BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> My Top 40 of Top 40s 2018, Welcome to the Panic Room...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
LewisGT
post 13th December 2018, 08:36 PM
Post #61
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

Man's Not Hot remains pretty great. Crazy to think just how popular that was this time last year.

Finesse is such a good song too. I'm not a fan of Bruno or Cardi either but it really worked.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 13th December 2018, 10:15 PM
Post #62
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

I really like Finesse and Youngblood.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 14th December 2018, 02:22 PM
Post #63
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Finesse was a bit of a guilty pleasure, was also nice to see 5SOS getting another proper hit not just purely from hype!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 14th December 2018, 10:11 PM
Post #64
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I enjoyed Finesse way more than I expected to, Cardi really adds to the track I think! Youngblood is brill too heart.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 14th December 2018, 11:42 PM
Post #65
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Hey Dobbo <3

Nice For What is acc a bop and Drake's best a long time in ages <3 The other Drake song right infront of it tho sick2.gif
Better Now is also a bop & Post's best of 2018 *.* His only song to make my weekly charts so far! (Tho Sunflower may make it eventually)
Ring Ring is ok but I got bored of it v. quickly sad.gif
YASSSS 2002 *.* As with The Middle I'm in full agreement with you on this and its such a bop that's gets way too much hate sad.gif
Youngblood is up there with 5SOS's best definitely and it was so good to see it become such a smash for them <3 Finesse is also a bop *.*

Fab stuff Dobbo <3

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 15th December 2018, 01:37 PM
Post #66
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Thanks for the comments all biggrin.gif

QUOTE(LewisGT @ Dec 13 2018, 08:36 PM) *
Man's Not Hot remains pretty great. Crazy to think just how popular that was this time last year.

Finesse is such a good song too. I'm not a fan of Bruno or Cardi either but it really worked.

It was unavoidable in certain circles wasn't it? Not that I was ever complaining!

It really caught me by surprise did Finesse, I remembered avoiding it for a while as I was so certain I would dislike it laugh.gif

QUOTE(SantaDalek32 @ Dec 13 2018, 10:15 PM) *
I really like Finesse and Youngblood.

cheer.gif

QUOTE(PeteLeftLeeds @ Dec 14 2018, 02:22 PM) *
Finesse was a bit of a guilty pleasure, was also nice to see 5SOS getting another proper hit not just purely from hype!

Yep it's extremely difficult for boybands to get big hits now (which isn't necessarily a bad thing whistle.gif) but it just goes to show with a great song there is no ceiling!

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 14 2018, 10:11 PM) *
I enjoyed Finesse way more than I expected to, Cardi really adds to the track I think! Youngblood is brill too heart.gif

I have to agree her contribution was very strong.

It'll be interesting to see if 5SOS can manage another big hit like this...

QUOTE(UltraReputation @ Dec 14 2018, 11:42 PM) *
Hey Dobbo <3

Nice For What is acc a bop and Drake's best a long time in ages <3 The other Drake song right infront of it tho sick2.gif
Better Now is also a bop & Post's best of 2018 *.* His only song to make my weekly charts so far! (Tho Sunflower may make it eventually)
Ring Ring is ok but I got bored of it v. quickly sad.gif
YASSSS 2002 *.* As with The Middle I'm in full agreement with you on this and its such a bop that's gets way too much hate sad.gif
Youngblood is up there with 5SOS's best definitely and it was so good to see it become such a smash for them <3 Finesse is also a bop *.*

Fab stuff Dobbo <3

I prefer God's Plan but I was really loving this one for a few weeks a well, it just tired on me quicker

Yep Better Now is leagues ahead of his other songs this year (but still remains behind Congratulations, Rockstar & I Fall Apart overall)

A rare 2002 & The Middle fan cheer.gif I never know what to expect with Zedd anymore!

I'd probably have to rank it as their best song now (I do really love Don't Stop as a guilty pleasure too)

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 15th December 2018, 01:41 PM
Post #67
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

18. Juice WRLD - Lucid Dreams

How to take a sample & do something creative with it. The was a rare occasion where the first time I heard the song was on the Chart Show itself & I was a fan right from the off. Really, really love the flow of the track and it was a GREAT moment to finally see this crack the top 10 after weeks & weeks of coming up short.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 15th December 2018, 01:46 PM
Post #68
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

17. Ava Max - Sweet but Psycho

Pop song of the year award, is there even a debate? As has been referenced many times before it really does hark back to another certain American songstress just under a decade ago but this is really something the charts needed in the form of a simple, carefree, fun number. It'll be some ask to make the official #1 up against Ariana & Mark Ronson but I for one would love to see this sneak in a week.

+Quote this post
danG
post 15th December 2018, 01:53 PM
Post #69
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

really like 'lucid dreams' and it will be similarly high in my EOY, outstanding in its genre.

still don't get the mass hype over 'sweet but psycho' oops, it's a decent pop song but vastly overrated on buzzjack, she ain't the next gaga.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 15th December 2018, 01:53 PM
Post #70
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

16. BlocBoy JB & Drake - Look Alive

This one took a few listens to click. I felt it was a bit rambly to start with but as is often the case it won me over & became an essential track for large parts of the Spring season. Plus the obligatory schadenfreude I got from reading others' comments in the Chart Show thread about it persistent appearance in the top 40...

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 15th December 2018, 02:08 PM
Post #71
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(dancember @ Dec 15 2018, 01:53 PM) *
really like 'lucid dreams' and it will be similarly high in my EOY, outstanding in its genre.

still don't get the mass hype over 'sweet but psycho' oops, it's a decent pop song but vastly overrated on buzzjack, she ain't the next gaga.

Agreed, still haven't got round to hearing Fine China yet (hopefully better than the Chris Brown song of the same name).

See normally I'd be with you 100% on these overrated pop bops but I just can't deny this one! I highly doubt she'll pull a Gaga first era as well tbf.

+Quote this post
danG
post 15th December 2018, 02:32 PM
Post #72
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

QUOTE(dobbo @ Dec 15 2018, 02:08 PM) *
Agreed, still haven't got round to hearing Fine China yet (hopefully better than the Chris Brown song of the same name).

See normally I'd be with you 100% on these overrated pop bops but I just can't deny this one! I highly doubt she'll pull a Gaga first era as well tbf.
'fine china' is quite poor actually, as is everything else i've heard from him, 'lucid dreams' is very much a one-off so far.
'look alive' is a tune too, and people clearly didn't hate it that much as it didn't get enough nominations for the hate chart!!

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 15th December 2018, 06:53 PM
Post #73
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

Lucid Dreams and Sweet But Psycho are some good ones.
Look Alive is ay okay.

Have you heard Rover 2.0 by JB with 21? The gloomy piano line in this song sounds similar to the one on Look Alive.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 15th December 2018, 07:09 PM
Post #74
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Lucid Dreams is an interesting track actually - it's not completely sexualised (even if his other singles are oops) and actually something people can sing without making you cringe. Look Alive, on the other hand...

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 17th December 2018, 03:45 PM
Post #75
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

Lucid Dreams is such a brilliant tune. Although he seems to be describing sleep paralysis rather than lucid dreaming laugh.gif

I do quite like Sweet But Psycho which is quite surprising seeming that it does sound so similar to Lady Gaga's old music and I really disliked that back in the day.

Look Alive is decent but got a bit boring quickly. I prefer JB's verse to all the Drake stuff on it.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 18th December 2018, 05:14 AM
Post #76
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Hey Dobbo! 'Lucid Dreams' was a huge fave of mine this year too. I actually wasn't familiar with the sample at the time but he really did a stellar job with it!

'Sweet But Psycho' has grown on me each week since its chart show debut, couldn't have asked for a better dark horse contender for Christmas #1! (Well for my sins I'm enjoying the Ladbaby song too kink.gif)

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 18th December 2018, 07:51 PM
Post #77
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(dancember @ Dec 15 2018, 02:32 PM) *
'fine china' is quite poor actually, as is everything else i've heard from him, 'lucid dreams' is very much a one-off so far.
'look alive' is a tune too, and people clearly didn't hate it that much as it didn't get enough nominations for the hate chart!!

I'll hold off rushing to hear it then lol

I'd like to think that was because the Buzzjack massive clearly liked the song! biggrin.gif (and not cos they forgot about it among the plethora of hip hop songs this year)

QUOTE(SantaDalek32 @ Dec 15 2018, 06:53 PM) *
Lucid Dreams and Sweet But Psycho are some good ones.
Look Alive is ay okay.

Have you heard Rover 2.0 by JB with 21? The gloomy piano line in this song sounds similar to the one on Look Alive.

No I have not - I'll pop it on my 2Listen2 Spotify playlist!

QUOTE(PeteLeftLeeds @ Dec 15 2018, 07:09 PM) *
Lucid Dreams is an interesting track actually - it's not completely sexualised (even if his other singles are oops) and actually something people can sing without making you cringe. Look Alive, on the other hand...

Yeah it was very singalong actually! Likelihood is he'll remain a 1 hit wonder but I'm sure he'll catch a break as a feature on a random rap track that blows up...

QUOTE(LewisGT @ Dec 17 2018, 03:45 PM) *
Lucid Dreams is such a brilliant tune. Although he seems to be describing sleep paralysis rather than lucid dreaming laugh.gif

I do quite like Sweet But Psycho which is quite surprising seeming that it does sound so similar to Lady Gaga's old music and I really disliked that back in the day.

Look Alive is decent but got a bit boring quickly. I prefer JB's verse to all the Drake stuff on it.

We'll forgive him that oversight on account of making a bloody good track tongue.gif

I get the melodic comparisons with Lady G but I don't think it sounds all that same musically. The RedOne production is very dated now...

Ah ok, for me Drake steals the song but JB's part is decent too - although not enough to make me check out anything else from him

QUOTE(Riser @ Dec 18 2018, 05:14 AM) *
Hey Dobbo! 'Lucid Dreams' was a huge fave of mine this year too. I actually wasn't familiar with the sample at the time but he really did a stellar job with it!

'Sweet But Psycho' has grown on me each week since its chart show debut, couldn't have asked for a better dark horse contender for Christmas #1! (Well for my sins I'm enjoying the Ladbaby song too kink.gif)

Same, had to listen to the original to find out the part he'd sampled!

At least this year's battle is very much up in the air. I did think Ariana would win relatively comfortably but it doesn't look quite so clear cut now ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 18th December 2018, 08:02 PM
Post #78
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

15. Justin Timberlake - Filthy

The comeback track very few were expecting. Admittedly I was hardly jumping over hurdles to listen to this but I was taken aback at just how... out there it sounded? That production really shone throughout the song & that coupled with the fact there wasn't much else out during the traditionally quiet January period meant I was spinning this (very loudly, as instructed) quite a fair bit. A shame the rest of the output from the album largely sucked.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 18th December 2018, 08:16 PM
Post #79
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

14. Au/Ra & CamelPhat - Panic Room

A real, real gem. Now I was never ever a fan of 'Cola' despite the similarities - for me it's all about the mix with the vocal on this one, which suit each other down a tee. Haunting, eerie & with a suitably freaky video to boot. It certainly deserved better officially but did very well to make the top 40 at all for a track as off-trend as this.

+Quote this post
danG
post 18th December 2018, 08:19 PM
Post #80
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

Panic Room wub.gif CamelPhat seem to be bringing out the tunes on a regular basis now, this will appear similarly high in my EOY.

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 06:07 PM