BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trends in movies that need to stop!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post Jul 14 2017, 08:38 AM
Post #1
c:
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,692

So following on from the thread in the Lounge, what are some trends in movies that really just need to stop.

My main new annoyance is this new mini trailer before the actual trailer thing (see the Darkest Hour trailer for this if you don't know what I mean but it's in most trailers now). I get that it makes sense because people skip the ad on YouTube if it doesn't interest them in the first five seconds but it just annoys me.

Other annoying trends are female characters only existing to be saves by the male character and all they do is pretty much shout for help all the time (see, the new Mummy film) and also Johnny Depp being cast in loads of franchises/films still and over-acting in ALL of them - just chill out pls... laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Jul 14 2017, 08:51 AM
Post #2
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

Run times over two hours. Superhero movies seem to be major offenders of this. Please stop, you always feel like you drag at some point.

QUOTE(Mrs. Potts @ Jul 14 2017, 09:38 AM) *
Other annoying trends are female characters only existing to be saves by the male character and all they do is pretty much shout for help all the time (see, the new Mummy film)

I didn't know until the other day that there was an actual thing for stuff like this. I'll be paying more attention to the Bechdel test in future!

+Quote Post
Regina
post Jul 14 2017, 10:28 AM
Post #3
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

Jennifer Lawrence getting hired.

Kate Mara getting hired.

Remakes of movies that do not need remaking.

Characters from remakes/comics/books having their skin colour or gender or name changed in the movie version.

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Jul 14 2017, 10:44 AM
Post #4
my anxiety attacks
Member No.: 8,674

QUOTE(Shaphne @ Jul 14 2017, 11:28 AM) *
Remakes of movies that do not need remaking.

Add in unnecessary sequels. Hello "Now You See Me 2"

+Quote Post
Qween
post Jul 14 2017, 10:46 AM
Post #5
Schlagerdrottningen
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

Totally agreed on overlong run times. It's so refreshing and unexpected now to go into a movie that's 90/100 minutes long. Some 2 hour + movies it works for, but in general I've found movie pacing of late to be more miss than hit, which makes sitting through the 2 hours even MORE challenging. I use the metric that if I check my watch at any point during the movie, it's badly paced and too long.

Another major peeve of mine is LACK OF STORY. It's not really that new an issue, but it's certainly become all the more prevalent as most wide releases are becoming more franchise oriented and everything is vying to be a blockbuster, but we get far too many movies where they spend about 80% of the time on the visuals and almost no time on story. Obviously Transformers is probably the most obvious example of this, but it's creeping into a lot of movies now. It sort of feeds into the running time thing too. Perhaps it's people wanting to feel like they get value for money so pointless scenes of CGI nonsense lasting far too long seem to be getting tacked in here, there and everywhere to pad out movies or cover up the fact that there's absolutely nothing going on. Guardians 2 is an excellent example of this. Very little story and about 45 minutes of CGI w*n**ry.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jul 14 2017, 10:01 PM
Post #6
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

My main new annoyance is this new mini trailer before the actual trailer thing (see the Darkest Hour trailer for this if you don't know what I mean but it's in most trailers now). I get that it makes sense because people skip the ad on YouTube if it doesn't interest them in the first five seconds but it just annoys me.

Are those "trailer" trailers? One short trailer saying "See the next trailer in April 5th" that was mentioned on a ScreenJunkies Screenies video back in early 2015

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jul 14 2017, 10:16 PM
Post #7
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

So following on from the thread in the Lounge, what are some trends in movies that really just need to stop.

I had no idea that was the reason why! ohmy.gif I just assumed it was just an annoyance!

I really, REALLY hate it! Irritates me more than it should tbh. I also hate "teaser trailers"... ESPECIALLY if the trailer is coming the next few days after it... I just don't get why they just don't debut the trailer?! A trailer IS a teaser, no? laugh.gif

Horror movies that get hyped to f*** for being "unique" and "quirky"... just because they're those things, doesn't mean they're any good! laugh.gif They're more often than not (especially in that genre) self-indulgent nonsense and nothing happens... Guess what I saw the other day and hated! haha

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Jul 14 2017, 10:23 PM
Post #8
c:
Member No.: 20,692

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jul 14 2017, 11:16 PM) *
I had no idea that was the reason why! ohmy.gif I just assumed it was just an annoyance!

I really, REALLY hate it! Irritates me more than it should tbh. I also hate "teaser trailers"... ESPECIALLY if the trailer is coming the next few days after it... I just don't get why they just don't debut the trailer?! A trailer IS a teaser, no? laugh.gif

Horror movies that get hyped to f*** for being "unique" and "quirky"... just because they're those things, doesn't mean they're any good! laugh.gif They're more often than not (especially in that genre) self-indulgent nonsense and nothing happens... Guess what I saw the other day and hated! haha

It Comes At Night by any chance?!? laugh.gif I still want to see it but just don't think I'm going to be able to find the time sad.gif

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jul 14 2017, 10:32 PM
Post #9

Haha yeah! sad.gif

So, so disappointed. I keep meaning to post my thoughts in the thread!

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Jul 14 2017, 11:40 PM
Post #10
❤️❤️➕🟦
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Building a cinematic universe for anything and everything. Just because Marvel managed to get it right doesn't mean we need it for TRANSFORMERS.

Also, the usual sequels/reboots and everyone trying to cash in (again) on Marvel's superhero success.

There's also too much focus on massive budget blockbusters from studios I feel which has just resulted in a complete saturation where a large number of movies are underperforming. I would love to see more low-mid range budget films being pushed where story is at the heart.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Jul 15 2017, 12:07 AM
Post #11
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

It never will stop, but I do wish sequels and reboots would be done with a genuine new vision rather than just to milk it for all it's worth, particularly kids movies as the exploitation is so obvious. Who the hell actually wants to see a third Cars movie or a sixth Ice Age movie?! You'd think the likes of Pixar especially wouldn't need to resort to this...:/

Also, post credits scenes (Marvel movies, to give them credit, are generally good well made movies as much as they are cash cows so justify the saturation, but Gosh how I hate these) and so many bloody logos before the movie.

I do wish the choice of trailers you see in a cinema before movies would be a bit less predictable and show some genuine surprises, but I suppose that's different for each person.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Jul 15 2017, 12:07 AM

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Jul 15 2017, 12:16 AM
Post #12
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
Group: Memberrs
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

I don't watch new films much but I have to say a trend that needs to stop is post credits scenes. Really annoying having to sit through the credits to see them and they are not all in one but staggered at various points in the credits.

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jul 15 2017, 01:06 AM
Post #13
It's a cruel summer.
Member No.: 20,947

I'll comment more later but a general cinema going thing is that thing at VUE cinemas where they have that 5 minutes of crap between the film trailers and the film starting with that big screen entertainment advert, that voiceover thing and another pointless thing. So irritating!

+Quote Post
JackTheeStallion
post Jul 15 2017, 10:41 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

There not being ANY horror films. No slashers either when there are horror films, I'm bored of ghost/devil bullshit.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 15 2017, 12:17 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

films based on games.

films based on kids toys.

films based on driving fast.

scenes where human beings run through glass windows. This is a godawful impossible cliche. Superman can do it. A few other super-heroes can do it. All others get ripped to shreds, or just fail, or drop massive shards of glass on passers by.

+Quote Post
Severin
post Jul 15 2017, 03:44 PM
Post #16
Mansonette
Member No.: 9,872
   No Gallery Pics

Allowing Michael Bay anywhere near a film is a trend that needs to be outlawed immediately

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jul 15 2017, 05:22 PM
Post #17

And Zack Snyder!

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Jul 16 2017, 10:19 PM
Post #18
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Unnecessary sex scenes between two people.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:59 PM