post 30th March 2022, 09:55 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 5,648

Katy’s career trajectory has been really similar to Christina Aguilera’s in some ways.

1st album: Both had an equally HUGE debut single, that seemed to launch their careers overnight.
2nd album: HUGE commercial success with their second albums. The peak of their careers.
3rd album: Maintained commercial success for their 3rd albums, however not able to repeat the success of their second efforts.
4th album A commercial flop for both and ridicule/criticism from the public.
5th album: Dead on arrival

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 31st March 2022, 12:48 AM
Post #23
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

The only reason Prism struggled is because theyr eleased some garbage singles. With the right run and marketing het as Queen of Halloween, keeping Black Widow and joining the other two on it, ahe would have had 5 or 6 no.1s from it.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 29th June 2022, 04:08 PM
Post #24
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Yes!

Edit: I had linked to “(Did Somebody Say) Just Eat” that was on Apple Music, but it appears to have gone now!

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 30th June 2022, 09:09 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

QUOTE(34+35 @ Mar 30 2022, 10:55 PM) *
Katy’s career trajectory has been really similar to Christina Aguilera’s in some ways.

1st album: Both had an equally HUGE debut single, that seemed to launch their careers overnight.
2nd album: HUGE commercial success with their second albums. The peak of their careers.
3rd album: Maintained commercial success for their 3rd albums, however not able to repeat the success of their second efforts.
4th album A commercial flop for both and ridicule/criticism from the public.
5th album: Dead on arrival

I agree that both their album 3's were a result of poor single choices - Hurt over Candyman was such an odd idea (the idea in theory was Hurt to be a big, winter ballad).

I believe the same for Katy with Unconditionally over Dark Horse....

In both cases the ballad would've worked as the third single, not the 2nd.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 2nd July 2022, 02:49 AM
Post #26
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

On the fence about this, maybe she could if everything came together perfectly. But at the moment, I highly doubt it as that awful 'Witness' album really tanked her career & so quickly as a month after the album got released her commercial success took a total nose dive, despite a pretty successful lead single, which to date stands as her last top 10 hit. The awful follow ups completely tanked, despite big name features & big budget music videos. When 'Witness' album followed these, it wasn't well recieved either due to its dire quality. Katy really struggled to adapt to the new streaming era & needed stronger material which the album didn't have.

The awful excuse for a human being Dr Luke was the one responcible for all her big hits in the past & since she couldn't work with him anymore, she got woke & went broke. The classic case of a popstar trying to mature their sound & stripping away everything that made them successful in the first place. When Lady Gaga released 'Shallow', sure she had a slight commercial decline with her 'Artpop' album, but even that wasn't an outright flop like 'Witness' was & plus Gaga was still having some decent success with the 'Joanne' album & 'Million Reasons' was sleeper hit, okay not on the same level as her earlier stuff, but she was 9 years into her career at that point, same as Katy. Also Gaga has always had a much stronger fanbase that can pretty much secure decent first week sales.

Let's look back at Katy's career by album eras:

One of The Boys - An impressive start with 3 massive singles & an iconic lead single 'I Kissed A Girl' which instantly put her on the map & this could have easily been a one hit wonder by a lesser artist, but thankfully Katy had the goods to back this up with an even better follow up single 'Hot N' Cold', which was just as memorable & almost matched the lead's commercial success. This was a great starting point for bigger things around the next corner.

Teenage Dream - This was Katy at her upmost commercial peak with Katy's big bright pop sound fully realized. The singles all 8 of them were the perfect choices that became defining moments that further cemented her legacy, with each song being an event in pop culture history. Everything here was perfectly handled & turned Katy Perry into a major global icon & quite possibly the biggest popstar in the world. Quite an achievement given that this was only her 2nd album.

Prism - A strong follow up album which got off to a flying start with the lead single 'Roar' which to date remains her biggest selling hit & still managed to maintain her massive commercial success, although not on the same level as 'TD' which was always gonna be an hard act to follow, but 'Prism' was a great progession from that sound & a prime example of an artist maturing their sound while still maintaining the fun & spark that made her special in the first place. However the single choices apart from the mega smash hit 'Dark Horse' weren't as strong or quite as successful with just 2 out of the 5 singles hitting the top 10. I do think that a slight re-think to the run of singles could have been much better & maybe more successful.

My Prism run would have went = "Roar">"Unconditionally">"Dark Horse">"Walking On Air">"Legendary Lovers">"By The Grace of God" (this has a possible 6th single choice if the 'LL' did well)

Witness - Already spoke about this, but this was where everything went downhill a true career killing moment that Katy couldn't recover from. The lacklustre production, terrible styling, cringey promp & awful single choices that failed to represent the album accurately. This wasn't the sound that fans or the public wanted. I do commend Katy for at least trying to evolve herself as an artist.

Smile - Katy needed something strong to bounce back from the commercial flop of 'Witness', but unfortuneatly this wasn't quite up to par & suffered a lot of the same problems as the last album did by lacking the quality & joy of her earlier releases. The haphazrd releases of the singles didn't help either as each track flopped harder than the last & failed to create any substantial hype for the album, which was dead in the water by the time it was released. It was only a slight improvement over the last which simply wasn't enough to save her career.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 2nd July 2022, 02:50 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

LL, Walking on Air, Dark Horse and, one Halloween later, Black Widow, would have been the perfect singles for Prism. Had she released these and ONLY these, she'd likely have had a run of US #1s again, and Prism would have ended up almost as big as TD.

1. Roar
2. Dark Horse for Halloween

Wait for Roar and Dark Horse to die down, so we're looking st arounf March for the 3rd single, unless she goes with Unconditionally as a small stop-gap

3. Legendary Lovers in Spring, although she could also have gone for flop Unconditionally in the early months, too. It wouldn't have derailed much between a bunch of heavy hitters.
4. Walking on Air in the summer

Break of a few months again

5. Black Widow. Katy Perry FEATURING Rita Ora and Iggy Izaelia, with a second, Katy-only version, plus a third Rita/ Iggy-only version, on i-Tunes as well, with an accompanying video for thr solo Katy version. Market herself as Queen of Halloween, preparing the ground for Bon Appetit and a song from Smile to be released as Halloween hits.

Boom. An era almost as big as Teenage Dream, just like that!

Witness is ... terrible, truly terrible. However, a better run of singles would have been:

1. Roulette in late spring, followed by:
2. Tsunami in summer, followed by:
-- Promo single: Swish Swish--
3. Bon Appetite for Halloween, with the video advertised as funny body horror
4. Witness for winter
5. Chained to the River, as the final song in spring/ summer, for a moderately-sized singles run.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 2nd July 2022, 07:19 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

I really enjoyed Chained, BA and Swish Swish, I think they are fun bops still today even though not career highlights.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 2nd July 2022, 08:16 PM
Post #29
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

I tend to agree, marketing Bon Appetit as sexy instead of as weird and funny was a really strange choice that I think made a lot of people think Katy herself was weird and crazy.

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 20th September 2022, 05:01 AM
Post #30
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

If she would release the Just Eat song she would.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 22nd September 2022, 10:55 AM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

I genuinely think if the Just Eat song was released it'd be a hit or at least do an Ashley O lmao.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 04:21 PM