BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> My Top 40 of Top 40s 2018, Welcome to the Panic Room...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Dobbo
post 24th November 2018, 12:12 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
Now obviously I don't do a weekly personal chart anymore, nor do I rigorously follow commercial music quite as heavily as previous years but that's not to say there hasn't been some great stuff put out this year, so I decided to put together a mini run-down of my favourite UK chart hits from the past 12 months. Note: I widened the "2018" to include songs which were released in 2017 but peaked officially this year (there are only 3 instances of this in my top 40 however). Most importantly, this EOY shouldn't be as taxing as previous efforts therefore won't (well didn't) require as much preparation so I'll aim to keep a good pace to this as we move towards 2019!

I wittled down every song to either enter or peak within the UK top 40 this year up to and including the chart just released & ended up with 48 I ranked as very good or above. After a tiny bit more culling these are the 5 tracks that just missed the main cut therefore won't be receiving a brief commentary on my part:

41. benny blanco & Calvin Harris - I Found You
42. Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
43. Clean Bandit (feat. Julia Michaels) - I Miss You
44. Drake - In My Feelings
45. Dynoro & Gigi D’Agostino - In My Mind
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
danG
post 24th November 2018, 11:08 AM
Post #2
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
woo!

really like all of those songs that just miss out so hopefully your top 40 is just as good (I'm sure it will be tongue.gif)

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 24th November 2018, 12:31 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
There's a good load I know you'll be a fan of along with a few you certainly won't be tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 24th November 2018, 12:33 PM
Post #4
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
QUOTE(dobbo @ Nov 24 2018, 08:31 PM) *
There's a good load I know you'll be a fan of along with a few you certainly won't be tongue.gif

Girls Like You #1 confirmed kink.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 24th November 2018, 12:38 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(DexTheHalls @ Nov 24 2018, 12:33 PM) *
Girls Like You #1 confirmed kink.gif

I can exclusively now reveal that song is nowhere to be seen in this chart ohmy.gif tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 24th November 2018, 12:38 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
40. Bad Bunny (feat. Drake) - Mia

Not generally been a fan of Bad Bunny, his vocals in I Like It were particularly off-putting but he's more tolerable in this one. Plus Drake. Singing in Spanish. Should probably like this more than I do but it's still a foot-tapper.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 24th November 2018, 12:47 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
39. A$AP Rocky (feat. Skepta) - Praise The Lord (Da Shine)

His debut album is one of my fave rap albums of all time. I don't really follow his stuff so much now but the ones that turn into hits are normally of a very good quality & this one is no different. Gotta love a panpipe sample too!

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 24th November 2018, 12:57 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
38. Loud Luxury (feat. Brando) - Body

I honestly couldn't ever envisage this becoming a UK hit when I first came across it back in late 2017, I think I recall playing this on plug round about the time of Club Bizarre 2! Alas, sometimes crazy stuff happens in music & a hit this did become. I like this a lot more than its position on this chart suggests but it is a relatively old song so suffers a bit from that.

+Quote this post
danG
post 24th November 2018, 01:07 PM
Post #9
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
Body dance.gif Such a banger and welcome chart hit, that will most likely appear in my top 40 but you'll have to wait to find out where.

Couldn't get into Praise The Lord as much as I wanted to, aside from the panpipe (I thought it was a flute lol) there isn't much else to it unforch.

Mia is great too, won't be appearing in my countdown but I enjoy it a fair bit (made my weekly top 50), I do like the novelty of Drake singing in Spanish. Drake will definitely make a few appearances in my chart anyhow. Hopefully one or two more in yours too.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 24th November 2018, 01:31 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(danVember @ Nov 24 2018, 01:07 PM) *
Body dance.gif Such a banger and welcome chart hit, that will most likely appear in my top 40 but you'll have to wait to find out where.

Couldn't get into Praise The Lord as much as I wanted to, aside from the panpipe (I thought it was a flute lol) there isn't much else to it unforch.

Mia is great too, won't be appearing in my countdown but I enjoy it a fair bit (made my weekly top 50), I do like the novelty of Drake singing in Spanish. Drake will definitely make a few appearances in my chart anyhow. Hopefully one or two more in yours too.

Indeed, I won't have as good an idea of how things will line up in your EOY chart this year!

Apparently it's a "pan flute" so I guess we're both right? And fair enough, it's certainly not a F**kin' Problems-esque banger.

Just as Friday follows Thursday, Drake will be popping up a few more times in this countdown kink.gif

Thanks dan!

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 24th November 2018, 02:25 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723
Hello Dobbo!
I think I like all of your songs in your top 40 so far and the songs placed in 41-45 as well!
Great start, can't wait to read the rest too!

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 24th November 2018, 02:53 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(sergejdordij98 @ Nov 24 2018, 02:25 PM) *
Hello Dobbo!
I think I like all of your songs in your top 40 so far and the songs placed in 41-45 as well!
Great start, can't wait to read the rest too!

Hey Serge, how's it going?

Thanks! I'm sure you'll find many more songs to your approval in my list.

Good to see you still contributing regularly to the Personal Charts forums smile.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 25th November 2018, 12:17 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
37. Clean Bandit (feat. Demi Lovato) - Solo

By no means one of their best but even subpar Clean Bandit is still of a very high quality. The woops & quacks (definitely still quacks) add a quirky charm to this but their follow-up is in a whole different league altogether as we shall see...

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 25th November 2018, 12:24 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
36. Sigala & Paloma Faith - Lullaby

Much like the last song, this isn't one of his best & in fact I had kinda brushed it side initially but it eventually grew on me enough to warrant a place here. I can't deny the euphoric instrumental breakdown & it helped continue Sigala's success into the ACR era which had previously been a concern.

+Quote this post
danG
post 25th November 2018, 12:30 PM
Post #15
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
Solo wasn't one of their best for me, it dropped off my chart rather quickly for a Clean Bandit single and Baby hasn't even gone top 40 for me yet, I hope this isn't a sign for the album to come.

Lullaby is brilliant anyhow, another top tune from Sigala, he's been rather consistent with his singles, shame his album tracks weren't up to much but the super commercial dance acts tend to not produce brilliant albums. I expect we'll get something brand new from him next year as I can't see anything else off his album taking off.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 25th November 2018, 12:31 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
35. Jess Glynne - I'll Be There

The comeback everyone wanted this year (yes she was on These Days but so was half of music) the chart Queen continued her relentless reign of chart-toppers into 2018. Comfortably the best of the 3 singles from her this year plus who doesn't love some random yodelling (lest we forget that Walmart kid).

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 25th November 2018, 12:39 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(danVember @ Nov 25 2018, 12:30 PM) *
Solo wasn't one of their best for me, it dropped off my chart rather quickly for a Clean Bandit single and Baby hasn't even gone top 40 for me yet, I hope this isn't a sign for the album to come.

Lullaby is brilliant anyhow, another top tune from Sigala, he's been rather consistent with his singles, shame his album tracks weren't up to much but the super commercial dance acts tend to not produce brilliant albums. I expect we'll get something brand new from him next year as I can't see anything else off his album taking off.

I can't get enough of 'Baby' right now, that's them back to their aboslute best imo!

Yeah he's had very few duds but I have to agree, there wasn't anything else (or what was left of it) to note on the album. If he just keeps bringing great single after great single though I'll be satisfied.

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 25th November 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723
The streak continues, as I like the next 3 songs from you!
"I'll Be There" is my favourite out of all the 3, but "Solo" and "Lullaby" are also great songs!
Really enjoying the list so far!

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 25th November 2018, 09:35 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(sergejdordij98 @ Nov 25 2018, 09:18 PM) *
The streak continues, as I like the next 3 songs from you!
"I'll Be There" is my favourite out of all the 3, but "Solo" and "Lullaby" are also great songs!
Really enjoying the list so far!

Cheers, bit of a dancey trio for you there! Slightly more variation in the next batch...

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 25th November 2018, 09:40 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
34. M.O x Lotto Boyzz x Mr Eazi - Bad Vibe

First off, fair play to them for getting another significant hit - I really felt it wasn't gonna happen for them. Secondly, hats off for bringing this great track to the Charts! They completely carry this song too, I'm always waiting for the rapping parts to finish for the ultra-catchy chorus.

+Quote this post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 06:02 AM