BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Eurovision get to know u
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post May 19 2018, 11:20 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Idk what else to call it but saw this on Twitter and thought it would be interesting for us to fill these out!

1) The first Eurovision entry you remember hearing
2) Your favourite second placer
3) An entry that makes you laugh
4) An entry that gets you dancing
5) An artist you love who's competed more than once
6) Your favourite staging
7) An entry with an important message
8) Your favourite alternative entry
9) An English language entry you love
10) A non-English entry you love
11) An entry that makes you cry
12) A national final song you love
13) A non-Eurovision song by a Eurovision artist you love
14) Your favourite Eurovision meme
15) A country you'd love to come back to Eurovision
16) Your favourite postcard
17) Your favourite winner
18) An unpopular entry you like
19) An entry you hated but now love
20) An artist you'd love to see compete again
21) Your favourite Eurovision country
22) A song you'd love to perform yourself
23) Your 2018 fave

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdmH6IfUQAENhOu.jpg:large
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tangela
post May 19 2018, 11:53 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Tangelic
User: 23,643
Nice idea Liam smile.gif

Secret Garden "Nocturne" - I was only little but I specifically remember this one first!

It's got to be Dami Im "Sound Of Silence" hasn't it? THAT PERFORMANCE!!

Rodolfo Chikilicuatre "Baila El Chiki Chiki" became a bit of a meme at the time with a circle of friends

Tina Karol "Show Me Your Love" - actually I could've had this for number 3 too; some very questionable pronunciations make for some comically naughty sounding lines!!

Mmm that's a tough one. Helena Paparizou?

I'm not sure on this one.

Trackshittaz "Woki Mit Deim Popo"

This year's was "Mercy" by Madame Monsieur

There are too many to choose from!

"Nar Jag Blundar" by Pernilla wub.gif

Ryan O'Shaugnessy "Together" made me teary eyed whenever I watched the video and with both performances

I've not really followed national finals. "Lo Malo" from Spain this year was excellent though

Loreen has a good number; "My Heart Is Refusing Me" was excellent. "Mambo" by Helena Paparizou and "Here I Am" by Sertab as well!

Well, all of them! Turkey surely leads the pack but Monaco, Luxembourg, Andorra, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Slovakia - please all come back! Morocco also welcome haha.

Haven't really got one!

Well it's hard to beat "Euphoria"

Salvador Sobral "Amar Pelos Dois"

Patricia Kaas "Et s'il Fallait Le Faire"

Lucie Jones for the UK but doing something along the lines of "Shady Lady"

Belgium have been solid mostly this decade (save "Mother"); France have also become pretty consistent! Sweden is an obvious one too but they've kind of gotten a bit too clinical

Oh I've done SO many on karaoke. "Rise Like A Phoenix" was always a big one; had to drop that a couple of keys to be able to perform it though! My favourite to perform has actually been "You Are The Only One" by Sergey Lazarev - I did not realise just how hard a song that is to sing until I did it! How Sergey sang it AND performed by climbing up a wall, I'll not know... underrated tbh

23) Your 2018 fave
Eleni Foureira "Fuego" just overtook Madame Monsieur "Mercy"

This post has been edited by Midge: May 19 2018, 11:55 PM

+Quote this post
Liаm
post May 19 2018, 11:53 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
Turkey 2003: Sertab Erener - Every Way That I Can wub.gif I was only 6 but I really remember loving it and I've watched Eurovision every year since then!

Australia 2016: Dami Im - Sound Of Silence, such a show stopping performance and I was so proud of an artist I'd loved for a few years smashing it like that, she really was robbed of the win as much as I love Jamala.

Iceland 2006: Silvia Night - Congratulations, I absolutely love the trolliness of it rotf.gif Like imagine us just sending Vicky Pollard or Catherine Tate's Nan loool. Also the furore around it, like the fact that in Greece there was news coverage thinking she was really a huge diva and not realising she was a comedy character over in Iceland.

Israel 2015: Nadav Guedj - Golden Boy, BANGER.

Carola is 3 for 3 with her entries, I can't choose between Invincible and Fangad av en stormvind as my fave, depends on my mood.

I'm just gonna say Sweden 2012: Loreen - Euphpria as a cop out I'll probably say multiple times because everything about that performance was perfect, you just can't take your eyes off her and the way it's presented wub.gif

I think Israel 2018: Netta - Toy is so important, it came at exactly the right time and feels so important as a winner!

Belgium 2017: Blanche - City Lights just edges out Latvia 2015, such a special song and once she sorted out her rabbit in headlights thing it was such a moment on stage!

Obv there are tonnes so I shuffled my Eurovision faves and got Greece 2008: Secret Combination by Kalomira *.* A fab ethno-bop from Greece, a bit of its time but certainly a deserved smash.

Gonna go for a random pick of Germany 1995: MeKaDo - Wir geben ne party, so dated and of its time but so fun laugh.gif I can never unhear "makin' a curry" tho x

Germany 2018: Michael Schulte - You Let Me Walk Alone is just stunning wub.gif Once you hear the story abotu him losing his dad and him learning he was gonna be a father during this journey it has so much meaning to it.

I'm gonna go with Kom by Timoteij, to think we could have had that BOP and we got Anna f***ing Bergendahl for Sweden 2010 manson.gif

My BJSC winner Vulcano by Francesca Michielin, who represented Italy in 2016! I could just say her whole discography tbh wub.gif

I feel AWFUL but there was one that put like an RPG battle menu over SuRie and her stage invader and the options had "bash" in and I cackled rotf.gif

I'd love Morocco back as a slightly random one, imagine the Arabic ethnobops they could bring *.*

f*** knows ngl I don't pay much attention to have a fave

OF COURSE Sweden 2012: Loreen - Euphoria which is possibly my fave song EVER period!

In terms of being a flop AND never getting love from fans, France 2014: Twin Twin - Moustache. 2 points wtf, it was such a bop!

Bulgaria 2017: Kristian Kostov - Beautiful Mess, it took until months after 2017 for me but I really do love it now, better late than never. I'm glad I didn't love it at the time in a way as it'd have made Portugal somehow winning even worse kink.gif

Francesca Michielin with an undeniable BANGER that takes a win for Italy and makes her a star WW plz x

Hmm.. I could be predictable and say Australia or Sweden, Italy and Israel have really pulled it off in the past handful of years though so would have to be up there!

I mean I could barely pull of That's How You Write A Song but I'd love something fun like Golden Boy or Occidentali's Karma.

23) Your 2018 fave
As a song, We Got Love by Jessica Mauboy and I haven't mentioned her yet but I did mention Toy, shout out to Fuego though as this top 3 of 2018 is basically inseparable.

+Quote this post
Tangela
post May 19 2018, 11:57 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Tangelic
QUOTE(Liаm @ May 20 2018, 12:53 AM) *
Iceland 2006: Silvia Night - Congratulations, I absolutely love the trolliness of it rotf.gif Like imagine us just sending Vicky Pollard or Catherine Tate's Nan loool. Also the furore around it, like the fact that in Greece there was news coverage thinking she was really a huge diva and not realising she was a comedy character over in Iceland.

YES! And to think this would've been a finalist if they hadn't have had TEN auto-qualifiers back then ON TOP of the big 4 sleep.gif

This post has been edited by Midge: May 19 2018, 11:57 PM

+Quote this post
Liаm
post May 20 2018, 12:03 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
If only laugh.gif it would have been such a moment in the final with everyone getting to see it! I can imagine such a troll entry in the social media age, she went all the way and then some and it'd be incredible if something like that happened in this day and age.

+Quote this post
Silas
post May 20 2018, 01:36 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
QUOTE(Midge @ May 20 2018, 12:53 AM) *
I've not really followed national finals.

Loreen has a good number; "My Heart Is Refusing Me" was excellent.

12monts pre-Euphoria wink.gif

+Quote this post
Tangela
post May 20 2018, 02:10 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Tangelic
QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ May 20 2018, 02:36 PM) *
12monts pre-Euphoria wink.gif

Well you pretty much proved my point there hahaha!! I had no idea ohmy.gif

The song I actually meant to post, though, was "Crying Out Your Name" - I haven't listened to her stuff in quite a while it seems, clearly laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post May 20 2018, 04:15 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155
A lot of these answers are 2018 dominated.. probably because it’s all fresh

2014 Molly ‘Children Of The Universe’, obviously I’ve heard previous year’s entries but I can’t remember etc.. plus, 2014 was the year I really started to take notice of the ESC

Fuego by Eleni Foureira

Ukraine 2007

Heroes by Mans

Netta - Toy. I’m sure there’s many others but I cba to think back tbh! laugh.gif

2018 France

Blanche - City Lights

France 2018 already!

Eye Cue - Lost And Found

Eleni Foureira

Can’t remember

Heroes - Sweden

Zibbz - Stones

Molly Smitten-Downes

Sweden, always serving bops

Fuego laugh.gif

23) Your 2018 fave
Fuego

This post has been edited by Cqmerqn: May 20 2018, 04:16 PM

+Quote this post
Silas
post May 20 2018, 06:19 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
QUOTE(Midge @ May 20 2018, 03:10 PM) *
Well you pretty much proved my point there hahaha!! I had no idea ohmy.gif

The song I actually meant to post, though, was "Crying Out Your Name" - I haven't listened to her stuff in quite a while it seems, clearly laugh.gif

Hahaha! I actually prefer MHIRM to Euphoria and the lightly edited version on the album (compared to the original 2011 single) is sublime.

MFest usually has a few gems each year

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post May 22 2018, 11:09 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837
I don't wanna spoil the results of my countdown so instead of choosing my faves for these I'll just choose the first songs that pop in my head that I like.

Selma - All Out Of Luck (Iceland '99)

Dami Im - Sound of Silence (Australia '16) was great. I usually prefer the runner-up to the winner though.

Pasha Parfeny - Lautar (Moldova '12) - the dancers were so funny

Euroband - This Is My Life (Iceland '08) - proper banger

Poli Genova (Bulgaria '11 & Bulgaria '16)

Iveta Mukuchyan - LoveWave (Armenia '16) - made me go from meh to WOW thanks to mainly camerawork and a little fire

Madame Monsieur - Mercy (France '18) I suppose.

Manga - We Could Be The Same (Turkey '10) really great!

Molly - Children Of The Universe (United Kingdom '14) though this one is really wide open lmao

Il Volo - Grande Amore (Italy '15) - masterpiece!

Dino Merlin - Love In Rewind (Bosnia & Herzegovina '11) honestly one of the few songs to make me teary eyed

Adelén - Bombo (Norway '13) so many to choose from but this would have been amazing, just a shame it was in the same year as Margaret Berger who was just a smidge more amazing

Laura Tesoro - Higher (Belgium '16) - not wanting to be cheap and go for Loreen (since she's already been chosen by previous posters) but this was on rotation for me all last summer

Yeah Yeah Fire lol

Turkey for sure

Oh um idk. I liked the ones at Eurovision 2009 with the girls wearing landmarks from each country in their hair haha.

Loreen is the easy choice here but I also unashamedly love Ruslana so much

Trackshittaz - Woki Mit Deim Popo (Austria '12) is SUCH a jam!!

O'G3NE - Lights & Shadows (Netherlands '17) - the live performance sold it for me

So many but I'd so love to see Silvia Night return. It would be so epic.

Not necessarily my all-time fav country but I was surprised to learn I love as many French entries as I do.

lmao none of them thanks. I don't sing

23) Your 2018 fave
Eleni Foureira - Fuego (Cyprus '18) - It's a tight race but it's the one I'm still listening most to

+Quote this post
alby
post May 22 2018, 01:43 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 19,115
When working through this I realised that I could give about five answers for most of these questions, so I’ve tried where possible to only use an entry once in an attempt to spread my answers around a little:

The first time I ever watched Eurovision was the 2011 Final and that was kicked off by Paradise Oskar - Da Da Dam

There are a lot of great second placers out there but one that stands out for me is the absolutely stunning Lane moje by Zeljko Joksimovic

The fact that the EBU were completely fine with the name Trackshittaz will never not be funny

There’s just something really uplighting about If Love Was A Crime. Plus, the bit of Bulgarian in the chorus is such a lovely touch

This could only be the legend that is Valentina Monetta!

The tree from 1944 gives me goosebumps every single time I watch it, even now

Rise Like A Phoenix for both the message of the song itself and the message sent by the fact it was able to win (and get good televoting support even across much of Eastern Europe in the process)

I remember seeing Love Injected performed in 2015 and thinking it was so captivating and refreshing

LoveWave is just pretty iconic all round tbh

När jag blundar is just such a beautiful song

There was a point last year where Anja - Where I Am ended up really resonating with me

There are loads of Melfest songs I could have listed here but recently I’ve been listening a lot to Michele Bravi - Il diario degli errori from Sanremo 2017 (plus, his duet with Annalisa in this year’s Sanremo was great!)

This is a slightly left field choice but I’m going to go for Ses Etme by Athena (who represented Turkey in Istanbul 2004) and the video is really amazing as well (although to warn people who haven't seen it before, there are clips of violence towards the end)

I’m not really that familiar with many Eurovision memes, although I suppose I have seen a few funny versions of the SuRie stage invasion meme on Twitter

Like others have said I’d ideally like every country to return! But I really hope the success of Czechia this year persuades Slovakia to have another go soon

The 2014 postcards are far and away the best set of postcards I can remember! Seriously, all of the 2014 set are great but Ukraine’s is probably my favourite of the bunch

This is such a tough question! According to iTunes my most-played Eurovision winner is Everyway That I Can so I guess that’s a fitting answer

Fusedmarc - Rain of Revolution (and I know I’m not alone in this!)

I couldn’t think of anything obvious so I went to hunt out my old sets of rankings and apparently 2014 me did not at all like Quero ser tua!?!?

Dami Im with an uptempo banger!

Sweden and Israel have been pretty consistent recently but I must admit I have a soft spot for Portugal (but bizarrely I’m not that keen on Amar Pelos Dois…)

Well I really can’t sing, so it’s going to have to be a lip sync version, but I’d go for Quédate conmigo - there are some huge notes towards the end that I imagine would be really good fun

23) Your 2018 fave
My top three would probably be Fuego, Monsters and O Jardim

This post has been edited by Alpha.: May 22 2018, 09:33 PM

+Quote this post
nickthenoodle
post May 23 2018, 10:07 PM
Post #12
Group icon
livin' legend you can look but don't touch
User: 4,844
The first one I was aware of being a Eurovision entry was perhaps Wild Dances
SO HARD: Fuego, Shady Lady, Dancing Lasha Tumbai, Lane Moje
Valentina - Social Network Song
Charlotte Pirelli - Hero (every Friday at 2 Brewers haha)
POLI GENOVA
Shine - Georgia 2010
Hard Rock Hallelujah
Yodel It
Molitva
Drip Drop after many a beer
TImoteij - Kom
Emmelie de Forest - Drunk Tonight or Ruslana - Hutsul Girl or Annet Artani - Alive or AySel - Say Maybe
Yeah, Yeah, FIRE
Turkey
Emmlie de Forest/Ruslana
Turkey 2012
Sofi Marinova - Love Unlimited
Poli Genova (she needs dat win)
Ukraine
The Balkan Girls (have done many a time haha)
23) Your 2018 fave
FUEGO

This post has been edited by nickthenoodle: May 23 2018, 10:15 PM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:46 PM