BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
58 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> Coronavirus Part 4, The Final Chapter?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
TheSnake
post 5th June 2020, 01:00 PM
Post #41
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

I am happy with this new regulation about the use of masks as while masks aren't perfect in stopping spread of coronavirus, its certainly better than people not wearing them I think. Unfortunately, there have been fears though that the wearing of masks regulations will be used to advance lockdown easing too quickly. Especially with this ridiculous and potentially dangerous talk about reducing social distancing from two meters to one meter.

This post has been edited by The Snake: 5th June 2020, 01:03 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 5th June 2020, 02:40 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

That 2m to 1m rule is a load of tosh anyway. That isn't going to change anyone's behaviour from what it currently is, it's simply just to speed up the process of allowing the hospitality industry to reopen.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 5th June 2020, 03:21 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

Sky News saying that worryingly the R figure's crept above 1 in some areas of the UK today with the NW being the highest. Suppose those who said the lockdown was being lifted too soon will say we told you so.

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris: 5th June 2020, 04:20 PM

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 5th June 2020, 04:24 PM
Post #44
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

QUOTE(Crazy Chris @ Jun 5 2020, 04:21 PM) *
Sky News saying that worryingly the R figure's crept above 1 in some areas of the UK today with the NW being the highest. Suppose those who said the lockdown was being lifted too soon will say we told you so.

It’s the speed at which it has been lifted that is the issue rather than the fact it’s being lifted. The government seem to have decided they can live with ~300 deaths a day as long as they can make money from it.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 5th June 2020, 05:33 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

The R0 can be really volatile so just exercise some caution about the day to day changes.

The last 7 daily R0’s for the city/state Berlin has been: 0,36-1,41-1,66-1,95-1,32-0,85-0,62

Mental

+Quote this post
Harve
post 5th June 2020, 05:36 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

The Guardian headline right now is 'Face masks and coverings to be mandatory in English hospitals' and I'm just like 'they haven't been for the last 3 months???'

And on the subject of masks, my brother laughed at me when I told him we all had to wear one at work and seemingly there's an aversion to wearing them, probably for various masculinity-related reasons.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 6th June 2020, 07:54 AM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

I dislike them because they make my beard itch and are generally super-uncomfortable. A positive side is that they add an element of secrecy (couple the mask with sunglasses and headphones and ain't noone bothering you in the streets!)

On the super rare occasions I will take public transport I will have to ensure I've one to hand, which given how forgetful I am will probably catch me out until I institutionalise it as normal in my brain.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 7th June 2020, 12:17 PM
Post #48
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Those criticising the protests and saying ‘Now is not the time’ need to wake up and smell the coffee. There is very little likelihood of a vaccine in the next year, possibly ever. These social distancing rules and enforced mask wearing on public transport could well be in force for years to come. I feel like some people have yet to face up to the new reality of our lives for some time to come.

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 7th June 2020, 12:23 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jun 7 2020, 01:17 PM) *
Those criticising the protests and saying ‘Now is not the time’ need to wake up and smell the coffee. There is very little likelihood of a vaccine in the next year, possibly ever. These social distancing rules and enforced mask wearing on public transport could well be in force for years to come. I feel like some people have yet to face up to the new reality of our lives for some time to come.

When was the last time there was a global pandemic, a global economic crash, a global social movement — all happening at the same time? This is a pivotal year in our history and not just a bump in the road. I do empathise and understand the concerns, but people thinking everything is going to go back to how it was after this are in for a rude awakening.

This post has been edited by blacksquare: 7th June 2020, 12:26 PM

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 7th June 2020, 12:34 PM
Post #50
Group icon

Some more revelations about the 'Cummings' incident:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/priti-patel-could-face-axe-22149571.amp

No10 ordered ministers to tweet backing for Boris Johnson ’s top aide as the public exploded with outrage over his flouting of lockdown.

But the Home Secretary, Justice Secretary Robert Buckland and ­International Trade boss Liz Truss ignored the command. Now they face being ousted in the PM’s Cabinet reshuffle expected next month.

A senior Tory MP said: “They were told their future careers would be affected if they didn’t do it.”

Every day I feel more and more like I'm living in a fascist dictatorship.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 7th June 2020, 12:57 PM
Post #51
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jun 7 2020, 01:34 PM) *
Some more revelations about the 'Cummings' incident:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/priti-patel-could-face-axe-22149571.amp
Every day I feel more and more like I'm living in a fascist dictatorship.

Yeah I suspected that, I am sure in one paper there was one Cabinet minister who was told to tweet support but they kept silent on the matter as Cummings did not care about their views, so why would he care if they tweeted support.

I know the election is a long way away but seeing how the polls have shifted quite quickly and there was definite widespread contempt in Tories, you'd feel that at least some of the more liberal Tories and even some backbenchers might be a little less supportive.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 7th June 2020, 02:05 PM
Post #52
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Agree, that's what I hope, although from what I've witnessed, outside of the odd tweet of dissatisfaction, most of the governing party seem very much like cronies at this point in time. The lack of calling out the narrative-shifting and truth-suppressing I've seen from this government is quite worrying.

QUOTE(blacksquare @ Jun 7 2020, 12:23 PM) *
When was the last time there was a global pandemic, a global economic crash, a global social movement — all happening at the same time? This is a pivotal year in our history and not just a bump in the road. I do empathise and understand the concerns, but people thinking everything is going to go back to how it was after this are in for a rude awakening.

Oh certainly. 1990-2020 I think will be a future historical period now. The basics of the economic order will likely continue, but with America in chaos, China reemerging pretty well from the virus, mass social dissatisfaction in the West, I think we might be in for at least an international power shift if not a few drastic societal changes. It was coming anyway, but the virus exacerbated and brought to the fore a lot of the issues (wealth inequality, the insatiable demand for growth, consumerism, exploitation of the global South, climate change, some of which were only tangentially affected but remain thorns in our side) with our current system. How we go about responding to that in the next few years is very important.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 7th June 2020, 02:25 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Rooney @ Jun 7 2020, 01:57 PM) *
Yeah I suspected that, I am sure in one paper there was one Cabinet minister who was told to tweet support but they kept silent on the matter as Cummings did not care about their views, so why would he care if they tweeted support.

I know the election is a long way away but seeing how the polls have shifted quite quickly and there was definite widespread contempt in Tories, you'd feel that at least some of the more liberal Tories and even some backbenchers might be a little less supportive.

Pritti Hopeless does not fit any recognisable definition of the word liberal.

Johnson / Cummings had a major reshuffle in February, following the one immediately after he became PM last July and another (fairly minor) one after the election in December. Perhaps Cummings will be sacking Johnson next month.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 7th June 2020, 03:20 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

72 deaths today. I know figures are lower at the weekend but a long time since we had a figure under 100. When people hear that they'll definitely think lockdown's virtually over or there's no need for it now.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 7th June 2020, 03:54 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Scotland reported no Covid deaths in the last 24 hours. Great news.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 7th June 2020, 04:02 PM
Post #56
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jun 7 2020, 03:25 PM) *
Pritti Hopeless does not fit any recognisable definition of the word liberal.

Johnson / Cummings had a major reshuffle in February, following the one immediately after he became PM last July and another (fairly minor) one after the election in December. Perhaps Cummings will be sacking Johnson next month.

I know she doesn't and honestly I would glad to see the back of her from the Cabinet. But they could easily replace them with someone equally as awful like Andrea Leadsome.

We'll see what a Cabinet reshuffle brings on a small level.

+Quote this post
-0-0
post 7th June 2020, 04:45 PM
Post #57
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

QUOTE(Crazy Chris @ Jun 7 2020, 04:54 PM) *
Scotland reported no Covid deaths in the last 24 hours. Great news.

Absolutely excellent, I know the weekend is always a bit lower but it’s great to see that for the first time since early March!

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 8th June 2020, 01:08 PM
Post #58
Group icon

Meanwhile in New Zealand:

"Today the Ministry of Health is very pleased to report no active cases of COVID-19 in New Zealand [...]for the first time since February 28 [...] It is now 17 days since the last new case was reported"

22 deaths reported in total there through this global pandemic, the last infected person recovered today and there hasn't been a new case reported for 17 days.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/...clared-no-cases

The entire country will soon reopen with ZERO restrictions in force.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 8th June 2020, 01:22 PM
Post #59
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jun 8 2020, 02:08 PM) *
Meanwhile in New Zealand:
22 deaths reported in total there through this global pandemic, the last infected person recovered today and there hasn't been a new case reported for 17 days.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/...clared-no-cases

The entire country will soon reopen with ZERO restrictions in force.

It's really positive and shows how forceful action at the start can help.

But it doesn't solve the problem that the country relies heavily on tourism and they have still their borders shut for the forseeable future (I'd expect this to be the case for their entire winter). Hopefully by August we will know a lot more whether this famed vaccine will be available for mass distribution.

Meanwhile in Florida & Arizona they are noticing increase in spikes since restrictions were heavily relaxed..

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 8th June 2020, 01:28 PM
Post #60
Group icon

I'm sure that they will soon be able to open up to tourism for many other countries that have crushed the curve: https://www.endcoronavirus.org/countries

Not the UK though, that remains in 'complete basket case' territory. laugh.gif

+Quote this post

58 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 07:15 AM