BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
60 Pages V  « < 56 57 58 59 60 >  
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> OPINION POLLS II · Neck and Neck, The final 50 days
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
jark
post 19th March 2015, 12:39 AM
Post #1141
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990

That does not make his job harder, for god's sake! Persuading people he can win *is* his job, and if anything the fact that even members of his own party have a low expectation of him is a help to his chances, because it allows his policies to do the talking. Of course, the policies need to be good for that to be true. If he isn't in fact capable of persuading people he can lead, he certainly isn't capable of actually leading this country. The talk is the easy part, the walk that follows is the difficult bit.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 19th March 2015, 10:17 AM
Post #1142
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

QUOTE(jark @ Mar 19 2015, 12:39 AM) *
That does not make his job harder, for god's sake! Persuading people he can win *is* his job, and if anything the fact that even members of his own party have a low expectation of him is a help to his chances, because it allows his policies to do the talking. Of course, the policies need to be good for that to be true. If he isn't in fact capable of persuading people he can lead, he certainly isn't capable of actually leading this country. The talk is the easy part, the walk that follows is the difficult bit.

We're used to an entire generation of politicians who promise more than they can deliver. Miliband's entire leadership has been defined around the idea of under-promising and over-delivering, but it's become truer than he must have anticipated because he's been undermined at every turn by a Shadow Cabinet that's more right wing than him and baulks at his more progressive ideas.

The tuition fees example shows exactly what I mean. He ran for leadership being fully in favour of a grad tax, but some people around him were so reluctant to cut fees at all that it's ended up being watered down to this £6k compromise that nobody really wanted.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 19th March 2015, 12:45 PM
Post #1143
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480

QUOTE(jark @ Mar 19 2015, 01:39 AM) *

How on earth would it not make your job harder if you aren't getting as much support from your colleagues as your opponents are?

Not that there aren't reasons for that, but it's a little bizarre to think it isn't a factor.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 19th March 2015, 03:53 PM
Post #1144
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(Soy Adrián @ Mar 19 2015, 11:17 AM) *
We're used to an entire generation of politicians who promise more than they can deliver. Miliband's entire leadership has been defined around the idea of under-promising and over-delivering, but it's become truer than he must have anticipated because he's been undermined at every turn by a Shadow Cabinet that's more right wing than him and baulks at his more progressive ideas.

The tuition fees example shows exactly what I mean. He ran for leadership being fully in favour of a grad tax, but some people around him were so reluctant to cut fees at all that it's ended up being watered down to this £6k compromise that nobody really wanted.

He should have called the bluff or resigned. A leader who presides over other people's views will end up inevitably going for the least controversial route. Of course dictators are even worse cos they don't listen but there should be some issues that are important that could be lines in the sand...

Heaven knows the libdems managed a few lines and that was with Tories! Ed should be able to persuade his own party on some issues and then speak loudly about them forcefully.

+Quote this post
Danny
post 19th March 2015, 04:59 PM
Post #1145
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 457

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Mar 19 2015, 03:53 PM) *
He should have called the bluff or resigned. A leader who presides over other people's views will end up inevitably going for the least controversial route. Of course dictators are even worse cos they don't listen but there should be some issues that are important that could be lines in the sand...

Heaven knows the libdems managed a few lines and that was with Tories! Ed should be able to persuade his own party on some issues and then speak loudly about them forcefully.

Exactly. Those people who are opposing him in the shadow cabinet are only there because he allows them to be there. If he'd had the guts to force them to either sign up to what he wanted or be shown the door in that long period where Labour were ahead in the polls (and thus when his position was secure no matter what he did), all this could've been avoided. But he took the coward's way out, said completely contradictory things to the different wings of the party to avoid rocking the boat by telling the "Blairites" what they didn't want to hear, and now his chickens have come home to roost. One of the basic requirements of a party leader is to make your case and have the willpower to make sure your case prevails.

This post has been edited by Danny: 19th March 2015, 05:03 PM

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 19th March 2015, 05:46 PM
Post #1146
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(Danny @ Mar 19 2015, 04:59 PM) *
Exactly. Those people who are opposing him in the shadow cabinet are only there because he allows them to be there. If he'd had the guts to force them to either sign up to what he wanted or be shown the door in that long period where Labour were ahead in the polls (and thus when his position was secure no matter what he did), all this could've been avoided. But he took the coward's way out, said completely contradictory things to the different wings of the party to avoid rocking the boat by telling the "Blairites" what they didn't want to hear, and now his chickens have come home to roost. One of the basic requirements of a party leader is to make your case and have the willpower to make sure your case prevails.

And this man wants to run the country laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 19th March 2015, 05:48 PM
Post #1147
Group icon

QUOTE(Rooney @ Mar 19 2015, 05:46 PM) *
And this man wants to run the country laugh.gif

Because David Cameron exerts such control over his MPs.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 19th March 2015, 06:04 PM
Post #1148
Group icon

Meanwhile, the full extent of Labour's Tory-esque cuts programme is revealed:

http://labourlist.org/2015/03/labours-fisc...-end-next-year/

+Quote this post
Danny
post 19th March 2015, 07:37 PM
Post #1149
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Soy Adrián @ Mar 19 2015, 06:04 PM) *
Meanwhile, the full extent of Labour's Tory-esque cuts programme is revealed:

http://labourlist.org/2015/03/labours-fisc...-end-next-year/

Honest question: has a message of "Labour cuts are nicer than Tory cuts" ever convinced anyone in your experience?

Cuts are cuts are cuts.

This post has been edited by Danny: 19th March 2015, 07:37 PM

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 19th March 2015, 07:42 PM
Post #1150
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480

Not all cuts are equal. Scrapping Housing Benefit for all under 25s isn't exactly the same in impact as cutting councillor allowances in half or reducing the number of Trident submarines from 4 to 3.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 19th March 2015, 08:11 PM
Post #1151
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

Another UKIP parliamentary candidate has been suspended, this one for leaving money just resting in her account. I wonder if they'll have any candidates left by May at the rate they're dropping off.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 19th March 2015, 10:00 PM
Post #1152
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Mar 19 2015, 08:11 PM) *
Another UKIP parliamentary candidate has been suspended, this one for leaving money just resting in her account. I wonder if they'll have any candidates left by May at the rate they're dropping off.

Father Ted would have been so proud of his influence....

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 20th March 2015, 12:05 PM
Post #1153
Group icon

QUOTE(Danny @ Mar 19 2015, 07:37 PM) *
Honest question: has a message of "Labour cuts are nicer than Tory cuts" ever convinced anyone in your experience?

Cuts are cuts are cuts.

Why would it need to? "Labour cuts are smaller than Tory cuts" is as bad/honest (delete as appropriate) as it gets, and it's actually correct.

Please do us a favour and read the OBR report's summary and then compare it to the Labour position.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 20th March 2015, 10:57 PM
Post #1154
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

Sky News quoting at least two newspapers this weekend saying that Cameron plans to "cling to power", claiming a "moral victory" if Labour have most seats but Tories have most votes. Also it's reported that he'll go for a minority government rather than a coalition with anyone.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 20th March 2015, 11:56 PM
Post #1155
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Common Sense @ Mar 20 2015, 10:57 PM) *
Sky News quoting at least two newspapers this weekend saying that Cameron plans to "cling to power", claiming a "moral victory" if Labour have most seats but Tories have most votes. Also it's reported that he'll go for a minority government rather than a coalition with anyone.

That would fit in with his general hypocrisy. After all, it's his party that was the strongest supporter of the electoral system that makes such a scenario a possibility. Of course, his chances of getting a Queen's Speech through in those circumstances are not great. Still, I suppose Al Gore might have some sympathy with him.

It's been said by some commentators for some time that Cameron is more likely to try to lead a minority government than another coalition. The same has been said of Labour. However, in order for such a government to succeed, they need at least one major opposition party (SNP or Lib Dems) either to vote with them or to abstain. The chances of Cameron's Tories doing that when they aren't even the largest party are slim. Still, it would be amusing to see Cameron desperately seeking help from the SNP laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 21st March 2015, 01:38 PM
Post #1156
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

He was clearly talking about 'economic plans'.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 25th March 2015, 07:14 AM
Post #1157
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

SNP 'could block Tory government'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32045419

Somebody needs to remind Alex Salmond that the government just proposed a massive load of tax relief for the oil industry (which is otherwise in total collapse up in Scotland right now).

+Quote this post
Danny
post 25th March 2015, 02:05 PM
Post #1158
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Lib Dem ferrets fighting in a (very small) sack...

The business secretary, Vince Cable, has said that Liberal Democrat MP Tim Farron was not currently seen as a credible leader for the party.

“I mean, he’s a very good campaigning MP, but he’s never been in government and has never had to make difficult decisions and I think his credibility isn’t great.

“You know, he’s an entertaining speaker and has a bit of a fan club. But I suspect he would not be seen as a very credible leader, at least now. Maybe in five, 10 years time, things are different.”

Cable added: “The closer we get to an election and the more uncertain it seems, the more people will want people who are seen to be competent and reliable.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/m...ays-vince-cable

I think Vince Cable would be a better choice for leader than Farron anyway, personally.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 25th March 2015, 05:06 PM
Post #1159
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Mar 25 2015, 07:14 AM) *
SNP 'could block Tory government'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32045419

Somebody needs to remind Alex Salmond that the government just proposed a massive load of tax relief for the oil industry (which is otherwise in total collapse up in Scotland right now).

Also remind him that he's no longer SNP leader and not even an MP yet! Talk about wanting the limelight!!

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 25th March 2015, 06:42 PM
Post #1160
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

The idea of the SNP and Milliband been in Government together, would like something out of a horror story. Awful thought.

+Quote this post

60 Pages V  « < 56 57 58 59 60 >
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 11:01 PM