BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter 2018: Week #5, up off of the sidelines // + links + writeup
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 5th February 2018, 02:11 AM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

A slightly unexpected ascension to the top this week as Simian Ghost rise from #5 to #1 this week with Eat the Rich, a deliciously 80s-esque indie pop bop that would fit nicely into an 80s movie or as an old tv show theme. Rita and Liam's For You, poised to rise last week, this week falls away a little. Paloma Faith and Troye Sivan also led at various points last week but ultimately ended the week at #2 and #3 respectively, still substantial rises from last week and respectively their highest peaking solo tracks now since I started recording charts in 2014. Troye has one higher though - last year's chart topping There For You with Martin Garrix. Pink's Secrets also enters the top 5 this week, giving her a nice run of her most recent singles now peaking at #1, #2, #3 and #4 respectively. Cute. MGMT's When You Die completes this week's top 5, continuing what's proved to be a slow burning ascent from what appeared at first like it was going to be only a minor hit.

Brand new entries are a little thin on the ground at the top end of the chart this week, with the highest this time round going to smooth lounge from Carmody. Like That becomes her third solo charter, landing neatly between the peaks of her previous two, a top ten and top thirty respectively. Other new entries this week come from Fall Out Boy, Joseph & Maia, Ariel Beesley, Kimbra, Maroon 5, St Albion and Max Frost, Jessie Ware, Tritonal, Everything Everything, Banks and Embrace. There's also two quite belated new entries from tunes that only hit me recently, one from AronChupa and another from George Maple.

New entries will be linked a bit later on in the week to save you hunting for them, so check back to see those, and feel free to peek at my (linked) weekly playlists in the meantime.

And with all that out of the way, here's this first week of February's top 40 list:

01 Simian Ghost - Eat the Rich [15-5-1]
02 Paloma Faith - Kings and Queens [28-9-2]
03 Troye Sivan - My My My [13-8-3]
04 Pink - Secrets [12-4]
05 MGMT - When You Die [39-37-37-7-7-5]
06 Hunter and Tara - Believe Me [10-6]
07 Femme En Fourrure ft. Pykari - Ride [34-3-1-1-7]
08 Ryan Riback ft. Iselin - Do You Care [25-8]
09 Taylor Swift ft. Future + Ed Sheeran - End Game [33-15-9]
10 Justin Timberlake - Supplies [30-10]
11 Liam Payne & Rita Ora - For You (Fifty Shades Freed) [5-4-11]
12 Odesza ft. Leon Bridges - Across the Room [38-X7-40-16-12]
13 Grey ft. Skott - Crime (Acoustic) [6-4-2-13]
14 Amanda Delara - We Don't Run From Anyone [33-14]
15 A$AP Ferg ft. Nicki Minaj - Plain Jane Remix [21-8-11-15]
16 Carmody - Like That [N]
17 Eminem ft. Ed Sheeran - River [14-1-2-3-17]
18 Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie - Lay Down For Free [18-18]
19 Kimbra - Human [N]
20 Ariel Beesley - Slower than Usual [N]
21 Fall Out Boy - Wilson (Expensive Mistakes) [N]
22 Skott - Stay Off My Mind [39-X1-22]
23 Joseph & Maia - NYC [N]
24 St Albion ft. Max Frost - Ghosting [N]
25 GoldLink ft. Shy Glizzy + Brent Faiyaz - Crew [20-12-22-25]
26 Chris Lane ft. Tori Kelly - Take Back Home Girl [12-18-21-26]
27 Maroon 5 - Wait [N]
28 Foster the People - Static Space Lover [16-24-24-28]
29 Alayna - Bliss [34-29]
30 Jessie Ware - Midnight [N]
31 Neon Trees - Feel Good [31-31]
32 AronChupa ft. Little Sis Nora - Little Swing [N]
33 George Maple - Kryptonite [N]
34 Embrace - The Finish Line [N]
35 Paramore - Forgiveness [32-10-13-35]
36 Alt-J - Hares on the Mountain [35-26-14-36]
37 Everything Everything - Run the Numbers [N]
38 Banks - This is Not About Us [N]
39 Tritonal ft. Sj + Tima Dee - Calabasas [N]
40 Dawin - Panther [29-19-40]

#1s this year:
Inna – Nirvana (1)
Eminem ft. Ed Sheeran – River (1)
Femme En Fourrure ft. Pykari – Ride (2)
Simian Ghost – Eat The Rich (~)

My spotify picks arrow right.gif {A-List} arrow right.gif {B-List} arrow right.gif {C-List}

This post has been edited by Jüpiter: 12th February 2018, 10:28 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 5th February 2018, 02:33 AM
Post #2
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

Hi Jupiter,

Very Glad to see Troye #3! And Pink and Taylor/Ed/Future #4 and #9 respectively wub.gif

Glad to see Jessie Ware, Everything Everything and Banks enter!

Great Chart biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 6th February 2018, 07:24 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hello Jupiter!
Nice to see "End Game" in the top 10 and "Midnight" debut!

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 12th February 2018, 10:27 PM
Post #4
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

And here's this week's new entries:

Starting off with dance and pop. Tritonal score a second charter around this end of the chart following their previous collab with Laurell, it's a belated debut for AronChupa, and a third charter for Maroon 5 from latest album Red Pill Blues with inoffensive track Wait.

A few shouts out for established indie acts this week. Banks scores a third entry from The Altar following Poltergeist and Weaker Girl, Fall Out Boy also land a third from M A N I A, a belated fourth comes for George Maple from Lover and Midnight becomes Jessie Ware's second charter thus far from Glasshouse. Everything Everything additionally land a first charter from fourth album A Fever Dream - previously released singles Can't Do, Desire and Night of the Long Knives all just missed top 40 for me, and Embrace's The Finish Line also enters.

This week also sees a large number of debuts from lesser known singers and acts, so this is the section you'll make the most discoveries. Kimbra might be the best known of this bunch from her guest stint on Gotye's flagship hit from 2012; Human becomes her second charter of the year following top ten Everybody Knows. St Albion and Max Frost team up for Ghosting, scoring a second and third charter respectively, while Like That, this week's highest new entry, gives Carmody a third. NYC becomes Joseph & Maia's second top 40 hit following last year's Pouring Light, Ariel Beesley makes her chart debut with Slower Than Usual, and Skott's Stay Off My Mind makes a triumphant re-entry and re-peak this week nearly 20 places higher than it previously managed. And that's them all! Comments and feedback welcome as ever biggrin.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 06:26 AM