BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> REVIEW: Now That's What I Call Music 9, Released 23rd March 1987 | 30 Tracks | 7 #1 Singles
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Now That's What I Call Music 9 Ratings
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 23
Guests cannot vote 
awardinary
post Oct 2 2016, 09:00 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Images

Advert
    Details
Released: 23rd March 1987
Origin: United Kingdom
Label: Virgin / EMI
Format: CD / Vinyl / Double Cassette / Video
Duration: 01:55:00 (115 Minutes)
Tracks: 30
#1’s: 7
Chart Peak: #1 (5 Weeks)
Sales: 600,000 (2x Platinum)
    Tracklisting
1. Jackie Wilson – Reet Petite* 2:50 {1}
2. Mental As Anything – Live It Up 3:55 {3}
3. Simply Red – The Right Thing* 4:40 {11}
4. Erasure – Sometimes* 4:05 {2}
5. Robbie Nevil – C'est La Vie* 3:50 {3}
6. Hot Chocolate – You Sexy Thing* 4:10 {10}
7. Blow Monkeys – It Doesn't Have To Be This Way 4:30 {5}
8. The Housemartins – Caravan Of Love* 3:40 {1}
9. Boy George – Everything I Own* 4:05 {1}
10. UB40 – Rat In Mi Kitchen 3:10 {12}
11. Gap Band – Big Fun 4:20 {4}
12. 5 Star – Stay Out Of My Life 4:10 {9}
13. Pepsi And Shirlie – Heartache* 3:55 {2}
14. Bananarama – Trick Of The Night 4:30 {32}
15. Berlin – Take My Breath Away 4:25 {1}
16. Freddie Mercury – The Great Pretender 3:35 {4}
17. Ben E King – Stand By Me* 3:00 {1}
18. Curiosity Killed The Cat – Down To Earth* 4:00 {3}
19. Communards – So Cold The Night 4:45 {8}
20. Steve 'Silk' Hurley – Jack Your Body 3:25 {1}
21. Taffy – I Love My Radio (Midnight Radio) 3:35 {6}
22. Nick Kamen – Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever 4:00 {16}
23. A-Ha – Manhattan Skyline 4:30 {13}
24. Westworld – Sonic Boom Boy 3:05 {11}
25. Bon Jovi – Livin' On A Prayer 4:10 {4}
26. Genesis – Land Of Confusion 4:55 {14}
27. Europe – The Final Countdown* 4:10 {1}
28. Gary Moore – Over The Hills And Far Away 4:40 {20}
29. Ward Brothers – Cross That Bridge 3:55 {32}
30. Pretenders – Hymn To Her 4:35 {8}
    CD Tracklisting
1. Jackie Wilson – Reet Petite
2. Mental As Anything – Live It Up
3. Simply Red – The Right Thing
4. Robbie Nevil – C'est La Vie
5. Hot Chocolate – You Sexy Thing
6. Blow Monkeys – It Doesn't Have To Be This Way
7. Boy George – Everything I Own
8. UB40 – Rat In Mi Kitchen
9. 5 Star – Stay Out Of My Life
10. Pepsi And Shirlie – Heartache
11. Berlin – Take My Breath Away
12. Freddie Mercury – The Great Pretender
13. Ben E King – Stand By Me
14. Curiosity Killed The Cat – Down To Earth
15. Genesis – Land Of Confusion
16. Pretenders – Hymn To Her

Key
Tracks highlighted red were official UK #1’s.
Tracks with an asterisk (*) next to their title have also been included in special releases from the series.
The track duration has been highlighted cyan.
Bracketed numbers refer to highest chart position reached.
    Miscellaneous Facts
Track Most Weeks At #1: Jackie Wilson – Reet Petite / Berlin – Take My Breath Away (4 Weeks)
Lowest Charting Track: Bananarama – Trick Of The Night / Ward Brothers – Cross That Bridge {32}
Longest Song: Genesis – Land Of Confusion 4.55
Shortest Song: Jackie Wilson – Reet Petite 2.50
Edited Tracks: Unknown
Unedited Tracks: Unknown
Inlay Mistakes: None
Other Facts: N/A
    On This Day In History
23rd March 1987 - At the first ever Soul Train Music Awards in the Civic Center, Santa Monica, California, Cameo win the Best Album and Best Single (Group) of the year. Janet Jackson gets Album of the Year (Female) and Best New Video.
    Other Resources
Official Now Music Website
Wikipedia
TV Cream
Everyhit

This post has been edited by Riser: Oct 3 2016, 01:30 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Oct 2 2016, 09:01 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Andrew's Review
Now That's What I Call Music! 9 aka Now 9 is really packed with a great offering of 32 tracks and the most number ones to this date - 7.
This volume was released on single CD along with other formats, and the CD included a selction from the main release. Now 9 was a #1 success for 5 weeks.
Now 9 boasts a great selection of artists from Housemartins to Freddie Mercury, Communards to Bon Jovi, Simply Red to Pretenders and many more.
It was at this time we hears the debuts from Erasure, Curiosity Killed The Cat, Europe and the debut #1 solo from Boy George of Culture Club.
Some One Hit Wonders include Mental As Anything, Robbie Nevil, Steve 'Silk' Hurley, Taffy and Ward Brothers.
Unfortunately, for artists like Jackie Wilson, Blow Monkeys, Gap Band, 5 Star, Pepsi & Shirlie, Berlin, Ben E King, Nick Kamen, Westworld and Europe, this is the only time in the series we would hear from them.
The cover for Now 9 has probably got to be the most plain and simple design of all covers to date, as there is no real concept behind the artwork, and it's certainly not eye catching. :?
Now 9 for me is an impressive collection of some of the most remembered songs from the time, and I have many favourites. It is, for me, somewhat surprising that 16 of the 30 artists are never to be seen again in the main series. It's good though to see all 30 songs within the UK Top 40. I'm not impressed with the cover design, but I am impressed with the selection of songs, and many I would want to hear long into the future.

Artwork Rating: 1/10 The Worst Now Artwork Ever!
This for me is actually the weakest offering on the entire series for an official artwork, as it is lacking any real design or colour for that matter, it really is plain and dull, and there's no positives to take from it at all.

Side 1 Favourite: Housemartins – Caravan Of Love
Always been a fan of this accapella, it is just beautifully sung and it's no surprise to see it was a #1 single. Not many songs without instruments have achieved such a feat before!

Side 2 Favourite: Berlin – Take My Breath Away
One of the best 80's ballads I think, it is very iconic, not just because of the movie soundtrack it was taken from (that being Top Gun), but because it is atmospheric and original.

Side 3 Favourite: Ben E King – Stand By Me
The weakest side for me, and this was my choice of best song, but I don't play it very much at all.

Side 4 Favourite: Bon Jovi – Livin' On A Prayer
This is my favourite from the whole volume, and it is followed closely by Europe, and that is because it is the rock anthem of the entire decade! Nothing could beat it for me, Bon Jovi are a class act.

CD Favourite: Jackie Wilson – Reet Petite
The infectious taste of 50's music all rolled into one and re-released for the 80's! Reet Petite is just a delight every time it is played, and due to some major missing tracks from the CD tracklisting, this is the one I would call my favourite.

Overall Rating: 6/10 Good
There are quite a few gems found in amongst this volume, and those which I do like I like very much, which is why it is a good compilation, but as always, could have been much better.

Andrew's Best 5 (as of October 2016)
1. Bon Jovi – Livin' On A Prayer
2. Europe – The Final Countdown
3. Berlin – Take My Breath Away
4. The Housemartins – Caravan Of Love
5. Jackie Wilson – Reet Petite

Andrew's Worst 5 (as of October 2016)
1. The Pretenders – Hymn To Her
2. Taffy – I Love My Radio (Midnight Radio)
3. Robbie Nevil – C'est La Vie
4. Gary Moore – Over The Hills And Far Away
5. Curiosity Killed The Cat – Down To Earth

This post has been edited by awardinary: Oct 13 2016, 04:57 AM

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Oct 2 2016, 09:09 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Whose deliberately spamming my posts with "iamspamspamami" ? huh.gif

EDIT: It seems that whenever I try to type the word "citchen" (spelt with a K, and not a C) it autoformats it to "iamspamspamami"

Any answers to this? ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by awardinary: Oct 2 2016, 09:13 PM

+Quote Post
Riser
post Oct 3 2016, 01:29 AM
Post #4
The horrors persist, but so do I
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

QUOTE(awardinary @ Oct 2 2016, 05:09 PM) *
Whose deliberately spamming my posts with "iamspamspamami" ? huh.gif

EDIT: It seems that whenever I try to type the word "citchen" (spelt with a K, and not a C) it autoformats it to "iamspamspamami"

Any answers to this? ohmy.gif
Yup! Don't worry, no one's trying to mess with you. The site has a "swear filter" for certain words, and due to some actual spam posters who posted links to kitchen websites all over the site, it became such a problem that the word "kitchen" was added to the swear filter to deter these posters. Even so, the spam threads continued for quite a few years--it started even before I joined the site and only just recently stopped--and it's still in place either "just in case" or as a funny tradition (or both laugh.gif).

Anyway, most of us stick a bold or italic tag inside the word (see below) to get past the filter. I fixed the first post for you, but it doesn't work on the poll so I just changed one of the letters. That should take care of it!
CODE
[b][/b] or [i][/i]
Kit[b][/b]chen Kitc[i][/i]hen

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Oct 3 2016, 08:09 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Artwork Rating:
I mean that HAS to be the worst one of the entire series - how bland is that? 1/10.

Side 1 Favourite:
Reet Petitie - no questions here, despite being a 50s track this is so much fun & the video is totally bonkers too.

Side 2 Favourite:
Take My Breath Away - not a great side & this is the only one I know. It's good but nothing I'd choose to play.

Side 3 Favourite:
Stand By Me - probably one of my favourite ever "classic" songs, a true masterpiece.

Side 4 Favourite:
The Final Countdown - a bit of an epic. Close between that & Livin' On A Prayer but the latter is spammed too much so it's lost its charm.

CD Favourite:
This was a tough call between Reet Petite & Stand By Me but I gotta give it to Reet Petitie as I'm more likely to play it any time, any day!

Overall Rating:
There are some very good tracks on this edition - I just wouldn't want that cover sticking out of the CD shelf! 5/10.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Oct 3 2016, 08:52 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks Riser!

+Quote Post
Jade
post Oct 8 2016, 11:28 PM
Post #7
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

Artwork rating: 1/10 - Oh my gosh that is definitely the worst Now artwork! There's absolutely nothing eye-catching about it whatsoever. Painfully bland!

Side 1 Favourite: Jackie Wilson - 'Reet Petite' - A complete classic this is! It took me years to realise that it wasn't actually from the 1980s but instead from thirty years before! Doesn't sound that old at all. So much fun and the music video is very memorable!

Side 2 Favourite: Berlin - 'Take My Breath Away' - The synthy production of this is absolutely stunning. One of my favourite classic movie songs ever!

Side 3 Favourite: Ben E King - 'Stand By Me' - The best of a pretty weak side. Love the soulful vocals and the production is instantly recognisable.

Side 4 Favourite: Bon Jovi - 'Livin' On A Prayer' - One of the best classic rock songs of all-time! An essential hairbrush song and the instrumentation is fabulous.

Overall Rating: 6/10 - The artwork is just shockingly unappealing - what were they thinking?! Aside from that there are actually quite a few classics on here and it's an appealing package on the whole song-wise!

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Feb 13 2018, 03:36 PM
Post #8
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
Group: Memberrs
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

Side 1 I picked Erasure - Sometimes, excellent debut hit for Erasure. I do like Reet Petite too though!

Side 2, sorry Berlin but I picked UB40 – Rat In Mi Kμtchen, what a fun song!

Side 3, I went with the early house hit Jack your Body (I like the funky synths this one and the Aooooo in it), The Communards one is OK but a bit too cheesy even for me and not dancey enough imo.

For side 4 I shunned the classics Livin On A Prayer and The Final Countdown despite the fact I love both songs for that brilliant Genesis track, Land Of Confusion, which is my favourite track from the whole disc, so i had to go for that as my fave from the CD too.

Unfortunately Dead Or Alive - Something In My House, which is one of their best songs imo (and quite dancey too) was omitted from this album sad.gif It was in the charts in early 1987 (the same time as Jack Your Body).

This post has been edited by The Snake : Feb 13 2018, 04:06 PM

+Quote Post
fiesta
post Feb 13 2018, 04:15 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 232
   No Gallery Pics

Land of confusion is my fave genesis song & the video is good too!

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Mar 10 2018, 09:23 PM
Post #10
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
Group: Memberrs
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(fiesta @ Feb 13 2018, 04:15 PM) *
Land of confusion is my fave genesis song & the video is good too!

Yes it should have done as well in the charts as Livin On A Prayer or The Final Countdown. It is of course a bit more dancey sounding than them.

Was unaware until recently that so many of the well known 80s rock songs seem to come from 1987!

+Quote Post
Hayzayy
post Mar 23 2018, 01:25 PM
Post #11
Who's Daniel btw ?
Member No.: 1,804
   No Gallery Pics

Voted!

+Quote Post
Radio Ga Ga
post May 7 2022, 09:43 PM
Post #12
New Entry
Member No.: 151,089
   No Gallery Pics

The last of the series that my parents bought. I think it is supposed to look like a photo album, but it is very grey. I think I voted 2.

Side 1 - easily the Housemartins this time.
Side 2 - easily Berlin
Side 3 - think I went for Down to Earth
side 4 - Could have gone for Livin on a Prayer, but ended up with Final Countdown

CD - Take My Breath Away, again.

Think I voted Very Good for this one.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:59 PM