BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Who should be banned from entering the country?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brett-Butler
post 19th November 2014, 06:17 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

"Pickup artist" Julien Blanc now finds himself in the illustrious company of Geert Wilders and the Westboro Baptists by being denied a visa to enter the UK. From BBC News:

Controversial US "pick-up artist" Julien Blanc has been barred from entering the UK by the Home Office.

The self-styled "dating guru" holds seminars claiming to teach men how to attract women but his methods have been widely criticised as sexually abusive.

A petition to deny him a visa attracted more than 150,000 signatures ahead of his UK tour, due to start in February.

Crime prevention minister Lynne Featherstone said she was "delighted Mr Blanc won't be coming to our shores".

In one recorded seminar, Mr Blanc is seen approaching girls and forcing their heads towards his crotch.

In the same video, he advises people on 'picking up' in Japan. "At least in Tokyo, if you're a white male, you can do what you want," he says.

"I'm romping through the street just grabbing girls. It's awesome."

Lib Dem MP Ms Featherstone said last week she was "extremely concerned" by the "sexist and utterly abhorrent statements" Mr Blanc had made about women.

"If he was allowed to perform in the UK I have no doubt that cases of sexual harassment and intimidation would increase," she said.

Now I must say that I am not familiar with the activities of Mr Blanc, but from what I can gather he appears to be rather ungentlemanly to say the least, and that no-one should ever pay money to see him ever. But was the UK right to deny him entry to the country? Is there now not the possibility that he will be regarded as a 'martyr' by his followers? And where should the line be drawn in terms of allowing someone entry into the UK?

I fully expect to hear someone from UKIP coming out and decrying the decision to bar him entry. Then we can all comment on the colour of tea-making devices.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 19th November 2014, 06:19 PM
Post #2
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480

I don't have an issue with people who preach hatred being barred entry into the country. I don't see any real difference between that and barring entry to people who basically advocate rape, so I'm pleased with this.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 19th November 2014, 06:26 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

From what I have read this character is a pretty unpleasant person. However, I'm not convinced that he should be banned from entering this country. Surely it would be better for him to face an audience of people who might challenge some of his views. Of course he can still appear via video link which makes the ban rather pointless.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 19th November 2014, 10:50 PM
Post #4
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Is he advocating rape though? The guy is clearly a moron but that is not a reason to ban someone from entering the UK.

I mean look at Dapper Laughs - the public celebrated his No.15 single earlier this year with "Proper Moist" and he is a complete and utter TOOL.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 19th November 2014, 11:07 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Nov 19 2014, 10:50 PM) *
Is he advocating rape though? The guy is clearly a moron but that is not a reason to ban someone from entering the UK.

OTOH, if we can use that as an excuse to prevent Cameron re-entering the country from his next trip / holiday, perhaps it's worth thinking about.

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 19th November 2014, 11:14 PM
Post #6
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
User: 2,790

pav

+Quote this post
Silas
post 20th November 2014, 10:35 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

I believe this particular tool has been banned from other countries too. He is unwelcome in Japan, there is talk of Brazil barring him and Australia physically threw him out after they rescinded his visa while he was onshore.

+Quote this post
152chris
post 24th November 2014, 10:23 PM
Post #8
Group icon
down with jakewild
User: 10,105

QUOTE(Silas @ Nov 20 2014, 10:35 AM) *
I believe this particular tool has been banned from other countries too. He is unwelcome in Japan, there is talk of Brazil barring him and Australia physically threw him out after they rescinded his visa while he was onshore.

lol defo thought you were actually talking about pav

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 24th November 2014, 10:34 PM
Post #9
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

He was.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 27th November 2014, 07:34 AM
Post #10
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

how did silas find out

i'm gonna fire all of my PR staff

+Quote this post
lotita
post 3rd January 2016, 08:30 PM
Post #11
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777

http://www.wthr.com/story/30870997/uk-gove...an-donald-trump

+Quote this post
HelenSpark
post 19th January 2016, 09:53 PM
Post #12
Group icon
New Entry
User: 22,883

you can be banned because of breaking the law of the country that you visit and so on

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 09:53 PM