BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> HMV - General Discussion
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
slowdown73
post Dec 28 2018, 10:17 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
Original topic title: ‘HMV filing for administration for a second time’

It would seem this has happened for 2nd time in six years. Can they be saved?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Lomadz
post Dec 28 2018, 10:19 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 23,274
Think that's it now sadly. I miss the time around 2000 when Virgin, HMV etc were around but these shops just aren't needed as much now and they haven't done much to change. The shops feel quite drab and the staff near me are not great. Still sad times though.

+Quote this post
Hallucinate
post Dec 28 2018, 10:29 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 20,759
It’s a shame. I really thought the turnaround had worked and the Vinyl revival had slowed the decline. If I really like an album I do still tend to go to HMV and get it on CD/Vinyl.

Obviously DVD sales have dropped of the earth since the last collapse, which won’t help.

I do wonder how this will affect music sales.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post Dec 28 2018, 10:40 AM
Post #4
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208
I'm sad to see this happen. I must admit at the last time it entered administration five years ago, I had lost my faith in it a bit because the staff at my local branch were snotty as anything, and they'd made the focus less and less about music.

But when Hilco came on board for the last rescue, I really felt like things had turned a corner and I started going there more frequently again, and the staff there were actually friendlier again, and I still do visit at least once every month or two months. I love their vinyl section, and I've gone there for Christmas presents every year for the last five years.

And especially as I swear against using Amazon unless there is no alternative to get a particular product from - partly because I don't agree with their employee practices and partly because of their tax situation (or rather lack of) - but of course, I realise just me shopping there once a month or so alone can't save it. It's an inevitable turn of events but that doesn't make it any less sad for those who still back the tangible, physical product.

And from my perspective, I always associate it with artist in-store events too. Nearly all of the album signings I've met Olly Murs at for example, have been at HMV. Friends I know have also met Kylie Minogue and Craig David amongst others at the Oxford Street branch. What's gonna happen to those opportunities for fans to meet their idols now?

+Quote this post
gavindeejay
post Dec 28 2018, 11:18 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Why do today, what you can do tomorrow?
User: 7,645
Oh dear sad.gif I hope it doesn’t go but I can’t see it being saved this time around sadly cry.gif

+Quote this post
Robbie
post Dec 28 2018, 11:43 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366
I hope HMV can be saved but I fear that this it this time. Sadly people don't feel the need to actually go to a record shop to buy a record.

It's the staff I feel the most sorry for. Losing a job isn't good at any time but to be threatened with losing your job over the Christmas and New Year period is possibly the worst of all. 10 years ago this week Woolies was closing down. Now it could be HMV.

+Quote this post
Jester
post Dec 28 2018, 11:45 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12
What? I thought they were doing ok... shame as I go there quite a bit sad.gif

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Dec 28 2018, 02:10 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
It is very sad but unfortunately a sign of the times. I will be surprised if HMV goes completely - they might remain as just an online service. Amazon are expensive for some things so HMV going will give them more of a monopoly.

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post Dec 28 2018, 02:25 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043
QUOTE(Robbie @ Dec 28 2018, 11:43 AM) *
10 years ago this week Woolies was closing down.

And I'm still not over that cry.gif

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post Dec 28 2018, 02:29 PM
Post #10
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208
QUOTE(slowdown73 @ Dec 28 2018, 02:10 PM) *
It is very sad but unfortunately a sign of the times. I will be surprised if HMV goes completely - they might remain as just an online service. Amazon are expensive for some things so HMV going will give them more of a monopoly.

Online could be the way forward. Then again Woolworths was only online for a short time after that disappeared from the high street before it got merged into Very.co.uk. Much as I want to see it saved, I think it's too ambitious at this point to suggest it could be saved a second time. As I said above, even myself alone shopping there regularly can't save it.

Half the reason HMV have to sell products at more than you'd find it online for is because they're being bled dry by business rates and tax - which the likes of Amazon don't pay - so they have to do that to try and keep profit margins going. That's the sad part.

There absolutely has to be an outlet somewhere for the physical consumer and music/film lover to go after all of this though that isn't unethical and clinical in it's modus operandi. Music is one of the most human experiences possible, and whilst I do have a paid Spotify account myself, it's not going to completely eradicate my love of CD and vinyl, because I love the tangibility and the ownership of them. I'm sure that's the case for hundreds, maybe thousands of others too.

Streaming services, be that for music, film, or TV, are only good to a point when things randomly disappear because of rights disputes or license lengths, or because record labels decide certain things aren't 'priority' because they're enjoyed by a select few. We've got to a stage in recent times where we have lone music fans masquerading as music industry people directly e-mailing heads of back catalogue at your Universal/Sony etc just to get things online.

Back on tangent though, I can't see HMV being lucky this time. I just hope those affected by losses etc aren't badly affected.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Dec 28 2018, 02:57 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
I was in HMV only this morning. ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Dec 28 2018, 03:51 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53
QUOTE(slowdown73 @ Dec 28 2018, 02:10 PM) *

Amazon's delivery rates of £2.99 for a CD now unless you have Prime are too much. Sometimes it's 99p but mostly £2.99. Okay charge for packaging and delivery but say no more than £1.49.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Dec 28 2018, 03:57 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(Crazy Christmas @ Dec 28 2018, 03:51 PM) *
Amazon's delivery rates of £2.99 for a CD now unless you have Prime are too much. Sometimes it's 99p but mostly £2.99. Okay charge for packaging and delivery but say no more than £1.49.

Once they'd squeezed out most of the competition, it was inevitable that they would start adding little extras like this.

+Quote this post
Mikee1981
post Dec 28 2018, 04:40 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 5,484
I be sad to see HMV go, I spend a lot in there and have done since the last time it was under threat, ours is always busy and the prices are the same or less then Amazon majority of the time and if not then its about a pound more which i'd rather pay instore then online to help the high street and i found purehmv rewards good and have had a few 50quid vouchers out of it which is always nice reward to have back.

Streaming has certainly ended the physical market as me and my mum discussed earlier if you go in HMV its mainly people my age (37) upwards you see not younger kids anymore.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Dec 28 2018, 06:20 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
Yes sad to see HMV going under again, I personally just buy vinyl so am onkynin once In a While!

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Dec 28 2018, 06:24 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
I'm guessing the decline in DVD sales has caused this as they actually overtook Amazon as the biggest retailer for physical music this year.

Hopefully they have a great closing down sale, I would like to make some nifty artwork if I can get Spice Girls Spice for 10 quid or less.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Dec 28 2018, 08:04 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Dec 28 2018, 06:24 PM) *
I'm guessing the decline in DVD sales has caused this as they actually overtook Amazon as the biggest retailer for physical music this year.

Yes but if the overall physical music market is decreasing over time, taking over from Amazon as the top retailer of physical music this year in the UK probably wasn't enough. Amazon might be deliberately decreasing their sales of physical music anyway, with the increasing popularity of streaming and decline in physical music sales.

This post has been edited by SnowflakeSnake❄️: Dec 28 2018, 08:06 PM

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Dec 28 2018, 08:18 PM
Post #18
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217
I didn't use my Pure HMV points that I'd accumulated. sad.gif I was waiting to reach enough points to get a money off voucher.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 29 2018, 10:00 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Tragic. I refuse to buy online unless there is no option, I'd rather pay ever so slightly more and get the loyalty points (HMV gave me £50 free product to spend cos I spend so much there), the staff are helpful, and it contributes jobs and business tax to the local economy and is the pin behind the ailing indoor shopping centre in Bournemouth that will inevitably get turned into flats or mega mobile phone and vaping units.

Sorry, but unless you use shops they will go, and the tax-dodging, minimum wage mega-corporations will rule the world because once their main competition is dead (shops) they can collaborate and charge whatever they like and you will have to pay it cos there wont be any shops, and the tax dodgers will have political clout over governments as there will be nowhere else to go!

Still, Merry Christmas!

+Quote this post
Slick
post Dec 29 2018, 10:03 AM
Post #20
Group icon
electric butterflies
User: 70
This is a shame, but then again I always browse and never buy from them and I expect lots of people are the same. They just can't compete with online retailers, especially in an age where people are not purchasing music in the traditional sense anymore.

+Quote this post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:55 AM