BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Never Give Up on the Good Times - Appreciation Thread, The Smash Hit That Never Was
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
dancinqueen
post Jul 13 2021, 07:16 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 95,682
   No Gallery Pics

This song is perfection. This song is quality. Each of the girls shines. But if I’m not wrong it was never performed as a 5some!

Best song on Spice World, IMHO.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
schizo_spice
post Jul 13 2021, 07:28 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,574
   No Gallery Pics

They performed it as a fivesome for the entire European leg of the 1998 tour up until Geri’s last gig in Helsinki.

Fantastic song so energetic in the same way as Spice Up Your Life.

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Jul 13 2021, 07:40 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

It TOTALLY should have been a single.

Imagine them releasing it at the end of the tour with Vic singing Geri's lines like on tour, with a tour montage video!! It would have been the perfect closure for the era, and another #1 A missed opportunity.

Personally, I think the song is amazing, super fun and always makes me feel good. The lyrics and production are pretty excellent too! The extended version is even better and should have worked so well on tour, I hate that they keep shortening it!!

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jul 13 2021, 07:48 PM
Post #4
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Definitely the hit that got away! Their best album track imo. After all the rumours of a Viva Forever/Never Give Up on the Good Times Double A Side I was so disappointed when it didn't come true.

It was a highlight moment on tour in 2019 heart.gif

+Quote Post
Chemistry
post Jul 13 2021, 07:51 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 106,588
   No Gallery Pics

I'm always here for the NGUOTGT love <3 Certainly their best album track and should have been a single indeed.

+Quote Post
Sideout
post Jul 13 2021, 09:57 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 113,700
   No Gallery Pics

One of my favorites. I need that unreleased Morales remix. If the rumors are true it exists.

+Quote Post
Equinox8
post Jul 13 2021, 11:42 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 132,865
   No Gallery Pics

This song is the Spiceworld equivalent of Who Do You Think You Are. It's dripping in disco chords -- I love it!

+Quote Post
Piers
post Jul 14 2021, 07:00 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 69,521
   No Gallery Pics

I adore this song...and it was honestly the one-two punch of NGUOTGT and Viva Forever on Spiceworld that elevated me from "fan" to "lifelong devotee." These two songs were just next level from what pop groups were doing in the 90s.

Now. Here's a controversial take. I would have preferred the Spice fairies in a video for NGUOTGT. I'm glad there are so many fans who like the Viva Forever video. But for me, it's probably their only single where I don't immediately think of the video when the song is mentioned. There's just a disconnect for me. I'm fully aware that the video doesn't need to be a literal translation of the song. But the contrast of a deeply romantic song...put against a video that's essentially about puberty...sorry...it's weird for me. Tag to that, even though this isn't the intent, I've never quite shaken the appearance of the Spice fairies seemingly luring a kid into a box for some murky fate.

I like the Spice fairies in general. They're designed well...their personalities are conveyed well...and I like the animation of them. But...I think the weird fit with Viva Forever is why they didn't really stick in the public's minds in the way some of their other videos did. The single cover certainly doesn't convey the feeling of the song. You know what song that cover would match? NGUOTGT.

I think I just would have preferred them in an upbeat NGUOTGT video where they're flying around...visiting people in live action scenarios, brightening up their gloominess and what-not. It'd allow them to be more fun...be more funny.

Controversial opinion over.

+Quote Post
dancinqueen
post Jul 14 2021, 07:42 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 95,682
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Piers @ Jul 14 2021, 07:00 AM) *
I adore this song...and it was honestly the one-two punch of NGUOTGT and Viva Forever on Spiceworld that elevated me from "fan" to "lifelong devotee." These two songs were just next level from what pop groups were doing in the 90s.

Now. Here's a controversial take. I would have preferred the Spice fairies in a video for NGUOTGT. I'm glad there are so many fans who like the Viva Forever video. But for me, it's probably their only single where I don't immediately think of the video when the song is mentioned. There's just a disconnect for me. I'm fully aware that the video doesn't need to be a literal translation of the song. But the contrast of a deeply romantic song...put against a video that's essentially about puberty...sorry...it's weird for me. Tag to that, even though this isn't the intent, I've never quite shaken the appearance of the Spice fairies seemingly luring a kid into a box for some murky fate.

I like the Spice fairies in general. They're designed well...their personalities are conveyed well...and I like the animation of them. But...I think the weird fit with Viva Forever is why they didn't really stick in the public's minds in the way some of their other videos did. The single cover certainly doesn't convey the feeling of the song. You know what song that cover would match? NGUOTGT.

I think I just would have preferred them in an upbeat NGUOTGT video where they're flying around...visiting people in live action scenarios, brightening up their gloominess and what-not. It'd allow them to be more fun...be more funny.

That would have been amazing! Or a sister video to Viva Forever where only four of them appear showing life after Geri, dancing, singing and bothering people around the world 😂

I loved the 2019 live (and the fact they didn’t change it) but I missed Vicky B a bit.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Jul 14 2021, 10:00 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

It has been a highlight on every tour.

The double A Side with Viva Forever would have been so damn good !!!

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Jul 14 2021, 11:04 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Piers @ Jul 14 2021, 08:00 AM) *

Ahaha Im not sure it is a controversial opinion, as many in the fandom dont particularly like the video. Personally, it is my favourite and i think it really compliments the almost-nostalgic, end of summer/blending into the autumn type of feel of that song. It's a perfect combination, in my opinion, and actually with Geri's departure even more poignant.

I didnt see the fairies taking the kind into a box as problematic at all. It's a metaphore to growing out of your childhood and into being an adolescent, aided by the girls themselves. It's super cute in my opinion.

Personally, I like videos that have a certain poetry and mistery to itm and this one does it so well!

What was needed was NGUOTGT to also be released as a single and with a video complimenting the Viva Forever one, for sure!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:24 AM