BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jesy Nelson talks Blackfishing & states LM are her sisters
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Slayer
post 20th August 2021, 04:13 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 120,499

Key parts of her interview with "The Guardian".

“I was having these panic attacks out of nowhere. I couldn’t understand what was happening. It got to the point where I thought, this is too much – I need to come out of this now.”

Nelson has been calm, but starts to cry. “I did the music video and had a panic attack, and it was pretty mental that day. God, I haven’t really spoken about it and I’m getting upset. Sorry.” She brushes her tears away. “After the video I just got back in a really dark place and ended up back in hospital. That was when my mum said, ‘No more.’” The tears are still falling, and she grabs another tissue. “I had already decided. Then the girls spoke to Mum and said, ‘We think Jesy should come out of this now. She has to look after herself.’” So in the end it was their decision as much as hers? “Yeah,” she says. “Yeah. I know there are people who think I’ve let the other girls down, and that I’m so selfish, but I do think there comes a time in life when you do have to be selfish and look after yourself, and it was really affecting me mentally.”

“Certain people on my team didn’t care.” She comes to a stop. “I’m not talking about the girls. There were people on my team who knew how I was feeling and didn’t give a ****. They just weren’t bothered.” She means management? “Yep. There was an energy when I walked into a room. I felt there were certain people on my team who just didn’t want me to be there.”
I ask whether her unhappiness has made it tough for the girls over the years. “Of course. Course. We’ve all had our own problems. But it’s never nice to be around someone who’s down and doesn’t want to be there. As much as I needed to come out of it for myself, I didn’t want to keep putting three other people through that as well.”

Now Little Mix is a trio, two of whom are pregnant. Does she think the group will stay together? “I reckon they’ll look after their babies, go off and do their own things for a while, then make a comeback together. I think they’re just as sick as a three. They’re still doing it for girl power. I still love them to pieces. They were like my sisters.” Has she been in touch with them? “No, not as much. Not now. I think we all need time. It’s a big thing that’s happened.”

“What I’ve said about a million times is that I never said I’m coming out of the band to never be in the public eye again. I said I’m coming out of Little Mix because I could not deal with the pressure of being in a girl band, not that I can’t deal with the pressures of being in the spotlight or being famous.”

In May she was accused on social media of “blackfishing” – a term used to describe white people who have altered their appearance to the extent that they look racially ambiguous. “I would never want to offend anyone, and that was really upsetting. I wasn’t aware that’s how people felt.” She sounds bewildered by the allegation.

“In a group, you never really get to show off who you are because you get allocated a part. So now I’m doing this, I get to sing how I want.”

Nelson’s sent me one of her new songs called Boyz. It is R&B influenced, with an element of hip-hop thrown in for good measure (including a sample from P Diddy’s Bad Boy For Life.) In the song, co-written with producers Loose Change, she calls herself out for being attracted to bad boys.

“Part of me feels I should be single for ever because in relationships you have to sacrifice so much. I like waking up and knowing this day is just for me and I don’t need to worry about anyone but me. I’m really not looking for a relationship any more.”

Perhaps the problem is that men just aren’t that great? She beams. “I wish I liked women, I really do. I said that to my sister the other day because she’s gay. I said, ‘Jade, I wish I loved women,’ and she was like, ‘Well, just try it – you never know.’ And I said, ‘No, I love men too much.’ I just love the way men smell, I love muscles, and women don’t have that, do they?” Some do, I say. “Ha ha! I’ll never rule it out, I’ll just say that.”

For now, Jesy Nelson is going to focus on herself. “I feel you only get one shot to make your impact as a solo artist, so I’m going all guns blazing. I don’t want people to be, ‘Oh, that’s nice,’ or ‘I expected her to do that.’ I want people to be, ‘**** my life, she’s here!’”

I remind her what her bandmate Jade Thirlwall said about her becoming a broken doll. Did she recognise that? “Yes!” If she was a broken doll then, what is she now? “Now? I am a dolly that’s been put back together again. I’m not going to say I’m a new dolly; I’m not going to sit here and say, ‘Oh my God, I’m not insecure any more, I’m the most confident person ever,’ because that would be bull****.” If she’s going to stay healthy, she says, it is vital that she’s honest with herself – and her fans.“I still have my insecurities and I probably always will, but it’s learning how to deal with them and accepting them. I still have days when I get down, but I’m definitely not broken. That’s for sure.”

This post has been edited by Slayer: 21st August 2021, 11:11 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Frenchie
post 21st August 2021, 08:16 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 72,030

Here’s the full article.

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2021/aug/...impression=true

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post 21st August 2021, 08:33 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059

Seems pretty fair, honestly.

The other girls were of the opinion she should leave for her own mental health as well which was interesting, and they're still on good terms and just taking some time away from eachother right now.

Hopefully that puts an end to any 'shade' or 'fued' crap fans have ran with.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 21st August 2021, 10:49 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

That was such an interesting (and sad) read! My heart goes out to her it really sucks that the experience wasn't what she wanted to to be / thought it would be.

Really interesting to hear that the other girls also played a part in saying she should leave too. It's very obvious she needed to get out at that point panic attacks are not a nice thing at all, and that video from Live Lounge shows a lot about her mental health at that time. It's such a shame that she then missed out on a BRIT award, being part of the GH campaign to celebrate 10 years of Little Mix since she was such a vital part in making that group what it was. She may not be here right now if she has done though so perspective is vital.

Melanie C suffered for a long time with her self worth, depression (which she says she still struggles with to this day) and eating disorders due to the same issues of being called the ugly one, the butch one, the lesbian etc by the press, to the extent it made her hate the group she was in and resent them for years, the entire Forever campaign was pretty much halted due to her... the fact Jesy was able to keep going for years says a lot about her inner strength.

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 21st August 2021, 11:16 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Love Jesy so much, i'm glad she acknowledged the black fishing and it's really interesting to hear more about the story!

I guess it was a mutual thing that she left - nice to see her say Little Mix as a 3 are still incredible and that she still loves them.

+Quote this post
Perriechu
post 21st August 2021, 11:20 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 109,885

Mmk, so that was.. interesting.

Very nice to hear her talk about the girls like that - I feel like there are things we all need to accept and stop peddling - 1 being that she was genuinely unhappy with being compared to other girls in the group and she left due to that - 2 she and the girls still have love they just need time apart. She didn't leave for a solo career and it's insulting to her mental health struggle to say that - especially after she states she was in hospital again after the Sweet Melody video (to what degree we won't know but it's never good)

However - she's fully aware of the term blackfishing and how it offends and upsets people and she's *still* doing it - that awful wig and the darker make-up she's still doing something she knows is offensive? that's messed up, no matter how you want to portray it - I empathise so deeply with her mental health struggles, I really do but the blackfishing and lack of awareness is just too much for me to continue to support her career wholeheartedly.

+Quote this post
shindymindy
post 21st August 2021, 11:34 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 2,021

It was an interesting read and great that we can put the rumours of them falling out behind us. I hope they can all remain friends once all are in a comfortable position again.
The things she went through are horrendous so she (and the girls) dod the right thing for her.

But, I agree about the blackfishing - she's been told about it before and never did anything about it.... but still carries on doing it. It doesn't sit right with me at all I'm afraid. It's just wrong.

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 21st August 2021, 12:50 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Other bits:

She has been obsessed with music and dancing since she was a little girl. Who were her heroes? “Missy Elliott,” she says instantly. “She is the queen. I would come home from school and the first thing I’d do is put on MTV Base and study Missy Elliott’s videos. She always had this little girl in her videos and I so wanted to be her. I loved what we did in Little Mix, but it wasn’t necessarily music I would listen to myself. The music I love is old school R&B and hip-hop.” Her new music reflects her own tastes. “That’s what I grew up with and what I always wanted to make, so now I am making it, it feels amazing.”

She became terrified of going out, and her absences were noted by the press. “When it was in the papers that I wasn’t turning up to work, it was just, ‘Oh, Jesy’s not well,’ but really I was hiding away. I didn’t want to get papped because I’d got so insecure about the way I looked. There were times I didn’t want anyone to look at me. I felt everybody hated me. I didn’t know what I was doing wrong, and it consumed me.” She started referring to herself as an “ugly rat”.

Magazines often featured her, and there were only two topics – she was gaining weight or losing weight. The more she read about herself, the more she went on extreme diets. It became a vicious circle of self-loathing. “I’d only eat a packet of ham for a day or drink Diet Coke for a week and not eat anything. And then I remember, getting to my skinniest at one point, I went on the Daily Mail website, which I was obsessed with, and there was a pap picture of me and the headline was about me losing weight. All the comments were about ‘Oh my God she’s far too skinny, she looks awful,’ and I remember feeling so happy because that’s all I’d ever wanted.” She pauses. “Now I look back, it’s mad. I went to see a therapist and she said, ‘You know that’s an eating disorder, don’t you?’ I never realised just drinking Diet Coke for a week was an eating disorder. My manager said, ‘Jesy, you’re so tiny, you’ve got body dysmorphia.’”

Did the girls tell her the same thing? “Yes, all the time, but it didn’t matter to me because everything I read was the opposite.”

Last October Little Mix returned to work to make a video for the single Sweet Melody. “In lockdown I’d just become a little porky pig and eaten whatever I wanted, and then they’d sprung on us two weeks prior, ‘Oh, you’ve got a music video.’ I got in a panic because I’d put on weight.” The panic was exacerbated by the styling for the video. “They were like, ‘You’ve got to wear a bikini!’ Obviously, I don’t have to wear it, but I knew I couldn’t be in a video with the other three wearing a bikini and me in a dressing gown. I got in such a state about having to lose weight in two weeks and wear a bikini. I went back to work and was really down about myself.”

In the end, she wore a corset while the others displayed their midriffs. Nelson was often dressed differently from the others in videos. For example, while they wore white, she would often wear black. “I never wanted to wear white because I thought white made me look fat,” she says. “So I’d wear black and there would be this constant joke online among fans: “Oh, someone forgot to tell Jesy about the white memo.”

This post has been edited by Slayer: 21st August 2021, 12:53 PM

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post 21st August 2021, 01:19 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059

Regarding the video in a bikini does she mean 'Holiday'? As they were all in bikinis for that and I'm sure it was the first work related thing they did after coming out of lockdown?

+Quote this post
Mr. C. Joel
post 21st August 2021, 02:27 PM
Post #10
Group icon
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
User: 7,475

Hold up this article seems honest however,

The Blackfishing comments she apparently learnt from?! Yet we all know she’s taken it to the extreme in recent promo?

I guess we all expected the girls didn’t really speak now but at least it seems like there’s no hate between them.

I’m really hoping in the future they might be close again, they spent an incredible 9 years together so it’ll be sad if in time a stronger friendship can’t come out of it.

Also SERIOUS shade to Sean (Obviously wasn’t the nicest..)

This post has been edited by Mr. C. Joel: 21st August 2021, 02:30 PM

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 21st August 2021, 02:32 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(shadow2009 @ Aug 21 2021, 02:19 PM) *
Regarding the video in a bikini does she mean 'Holiday'? As they were all in bikinis for that and I'm sure it was the first work related thing they did after coming out of lockdown?

Originally they wanted Jesy to wear a bikini top in the Sweet Melody video but Jesy wasn't happy with it so she ended up in the corset that everyone complained about.

There was a second lockdown in the UK so she was on about that one I believe.

This post has been edited by Slayer: 21st August 2021, 02:32 PM

+Quote this post
Perriechu
post 21st August 2021, 02:33 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Mr. C. Joel @ Aug 21 2021, 03:27 PM) *
Hold up this article seems honest however,

The Blackfishing comments she apparently learnt from?! Yet we all know she’s taken it to the extreme in recent promo?

I guess we all expected the girls didn’t really speak now but at least it seems like there’s no hate between them.

I’m really hoping in the future they might be close again, they spent an incredible 9 years together so it’ll be sad if in time a stronger friendship can’t come out of it.

Also SERIOUS shade to Sean (Obviously wasn’t the nicest..)

I don't think she learnt from them - an article that was done by a cis white man probably wasn't the best idea to discuss such a topic, but it's very annoying to see she now KNOWS what this means and still hasn't done anything to stop it.

The only thing I can think of is that everything was shot in advance, so we have yet to see what her current appearance is like (I don't pay attention to her insta a lot anymore) but I hope that this is at least a tiny stepping stone to her education.

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 21st August 2021, 02:34 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(jsweetxe @ Aug 21 2021, 03:33 PM) *
I don't think she learnt from them - an article that was done by a cis white man probably wasn't the best idea to discuss such a topic, but it's very annoying to see she now KNOWS what this means and still hasn't done anything to stop it.

The only thing I can think of is that everything was shot in advance, so we have yet to see what her current appearance is like (I don't pay attention to her insta a lot anymore) but I hope that this is at least a tiny stepping stone to her education.

It's a good step finally acknowledging, hoping she's more conscious going forward.

However, happy with the interview and it's really nice to see she still has love for the other girls.

Hoping one day all four can be all good, their friendship was incredible and what made LM so great. Would love to see them together again one day.

+Quote this post
Court
post 21st August 2021, 02:59 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 23,564

To pretend that she didn’t know before now anyway is a joke. She was blocking people who said it to her, she only acknowledged it because he brought it up and seeing as this interview was several weeks ago (before her video shoot where she’s doing the same thing) she hasn’t given it a second thought.

But in regards to the Little Mix stuff I thought she presented herself well. I never doubted why she left but it’s nice to hear it in more detail from her own mouth. It’s interesting she cites the switch to RCA as being when she started hating songs they were sent when she notoriously hates Black Magic and I’d imagine that the scrapped third album was much more in line with music she prefers.

The end where she says she wishes she liked women is a bit iffy as well though. She could probably do with some media training.

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 21st August 2021, 04:41 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

I can't at her knowing about the blackfishing yet doing nothing about it. She's basically saying she knows it offends people but she doesn't care all too much.

Also wishing she was gay is kind of laughable and tonedeaf to say...

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 21st August 2021, 05:20 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(*Tim @ Aug 21 2021, 05:41 PM) *
Also wishing she was gay is kind of laughable and tonedeaf to say...

A lot of people say stuff like this, people will jump and attack her for anything - it was obviously a lighthearted joke.

+Quote this post
Court
post 21st August 2021, 05:33 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(Slayer @ Aug 21 2021, 01:20 PM) *
A lot of people say stuff like this, people will jump and attack her for anything - it was obviously a lighthearted joke.

And some people will jump to defend her for everything.

+Quote this post
Perriechu
post 21st August 2021, 06:18 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Court @ Aug 21 2021, 06:33 PM) *
And some people will jump to defend her for everything.

i feel like the blackfishing is the only thing anyone shouldn't really be defending, anything else is fair game.

as a gay person i didn't find any offense in her comments in context, because if you have reading comprehension you can read exactly what she's saying and why she said it at that particular moment - a bit.. weird? yes

homophobic/queerbaiting? no.

context matters.

+Quote this post
Court
post 21st August 2021, 07:06 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(jsweetxe @ Aug 21 2021, 02:18 PM) *
i feel like the blackfishing is the only thing anyone shouldn't really be defending, anything else is fair game.

as a gay person i didn't find any offense in her comments in context, because if you have reading comprehension you can read exactly what she's saying and why she said it at that particular moment - a bit.. weird? yes

homophobic/queerbaiting? no.

context matters.

Context matters in this thread too, because no one was actually attacking Jesy or calling her homophobic. All that was said was it was a bit tone deaf and that maybe she should work on how she says things because what she did say can be easily misconstrued. And my comment about jumping to the defensive was specifically aimed at the poster who has actively been trying to shut down any critique of Jesy (including the valid blackfishing comments).

Of course, we can have discussions and engage in conversations about these things and not everyone’s going to feel the same way. But I i feel that comments like yours, actually explaining how you felt about what she said, are more helpful to those conversations than comments that just deflect to shut down any discussion that could be considered negative.

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 21st August 2021, 08:08 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

Edit: Lemme not continue this conversation, it's not gonna lead anywhere but more arguments

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 07:29 PM