BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Body Language: Underrated Gem or Poor Follow-up?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Regina
post Jan 20 2016, 10:59 PM
Post #1
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

As we all know, Kylie chose to follow up her best selling era, Fever, with an album that was a totally different sound. Rather than polished dance pop she went all American on us. The album fared to gain as much love or sale as Fever and many seem to look down on it as a result. It did provide another #1 single in Slow and Kylie has mentioned going back to that sound in the future. She didn't tour the album either, so it might have fared better if she had, but then, she was in danger of wearing herself out and she did embark on Showgirl in 2005.
Did you all enjoy BL as a whole? Did you enjoy Americanlie? What songs stood out to you and are any of them up there with your favourites from Kylie? Would you welome a return to this sound?

Is Red Blooded Woman one of her best and most underrated singles?

Does RAPLIE need to return?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Qween
post Jan 21 2016, 12:22 AM
Post #2
Schlagerdrottningen
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

It's both, as a follow up it was a smart idea not to do a complete retread of 'Fever' (as that would only have lead to diminishing returns anyway) but I think she forgot that the most important thing she had going for her with almost everything post Comeback was top notch pop hooks. The more American/R&B leanings of the album just don't allow for that for the most part. Totally aside from the fact some of the music is just utter dreck, of course.

That said, some of it also excellent. Chocolate is oft maligned, totally unfairly, and the likes of After Dark and Cruise Control are a really good blend of the sound she was known for and the sound she was going for with the album. Stuff like Sweet Music, I Feel For You and a few others were just NOT.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Jan 21 2016, 12:40 AM
Post #3
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I admire her for taking a risk and not spitting out a copy of Fever, I love the album but on the other side of the coin it does kind of sound like an album of demos. I don't think it's *that* American/R&B, it mostly sounds like mid tempo electro pop to me. 'Someday' and 'I Feel For You' are unbearable for me, but I can listen to the rest.

I say it every time and I'm sure you're all bored of hearing it, but the one thing that annoys me about this era (always has, always will) is how 'Secret (Take You Home)' didn't get to be a single. It's utterly magnificent.

'Red Blooded Woman' I did really like at the time but it's not aged very well for me, I consider it down with her average singles in the Parlo canon these days and it's honestly my 10th favourite song on this album.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Jan 21 2016, 02:43 AM
Post #4
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

It took me a while to fully connect with this album as I didn't get it at the time. While I have warmed to it through the years, I still don't find it anywhere near her best or greatest. I do understand why she went with this direction and actually glad she didn't do a Fever Pt 2. There are some decent moments on this album such as the singles "Slow" and "Red Blooded Woman", along with "Still Standing", "Secret (Take You Home)" ,"Cruise Control" & "After Dark".

The album does start off well, but kinda gets muddled in the middle and never fully recovers and I do agree she should have released "Secret" as a single, coz I just didn't like "Chocolate" at all, found it rather dull and never really gets going.

On the whole, an okay album, just not one of her best, but do admire the risk she took though for artistic reasons. "Red Blooded Woman" is a decent single, but again she's had better.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Jan 21 2016, 07:48 PM
Post #5
Raining Shitter

As I've said time and time again, I find Fever to be overrated and one of her weaker albums, wheras I think this is one of her best. Of all her Parlo albums, this is the
only one where she actually took something of a risk. While not totally American sounding, it is a big change from her two last albums and I think it pays off.
It's one of my favourite Kylie albums and it works as a whole. Raplie is iconic too.

+Quote Post
Red Blooded Man
post Jan 22 2016, 03:34 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 822
   No Gallery Pics

For me it's neither a poor-follow up nor an underrated gem. It's a nice follow-up and Slow was the standout from the era. It's not that RnB and I don't think she ever got very close to RnB except a couple of attempts to "rap" part of the songs on the album.

There are some good songs on the album and the bonus track "Slo Motion" is also excellent. It just doesn't have a killer track that failed to propel the album into stardom that we had expected.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Jan 22 2016, 03:53 PM
Post #7
   No Gallery Pics

Imagine if she did choose to record “Toxic” instead of passing it up, it would have been interesting to hear what Kylie would have done with it.

Also “I’m Just Here For The Music” and “On The Up”, should have at least been included as bonus tracks or b-sides at least.

+Quote Post
Dannyboy
post Jan 22 2016, 07:27 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 632
   No Gallery Pics

Personally this for me is her worst album, never really listen to it. Slow is amazing but that's pretty much it. I do love all the styling for this era though. And if I could have picked any singles, the only other song that I would have liked after "Red Blooded Women" would have been "Loving Days". Not only do I think the songs are not good enough overall but I despise the constant nasal vocal she has on that album.

This post has been edited by Dannyboy: Jan 22 2016, 07:28 PM

+Quote Post
Regina
post Jan 22 2016, 07:43 PM
Post #9
Raining Shitter

How can any self respecting Kylie fan prefer Enjoy Yourself over this though?

+Quote Post
Dannyboy
post Jan 22 2016, 10:01 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Regina @ Jan 22 2016, 07:43 PM) *
How can any self respecting Kylie fan prefer Enjoy Yourself over this though?

Personal tastes and preference, maybe nostalgia. I actually love Enjoy Yourself

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Jan 22 2016, 10:28 PM
Post #11
   No Gallery Pics

I also think that Enjoy Yourself is a great album with so many great tracks as well as the singles (Hand On Your Heart, Wouldn't Change A Thing & Never Too Late).

For the Body Language era the singles should have went = Slow, Red Blooded Woman, Secret (Take You Home) & Loving Days.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Jan 24 2016, 12:07 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

For me Body Language will always be a poor follow up. While i love Chocolate and really like Slow the album has never clicked with me and i never listen to it. Maybe i should revisit this era as my tastes have changed since it was released.

Enjoy Yourself gets a hard time by many but i love the album and its among one of fave album from Kylie and i would rate it miles head of Body Language.

+Quote Post
Red Blooded Man
post Jan 24 2016, 07:48 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Acidburn @ Jan 22 2016, 11:53 PM) *
Imagine if she did choose to record “Toxic” instead of passing it up, it would have been interesting to hear what Kylie would have done with it.

I really don't think Toxic is really her cup of tea.

I also love all the costumes for the Money Can't Buy concert, they were perfect.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Jan 25 2016, 12:24 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

Toxic for me wouldnt have suited Kylie, but i dont like the song anyway so maybe im biased.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Jan 25 2016, 03:03 AM
Post #15
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I don't see how it would have fit on the album either.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jan 25 2016, 05:46 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Yeah, I agree with the general opinion expressed in this thread. Body Language has taken a long time to warm and, whilst I can say I like the album now, it could still have some more growing to do. The production on most tracks is quite interesting and the general sound she was looking for is definitely something that suits her and her voice. The main problem is what John said: there's a lack of strong pop hooks so, whilst there may be no bad songs on the album, a few of them do seem to just be there. Still, if it's true Kylie is wanting to record something on a similar vein to this album, I'm quite confident she'd be able to correct past mistakes and achieve what this album could have been. I've found that recent tracks like 'Sleeping with the Enemy' and 'Your Body' have had something Body Language-esque about them and both are catchy as f*** so more like that please!

The singles have always been the highlights to this album but I've got to admit that 'Red Blooded Woman' and, to a lesser extent, 'Chocolate' do feel a little out of place (part of that reason is because they do have the pop hooks that were necessary). Maybe a few tweaks to the tracking list and a couple more R&B-infused tracks could have improved things. Upon re-listening, I'm really liking the likes of 'Secret' and the last 3 tracks on the standard edition and I feel these in particular could really grow on me further.

Also, I've tried to imagine Kylie singing 'Toxic' and I can't see her pulling it off. That's partly down to it being so associated with Britney to the point no-one else could/can touch it but, even despite that, I can't see it working for Kylie.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Jan 26 2016, 09:55 PM
Post #17
Raining Shitter

I can see Kylie doing Toxic tbh, I can almost hear her annoying breathy vocals on it already.

+Quote Post
Red Blooded Man
post Jan 27 2016, 08:07 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

She can sing it and would probably sing well, but it doesn't suit her style to be honest.

+Quote Post
Dannyboy
post Jan 29 2016, 01:12 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

As Kylie said though, the version she heard is nothing like the Britney version we all know production wise

+Quote Post
slowdown73
post Jan 29 2016, 01:39 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 1,031
   No Gallery Pics

Body language is a very solid album. Its certainly not as commercial sounding as Fever and strays more into the RnB direction than Pop. I do think its underrated and would kind of put the album in similar league to Impossible Princess because its different to her other work.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:05 AM