BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter 2017: Week #18, ...or will i wake up alone? // + links + write-up
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post May 2 2017, 05:18 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Chainsmokers-Jhene takes the crown a second week running, fending off increasingly stiff competition from Gaga’s The Cure, which zooms up to just below Flame at #2 this week. Kendrick’s Humble moves up one to nab him his first top 5 as a solo artist.

Brooke Candy, Galantis, and Gryffin/Daya all reach new peaks within the top 10 this week, with Galantis reversing its slide down the chart from last week. There’s also two top 10 debuts from Dua Lipa – who’s having a really good year - and Martin Solveig. There’s a bunch more new entries this week; Wild Belle, M0, Steps, Two Door, Take That, Little Dragon, Goldfrapp, Charli XCX, Emma Lauran, Elina Born, Sigrid and Paramore land with new tracks, along with some others as you’ll see in the longlist. That’s just right below this post: counting up the last 30 days up to the end of April.

Look out for my later posts in this thread for some new entry links and commentary!

01 Chainsmokers ft. Jhené Aiko – Wake Up Alone [14-1-1]
02 Tinashe - Flame [18-5-2-2]
03 Lady Gaga - The Cure [15-3]
04 David Guetta ft. Nicki Minaj + Lil Wayne - Light My Body Up [3-4]
05 Kendrick Lamar - Humble [35-6-5]
06 Brooke Candy ft. Sia - Living Out Loud [22-8-8-6]
07 Galantis - Rich Boy [20-23-7]
08 Dua Lipa ft. Miguel - Lost In Your Light [N]
09 Gryffin + Illenium ft. Daya - Feel Good [22-14-9]
10 Martin Solveig ft. Ina Wroldsen - Places [N]
11 Little Mix - No More Sad Songs [14-28-22-28-X14-33-4-11]
12 Wild Belle - Throw Down Your Guns [N]
13 Jason Derulo, Nicki Minaj + Ty Dolla $ign - Swalla [34-3-2-2-4-X3-37-13]
14 M0 - Nights With You [N]
15 Prides - Away With the Night [35-39-X3-14-10-10-15]
16 Steps - No More Tears on the Dancefloor [N]
17 Goldfrapp - Systemagic [N]
18 Two Door Cinema Club - Je Viens De La [N]
19 Gorillaz ft. D.R.AM. - Andromeda [24-19]
20 Take That - Lucky Stars [N]
21 Little Dragon - Sweet [N]
22 Alt-J - 3WW [39-32-22]
23 Anne-Marie - Ciao Adios [11-7-23]
24 Meadowlark x Prides - Headlights [32-17-12-24]
25 Iggy Azalea - Mo Bounce [38-25]
26 Elina Born - In or Out [N]
27 Charli XCX ft. Uffie - Babygirl [N]
28 Emma Lauran - Little Too Much [N]
29 Naked and Famous - Higher [33-29]
30 Cash Cash ft. ROZES - Matches [40-30]
31 Paramore - Hard Times [N]
32 Joey Bada$$ ft. Styles P - Super Predator [N]
33 Asgeir - Stardust [33-16-16-33]
34 Sigrid - Plot Twist [N]
35 Lana Del Rey ft. The Weeknd - Lust For Life [N]
36 JoJo ft. Remy Ma - FAB [N]
37 Kygo ft. Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me [34-19-37]
38 Virginia to Vegas - Selfish [38-31-38]
39 Kiiara ft. Felix Snow - Whippin [34-39]
40 SZA - Drew Barrymore [N]

#1s this year:
Fickle Friends – Brooklyn (2)
Dua Lipa – Be The One (3)
Ed Sheeran – Castle On the Hill (1)
Tal – Slow Down the Flow (1)
Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa – Scared To Be Lonely (2)
Katy Perry ft. Skip Marley – Chained To The Rhythm (2)
Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean + Migos – Slide (2)
Nicki Minaj ft. Drake + Lil Wayne – No Frauds (1)
Era Istrefi ft. Felix Snow – Redrum (2)
Chainsmokers ft. Jhené Aiko – Wake Up Alone (~)

Spotify Link to my weekly A-List playlist = {click here}

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: May 4 2017, 10:28 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
toffochews
post May 4 2017, 07:41 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 4,120
01 Chainsmokers ft. Jhené Aiko – Wake Up Alone
quite like this, is it the next single?

exact same position in my chart!

this is actually good and has been hovering in the 30s for me

this is just brill!

i must check this out!

the only track i really don't like on your chart , sorry

28 Emma Lauran - Little Too Much
quite like these

this starts off dodgy for me but gets better and is growing on me tho...

terrific chart!

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post May 4 2017, 10:19 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Not a lot of motion in the chart this week as a flood of 18 new entries affect basically everything about who stays and who goes. Notching up 7 weeks each following their re-entries, No More Sad Songs and Swalla jointly hold longest-runner this week. A lot of this week's new entries are affected by things outside of music; JoJo/Remy Ma is one I discovered literally following Remy and Nicki's feud, when looking for something Remy had done, the new Elina Born I saw in someone else's chart, and some of the other tracks I heard as background in youtube videos. Iggy in particular has been boosted by all the reaction videos to the song I've found myself watching. Damn catchy song! Still unsure if I like it or not.

New entries-wise, this will be splitting this week; 18 video links in a post would be a bit much! So here's part 1:

So when I looked up this I found I actually listened to it first last year, but subsequently forgot it. I'm glad it got a push in 2017 because I've really been enjoying it. Ina Wroldsen sounds great and it's good to see her getting a solo hit and her name out there, and Solveig's production is solid too.

Slightly older one here for Wild Belle. It was a big change in direction from their first album's sound when it released as the lead from their second, Dreamland, last year, and at the time I didn't like it at all. It's got an unusual structure, sounding a bit like two songs stitched together, but that's something I find less offputting since I've been listening to more K-Pop which follows a similar style. Charting now in 2017 for the first time it becomes the duo's fifth charting song from the album, following the title track, Our Love Will Survive, Rock & Roll Angel and Baby Come Back To Me.

This one's had mixed reception from what I've heard, but to me it's a very solid track. Less commercial than Final Song, sure, but that track always struck me more as a calculated exception to the kind of music M0 would be putting out than a statement on the direction she was going down. Although she's only had success internationally since Lean On in 2015, M0's been active since 2012 making alt-pop and indie tracks, and I've been a fan since those days, so it's more in line with what I expect from her. This is great and has a shade of Elliphant's music to it.

Another that's had a mixed reception is album track No More Tears on the Dancefloor, which gives Steps' comeback album its title. I'm not particularly a pure pop fan, or a Steps fan, but this track struck me right off as a strong pick for second single, although they seem to've gone for the ABBA cover Story of a Heart, which... I just don't see doing well outside of the pure-pop/Eurovision fan bubble. This one's a little campy and disco, which I would've thought they'd be chasing as other pop acts are tapping into it these days. This one actually just outpeaks Scared in the Dark for me.

Snatching a high peak, Systemagic becomes Goldfrapp's third charter from new album Silver Eye, following lead Anymore and grat Moon In Your Mouth. The album's more alternative and electronic than we've heard from Goldfrapp in about four eras, but this track's one of the more accessible-commercial shouts, tapping into the glam rock Alison was briefly known for. Benefiting from hovering just outside the top 40 last week, #17's probably as high as it's going to go.

Two Door follow-up Lavender with a second charter this era, a nice surprise for me from a band I never previously was that hot on. Although I know a bit of french from high school, I've not quite been able to parse the title - but I'm not sure we even hear it in the song, shrug. The indie boys falsetto to death in this track, which is much more upbeat than Lavender. It has a bit of the Kooks to it, too, really interesting sound.

I thought this one was never going to quite make it into the chart. Lucky Stars struck me as soon as Take That released their album, and nearly racked up enough plays that week to make it into the top 40. Not quite though. Or the next week. This week it finally makes it in though, a late surge giving it a high debut just inside the top 20. TT experimented a lot more on their latest album with new sounds and styles, and this one features some nice funk elements, a bit similar to the sound Busted recently embraced.

Second single from Little Dragon's latest, Season High, follows its predecessor into my top 40. Where High made it into the 30s, Sweet lands right into the 20s, just missing out on a top 20 debut. The album's a departure from what Little Dragon have done before, seeing them playing with a bit of dancehall and some more pure electronic, glitchy, almost retro videogame music sounds. Again, of the tracks out so far, this one's one of the more accessible, which has helped it get this far and rack up the plays on the mixed playlists I prefer.

Another that took a while to make its way into the chart. Emma Lauran's quite a newcomer compared to some of the established artists entering this week, this is the only solo single she's put out as yet, although a bit of research tells me she's featured before on some dance and electronic tracks by various producers. It's a pop song essentially, with a bit of future-bass-lite on the production, helping to separate it a bit from the pack of indiegirls doing similar things. Making it in this week, it's the fifth or sixth week I've been playing this track.

Part II to come; in the meantime, if you have comments or thoughts I legit like to hear them and chat back so go for it wink.gif smile.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post May 4 2017, 10:27 PM
Post #4
Group icon
QUOTE(toffonews @ May 4 2017, 08:41 AM) *
01 Chainsmokers ft. Jhené Aiko – Wake Up Alone
quite like this, is it the next single?

exact same position in my chart!

this is actually good and has been hovering in the 30s for me

this is just brill!

i must check this out!

the only track i really don't like on your chart , sorry

28 Emma Lauran - Little Too Much
quite like these

this starts off dodgy for me but gets better and is growing on me tho...

terrific chart!

Ty Toffo smile.gif I've linked Systemagic in now if you want to check it out for yourself wink.gif

I'm also mixed on the Paramore and on Mo Bounce, you're not alone. I don't think that one'll be going any higher than #25, I'm already torn on it doing that well as I dislike Iggy as a person D:

The Cure is fab, and as to Wake Up Alone...I think they'd be daft not to release it as a single, but you never know with record labels and the like nowadays...just look at the runs of singles Gaga's released in the past ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post May 6 2017, 11:33 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Hi Jupiter

Great to see The Cure so high! An amazing song, one of my favourites from her! biggrin.gif

Nice to see Rich Boy ascend to the Top 10 as well! A former Personal #1 of mine music.gif What do you think of 'Hunter'?

Great new entries from Solveig and Paramore as well! I've given Systemagic a listen as well, it's nice but I still prefer Anymore :9

Great chart biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post May 6 2017, 02:55 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Pt II:

Dua Lipa continues her good year and string of top tens with this one pairing her up with Miguel. It's a track I was torn on at first with its pounding, uptempo production, and still sounds a bit more like a grat than an actual single, but is a decent effort. Much better than the kind of thing she was putting out last year, to my ears anyway. This probably won't be a contender for #1 like Be The One and Scared to Be Lonely, but it's got a couple weeks in the bag for sure.

It's Eurovision season, and the return of ex-Eurovisioner Elina Born. Partnering with Stig Rasta, their 2015 track Goodbye To Yesterday was hotly tipped to do well in Eurovision right up until it was hampered by an early spot in the running order. It became one of my most successful songs on my personals though, right up there with the likes of Margaret Berger and the Common Linnets. Elina's In Or Out is a bit similar to that track and has a bit of a feel of Inna and that kind of Eastern European pop to it.

Charli XCX's resurgence continues with this track, her second charter from Number 1 Angel, featuring Uffie. It's a self-aware try at a pure pop song, one of the many genres XCX taps into on the mixtape which sees her pairing with a bunch of new collaborators. This one's all but guaranteed to rise next week and give her another top 20 - not bad for an artist I hated at first!

Sigrid's a new indiegirl on the up, one of the chosen ones for this year, it seems, who's going to get all the support and push as if she was the only one out there doing what she's doing. No shade though. Plot Twist for me is way better than her last track, Don't Kill My Vibe.

Lana, my most-played artist, and the Weeknd, a guy I've been a fan of since the mixtape days, pairing up and doing a song together sounds like a track made in heaven and right up my street. In practice though... it's just not quite. It's okay, but Lust For Life is very commercial and tame, going for the cinematic and lush instead of tapping into the darkness and storytelling that both artists are more than capable of, even straying from the R&B-trip-hop inspired production both are known for. I don't grudge either artist for making something more commercial to allow them to actually keep making more interesting music, but Lust For Life just doesn't do it for me. Would be a great movie theme though.

JoJo lands her first success on my personals here; 2016's F Apologies with Wiz Khalifa just missed the cutoff point for a couple of weeks last year. I reckon the title could've done with not being stylised 'Fab' as in fabulous, when it's actually an acronym for fake-ass bitches, which is something I'm much more into hearing JoJo and Remy Ma gurn about. Remy's not bad on the track and missing some of the vitriol that's been her MO lately, which honestly for me is a good thing - talk about drama.

So this was a promo track a wee while ago but somehow only hit one of those new music playlists recently, which is where I came across it. It's a welcome return for SZA, last seen alongside Rihanna on ANTI, and before that, back in 2014 on her last album. That was pretty strongly alt&b, the cuts so far from this one seem to be going down a more commercial, Kehlani-esque route, which is grand. I'm always here for more ladies doing some cool indie rap.

Chill, cool hip-hop is perfect for the summer, drives or walks out in the sun with just a wee bit of wind, and that's how I've been enjoying this one. I think it might be Bada$$'s solo debut, and it's the first appearance of Styles P I've seen since a guest slot with Azealia Banks back in her mixtape days. I find myself listening to a lot less rap nowadays so this is a rare exception.

I can't get over how different Hayley looks as a blonde. This comes at a good time, I'd been enjoying a Paramore resurgence this year anyway before they announced new music, helped by finding some old CDs when I was clearing out and moving house. Hard Times is definitely a different step for the band that released tracks like Misery Business and The Only Exception, but it's not totally unexpected - their 2013 self-titled effort was already chasing a pop crossover market, and MCR and Fall Out Boy before them have already trod the path of ex-emo-turned-altpop band. More than anything, this track reminds me of The Ting Tings' last two albums, with maybe a little of La Roux's sophomore effort too. I'm excited to see what they come back with next and on the album. One of the most exciting things for me as a music fan is seeing what direction your favouriote artists end up going down and how their music evolves and changes with the times, so when artists do swicth things up, for me that's only a good thing. Even if I end up hating it! Okay, tract over. What do y'all think?

Any comments, positive or disparaging, go for it. There's a lot to get your teeth into this week. Til next time wink.gif

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: May 6 2017, 02:57 PM

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post May 7 2017, 03:25 AM
Post #7
Group icon
QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ May 6 2017, 12:33 PM) *
Hi Jupiter

Great to see The Cure so high! An amazing song, one of my favourites from her! biggrin.gif

Nice to see Rich Boy ascend to the Top 10 as well! A former Personal #1 of mine music.gif What do you think of 'Hunter'?

Great new entries from Solveig and Paramore as well! I've given Systemagic a listen as well, it's nice but I still prefer Anymore :9

Great chart biggrin.gif

What do I think of Hunter? ehhh... I'm not sold on it so far. But Rich Boy took a while to hit me too, so who knows!

Yeah I am torn on the new Goldfrapp stuff, it's very firmly back into the alternative/electronic stuff they've not done since like 2003 or so. Still 3 charters from an album I'm mixed on is not bad going!

That Solveig track is something else, can't believe it only managed outside 20s in the official charts ohmy.gif

Ty for commenting!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:55 AM