BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Liam's all time faves
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post 29th June 2018, 11:57 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I got super bored and did a playlist so I thought I'd order it to a top 200 and do one here as I haven't done one in a while ohmy.gif I didn't include 2017 songs as I don't think they can hold up against all time faves just yet, so soz to my top 2 of 2017 Dua Lipa - New Rules and Francesca Michielin - Vulcano which probably would have made it.

Some teasers:

- One artist has 8 entries ohmy.gif
- The oldest song is from 1964
- The newest songs are from 2016

Feel free to comment and join me in counting down if you find my ramblings or songs slightly interesting ;P
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 30th June 2018, 12:01 AM
Post #2
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Yassss hype *.*

Taylor better have 8 songs x Delicate for 1 x

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 30th June 2018, 12:25 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(UltraReputation @ Jun 30 2018, 01:01 AM) *
Yassss hype *.*

Taylor better have 8 songs x Delicate for 1 x

Omg thanks for spoiling you read my mind xo

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 30th June 2018, 01:48 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

200 Taylor Swift ft. The Civil Wars – Safe & Sound

Kicking us off is a 2011 soundtrack single from Taylor Swift, recorded for the action film The Hunger Games. I was super hyped for the film because of loving the books, and having some new Taylor music alongside it only made it even better! Taylor's vocals are so breathy and eerie, making the song sound quite claustrophobic, vulnerable and intimate, perfectly representing the feelings that Katniss feels for Prim and Rue in the film.

199 Gotye ft. Kimbra – Somebody That I Used To Know

Again from 2011, although it didn't take off worldwide (becoming a transatlantic #1) until the following year, this indie tinged pop song was a real slow grower on me before coming one of my all time faves. I remember it being in BJSC and making slight waves in Australia and I was like christ this is boring, then by the time it came around again I started to adore it wub.gif The subtleness of the track creeps up on you, there feels like there is real chemistry between Gotye & Kimbra, the way that the song builds to such a climax as the tension builds is incredible and I can see why this was such a megahit (sadly forgotten a bit nowadays though I feel for how much it sold), even winning a Grammy for Record Of The Year!

198 Pink - So What

2008 next, and an injection of attitude from P!nk! This was her 3rd UK #1, and embodies everything I love about Pink. The lyrics don't take themselves too seriously, but still feel empowering as they were written when Pink was fresh out of a relationship with her husband (who she is now back with *.*). It's such a sing-along pop anthem, it's got that sort of pumping club feel too, so it's pretty much perfect for many situations, and it's easy to see how it's one of her biggest song - quintessential Pink <3

197 Leona Lewis – Happy

Leona's 2009 lead single from her second album might be a bit forgotten nowadays, but it still stands as one of her absolute best for me! Robust production from Ryan Tedder sets this up perfectly, and Leona's emotional and technically flawless delivery carves out a melancholic and introspective story about seizing the day and get to happiness whatever you have to do along the way. This is sorely underrated I feel and is a prime example of why Leona was for a time one of the world's premier stars, and listening to this makes me sad that she no longer is sad.gif

196 Christina Perri – Jar Of Hearts

More balladry, a song from 2010 that became a million selling surprise UK hit in 2011. This raw and emotional rock ballad bares all the pain of a break-up that's dragged up when the ex wants to rekindle the flames of romance. The bare bones instrumental lets her voice shine and bring out everything in the lyrics, and you feel every word as if it was you that this bast*rd of an ex hurt.

195 Paula Abdul – Straight Up

Back to 1988 for some new jack swing from dancer turned pop starlet Paula Abdul! This became her big breakout hit, hitting #1 in the US and #3 in the UK, and I've loved it since I discovered it! It's so 80s in its rhythms and melodies which worm their way into their head.

194 Reba McEntire – Fancy

The first country song in this is from 1991, and a cover of the Bobbie's Gentry hit. This has become possibly Reba's signature hit in a four decade career full of hits, improving on the original imo by adding a country punch that eclipses the original's more delicate and subtle vocals.

193 Celine Dion – My Heart Will Go On

One of the most iconic ballads and movie songs of all time, My Heart Will Go On was the theme to 1997's Titanic, the biggest selling song of 1998, and one of the biggest songs of all time. It might be a cliche, it might be cheesy and overexposed, but there has seldom been a better key change in pop and I am a sucker for a huge ballad. Celine herself now hates performing the song though laugh.gif

192 Tina Arena - Chains

Another 90s hit, this time from Aussie national treasure Tina Arena. Chains is a silky smooth R&B tinged track which perfectly demonstrates both the smooth, sexy lower register and the vocal power that Tina has in spades, and was a hit in her home country as well as the UK and US. Recent years saw it honoured with a commerative performance at the ARIAs featuring Jessica Mauboy and The Veronicas, in a version that more than does justice to the original and returned her to the ARIA top 20 for the first time in 12 years.

191 Carrie Underwood - Blown Away

Rounding off this section is a 2012 hit from Carrie Underwood, the first of a few appearances she'll be making. This feels so unique among country songs, it's such a huge, cinematic song, it feels somethign that would be huge no matter who sang it but you can't imagine it not being sung by Carrie. As always her voice is huge and fills all the space within the song, bringing out the whole story and completely owning the song as a classic within her discography.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 1st July 2018, 10:48 AM
Post #5
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

I like Somebody That I Used To Know, Safe And Sound, Jar Of Hearts, My Heart Will Go On and So What.

Speaking of that Gotye song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzmLAtWspYo

+Quote this post
Tangela
post 1st July 2018, 11:15 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Tangelic
User: 23,643

That Gotye/Kimbra song is incredible - so strong in its subtlety - such a pleasant surprise when it dominated the number 1 spot across the world! I entered it for Belgium in DigitalSpy's Fantasy Eurovision back in 2011 when it hit number 1 in Australia and it got a mixed reaction (much like yours initially) though I finished 2nd behind Armenia, incidentally another song that'd go on to be big across the world (except the UK, oddly) - "Safe And Sound" by Capital Cities (not the Taylor Swift song haha).

Also LOVE that Leona track. Not sure if it's my favourite by her but I think it's incredible. I actually forget these days how much I loved her at the time.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 1st July 2018, 12:12 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

There is already a crossover from my chart to yours which seems unlikely as we have very different musical tastes. One of these songs is in my top 400 but I'm not saying which one it is as I haven't got that far yet.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 1st July 2018, 01:09 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ Jul 1 2018, 11:48 AM) *
I like Somebody That I Used To Know, Safe And Sound, Jar Of Hearts, My Heart Will Go On and So What.

Speaking of that Gotye song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzmLAtWspYo

laugh.gif

QUOTE(Midge @ Jul 1 2018, 12:15 PM) *
That Gotye/Kimbra song is incredible - so strong in its subtlety - such a pleasant surprise when it dominated the number 1 spot across the world! I entered it for Belgium in DigitalSpy's Fantasy Eurovision back in 2011 when it hit number 1 in Australia and it got a mixed reaction (much like yours initially) though I finished 2nd behind Armenia, incidentally another song that'd go on to be big across the world (except the UK, oddly) - "Safe And Sound" by Capital Cities (not the Taylor Swift song haha).

Also LOVE that Leona track. Not sure if it's my favourite by her but I think it's incredible. I actually forget these days how much I loved her at the time.

I think it was something like 11th in BJSC initially, but then did really well in the Best Of thing that year, a grower for many I'm sure!

Same, she's faded so much I don't really think of her now but at the time both of her first two albums were incredible!

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Jul 1 2018, 01:12 PM) *
There is already a crossover from my chart to yours which seems unlikely as we have very different musical tastes. One of these songs is in my top 400 but I'm not saying which one it is as I haven't got that far yet.

I'll have to keep an eye out now I'm actually in this part of the forum biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 1st July 2018, 01:11 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

190 Katy B – Crying For No Reason

Kicking off this section is a 2014 career definer from Katy B! I still go back to Katy On A Mission a lot and it was fresh and groundbreaking but this is her pinnacle wub.gif It's so raw and emotional, not something you necessarily expected from Katy, especially to lead an album, but it's still get breakstep influences so it maintains her sort of underground-gone-mainstream sound.

189 Alanis Morissette – You Oughta Know

A 90s classic next, from one of the best albums of all time. Previously finding minor success with teen-pop material in Canada in the early 90s, this angsty rock tune set her worldwide career into motion. The song is teeming with bitterness and vitriol, making it a go-to angry song, the lyrics are so cutting and scathing, they perfectly embody how you would feel in her situation.

188 Jessica Mauboy – Never Be The Same

An Aussie pop princess who has yet to see UK success, Jess scored the sixth top 10 of her career at home with this R&B tinged ballad. It's emotionally charged, embodying the album's themes of strength and being defiant in the face of adversity. This is one of many songs in her discography I feel could have easily been huge WW sung by say Rihanna or someone but Jess gets paid dust </3

187 Fergie ft. Ludacris - Glamorous

A 2006 R&B banger is next, the cream of a brilliant crop of singles from Fergie's debut solo offering. This is one of those songs that makes you feel like you are living the life in LA driving down the street with your roof down, feeling like the absolute SHIT *.* There's so much confidence and swagger in the way Fergie sings, the rap fits perfectly, and this queen is teaching the children the spelling like Gwen Stefani is going out business, what's not to love tbh?

186 Jordin Sparks ft. Chris Brown - No Air

I remember I actually hated this at first because it was ALWAYS on the music channels laugh.gif Thankfully I came round to it, this is a perfect powerful duet and I always have fight from doing a dramatic lipsync or performance to this complete for the air grabs that such a dramatic ballad demands x Both their voices fit so well together and this is such a perfect example of a powerful duet, something we need more of tbh.

185 TLC - Waterfalls

An undeniable classic, one of those songs that everyone knows and surely everyone loves (can't trust your taste if you don't tbh x). The melodies on this are insane, it's such a brilliantly written song that is so soulful and true to R&B whilst having such a pop appeal, with serious lyrics that bravely tackle tabboos such as drug addiction and AIDS, as well as an incredible rap from Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, all tied together by T-Boz's distinctive husky vocals. It has endured as their signature hit alongside No Scrubs, and was butchered by Stooshe in a career killing move just a few years ago kink.gif

184 JoJo - Too Little, Too Late

JoJo was a vocal powerhouse despite having her greatest success as a teen, and this song is a perfect example of that. This wonderfully melodramatic song deals with a boy who's messed you up coming back for more with the same old lines, perfectly mixing the feelings of heartbreak and contempt that would arise in such a situation. Despite being a teen, JoJo's vocals soar on this, making sure she rises above a lot of the teen-pop crowd and this song has serious cross-over appeal so its no wonder it was as big as her breakout hit Leave (Get Out) from a few years earlier.

183 Shakira ft. Wyclef Jean - Hips Don't Lie

The biggest hit of 2006 around the world, this is another undeniable classic that ALWAYS goes off in clubs, at parties etc. *.* This is a sexy and sassy salsa tune that makes you want to move your hips like you're from Colombia, and as always Shakira's unique vocals just bring it up another level. I remember being obsessed with this in the summer of 2006 and it's still a necessity to play when the sun comes out now!

182 Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Murder On The Dancefloor

An undeniable classic for the token cheesy room in any club *.* This has been a bit of an anthem for my uni years, it's always played at pres and they play it without fail at the club we normally do to. It's perfect sing-along pop, silky smooth disco that makes you want to dance and it's easily the best song she's done as well as surely her most remembered? <3

181 Miranda Lambert - The House That Built Me

A much different side to Miranda than you'll see later in this list (spoiler x), The House That Built Me is a stunning nostalgia trip that tells a story beautifully. Despite this being one of the few singles in her career Miranda didn't write herself, it feels like she's opening up about her own life and weaving her life story with the words she sings. The vocals are as striking as they need to be whilst staying tender, honest and organic. This showed Miranda's versatility to a wider audience, becoming her 2nd top 40 pop hit as well as her first country number 1, and is to date her biggest selling track!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 6th July 2018, 12:51 AM
Post #10
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

180 Indila – Derniere danse

This French smash from 2014 neevr made it to the UK, but it did smash across Europe. The melody is so hypnotic, it recalls Edith Piaf almost and soars with such classy excellence, but still feels like it was totally unique and modern. I wish this had done something in the UK but an English version would have drained it tbh and it had no chance being in a foreign language as well as not really commercial in the first place </3

179 Tove Styrke – White Light Moment

Another track that the UK paid dust, but at least she's a bit of blog fave nowadays. This was Tove's breakout single and remains her biggest hit, hitting #2 in Sweden. It's such a soaring pop track, I defy anyone not feel utter joy when the chorus takes off wub.gif

178 Paramore – The Only Exception

A more known song next, one of Paramore's more subdued songs and a silver top 40 hit for them! I love that this song as a single showed the wider public to the more vulnerable side of Hayley's voice. At the time it was a perfect attempt to dip their toe in something a bit wider appealing and poppier without going too far off course.

177 Selena Gomez & The Scene – Naturally

I remember being so excited when this was a hit over here *.* It's as simple, pure pop and innocent as you'd expect from a late 00s early 10s Disney starlet, but by god it is perfect pop wub.gif The chorus explodes and honestly this can easily compete with top tracks from the tier of big pop girls.

176 Gabrielle – Dreams

Fun fact: this was originally meant to sample Tracey Chapman's classic Fast Car but they couldn't get the copyright cleared ohmy.gif But the song is more than fine without it, Gabrielle's vocals feel so warming and comforting and the song is packed with melodies that worm into your head. It's a perfect soulful song and it's no wonder it was such a success, at the time being the highest debut position for a female artist (#2, later climbing to #1).

175 Vanessa Amorosi – This Is Who I Am

Chart fans *may* remember her one UK hit from 2000, Absolutely Everybody, but in her home country she was still going into the late 00s, scoring her first #1 in 2009 with this pop-rock anthem. This track perfectly melds her tried and tested pop-rock formula she'd established for herself whilst adhering to the electro-pop/dance-pop sound that was all the rage back then, making it an obvious hit without totally selling herself out! Sadly this never crossed over the UK, I saw it on music channels and it came to nothing </3

174 Paulini – Air It All Out (7th Heaven Radio Edit)

I discovered this through BJSC and it is still the best entry that isn't my own since I started wub.gif This is what BJSC is about, the song had like 50 views on Youtube but it was SO Buzzjack, and so Jake (the poster who sent it) and came 2nd (we don't talk about the monstrosity that beat it xx), and to this day I revisit it a lot - naturally as it's on this list!

173 KT Tunstall – Suddenly I See

A 2005 folk-rock anthem is next, from an album that sold over 1.6 million in the UK off the back of this and other singles! This female empowerment anthem alludes to strong women who know what they want and how to get it, and how they inspired KT herself to follow her dreams. Her vocals grab your attention and the country/folky/bluesy beat keeps you til the end.

172 Taylor Swift – Should’ve Said No

Another entry for Taylor, this time from her debut era, released as a single in 2007. Even as early as her first era, some 7 years before emerging from her chrysallis as a pop butterfly, this had some serious pop sensibility. Its theme of bitter anger and revenge makes it a song you kind of just want to belt out as if someone as has wronged you too despite being forever alone x

171 t.A.T.u. - All The Things She Said

Rounding off this section is a 2003 pop song that caused huge controversy at the time over its faux lesbian video, but ofc all publicity is good publicity and that led to a huge hit for the Russian duo. The whispered verses burn with the tension the protaganists of the song are feeling, and then the chorus explodes, as if they can't hold it in anymore and it all spills out.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 8th July 2018, 11:38 PM
Post #11
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Suddenly I See wub.gif You just don't get hits like that anymore, not that it was particularly huge anyway but it's aged great and seems very well remembered.

Jar Of Hearts and All The Things She Said would be in my all-time faves as well, and just a strong start overall. Crossing my fingers for another Fergie song to appear but Glamorous is fab too!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 12th July 2018, 12:34 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(Riser @ Jul 9 2018, 12:38 AM) *
Suddenly I See wub.gif You just don't get hits like that anymore, not that it was particularly huge anyway but it's aged great and seems very well remembered.

Jar Of Hearts and All The Things She Said would be in my all-time faves as well, and just a strong start overall. Crossing my fingers for another Fergie song to appear but Glamorous is fab too!

Yes definitely wub.gif V of its time but it has held up so well!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 12th July 2018, 01:35 AM
Post #13
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

170 Eminem ft. Rihanna – Love The Way You Lie

Yes an Eminem song ohmy.gif This is easily his best, as Rihanna's powerful chorus and his angry verses perfectly portray the abusive relationship that the songs illustrates, it's a huge song that just explodes and I was shook that Eminem was capable of something like this. Me flawlessly rapping this when drunk is iconic btw x

169 Ricky Martin – Livin’ La Vida Loca

An absolute BOP and one of the forefront of the mini Latin explosion of the late 90s and early 00s, this is still a classic in its circles *.* It's such a fun song, I defy anyone not sing along with the chorus (or the whole thing tbh) and want to get up and dance. This has sold close to a million copies in the UK, and was iconically used on Shrek 2 which is obv the height of Ricky's career.

168 Beyonce – I Was Here

Written by Diane Warren, this huge ballad is such a showstopper and really shows what Beyonce and vocals are capable of. The lyrics are a bit morbid but I think it has so much power, thinking about what mark you leave on the world years after you're gone. Obviously we all know Beyonce can SANG but I feel like this is one of those moments where you're like "wow sheis that bitch", one of her best moments for sure.

167 Sugababes – Push The Button

Pure pop perfection *.* This is really isn't much more than a bloody great pop song, but sometimes you don't need anything more. This is just a masterclass in pop and a perfect example of why the girls made such a mark, buoyed by the best line-up of 2.0. It's so catchy, with a super memorable video, and ended up as their biggest worldwide hit (despite being outsold by About You Now in the UK), hitting top 3 across Europe as well as Australia.

166 Paramore – Ignorance

After they broke out with Riot, this was a perfect lead for their next album Brand New Eyes, perfectly melding their moody rock with a chorus that sneaks into huge pop territory without compromising them at all. Hayley's voice oozes contempt, but still manages to make the song sound powerful rather than cold and boring.

165 P!nk – Please Don’t Leave Me

First of all the VIDEO *.* I can remember loving the song at the time so I watched it premiere on 4Music at like 11pm when I should've been in bed because I was so hyped, and I was shook!! The song is actually my fave of hers too, she has a few around the same level (I Don't Believe You and Just Like A Pill just outside this top 200 probs) but this is so fab, her voice is flawless on this, it sounds so bruised and bitter but reflective and desperate which is perfect for the love-hate relationship that the song focuses on.

164 Alanis Morissette – Uninvited

This is such an intense song that builds and builds, and it feels like only Alanis could truly draw everything out of it with her usual angst and scathing tone. The instrumnetal of this is incredible, from the tentative piano opening to the huge climax where the point of the song is (literally) drummed in, Alanis never loses any of the emotion of the song though and holds her own amongst a dramatic backdrop so that you still focus on every note she sings, and believe every word that they create.

163 Sanna Nielsen – Undo

A Eurovision smash from 2014 *.* This was somewhat compared to Wrecking Ball, but Miley WISHES. The verses are soft and yearning, as is the first chorus, but it soon builds into a huge booming pop song, in a way that only a Melfest Kempe write can. I was so happy when this won Melfest and finally got Sanna her Eurovision ticket after trying SIX times previously, and even happier when it came top 3 in Eurovision wub.gif

162 Nelly Furtado – Maneater

I remember being absolutely OBSESSED with this at the time, at the time I didn't really know she was (I remember liking I'm Like A Bird but not knowing it was the same person as this, I was 9 years old) but I heard this and was like woowwwww. This of course kicked off the incredible Loose era which is a masterclass in singles runs, this had such a different vibe to her other stuff but still felt like it was that same girl, just bursting out of her chrysallis into some pop goddess butterfly... If said butterfly was one of the ones in Asia O'Hara's Nasty lipsync, because we don't talk about the tankage that happened after she didn't fly for 6 years after Loose and ruined all her hype x

161 Janet Jackson – What Have You Done For Me Lately?

Finishing this section is a trip back to the 80s for the song that started it all for Janet, her breakout hit after a few misfires that never caught on. Compared to nice enough but forgettable tracks before this, this thumping track barged onto the music scene and showed her as a strong woman who had the balls and confidence to stand out, and the music to back it up. It remains one of her signature songs, in a career full of massive hits.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 29th July 2018, 06:57 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

160 Kylie Minogue – Confide In Me

This must have been a huge shock at the time, this pop princess was known for her perky Stock-Aitken-Waterman pop such as I Should Be So Lucky, Hand On Your Heart and Better The Devil You Know, but she came back with a new record deal and the lead single for her album was this, a trip hop infliuenced song with flecks of indie-pop and middle Eastern music. Of course we can all bop to her earlier stuff, but this was so classy and ethereal and a real turning point for her, and is still her best track in my eyes.

159 Rihanna ft. Mikky Ekko – Stay

Versatility is one of Rihanna's greatest traits, and this perfectly shows it. On a album that has urban jams like Pour It Up and dance bangers like Jump and Right Now, as the second single after the electronic mid-tempo Diamonds this is one of the best examples of Rihanna's vocals. The production is raw and stripped bare, allowing all the emotion to shine and we can really hear how Ri's voice improved throughout her career on this, it's gorgeous <3

158 Girls Aloud - The Promise

There a lot of retro soul-pop in 2008 thanks to Duffy, but this is something that really stood out from the others in this piece of glossy pop perfection *.* It's very Phil Spector, it's almost like if there was a lost Ronettes song that was unfinished and found and polished, turned into a 00s classic hit. At the same time, it feels like only GA could have done it and it slots in perfectly amongst their hits.

157 Marina & The Diamonds - Hollywood

Mowgli's Road passed me by when it was first released, so as her first hit this was the song that made me notice Marina and I was hooked on her from the first listen wub.gif It's an incredible pop song, with so many melodies and a wondorous hook, but it's also idiosyncratic in its biting cynicism on celebrity and consumer culture.

156 2NE1 - I Am The Best

This came a long way from me only giving it like 4 points in a BJSC semi laugh.gif Without a doubt my fave K-Pop song, it's an absolute stomper of a song with a really commercial electro-house feel. I always thought out of pretty much any K-Pop song, this had SUCH potential worldwide. I know all the words to this and it's a moment every time I nail it loool, I might not know what they mean but I make the right sounds x

155 Delta Goodrem - Believe Again

As the second single from Delta's 3rd album, this was another hit for her, mixing dance-pop styles with new-age and electronica influences. This starts in such a lush and atmospheric way, building up to what comes across as some lucky magical chant that feels like it's uplifting you with every word, it builds so nicely wub.gif

154 Whitney Houston – Greatest Love Of All

Despite always thinking of Miranda when I hear this, it's an absolute classic power ballad. Quintessential Whitney, this is an uplifting and inspiring song about looking towards yourself for a hero, rather than anybody else, and working towards your dreams by loving yourself. I can't help but belt this out, as ever with Whitney songs tbh.

153 Vanessa Amorosi - Absolutely Everybody

This is VERY of its time but it's just a bloody fab pop song whether it was released in 1999 or 2018. It's still her only hit in the UK, although she has had other Aussie hits (including This Is Who I Am from earlier in this countdown). This song is so uplifting, her vocals are fab, Singstar bar queen in the middle 8 *.*

152 Missy Elliot - Work It

Even better than the Honey G version xxx Her best song for me, it subverts dirty rap and makes the man the focus of that lens and I love that, the reversed bits in the chorus are brilliant and effective too.

151 Charlotte Church - Crazy Chick

Round off this section is a pop-rock classic, launching Charlotte Church from a teenage opera star to a pop princess, peaking at #2 in the process. This is so catchy and punchy, I remember loving it at the time and I still come back to now and go crazy for it *.*

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 29th July 2018, 07:35 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Confide In Me is easily Kylie's best song. I placed it at number 666 in my chart.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 4th August 2018, 05:40 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Jul 29 2018, 08:35 PM) *
Confide In Me is easily Kylie's best song. I placed it at number 666 in my chart.

Definitely wub.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 8th August 2018, 03:48 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

150 Rihanna – Disturbia

I remember somehow missing this until the video came out, I didn't have the deluxe album and didn't know she was releasing, I thought Take A Bow might even be for a new album, idk how I missed the entire deluxe edition but anyway one day I was watching 4Music's top 10 and it was #1, I was shook that I'd not heard it before laugh.gif Idk how I missed it, but I was sure aware of it at that point. Absolute banger and one of her best in a discography full of great songs.

149 Lily Allen – The Fear

This was a real turning point for Lily, her first album was brilliant but I remember being really struck by this as such a departure but still very her. It showed she wasn't just some one trick pony, this electro-pop suited her so well but it didn't dull her edge and the lyrics that make her music so great.

148 Whitney Houston – I Have Nothing

Another Whitney power ballad makes it here, I just can't resist them. The key change in this is one of the best ever, people do need to stop murdering it on reality TV tho x

147 M.I.A. – Paper Planes

This is an absolute classic of modern times for sure, something a bit different for M.I.A. but it still feels like only she could have released it (although a cover of this is my current BJSC spin-off entry, hype xx). The almost distant vocals really drums in the satirical lyrics, the production is top notch with so many elements you could pick out that make the song what it is, it's no wodner this was such a smash, even being nominated for the Record Of The Year Grammy in 2009!

146 Taylor Swift – Mean

The most pure country song on Speak Now and most probably her whole career, this is a firm Taylor fave for me! The bluegrass influence is great with the twangy rhythm, and this is a perfect song to show the biting side of Taylor's songwriting as she pokes fun at reviewers who spend their time slagging her off, because one day she'll be bigger than them. And hey, she's now one of the biggest pop stars in the world so she wasn't wrong! In fact, this was named the best country song of the 21st century by Rolling Stone *.*

145 Miranda Lambert – Gunpowder & Lead

Another country modern classic, this was Miranda's breakout song as her first country top 10 and remains as her best selling song behind The House That Built Me (pretty much neck and neck iirc, the taste!!!). In typical Miranda fashion, this channels some crazed anger as the abused wife protaganist plans to shoot her husband once he is out of jail. It has all the personality, charm and themes of liberation and empowerment that make Miranda's uptempos always such a treat.

144 Jessica Mauboy – Burn

The first song I had heard from her, I started using the internet for music in early 2009 and was instantly hooked on this when I found it. It was like a lost Rihanna single, a stellar example of the bouncy dance-pop of the time and a great introduction to someone who has become one of my absolute favourite artists. I remember 11-12 year old Liam being adamant that she would be huge worldwide, 10 years later and she's still stuck in Aus apart from her Eurovision entry drama.gif

143 Sara Bareilles – Love Song

I remember this coming out around my Year 6 SATs, the memories laugh.gif This is such a breezy and cute song, it's so commercial and radio-ready which is ironic as the song is about her frustration at her label wanting her to release such songs, so her frustration manifested in *exactly* the label wanted, a huge hit. Sadly her only proper hit to date over here, King Of Anything, Brave and Gravity should have been huge here too (at least Brave charted in the wake of the Roar controversy).

142 The Killers – Mr Brightside

An undeniable classic, one of those songs that I can't trust people's taste if they dislike it tbh tongue.gif I know it's always on nights out etc., but it's one of those incredible songs that instantly creates such an atmosphere and lifts you right up, I just love the feeling when you hear those first chords and know it's going to be a great few minutes.

141 Shania Twain – That Don’t Impress Me Much

Rounding off this section is a country-pop classic, Shania's signature song alongside Man! I Feel Like A Woman and her biggest selling in the UK I believe. This is another night-out classic, always played in the cheesy/pop room and I get my life every time. The sassy lyrics aimed at self-obsessed potential lovers are always fun and it's so fun to belt this one out drunk laugh.gif

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 8th August 2018, 04:19 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

The Fear by Lily Allen would be my pick from those ten songs,my favourite song by her.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 28th September 2018, 08:26 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

Let's start this back up then, laptop was in repair oops so didn't have the list on me!

140 Katy Perry – Roar

Aka Brave by Sara Bareilles xx This is such an empowering song, it's just huge with the chorus and one of Katy's best vocal performances and the rousing production *.* It felt like such a great start to the Prism era and it's no wonder it was huge for her.

139 Fleetwood Mac - Dreams

One of the most chilled songs imaginable, yet still so striking and memorable <3 Stevie Nicks has a wondorous quality to her voice where she could be singing complete nonsense written by a child and you'd be captivated and it'd feel like she was weaving a magical story, so on a song so imbued with feelings it's just beyond words. The fact she wrote it in 10 minutes is astounding!

138 Cascada - Everytime We Touch

Back of the bus banger *.* This is quintessential Eurodance, essential to any night out or pres and always gets everyone going. It works so well as a ballad too in the Candlelight mix! I saw her do this live and it was everything. It's so infectious and catchy and I defy anyone not to get their life dancing to this in a setting like a club.

137 Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

One of my most played songs ever as per my old last.fm laugh.gif This was a real leap into pure pop for Taylor, and an obvious megahit that catapulted her to becoming one of the big pop girls. The looped guitar line backs up the snarky and snappy lyrics perfectly, this song really shows how Taylor can great pop song with just the right lyrics to convey a particular feeling, in this case the frustrations of that pesky ex who just won't leave you alone and take no for an answer.

136 Adele - Hello

This is the perfect mix of the beautifully simple ballads that are Adele's absolute best, and her rousing crowd pleasers like Set Fire To The Rain and Rolling In The Deep imo, it's got the soul and power but it still feels so raw and honest and pure. This particular song has bags of power, but also the restraint and vulnerability that makes Adele one of the voices of our generation with her full bodied vocal.

135 Justin Timberlake - SexyBack

A real moment in his discography, this catapulted Justin to superstar status as he totally changed his style to a sexy, slick electro-R&B sound for this second album. It's easily one of his signature hits, embodying all his star quality, sex appeal and inventiveness.

134 ABBA - The Winner Takes It All

Without a doubt the best of ABBA's plethora of brilliant pop. A totally heartbreaking song that exudes such rawness and completely nails the feeling of a breakup, and was particularly poignant given the divorce of Bjorn and Agnetha prior to this. In a discography full of brilliant bangers and bops, this ballad is so simple and brilliant, it doesn't have to do anything, no bells or whistles other than the perfect lyrics and Agnetha's vocal.

133 Dusty Springfield - Son Of A Preacher Man

There's just one song older than this still to come ohmy.gif A bona fide 60s classic, and one of her signature songs after a long line of hits. This song perfectly embodies that 60s vibe, when music was carefree and simple, her soulful voice shines and makes such a simple song pop.

132 Kate Nash - Foundations

Never forget this missing #1 by something like 16 copies one week and 25 the other </3 It might be pretty much a pastiche of Lily Allen's early stuff but it does it so well, with her biting lyrics and distinct singing style.

131 Miley Cyrus - Party In The USA

A pop bop rounds off this section, nu US anthem tbh when will Star Spangled Banner xo Written by Jessie J (her one positive contribution to the world etc. x), this is such a great, soaring pop song that always appears on 4th July on iTunes to celebrate, and was one of her 84 #11 hits in the UK that deserved to be top 10 x

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 29th September 2018, 02:03 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

130 Shontelle – Impossible

Let's leave the dark days when I stanned the James Arthur version behind kink.gif Shontelle got what felt like it would be one hit wonder wth T-Shirt, but after a #23 she got another Silver top 10 with this dramatic, powerful and soulful ballad. This is such a good pop/R&B hybrid, I remember being really pleased it was a hit because it stood out amongst the horde of EDM influenced R&B that filled the charts at the time, as fun as a lot of that was.

129 Ellie Goulding – Lights / Lights (Bassnectar Remix)

Easily her best, this song is one that totally embodies everything that made her such an exciting artist back in her first era. Her voice pairs so well with a delicate and airy production like this, she has that controlled vulnerability where her voice is about to fall apart at any moment but it never quite does. The Bassnectar remix is just as good so I've put them both down, this version juxtaposes the light, airy and tremulous vocal with a thumping dubstep beat and the mix of the two is just magic and serves to emphasise the best of both halves of the track.

128 Jennifer Lopez – Waiting For Tonight

An absolute banger from the late 90s, this Latin house track helped Jennifer Lopez to make a mark following a huge hit with her debut If You Had My Love. It's got that sultry and subtle Latin vibe, but the production is so club ready and uplifting it makes you want to dance with your hands in the air and forget everything. Wiki says it was a turn of the millennium anthem that many people adopted in anticipation for Y2K and I love that, I can imagine it fit so well!

127 Jessica Mauboy – Pop A Bottle (Fill Me Up)

This is just SUCH a fun song, great pop and sometimes that's all you need. It's got that sort of Katy Perry/1D pop-rock party vibe and is nothing new but Jess always brings a bit of soul and power with her voice that elevates any song. This is one of my ultimate summer songs to blast wub.gif She says it's about someone making you happy and wanting to spend all your time with them but lbr it's hard not hear about popping a bottle of love and filling you up and think of.... something else x

126 Hailee Steinfeld – Love Myself

Another perfect pop bop with a potentially NSFW message, this time from perennially underrated pop girl Hailee Steinfeld. Supposedly an anthem about not needing anyone and learning to feel empowered by yourself, the lyrics came across as advocacy for loving yourself in a slightly more active way kink.gif But it could be about taking a shit for all I care, it's such a huge uplifting pop song that just blows you away, which was really astounding for a debut in particular. Any pop girl would kill for this produciton, and Hailee sounds so impassioned and empowered, believing her own message and sharing it with the world.

125 LeAnn Rimes – Can’t Fight The Moonlight

An early 00s tune next, LeAnn Rimes' second signature hit behind How Will I Live. This was a UK #1 in 2000 and remains a singalong classic, the kind where you'll be getting ready for a night out or something and as soon as this comes on and you're in that zone you feel compelled to grab anything near that can act as a microphone and belt it out.

124 Katy Perry - Unconditionally

To this day I have no idea how this flopped sad.gif Her voice has never sounded better, soaring through the whole track, as effortless as it ever has, and it feels so pure and honest at selling the message and telling the story. The sparse but hard hitting production pairs so well with it too, it feels so classic and timeless yet did very little as a single, easily her most underrated song.

123 Adele - Hometown Glory

It's absolutely astounding that she initially wrote this in the space of 10 minutes at the age 15, the first song she ever wrote, that says a huge amount about her immense talent. This song is full to the brim of all the feelings of that time in your life when you're at that crossroads between childhood and adulthood, the vocals are so wistful as they ponder and reflect on all the things that make the place you're born in give you that warm feeling of home and belonging. The result is just stunning and is always incredibly affecting when it's used at the opportune moment in many TV shows, it's so personal to Adele but resonates so easily with many situations or feelings at the same time.

122 The Killers - Read My Mind

Much like Unconditionally, this feels so timeless and like one of those career defining hits, but it wasn't </3 They had a much bigger hit with When We Were Young, and of course Mr Brightside endures, but this always gets overlooked :/The way it builds from a hopeful reflective tone to a huge arena filling rock anthem is incredible, the lyrics carry such emotional weight to them but they're far ranging enough that you can listen to this song no matter where you're from or what you've experienced in life, you can hear this and take something from it and relate to it.

121 Shakespears Sister - Stay

A beautifully haunting song, this was the only song of the duo that had Marcella Detroit on lead vocals instead of Siobhan Fahey, and probably the only one most people remember kink.gif Allegedly, this led to the dissolution of the duo due to conflict, but it was a monster hit and it's easy to see why. Marcella's vocals at the start are so fragile and haunting, and the songs gradually builds to a gothic rock conclusion and the two face-off vocally, both adding to the atmospheric track and adding ingredients to something really special that really stands out as a definitive and unique song.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 06:40 AM