BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TV Forum • Commissions, News & General Discussion
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post Sep 23 2018, 06:02 PM
Post #1
❤️❤️➕🟦
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

We've headed into a new TV season!

This is our general discussion thread for anything you think might not warrant a full topic or perhaps the odd TV related meme or video you may wish to share with us.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Sep 23 2018, 07:23 PM
Post #2
Buffy/Charmed
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN UK TV GETS CHARMED?

ALSO WHY DID CHANNEL 5 STOP SHOWING WILL AND GRACE HALF WAY THROUGJ?????

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Sep 23 2018, 07:32 PM
Post #3
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mariner @ Sep 23 2018, 08:23 PM) *
ALSO WHY DID CHANNEL 5 STOP SHOWING WILL AND GRACE HALF WAY THROUGJ?????

Don’t know if they did but because it’s Channel 5, expect it to turn up on Sky Living/Netflix/Amazon/E4 in a couple of years x

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Sep 23 2018, 10:05 PM
Post #4
Buffy/Charmed
   No Gallery Pics

I'll be streaming Charmed. Sod the slow UK channels

Can someone pm me a good link to do that?

+Quote Post
Silas
post Sep 23 2018, 10:19 PM
Post #5
Queen of Soon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,474

Channel 5 didn't stop part way through & are showing season 10.

Comedy Central is airing reruns, it's still firmly within the Viacom family

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Sep 23 2018, 11:17 PM
Post #6
Buffy/Charmed
   No Gallery Pics

It can't be. I had a series link and it stopped. I have checked Fridays and it never has it.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Oct 13 2018, 11:08 AM
Post #7
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

Iron Fist has been cancelled by Netflix oops! The first Marvel series to be axed by them (although The Defenders is unlikely to return I think). I’ve watched three episodes of the second season and I’m just watching just because.

All the other shows have been renewed for another season (JJS3, LCS3, TPS2 and Daredevil returns for its third season next week?)

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Oct 20 2018, 07:36 AM
Post #8
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

omg forget that, now Luke Cage has been axed too!

They’re my two least favourite series so I’m not particularly bothered. I wonder if this is to make room for other Marvel shows for their mini universe or if it’s in retaliation of Disney’s new streaming service.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Nov 25 2018, 03:49 PM
Post #9
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

The BBC have struck a deal with the American TV channel FX (American Horror Story, Sons of Anarchy) which means they have the rights to all new FX original series!

QUOTE(BBC)
The BBC has entered a creative partnership with FX Networks, with the BBC securing the rights to all new scripted (comedy and drama) FX original series. This is the first time FX original series will have a primary home in the UK.

Through this agreement the BBC will gain rights to the UK produced Devs, from acclaimed UK writer and producer Alex Garland, and Ryan Murphy’s groundbreaking new drama series Pose, which examines New York’s transgender-Ball culture of the late 1980's and the LGBTQ community during the growing HIV crisis.

This partnership extends the relationship between the BBC and FX. The two parties currently co-produce Taboo and, following on from The People vs O.J. Simpson, BBC Two has recently shown American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace. Feud, Atlanta, Trust and Snowfall have also aired on the channel in the last two years.

Charlotte Moore, Director, BBC Content, says: “The BBC has a proud tradition of bringing audiences the very best shows from around the world, and this exciting new partnership with FX builds on our strong existing relationship. Their incredible range of first class drama and comedy series will be great for our channels and I’m delighted to be forging closer ties with FX and to formalize our relationship in this bold and exciting move.”

Gina Brogi, President of Global Distribution, Twentieth Century Fox Television Distribution, says: “The BBC has been an incredible partner for us at FX Networks and TCFTVD and this new deal only strengthens our longstanding relationship as we look to bring quality programming to audiences in the UK."

Eric Schrier, President of Original Series, FX Networks and FX Productions, says: “We are thrilled to enter this partnership with BBC and their great team with whom we have had such a wonderful relationship. At FX, as with the BBC, we are dedicated to curating a portfolio of the best programs television has to offer and working with producers who tell stories that not only entertain, but illuminate the human condition. We are grateful to the BBC for their recognition of the quality of FX programs and to our colleagues at TCFTVD for their support.”

Over the past five years, FX programs have received 244 Emmy award nominations, winning 52 Emmys. In 2017, FX won the most Golden Globes awards of any network, and this year FX won the most Television Critics Association awards of any brand, including Program of the Year for the second time in three years. FX also received 50 Emmy award nominations in each of the last four years, an achievement matched only by HBO and Netflix.

In addition to the current licensed series, upcoming new FX series - several which will be shot in the UK - coming to BBC include:
  • Pose, the universally-acclaimed hit drama from Ryan Murphy, which is arguably one of the most groundbreaking series ever produced, examines New York’s transgender-Ball culture of the late 1980's and the LGBTQ community during the growing HIV crisis. The series features the largest cast of transgender series regular actors as well as the highest numbers of LGBTQ recurring actors and crew for a scripted show in television history. Pose has already been ordered for a second season for 2019. The eight-episode first season is produced by Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions.
  • Mayans M.C., Kurt Sutter’s new acclaimed hit drama series is the follow-up series to his unforgettable hit drama Sons Of Anarchy, is the most-watched new cable series of 2018 in the United States, averaging 8.2 million viewers weekly. The series, which stars JD Pardo and Edward James Olmos and features one of the largest Latino ensemble casts on American television, has already been ordered for a second season. The 10-episode first season is produced by Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions.
    Untitled Fosse-Verdon project - FX’s highly anticipated limited series on the story of legendary director, choreographer, and dancer Bob Fosse and his unsung key collaborator and wife, the legendary Broadway actor, dancer and singer Gwen Verdon. The series stars Academy award-winner Sam Rockwell, four-time Academy award-nominee Michelle Williams, and is produced and directed by the Tony Award winning team of Hamilton, Thomas Kail and Lin-Manuel Miranda, and written by Steven Levenson, the Tony award-winner writer/producer of
  • Dear Evan Hanson. The eight-part limited series is produced by Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions and is scheduled to debut next spring.
    Devs - An eight-episode, multi-dimensional tech thriller comes from the brilliant mind of British producer, writer and director Alex Garland, who wrote, produced and directed the acclaimed feature films Ex Machina and Annihilation. Garland wrote all eight episodes of the first season and directed the first two of the series, which series stars Sonoya Mizuno, Nick Offerman and Alison Pill. The show is being produced in London and Manchester, England with location work in Santa Cruz, California. The eight-episode drama is produced by FX Productions, DNA Television (UK) and Scott Rudin Productions and is scheduled to premiere in Autumn 2019.
  • What We Do In The Shadows - From executive producers Jemaine Clement (Flight of the Conchords), Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok) and Paul Simms (Atlanta) with Academy award-winner Scott Rudin, this comedy series set in New York City follows three vampires who have been roommates for hundreds and hundreds of years trying to cope in the modern world. The series stars Bafta winner Matt Berry, Kayvan Novak, Natasia Demetriou, Harvey Guillen and Mark Proksch. The 10-epsiode comedy is produced by FX Productions and Scott Rudin Productions and scheduled to debut next spring.
  • Better Things - Created, written by and starring two-time Emmy nominee Pamela Adlon, Better Things - the comedy that Time Magazine named the best show of 2017 - centers on Sam Fox played by Adlon, a single, working actor with no filter raising her three daughters. She’s a mum, dad, referee and the cops. Sam also watches out for her mother, Phil (Celia Imrie), an English expatriate who lives across the street. Sam is flawed, fierce and just trying to earn a living, navigate her daughters’ lives, have fun with a friend or two and also - just maybe - squeeze in some private time once in a while. The series is produced by FX Productions.
  • Mrs. America - Two-time Academy award and Golden Globe award-winning actor Cate Blanchett has signed on to star in Mrs. America, a new limited series ordered by FX and created and written by Emmy Award winning writer and Dahvi Waller (Mad Men) and Executive Produced by two-time Academy Award nominee Stacey Sher, Waller, Coco Francini and Blanchett. Mrs. America tells the true story of the movement to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA), and the unexpected backlash led by a conservative woman named Phyllis Schlafly, played by Cate Blanchett. Through the eyes of the women of that era - both Schlafly and second wave feminists Gloria Steinem, Betty Friedan, Shirley Chisholm, Bella Abzug and Jill Ruckelshaus - the series explores how one of the toughest battlegrounds in the culture wars of the 70s helped give rise to the Moral Majority and forever shifted our political landscape. Production of the nine-episode limited series is scheduled for 2019 and it is produced by FX Productions with Waller serving as Showrunner.
In addition to aforementioned programs, FX will announce a number of new prestige projects in the coming months that will be included in this deal.

+Quote Post
Silas
post Dec 30 2018, 11:07 PM
Post #10
Queen of Soon

It's almost pilot season! I can't wait to see how many reboots/revamps make it through to the order stage this year, or if we will see some really inspired new ideas on Network TV to fight against the rise of Netflix

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Dec 30 2018, 11:39 PM
Post #11
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

They need to keep investing/developing shorter seasons. With so much TV available, no one’s here for a 22 episode season.

+Quote Post
Silas
post Dec 31 2018, 01:19 AM
Post #12
Queen of Soon

I still enjoy a good 22 episode season personally. It works for some of the more formulaic shows like NCIS, TBBT et al and I think there's a place for it still. However that place is not in a line up where everything is 22 episodes. I agree that I'd like to see shorter seasons, but not just the standard 13 half season. I'm here for explosive 3-5, maybe 6, episode dramas or even a short 4-8 episode run with 90min episodes (60 sans commercials).

The best line up for me would be some more of these event TV style shows (like a BBC drama), shorter runs, and then you have your staple 9pm Thursdays that bring in the big advertising bucks that subsidise you making some riskier choices. Some experimentation with formats and episode lengths and season lengths would be great for network TV and I think could help keep it interesting.

+Quote Post
p a v
post Dec 31 2018, 04:39 AM
Post #13
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
Member No.: 4,397

QUOTE(Santa Klaus @ Dec 31 2018, 02:39 AM) *
They need to keep investing/developing shorter seasons. With so much TV available, no one’s here for a 22 episode season.

exactly! I don't mind 30-min comedies that do 22 episodes but if I have to choose a 60-min show I'd definitely go for a short (<13 eps) season. it just makes me sad if I know I'm not going to be able to finish it and so I don't even bother

actually when you see a 6-episode 60/90-min drama you already expect it to be really good. first of all because it will be likely to pack a punch very early on and secondly because it's most likely going to be a one-off type of thing and you don't have to play this waiting game in terms of renewals and shit

This post has been edited by Conderella: Dec 31 2018, 04:42 AM

+Quote Post
Logan987
post Jul 26 2019, 08:01 AM
Post #14
New Entry
Member No.: 89,544
   No Gallery Pics

The Netflix another life series is so good to watch.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Aug 1 2019, 11:41 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

One Born Every Minute has been axed by Channel 4 after nearly a decade on air: https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/reality-tv/a2...ry-minute-axed/

The article states it was attracting an average of 5m back in 2010 whilst just 600k watched the final episode.

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Dec 13 2019, 05:06 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,543

I’ve just finished watching Good Omens on Amazon Prime. What a great series!

When I saw the trailer I thought it looked like reductive trash but I thought I’d give it a go as it had David Tenant in it and I was thoroughly impressed.

Strong Desperate Housewives vibes crossed with Once Upon A Time and a dashing of the bible.

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Dec 13 2019, 06:27 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

haven't seen the TV show but Good Omens the book is amazing, Neil Gaiman is the most imaginative writer ever

+Quote Post
Botchia
post Mar 17 2020, 10:42 PM
Post #18
I Drink Wine
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

Looks like there will be considerable scheduling gaps due to coronavirus as the Euros have been cancelled and many TV companies have had to halt production (including on major shows due for Autumn including Line of Duty, Peaky Blinders and The Apprentice).

Expect there will be a lot of repeats as we head into the Summer and new content will be saved for Autumn to fill gaps there.

Also rumours that the soaps will be stopping production soon and may have to reduce their schedule to avoid having a period without any episodes at all. Some papers suggesting two episodes a week 'rationing' until they're able to catch up with filming later in the year.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Sep 13 2020, 11:49 AM
Post #19
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

Sue Barker, Phil Tufnell and Matt Dawson have all been axed from A Question of Sport in favour of a new look for the show. Sue Barker has been presenting the show for over 23 years.

Honestly, I think this is a terrible decision. I’m not personally a huge fan of the show but I think it’s one that doesn’t need all these ‘shake ups’. The team works well and has great chemistry together and you need those dependable, reliable shows as I’m sure it has a loyal audience. I think they should have looked at creating a new sports show if they wanted a change. I don’t think an overhaul of AQOS is going to do anything but create a negative response.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Sep 13 2020, 05:23 PM
Post #20
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Klaus @ Sep 13 2020, 12:49 PM) *
Sue Barker, Phil Tufnell and Matt Dawson have all been axed from A Question of Sport in favour of a new look for the show. Sue Barker has been presenting the show for over 23 years.

Honestly, I think this is a terrible decision. I’m not personally a huge fan of the show but I think it’s one that doesn’t need all these ‘shake ups’. The team works well and has great chemistry together and you need those dependable, reliable shows as I’m sure it has a loyal audience. I think they should have looked at creating a new sports show if they wanted a change. I don’t think an overhaul of AQOS is going to do anything but create a negative response.

Terrible decision indeed. I don't see how the new look would work. Sue Barker is a great presenter. Phil and Matt were a great duo. Overhaul for A Question of Sport after 50 years leave it alone. I'm disappointed by the decision. I'm not sure if a new sports show would work.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:58 AM