BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> European Election Thread 2019, EU, baby.
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
European Elections
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 45
Guests cannot vote 
Suedehead2
post Apr 20 2019, 11:23 AM
Post #41
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

I'm sure most Lib Dems would agree that the [party need to get back in the media. However, they cannot force papers to publish their press releases and they can't force broadcasters to report what the party is saying (although that changes a little in an election period). Farage, on the other hand, seems to have his every utterance reported uncritically, even when he uses inflammatory language about "putting the fear of God" into politicians at a time when many of them are receiving death threats.

Labour's ambiguity means that both sides will try and insist that the party's vote should be added to their side. Their current MEPs are overwhelmingly Remainers and they will be at the top of the party list. Therefore, most of those standing again will be re-elected. That should mean that the majority of UK MEPs will be Remainers.

The decision of the ChUKas to contest the elections may prove to be a mistake. At least the Greens can claim that they are a distinct party with their own policies and use that to justify standing against the Lib Dems. As they have almost no policies, the ChUKas can't claim that. I suspect there will be several areas where the Lib Dems and ChUKas both win no seats but where they would have won one if all the votes had gone to one of the parties.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Apr 20 2019, 11:34 AM
Post #42
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

What concerns me is that the Leave vote has a clear channel to be funnelled towards: the newly created Farage.. er, I mean, BREXIT party.

The Remain camp OTOH is likely to be split amongst the more progressive smaller parties, with ChUK helping to split that vote further rather than unite it. Ultimately they may end up undoing all of the momentum from the People's Vote movement and take the (currently unlikely) prospect of a 2nd referendum beyond all hope.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Apr 20 2019, 01:53 PM
Post #43
Paul Hyett
Group: Banned
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Apr 20 2019, 12:34 PM) *
What concerns me is that the Leave vote has a clear channel to be funnelled towards: the newly created Farage.. er, I mean, BREXIT party.

The Remain camp OTOH is likely to be split amongst the more progressive smaller parties, with ChUK helping to split that vote further rather than unite it. Ultimately they may end up undoing all of the momentum from the People's Vote movement and take the (currently unlikely) prospect of a 2nd referendum beyond all hope.

We can only hope... tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Apr 20 2019, 02:05 PM
Post #44
Howdy, disco citizens
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Some good news for Remainers is that The SDP, which currently has one MEP, has decided not to put forward any candidates for the European Elections. I think it's madness that despite their pro-Brexit stance that they would look a gift horse in the mouth and turn down an opportunity to re-build their profile on a national level, but hey ho, that's their prerogative.

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Apr 21 2019, 01:05 AM
Post #45
Shakin Stevens
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Farage and his career reminds me of Oswald Mosley a bit albeit he was never in government!

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Apr 21 2019, 05:08 AM
Post #46
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Apr 20 2019, 03:05 PM) *
Some good news for Remainers is that The SDP, which currently has one MEP, has decided not to put forward any candidates for the European Elections. I think it's madness that despite their pro-Brexit stance that they would look a gift horse in the mouth and turn down an opportunity to re-build their profile on a national level, but hey ho, that's their prerogative.

Or maybe they're afraid of another MRLP style humiliation?

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 21 2019, 10:48 AM
Post #47
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Apr 20 2019, 11:23 AM) *
I'm sure most Lib Dems would agree that the [party need to get back in the media. However, they cannot force papers to publish their press releases and they can't force broadcasters to report what the party is saying (although that changes a little in an election period). Farage, on the other hand, seems to have his every utterance reported uncritically, even when he uses inflammatory language about "putting the fear of God" into politicians at a time when many of them are receiving death threats.

Labour's ambiguity means that both sides will try and insist that the party's vote should be added to their side. Their current MEPs are overwhelmingly Remainers and they will be at the top of the party list. Therefore, most of those standing again will be re-elected. That should mean that the majority of UK MEPs will be Remainers.

The decision of the ChUKas to contest the elections may prove to be a mistake. At least the Greens can claim that they are a distinct party with their own policies and use that to justify standing against the Lib Dems. As they have almost no policies, the ChUKas can't claim that. I suspect there will be several areas where the Lib Dems and ChUKas both win no seats but where they would have won one if all the votes had gone to one of the parties.

I reckon that the existence of Labour will detract from the argument that it is a proxy referendum as their votes can't be claimed for either side, that said, if you feel strongly either way about the issue, then it would be a mistake to vote Labour.

Unless CUK really get going in the next month with TV appearances, I can see them performing rather dismally. What reason do people have to vote for them that means they wouldn't already be considering voting LDs as a Remain vote? I am not seeing positive messages of support from anywhere. And I certainly see the possibility you mention happening, this tweet from FT (found by simply searching 'Change UK', of course) shows how the potential results (from poll averages) would look with them divided and them united.

I'm actually itching to go campaign right now, and wishing I could. One disadvantage of trying to leave it all behind. I'll have to settle for social media making sure people are registered.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Apr 22 2019, 10:21 AM
Post #48
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

One of the UKIP candidates is called Dick Braine. Just thought I'd mention it.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 22 2019, 10:40 AM
Post #49
   No Gallery Pics

Pah, Mebyon Kernow have been playing the innuendo game for 22 years.

not that ole dick cole or the entire party is even likely standing

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Apr 23 2019, 11:17 AM
Post #50
Howdy, disco citizens
   No Gallery Pics

After Jacob Rees-Mogg’s sister was announced as a Brexit Party candidate, Change Uk have upped the ante by announcing Boris’ sister, the journalist Rachel Johnston, as their candidate (to the surprise of absolutely no one). They’ve also announced former Newsnight host Gavin Esner as a candidate.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Apr 23 2019, 03:06 PM
Post #51
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Hmmm let me see, someone who is the sister of a right wing Tory MP who is a barking mad liar and clearly in it for their own personal gain, but who sees the Tories as not right-wing enough, and the sister of a less-right-wing Tory MP who is barking mad and clearly in it for their own personal gain, but who sees the Tories as too right-wing and favours a public democratic vote on whatever botch deal that everyone hates but is eventually agreed upon.

Now what a dilemma, who on Earth shall I cast my vote for.....

The Lying Corrupt-we'll do-anything-to-get-our-way-even-subvert-democracy Farage Fan Club
The Lying Tory Split-for=decades Pink Elephants Fantasy Club
The staring-at-the-ground hoping no-one notices they=really=don't-agree-with-members Brexit-supporting shhh trying to not alienate two opposing sides of voters Labour Party
The Dead-as-a-dodo Nutkippers

or the referendum backing ChUK or the referendum-backing Libdems who will probably cancel each other out but we've no way of knowing which one is the lesser wasted vote.

Basically British Politics = nobody can agree on anything even when it's for the good of the country. I say let's all vote for Jon Snow (aka Aegon Targaryen)....

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Apr 27 2019, 08:15 PM
Post #52
Howdy, disco citizens
   No Gallery Pics

Two new opinion polls out today in regards to the European Elections. Both put Brexit Party & Labour Party as the most popular, with the former's support coming at the expense of the Tories & Ukip.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Apr 28 2019, 05:21 AM
Post #53
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Apr 27 2019, 09:15 PM) *
Two new opinion polls out today in regards to the European Elections. Both put Brexit Party & Labour Party as the most popular, with the former's support coming at the expense of the Tories & Ukip.

I don't think I've ever seen an election with such wide variance between the polls! unsure.gif

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Apr 28 2019, 06:01 AM
Post #54
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

Going off at a bit of a tangent - who has local elections in their area this week?

Alas, I do not. sad.gif

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Apr 28 2019, 06:21 AM
Post #55
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

Isn't hindsight wonderful... rolleyes.gif

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/a...-idea-says-poll

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 28 2019, 07:42 AM
Post #56
   No Gallery Pics

Probably fits better in the general Brexit thread but for myself I have always held that position. It should never have happened and I can point to it as being one of the main reasons I was so disheartened after the 2015 GE.

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Apr 28 2019, 05:21 AM) *
I don't think I've ever seen an election with such wide variance between the polls! unsure.gif

Yeah, completely unprecedented situation will do that.

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Apr 28 2019, 06:01 AM) *
Going off at a bit of a tangent - who has local elections in their area this week?

Alas, I do not. sad.gif

There should be a thread for that one, as it’s important. None in my former residence area either so nothing I’ve been following though.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Apr 28 2019, 08:52 AM
Post #57
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

I keep meaning to start a local election thread. I’ll try to do it this morning (unless a Mod gets there before me).

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Apr 30 2019, 10:16 PM
Post #58
Howdy, disco citizens
   No Gallery Pics

One candidate of note in the European Elections is Crispin Hunt, who is running for Change UK in the South West of England. This slightly excites me, as those members of Buzzjack who share a love of Britpop will immediately recognise him as the lead singer of Longpigs, who were responsible for one of my favourite songs of the era, "She Said". He has no hope of being elected, as he's the last person on ChUK's list in the region, and he is running for Change UK. But any excuse to post this wonderful song:

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post May 1 2019, 06:59 AM
Post #59
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Apr 30 2019, 11:16 PM) *
One candidate of note in the European Elections is Crispin Hunt, who is running for Change UK in the South West of England. This slightly excites me, as those members of Buzzjack who share a love of Britpop will immediately recognise him as the lead singer of Longpigs, who were responsible for one of my favourite songs of the era, "She Said". He has no hope of being elected, as he's the last person on ChUK's list in the region, and he is running for Change UK. But any excuse to post this wonderful song:

I'd vote for him on the basis that he's given me more pleasure than any other candidate on the ballot in the past. A bit like anyone voting Brexit Party without knowing a single policy of what they stand for bar one - but at least he can sing a tune wub.gif

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 1 2019, 07:27 AM
Post #60
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

She Said has s indeed a glorious song wub.gif

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:51 AM