BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> England vs Croatia, 13th June, 2pm, BBC One
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Mack.
post Jun 13 2021, 02:53 PM
Post #81
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

And for the first time England win their opening match at the Euros. Don't think we would have frightened France, Germany and Portugal with that performance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brer
post Jun 13 2021, 02:53 PM
Post #82
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Member No.: 8,300

jump.gif

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Jun 13 2021, 02:54 PM
Post #83
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Group: Members
Member No.: 2

Scotland to win the group cheer.gif

+Quote Post
Seinfeld
post Jun 13 2021, 02:55 PM
Post #84
Is anyone here a marine biologist?
Member No.: 10,505
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mack. @ Jun 13 2021, 03:53 PM) *
And for the first time England win their opening match at the Euros. Don't think we would have frightened France, Germany and Portugal with that performance.

Great win though - Croatia are no mugs!

+Quote Post
SimpsonFan
post Jun 13 2021, 02:57 PM
Post #85
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 97,817
   No Gallery Pics

Whoomph there it is

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Jun 13 2021, 02:58 PM
Post #86
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Strange flag in the crowd there - a Union Jack with a Rangers club badge on it.

Must have been supporting Britain today.

This post has been edited by steve201: Jun 13 2021, 02:59 PM

+Quote Post
Houdini
post Jun 13 2021, 02:59 PM
Post #87
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,725
   No Gallery Pics

Is this going to be the year where England finally win a trophy?

+Quote Post
Ho-Lee Smokes
post Jun 13 2021, 03:01 PM
Post #88
🙄
Member No.: 10,643

QUOTE(steve201 @ Jun 13 2021, 03:58 PM) *
Strange flag in the crowd there - a Union Jack with a Rangers club badge on it.

Must have been supporting Britain today.

rangers are a horrible team

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Jun 13 2021, 03:04 PM
Post #89
Shakin Stevens
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Ho-Lee Smokes @ Jun 13 2021, 04:01 PM) *
rangers are a horrible team

Yeh only 10 years old and already hated world wide by anyone with a progressive mind!

+Quote Post
Ho-Lee Smokes
post Jun 13 2021, 03:04 PM
Post #90
🙄
Member No.: 10,643

QUOTE(steve201 @ Jun 13 2021, 04:04 PM) *
Yeh only 10 years old and already hated world wide by anyone with a progressive mind!

heart.gif

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Jun 13 2021, 03:05 PM
Post #91
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,961
   No Gallery Pics

A good solid 1-0 win to start the tournament. I'm quite happy with that.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Jun 13 2021, 03:05 PM
Post #92
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Great stuff, Croatia were definitely (in theory at least) the hardest in the group so couldn't have asked for better than a win really! Raheem Stirling always comes across so well, love that he scored the winning goal wub.gif

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Jun 13 2021, 03:09 PM
Post #93
Shakin Stevens
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Houdini @ Jun 13 2021, 03:59 PM) *
Is this going to be the year where England finally win a trophy?

Yous have a great squad but might get found out deeper into the tournament by a top class striker

+Quote Post
coi
post Jun 13 2021, 03:26 PM
Post #94
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 73,240
   No Gallery Pics

Great first game for England! I was very impressed by the opening 15 minutes or so especially, and then for the goal that assist from Kalvin Phillips was excellent, well finished by Sterling too. A very encouraging start.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jun 13 2021, 04:33 PM
Post #95
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

Very encourgaing start, but you've always got to take the opportunites when you're on top of the game and causing all sorts of havoc. Croatia worked out how to counter Sterling/Mount getting space and I thought the game really peetered out after that, both teams cancelled each other out.

Good to get a win to start off, I thought there were some encouraging signs and plenty to work on still. Teams that win tournaments usually grow as they go on, it does look like if we win the group we will face France/Germany/Portugal which isn't ideal, but you're going to have to play one of the bigger teams at some stage. Getting the easier draw in 2016 did not work out for England at all laugh.gif

+Quote Post
RabbitFurCoat
post Jun 14 2021, 10:43 AM
Post #96
IncredibleSquirrel
Member No.: 118
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Rooney @ Jun 13 2021, 05:33 PM) *
Good to get a win to start off, I thought there were some encouraging signs and plenty to work on still. Teams that win tournaments usually grow as they go on, it does look like if we win the group we will face France/Germany/Portugal which isn't ideal, but you're going to have to play one of the bigger teams at some stage. Getting the easier draw in 2016 did not work out for England at all laugh.gif

If England finish second and get an 'easier' 2nd round tie of E runners up, likely Sweden or Poland, the winners of that are then likely play the Group F winners in the QF with both of those games on neutral territory. Win the group and you play Group F runners up at Wembley before probably Group E winners (Spain?) in Rome. In 2018 there was a clear advantage to finishing 2nd, the route to the semis was significantly more favourable but I just don't see that at all here. If it is easier, it's marginally.

I was surprised but also absolutely not at all by the reaction to Southgate's team yesterday. Why isn't he going to start the team he's been building and playing recently? Three changes from his last games and 2 of those were down to injuries. People bang on about form but only consider club form, Sterling now on something like 12 goals in 17 for England, yet the majority of fans thought he shouldn't play! It worked yesterday, Phillips played well, some encouraging moves and runs, particularly from Sterling, and we completely limited what Croatia were able to create. I don't think it was ever going to be a classic in that heat - it was so hot there yesterday!

This post has been edited by RabbitFurCoat: Jun 14 2021, 10:44 AM

+Quote Post
Herbs
post Jun 14 2021, 10:46 AM
Post #97
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 214

Great goal from Sterling and the pass to create it was flawless - the only thing I’d say is Sterling still has instances where he goes for glory instead of setting up a better chance

Agree with comments above about Croatia figuring out how to respond - once they did, it became a test of whether England would break through

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Jun 14 2021, 11:20 AM
Post #98
Shakin Stevens
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(RabbitFurCoat @ Jun 14 2021, 11:43 AM) *
If England finish second and get an 'easier' 2nd round tie of E runners up, likely Sweden or Poland, the winners of that are then likely play the Group F winners in the QF with both of those games on neutral territory. Win the group and you play Group F runners up at Wembley before probably Group E winners (Spain?) in Rome. In 2018 there was a clear advantage to finishing 2nd, the route to the semis was significantly more favourable but I just don't see that at all here. If it is easier, it's marginally.

I was surprised but also absolutely not at all by the reaction to Southgate's team yesterday. Why isn't he going to start the team he's been building and playing recently? Three changes from his last games and 2 of those were down to injuries. People bang on about form but only consider club form, Sterling now on something like 12 goals in 17 for England, yet the majority of fans thought he shouldn't play! It worked yesterday, Phillips played well, some encouraging moves and runs, particularly from Sterling, and we completely limited what Croatia were able to create. I don't think it was ever going to be a classic in that heat - it was so hot there yesterday!

Yeh looked roasting!

You have a good day?

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Jun 14 2021, 01:23 PM
Post #99
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Missed the game but very happy with the result. More of a relief than joy I'd say but you know the mindset (of the fans at least) now will be "ah we'll smash Scotland & the Czechs" but it's never that simple.

Must admit I was bemused by Sterling starting but glad to be proven wrong on this occasion. Phillips was immense. Mings was impressive. Kane looked unfit! I'm sure Southgate will make a few tinkerings for the Scotland match but 3 points on the board is all that matters.

And completely agree with the notion to just try and win every game and not try and be clever to get an "easier" route through. As RFC said if we come second there's a high chance of playing France in QF and not be at Wembley. And who's to say Spain don't end up group winners and we actually play them in the last 16? Too many permutations to start worrying about the draw. I wouldn't even be surprised if France finish second in their group.

Encouraging early signs and a bit of pressure off (for once). Can't be too disappointed with anything we saw yesterday really.

This post has been edited by Dobbo.: Jun 14 2021, 01:24 PM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:47 PM