BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bye bye from the BBC to Brian Matthew, radio legend, not his personal choice to leave...
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post Feb 25 2017, 09:59 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Just listening to his final show of Sounds Of The 60's, a veteran of the BBC for most of my life. Brian is a gentleman legend, big during the Beatles heyday, and he's read out my letters and request and sent me a hat (thanks Brian!) - Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood's Sand was my request.

After a bout of illness at the age of 88 and against his wishes, the BBC decided to bring in another recently unfairly dumped former 60's (but younger) legend, Tony Blackburn, and move the show to a time when no-one interested in 60's music is likely to be up and about (6am). Having recently lost Desmond Carrington (post-war veteran) and regained Paul Gambaccini (American DJ encyclopedia of music and thoroughly nice guy, who also sent me a nice letter back in the day) it's a veritable winner-loser scenario with the BBC when it comes to DJ's of a certain age. Obviously no-one is guaranteed a job forever, but older listeners have now been marginalised with nowhere else to go to for pre-70's music other than the odd token-show off-peak.

Thanks Brian, stay well, and hope to see you on regular specials.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bigwiglaf
post Feb 27 2017, 12:31 AM
Post #2
pop goes the world...
Group: Members
Member No.: 1,426
   No Gallery Pics

Sad to hear of his leaving, albeit not by his own choice....seems to happen here, too, in the US, in some regions/demographics, to sack a DJ who 'underperforms' or does something that seemingly annoys management...although I've not heard him on-air, as I live in the US, I shall miss his presence on-air...

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Feb 27 2017, 08:55 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

I heard his final show on Saturday and don't mind Tony Blackburn as new host but it's stupid to move it to 6am. It'll lose a lot of listeners. I know there's listen again but I may not even bother with that.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:01 PM