BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Madame X ● THE RATE RESULTS, 1 year on
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post 14th September 2020, 07:22 PM
Post #41
Group icon
User: 13,007

07. Dark Ballet ~ 7.54

The storm isn't in the air, it's inside of us

Released as the album's 2nd promotional single, 'Dark Ballet' sampes The Nutcracker and is inspired by Joan of Arc. Described as an experimental pop and electro-gospel piano ballad, it tells of Madonna's battle against the patriarcy, a theme that she has covered in the past. But here, it is one of her most unique sounding songs, with the intense vocoder, strange lyrical content and witch-like production. The music video for the song features rapper Mykki Blanco playing the role of a transgender Joan of Arc. Madonna performed the song at the 2018 Met Gala and a fragment of the song was included in the 2019 Eurovision performance.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 14th September 2020, 07:57 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Dark Ballet is such a missed opportunity for me. There's bits of it I love, namely everything up until the nutcracker kicks in, I know it's part of the ballet theme but I just think another ballet track could have worked so much better even if it wouldn't have been so well known.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 16th September 2020, 10:22 AM
Post #43
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

I feel like Dark Ballet should have been considerably longer, it feels like it’s only getting going and then BAM it’s over. I’m disappointed it’s so low, but I appreciate it probably is a little divisive given the unconventional structure.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 16th September 2020, 10:26 AM
Post #44
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

I would also welcome it being longer. I'm all for songs with unconventional structures to them but the nutcracker is just too childish sounding for the rest of the song, it's like a weird children's nursery rhyme in sound. Plus it will always remind me of the fruit and nut commercial so that's not great either.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 16th September 2020, 06:04 PM
Post #45
Group icon

06. Come Alive ~ 7.61

I'm in the sky where I ought to be at

Featuring vocals from the Tiffin Children's Chorus, 'Come Alive' is inspired from her trip to Marrakesh where she celebrated her 60th birthday. She immersed herself in the Gnawa music and became attached to the ancestral music full of symbols and history. When talking about the history and background of the song she stated: “There is an interesting story, the shackles that the slaves wore so that they couldn’t escape. Once they were free, they turned what enslaved them into music... I wanted to bring that instrument back into the story.”

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 16th September 2020, 06:05 PM
Post #46
Group icon

I am actually baffled that this has come as high as it has. I see it as quite a filler track, despite the great up-lifting message it conveys. I can't really get into it too much musically and it's far from a highlight for me. Glad others seem to favour it moreso though, but it's not my favourite by any means!

+Quote this post
vibe
post 16th September 2020, 06:48 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Come Alive on the tour made me love this song more .

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 17th September 2020, 05:17 PM
Post #48
Group icon

05. Faz Gostoso ~ 7.75

Show me how you move your body

In June 2018, Anitta performed at Rock in Rio Lisboa and sang "Faz Gostoso" in her show. In November of that year, she met Madonna and recorded together a track for the album. After speculation that it was a cover of "Faz Gostoso", it was confirmed as the tracklist dropped. Sung in Portuguese and English it's an explosive, party anthem.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 17th September 2020, 05:23 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

How wasn’t it a single !!!!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 20th September 2020, 07:17 PM
Post #50
Group icon

04. Crave ~ 8.27

I'm tired of being far away from home

Released as the album's second single, and featuring Swae Lee, 'Crave' is a pop, trap, hip-hop ballad about craving someone that is growing further and further away. One of the first songs written for the album, it is a breezy and tentative song with Madonna's vocals at some of her most airy and breathy while Swae's verse slots in perfectly as an accompaniment to her longing. The music video shows the pair singing the song ont he rooftops of New York City after Madame X writes a love note that is sent to Swae.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 20th September 2020, 07:19 PM
Post #51
Group icon

For me, this should have been #1! It is my favourite song from the era and ranks high in terms of my overall Madonna songs. It just does things to me and makes me feel some type of way whenever I hear it. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 20th September 2020, 07:24 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

Crave is far too high for me. It doesn’t really fit the Madame X theme it’s more Rebel Heart and I just wasn’t ever that sold on it. Like the concept of the track is more like the romantic side of Rebel Heart if that makes sense. Not one I go back to much on its own.

Come Alive is stunning and deserves to be as high as it was there. I also love Dark Ballet!

Looking for Mercy is a cute moment too.

Faz Gostoso another one I’m not too keen on!

My ranking for this era is very different to BuzzJack’s!

+Quote this post
Qween
post 21st September 2020, 10:51 AM
Post #53
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

Come Alive features my least favourite vocal on the album, Siri sounds more human and emotive, but it's got a decent melody and probably got so high on account of being one of the most straightforward songs on the album, but wither way, the outro is gorgeous.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 21st September 2020, 12:34 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

The outro to Come Alive is so effective. Simple but I love it one of my favourite moments on the album wub.gif

+Quote this post
vibe
post 21st September 2020, 05:19 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Crave is stunning !!!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 21st September 2020, 06:47 PM
Post #56
Group icon

03. Medellín with Maluma ~ 8.71

Sipping my pain just like champagne

In third place, it is the album's lead single. The song is named after the city in Colombia, in which Maluma was born, and is a Latin pop track with elements of reggaeton and dance-pop. In the song, Madonna reflects on past struggles while dreaming about a trip to Medellín and is remiscent of other songs by her, such as La Isla Bonita where she similarly dreams of being in a far away paradise. The music video is incredibly saucy and sexy and concludes with a Latin feast with toes for dessert. An altogether summer banger, scorching chemistry between the two artists and a joyous celebration that kick-started the era.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 21st September 2020, 07:47 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

My fav off the album !! It just needed a single edit as it takes too long to get going !!!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 22nd September 2020, 04:59 PM
Post #58
Group icon

I still find Medellín to be a great song and the video is amazing. I love the chemistry between Madonna and Maluma and how much fun the song is as a whole. A great lead single!

+Quote this post
Qween
post 22nd September 2020, 06:12 PM
Post #59
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

It’s certainly her best lead single since Hung Up. I like that it sounds quite distinctive (which has been missing from her sound for a long time), but I do find her a smidge superfluous to the best parts of the song.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 23rd September 2020, 01:44 AM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

I'd say 'Dark Ballet' is just the right length, I think it gets everything done that it needs to and I think I'd start getting bored if it was any longer. I've always thought the nutcracker section is meant to be childish and creepy too so it's never bothered me like it has many others, as it does Dandy.

'Come Alive' is a fave - I like how you think it's going one way with that rattling rhythm at the start, then this lovely string melody eases through and the two play alongside each other. Then, of course, there's the choir outro. Not sure if it's just because they both feature choirs but I'd be interested in hearing 'Like a Prayer' incorporate somewhere in this.

I'll never understand why 'Faz Gostoso' wasn't a single. Perhaps not in the UK but certainly in the Latin countries where it was experiencing some streaming success - it's something that Madonna and her team must have been crying out for and here was an example of it happening organically right in the palm of their hands! It's fun lively song, I could picture a vibrant video had they had enough in the budget for one!

From one bad decision to another, why wasn't 'Crave' sent to UK radio? drama.gif It's a very contemporary song, slightly Ariana-esque, but it just works so well. So much warmth in this song.

'Medellin' was the perfect lead for Madame X. I was very intrigued by it on first listen but it took a few to get used to it - definitely made a nice change to hear something so unexpected from Madonna and that took time to reveal itself.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 06:17 PM