BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Like a Prayer Demo Tracking-List Revealed
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 11th July 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

My old friend and collaborator Bruce Gaitch just sent me this cassette. It's the demos for Like a Prayer. Haven't heard them since we did them. Should be interesting. #likeaprayer #madonna #demos
Posted on Patrick Leonard's instagram, this is the demo tracking list for the Like a Prayer album. Would be great to hear these - even if they're unfinished or without vocals, this era was a time of great experimenting that hearing those initial ideas are bound to be interesting.

DrownedMadonna reveals a few more details regarding the list:
Patrick Leonard has posted a pic of the cassette with the original Like a Prayer demos. And of course we are excited!

The cassette contains 10 tracks. Three are only instrumentals. 6 songs made the final tracklist of Like a Prayer. Two titles were different: “Little Girl” is “Promise to Try”, while “Out of Time” became “Till Death Do Us Part”.

The real juicy news is the definitive confirmation of the song “Angels with Dirty Faces”, which here is labelled just as “Angels”. Previously also Bruce Gaitch confirmed this track.

“‘Angels’ is a song called ‘Angels with Dirty Faces’ that Madonna and I wrote for the [Like a Prayer] album and ultimately must have decided that wasn’t good enough,” Patrick Leonard explains. “It’s a finished song with her vocal that no one has ever heard and it’s pretty damn good.”

The title “Angels with Dirty Faces” was previously known amoung the biggest fans. It is also a title of a James Cagney movie from 1938. Also “White Heat” from True Blue took its name from a James Cagney movie. That probably made everything suppose that “Angels with Dirty Faces” was written for True Blue abum. But Patrick Leonard denied it, and said that it is a track written for Like a Prayer.

“‘Boss’s Nova’ is a Latin feel idea that never got there. No vocal. Just an idea,” reveals Leonard. “’20’s Jazz’, the same, as is ‘Mid Tempo’. Sparks that made no fire. It happens. Side two of the tape is blank so #11, #12 and Dance don’t exist.”

“They’re first day versions, so the day we wrote them,” says Leonard. “They have a lead vocal and some backgrounds. Not produced. Without live players and strings and choirs etc. We worked from these versions and they became the records.”

“Oh Father” is not on this cassette. “It was written before all of this”, Patrick Leonard reveals.

Also “Supernatural” is not on this tape. It is yet not clear when it was exactly written.

“Express Yourself”, “Keep it Together” and “Love Song” are not on this tape neither because Madonna wrote them with Steve Bray and Prince.

The cassette with the demos of Madonna’s Like a Prayer album has been sent to Patrick Leonard from Bruce Gaitch, who took part in the recordings of the album and previously co-wrote La Isla Bonita with Madonna. “Haven’t heard them since we did them,” said Leonard.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vibe
post 11th July 2017, 07:35 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

If only he would post online .

+Quote this post
vibe
post 11th July 2017, 08:37 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

He's posted a snippet . Reminded me of Wtg era.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 14th July 2017, 07:31 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

^ Referring to the 'Angels'/'Angels with Dirty Faces' clip, I'm guessing?

Link to the clip here. It sounds really promising from just that 15 seconds, although I can kinda see why it didn't make it to the final album. As you say vibe, it's a bit more True Blue/Who's That Girl? era and there was a clear departure from that sound with Like a Prayer. I do hope he releases it in full - the article from DrownedMadonna does say it exists as a full song with vocal.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 10:32 AM