BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chart Battle Replay: S Club 7 vs. Madonna, 20 years on
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
S Club 7 vs. Madonna
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 77
Guests cannot vote 
gavindeejay
post Jun 13 2019, 05:02 PM
Post #21
Why do today, what you can do tomorrow?
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,645
   No Gallery Pics

Madonna for me. Loved the charts back then. Was so fresh and had a great variety of tracks in!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jun 13 2019, 05:36 PM
Post #22
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

Oooh...if this had been anybody else I'd have been saying Madge cause I did love 'Beautiful Stranger'...but 10 year old me has to say S Club 7 still take this one. 'Bring It All Back' was their first number one, a great, catchy sing along summery pop single with a nice positive message that's still good today, and I think people forget how huge Miami 7 was at the time and how pivotal it was in launching them, perhaps more so than any radio airplay that obviously Madonna had the advantage of as highlighted above.

It was the highest rated kid's show on UK TV just a few weeks after it started airing on CBBC and with good reason, for the time it was really fun and fresh and had good humour, and there wasn't any other act around like them at the time. They managed everything that North and South didn't with 'No Sweat' two years previously, and did that whole Monkees thing but with a new millennium vibe.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jun 13 2019, 05:39 PM
Post #23
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

No Sweat was iconic tho *.*

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jun 13 2019, 05:57 PM
Post #24
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(T Boy @ Jun 13 2019, 06:39 PM) *
No Sweat was iconic tho *.*

Oh it was, wasn't it? The first four episodes are up on YouTube still. Harriet Thorpe - who was in Ab Fab and Brittas Empire - played James (the green haired one's) mum in it and was hilarious. She's such a brilliant comic actress. Actually North and South and S Club shared a producer in common because all their stuff was written and produce by Rose & Foster, who subsequently went onto do 'You're My Number One' on S Club's first album.

+Quote Post
fiesta
post Jun 13 2019, 06:15 PM
Post #25
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 232
   No Gallery Pics

Bought the single so voted Madonna

+Quote Post
Lomadz
post Jun 13 2019, 06:17 PM
Post #26
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 23,274
   No Gallery Pics

S Club easily, wasnt keen on that Madge song.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jun 13 2019, 06:18 PM
Post #27
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

S Club for sure, Bring It All Back is an exceptional track wub.gif

+Quote Post
fiesta
post Jun 13 2019, 06:32 PM
Post #28
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 232
   No Gallery Pics

Blimey, this vote is even more split than the Tory party on brexit!

This post has been edited by fiesta: Jun 13 2019, 06:34 PM

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jun 14 2019, 01:43 PM
Post #29
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Jun 13 2019, 06:36 PM) *
Oooh...if this had been anybody else I'd have been saying Madge cause I did love 'Beautiful Stranger'...but 10 year old me has to say S Club 7 still take this one. 'Bring It All Back' was their first number one, a great, catchy sing along summery pop single with a nice positive message that's still good today, and I think people forget how huge Miami 7 was at the time and how pivotal it was in launching them, perhaps more so than any radio airplay that obviously Madonna had the advantage of as highlighted above.

It was the highest rated kid's show on UK TV just a few weeks after it started airing on CBBC and with good reason, for the time it was really fun and fresh and had good humour, and there wasn't any other act around like them at the time. They managed everything that North and South didn't with 'No Sweat' two years previously, and did that whole Monkees thing but with a new millennium vibe.

You're right - Music Week reported at the time: "S Club 7 have had very little airplay for their single but boast a fan club of more than 100,000 members and a TV show (Miami 7) with a regular audience of 4m"

Despite being replaced at the top the following week, it remained above 100k, shifting 119k copies, whilst Madonna sold about 80k.

Even after going to #1, its airplay was low, spending only 4 weeks on the airplay chart: 40-20-28-42. In that time, Madonna moved 5-3-1-1

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Jun 14 2019, 01:58 PM
Post #30
Hello?
Member No.: 116
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Medellíam @ Jun 13 2019, 04:49 PM) *
Does anyone remember the chart battle at the time? Who was favourite to be #1 before the chart week? I had a look at the airplay charts and Madonna was #8 the week before and S Club 7 weren't in the Top 50.

From those new entries, I think I've only heard 'All or Nothing' which is fab; very overlooked by 'Believe' and 'Strong Enough' but it's another dance banger.

From what I can recall about the time, I don't think there was ever any doubt over S Club 7 debuting at No.1.

Despite Beautiful Stranger coming off the back of a huge era in Ray Of Light, being a great song, and having huge airplay, S Club 7 were everywhere (except radio) at the time. On Miami 7, all the music and kids' shows, in every magazine. They more than made up elsewhere for what they didn't have in airplay.

I'm sure Madonna would have been a lock-in for No.2 but I don't think it was ever really talked up as a chart battle, as Bring It All Back felt like a foregone conclusion (maybe just to me laugh.gif), in fact her first week sale was pretty impressive looking back.

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Jun 14 2019, 02:23 PM
Post #31
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

I don't recall this being a chart battle either, but a 100% certainty that S Club 7 were gonna be #1

back then, itunes pre-orders showed up in the pre-release weeks so we knew who was gonna do great, who wasn't...

+Quote Post
danG
post Jun 14 2019, 02:29 PM
Post #32
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bjork @ Jun 14 2019, 03:23 PM) *
I don't recall this being a chart battle either, but a 100% certainty that S Club 7 were gonna be #1

back then, itunes pre-orders showed up in the pre-release weeks so we knew who was gonna do great, who wasn't...

what does this chart battle have to do with iTunes? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Jun 14 2019, 02:35 PM
Post #33
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

ok got confused there biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Jun 14 2019, 02:37 PM
Post #34
Hello?
Member No.: 116
   No Gallery Pics

The charts were generally quite easy to predict back then, though not because of iTunes, as it was five years from existence at this point!

Growing hype and buzz was pretty easy to identify from the 4-6 week build-up something was given on TV, radio, magazines etc.

Still, you couldn't force onto the public something they didn't want. Numerous songs that were predicted by Woolies to go to No.1 (which was usually on the money with its chart) fell by the wayside. Some examples that spring to mind are Whitney Houston and George Michael's If I Told You That (which somehow ended up at No.9) and Tommi's Like What in 2003 (which ended up at No.12). See also, Girl Thing's Last One Standing (charted at No.8) and Best Friends by allSTARS*, which smashed at No.20.

I'm sure there are countless other over-predictions, where the hype wasn't always right, and in the case of some singles maybe a bit of payola was happening, though I have nothing to verify if record labels did pay Woolies to put their singles higher in their charts.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Jun 14 2019, 02:45 PM
Post #35
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

Bring It All Back.

+Quote Post
stevejb4u
post Jun 14 2019, 03:48 PM
Post #36
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 9,643
   No Gallery Pics

Madonna definitely..... Although I like Sclub as its catchy its nothing to Reach For The Stars

Sales for a number 2 were enough to be no1but she holds the record for most number 2s STILL!!!!
👠 👠 Cha cha cha 😂

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jun 14 2019, 05:40 PM
Post #37
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Jun 14 2019, 03:37 PM) *
The charts were generally quite easy to predict back then, though not because of iTunes, as it was five years from existence at this point!

Growing hype and buzz was pretty easy to identify from the 4-6 week build-up something was given on TV, radio, magazines etc.

Still, you couldn't force onto the public something they didn't want. Numerous songs that were predicted by Woolies to go to No.1 (which was usually on the money with its chart) fell by the wayside. Some examples that spring to mind are Whitney Houston and George Michael's If I Told You That (which somehow ended up at No.9) and Tommi's Like What in 2003 (which ended up at No.12). See also, Girl Thing's Last One Standing (charted at No.8) and Best Friends by allSTARS*, which smashed at No.20.

I'm sure there are countless other over-predictions, where the hype wasn't always right, and in the case of some singles maybe a bit of payola was happening, though I have nothing to verify if record labels did pay Woolies to put their singles higher in their charts.

Wasn’t Whole Again by Atomic Kitten a massive under prediction from woolies?

+Quote Post
Jester
post Jun 14 2019, 05:48 PM
Post #38
Right in front of my salad?!
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12

QUOTE(T Boy @ Jun 14 2019, 06:40 PM) *
Wasn’t Whole Again by Atomic Kitten a massive under prediction from woolies?

A few more from memory: I’ll Be Missing You was predicated 6, Spinning Around And Mi Chico Latino both predicted at 4.. Woolies did generally do well though.

+Quote Post
Lyle
post Jun 14 2019, 06:01 PM
Post #39
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 11,686

Has to be Bring it all Back although I quite like both

+Quote Post
Brer
post Jun 14 2019, 11:19 PM
Post #40
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

'Bring It All Back' is a bit of a guilty pleasures like a lot of S Club songs (although 'Don't Stop Movin'' is just a genuinely great song with no guilt xx) but I voted for Madonna as that's one of her best songs, I'm surprised at S Club 7 actually winning this poll!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:13 PM