BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
48 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Top of the Pops on BBC4, Part Three - Now into 1990
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Steve201
post Feb 2 2019, 11:40 PM
Post #401
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
That is wild considering Faith was George's first post Wham album!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Feb 3 2019, 04:25 PM
Post #402
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
QUOTE(Steve201 @ Feb 2 2019, 02:16 AM) *
Yeh two legendary artists for totp in 1987, the Bee Gees were to come as well; late 87 had some fantastic songs to look forward to as I feel the year started slow then from now got better with so many huge new releases a lot of which flopped such as Duran Duran/Frankie/Bananarama etc!

1987 is like 1985, loads of well known 80s pop classics seem to come at once, particularly by about April of that year.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Feb 23 2019, 09:03 AM
Post #403
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Did anyone see the TOTP hits of 1982 last night? Some difference in 5 years on that show musically and production wise!

+Quote this post
Mark.
post Mar 3 2019, 10:58 AM
Post #404
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,928
Looks like we won't be seeing Michael Jackson on TOTP repeats anymore
https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news...ed-bbc-14080612

This post has been edited by Mark.: Mar 3 2019, 11:59 AM

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Mar 4 2019, 09:16 AM
Post #405
Group icon
Did he ever actually perform on Top of the Pops after his early songs?

Is anyone following the 1987 reruns, it seems it has reached May now of 1987, I am just catching up with the episodes on iplayer.

'Living In A Box' I am a big fan of, that's an example of late 80s pop music done well I think. I used to be a big fan of the Starship song but on reflection it does sound a bit dated for 1987 I think. I still like it though. Also 'La Isla Bonita' is such a great holiday tune from Madonna. Also a new discovery for me on one of the video snippets, Fleetwood Mac's Big Love is a great funky tune!

Unfortunately neither of these songs seem to have been performed live at least on the surviving broadcast reruns sad.gif am particularly disappointed at the absence of 'Living In A Box'.

The live performance of Whitney's I Wanna Dance... is very good.

And that Wet Wet Wet debut 'Wishing I Was Lucky' is brilliant I think. It's a very unique sounding pop song I think. Pity they wouldn't release anything quite as interesting again sad.gif

The Level 42 song is nice enough but a bit cheesy, not one of their best I think.

And oh my at Male Stripper live on one of the February episodes, it is a great dancetastic song production-wise, not sure whether I like the lyrics though. mellow.gif Good fun though!

This post has been edited by T'Snerk: Mar 4 2019, 09:34 AM

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Mar 4 2019, 11:23 AM
Post #406
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961
Snakey,all the missing 1987 episodes are on youtube. This one is worth watching as it has Living In A Box,Strangelove by Depeche Mode,Never Take Me Alive by Spear Of Destiny and Boops (Here To Go) by Sly & Robbie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=685-O0e9E2o

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Mar 4 2019, 04:17 PM
Post #407
Group icon
QUOTE(King Rollo @ Mar 4 2019, 11:23 AM) *
Snakey,all the missing 1987 episodes are on youtube. This one is worth watching as it has Living In A Box,Strangelove by Depeche Mode,Never Take Me Alive by Spear Of Destiny and Boops (Here To Go) by Sly & Robbie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=685-O0e9E2o

Thanks I am watching that now!

Living In a Box by Living In A Box, what a tune! I have thought for a while that it reminded me of Colonel Abrams' Trapped in terms of production style, turns out they have the same producer! Brilliant 80s production anyway!

Strangelove is a great song too, I like the verses particularly. 'Never Take Me Alive' is very good too, alternative rock was really starting to become more popular ahead of the 90s.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Mar 4 2019, 05:12 PM
Post #408
Group icon
A snippet of Donna Allen's Serious is played as a new entry in the most recent episode. You may recognise a part of it which was sampled in another song wink.gif

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Mar 4 2019, 11:18 PM
Post #409
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Last fridays episode was an absolute classic with the legendary duo of Peter Powell and Simon Bates (2 old hands by 1987) presenting and NE performances from Whitney with arguably her most famous track and many more.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Mar 5 2019, 12:49 PM
Post #410
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
QUOTE(T @ Mar 4 2019, 09:16 AM) *
Did he ever actually perform on Top of the Pops after his early songs?

Is anyone following the 1987 reruns, it seems it has reached May now of 1987, I am just catching up with the episodes on iplayer.

'Living In A Box' I am a big fan of, that's an example of late 80s pop music done well I think. I used to be a big fan of the Starship song but on reflection it does sound a bit dated for 1987 I think. I still like it though. Also 'La Isla Bonita' is such a great holiday tune from Madonna. Also a new discovery for me on one of the video snippets, Fleetwood Mac's Big Love is a great funky tune!

Unfortunately neither of these songs seem to have been performed live at least on the surviving broadcast reruns sad.gif am particularly disappointed at the absence of 'Living In A Box'.

The live performance of Whitney's I Wanna Dance... is very good.

And that Wet Wet Wet debut 'Wishing I Was Lucky' is brilliant I think. It's a very unique sounding pop song I think. Pity they wouldn't release anything quite as interesting again sad.gif

The Level 42 song is nice enough but a bit cheesy, not one of their best I think.

And oh my at Male Stripper live on one of the February episodes, it is a great dancetastic song production-wise, not sure whether I like the lyrics though. mellow.gif Good fun though!

I adore Living In A Box and La Isla Bonita, future chart-toppers for me (when I catch up!) laugh.gif

wet Wet Wet's debut was fab - nothing they did subsequently was as good, though Goodbye Girl, Cold Cold Heart and a couple of others were good.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Mar 9 2019, 02:51 PM
Post #411
Group icon
The subtitle of this thread needs changed, still says 1986 oops. wink.gif

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Mar 5 2019, 12:49 PM) *
wet Wet Wet's debut was fab - nothing they did subsequently was as good, though Goodbye Girl, Cold Cold Heart and a couple of others were good.

Goodnight Girl was my birth day #1 so I do have a bit of a soft spot for that one I suppose...

This post has been edited by T'Snerk: Mar 9 2019, 03:03 PM

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Mar 14 2019, 08:30 PM
Post #412
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Just watching the 11/6/1987 show here and hip hop seems to really have hit the mainstream in 1986/87 with big hits for Run DMC & Beastie Boys!

11/6/1987 Presented by Peter Powell & Simon Bates

John Farnham You're The Voice
Beastie Boys No Sleep Til Brooklyn (Video)
Run DMC It's Tricky (Video)
Whitesnake Is This Love (Video)
Tom Jones It's Not Unusual
ABC When Smokie Sings (Video)
JohnnyLogan Hold Me Now
**No1** Whitney Houston I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Video)**
Jody Whatley Lookin For a New Love (Video)

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Mar 15 2019, 10:11 AM
Post #413
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Whatever I thought about them at the time (eg I rated Whitney's top 10) in retrospect, err 2 classics (Tom Jones is a 60'S classic leaving only ABC as "new"), a goodie in John Farnham, the rest merely meh and a step down from the early 80's. Roll on Pet Shop Boys, U2, Fleetwood Mac, Jacko, Bee Gees and other veterans to save the day!

+Quote this post
fiesta
post Mar 15 2019, 09:52 PM
Post #414
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 232
John Farnham was streaming long before everyone else started doing it. He used to be in a group called The Little River Band!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Mar 16 2019, 10:48 AM
Post #415
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(fiesta @ Mar 15 2019, 09:52 PM) *
John Farnham was streaming long before everyone else started doing it. He used to be in a group called The Little River Band!

arf!

I have fond memories of Little River Band, Lonesome Loser was a big radio track when I did a South-West USA fly-drive tour, and Reminsicing is sweet...in fact doing it now! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Tedward
post Mar 17 2019, 09:15 PM
Post #416
Group icon
CURSED
User: 69,463
Not posted in here for a while, have still been watching the repeats though. Favourites from recent episodes for me have been Cameo's Back And Forth, JAMC's April Skies, and the brilliant It's A Sin which deserved the #1 spot we'll be seeing it at next week- though the current song at the top is utter dogshite laugh.gif

The episode from 5th March 87 that was shown a while back is probably the best one from this year so far- Forgotten Town, It Doesn't Have To Be, Respectable, Manhattan Skyline, all great songs performed on that ep. I do miss John presenting with Janice though, her shows with Gary Davies and Simon Mayo haven't been the same!

We have also been missing some pretty good Mike Smith editions, the episode previously mentioned with Depeche Mode was a great one. At the moment the repeats are at a point in the year where he doesn't present an episode for three months (June all the way through to August), probably the longest stretch of consecutive shows BBC4 has had since Yewtree happened!

However Smithy comes back with a vengence in September and presents a whole month of episodes- where we'll miss Pump Up The Volume's entire run at #1. This is also the point at which the American version was launched, and I've heard all of Gary's links are left over on the UK master tapes- if true, will be interesting to see some on the Smith editions he co-presents if we keep getting ones taken from the BBC Archive. There was a recent live episode he presented, with left over footage in which you could hear him speaking to the audience.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Mar 18 2019, 12:26 AM
Post #417
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Must be why we've seen the return of Peter Powell with avengence!!

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Mar 19 2019, 11:44 PM
Post #418
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Top of the Pops

18/06/1987 presented by Janice Long & Simon Mayo

Samantha Fox Nothings Gonna Stop Me Now
Whitesnake Is This Love? (Video)
Tom Jones It's Not Unusual
ABC When Smokie Sings
Chris Rea Lets Dance (Video)
Janet Jackson The Pleasure Principle (Video)
Curiosity Killed the Cat Misfit
**No1** The Firm Star Trekkin **No1**
Broken English Comin on Strong (Video)

What a random no1, where did it come from? Seems to be the Spitting Image of 1987. I distinctly remember watching that video as a 4 year old when it was on totp, don't know why just do!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Mar 20 2019, 12:40 PM
Post #419
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I think it was the equivalent of a Klingon - something you just stepped in and couldn't scrape off laugh.gif Still, at least it was funnier than Sam Fox's hit....

On future episodes, outrageous if they miss out MARRS entirely, a groundbreaking record!

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Mar 20 2019, 03:24 PM
Post #420
Group icon
QUOTE(fiesta @ Mar 15 2019, 09:52 PM) *

I am usually not that into ballads much but 'You're The Voice' is brilliant. It often appears on compilation albums with fellow big 80s rock ballads Foreigner's 'I Want To Know What Love Is' and Toto's 'Africa', but I certainly prefer 'You're The Voice'.

I see what you mean Steve and everyone else here about the theme tune, I do like 'The Wizard' but it is getting rather irritating now hearing it at the start of every episode, the calmer one before makes a better theme tune.

RUN DMC - It's Tricky was good fun!

ABC - When Smokey Sings is a very nice song even though it is rather cheesy and poppy compared to 'Look Of Love' or 'Poison Arrow'.

What a random no1, where did it come from? Seems to be the Spitting Image of 1987. I distinctly remember watching that video as a 4 year old when it was on totp, don't know why just do!

The recent novelty hit 'Baby Shark' certainly reminded me of 'Star Trekkin' with the style of vocal used in the song.

This post has been edited by Mr. Hiss: Mar 20 2019, 05:35 PM

+Quote this post

48 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:52 PM