BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Did Rochelle ruin The Saturdays?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-0-0
post 27th March 2015, 01:05 AM
Post #1
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

I think it would have been interesting to see how The Saturdays would have performed had Rochelle not been pregnant. I believe they would have had some US success and I'm sure 'Living For The Weekend' would have been a higher quality album and arguably pushed back further.

The Saturdays were #102 on USA iTunes without 'What About Us' being sent to radio and two live performances with it already charting in Canada. 'What About Us' was due to be sent to radio in March when The Saturdays were returning to the UK meaning they would be unable to promote / radio tour.

'What About Us' was still top 500 on USA iTunes and managed to sell over 100,000 copies in the United states with 'Chasing The Saturdays' EP selling over 3,000 in the opening week and would have been top 200 had they not released on an odd day.

The Saturdays were due to tour with Justin Bieber which would have been a huge opportunity and would have had them perform in front off 20,000 people a night which I think would have made their music more noticed and would have got their name out their. I fully believe had Rochelle not got pregnant then the whole 'Living For The Weekend' campaign would have been different as they would have toured with Bieber and arguably the income from that could have got them better producers / better quality = No Gentleman.

I do adore Rochelle but I do believe her being pregnant signaled the end of The Saturdays... it was just the worst possible timing.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
SGrey
post 27th March 2015, 09:33 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 20,182

QUOTE(Napoleon @ Mar 27 2015, 01:05 AM) *
I think it would have been interesting to see how The Saturdays would have performed had Rochelle not been pregnant. I believe they would have had some US success and I'm sure 'Living For The Weekend' would have been a higher quality album and arguably pushed back further.

The Saturdays were #102 on USA iTunes without 'What About Us' being sent to radio and two live performances with it already charting in Canada. 'What About Us' was due to be sent to radio in March when The Saturdays were returning to the UK meaning they would be unable to promote / radio tour.

'What About Us' was still top 500 on USA iTunes and managed to sell over 100,000 copies in the United states with 'Chasing The Saturdays' EP selling over 3,000 in the opening week and would have been top 200 had they not released on an odd day.

The Saturdays were due to tour with Justin Bieber which would have been a huge opportunity and would have had them perform in front off 20,000 people a night which I think would have made their music more noticed and would have got their name out their. I fully believe had Rochelle not got pregnant then the whole 'Living For The Weekend' campaign would have been different as they would have toured with Bieber and arguably the income from that could have got them better producers / better quality = No Gentleman.

I do adore Rochelle but I do believe her being pregnant signaled the end of The Saturdays... it was just the worst possible timing.

Seconded laugh.gif

+Quote this post
JSG
post 27th March 2015, 10:27 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

I feel like once one baby came along someone else thought oh let's have a baby too and then again and again and again. I assume they must have spoken about having families and taking time out. Really I dont think it's anyone's fault. Just really bad timing.

+Quote this post
post 27th March 2015, 10:42 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

So many things ruined the Saturdays. But I don't think she did. Even though she was preggo, they came back to the UK and had their first big selling #1, so they were still alive and well as a band. Yes, they probably could have charted A BIT higher in America, maybe around #70? But I don't think they were going to ever be massive their,

Gentleman as we know properly ruined them. And probably a knock on effect from Gentleman was the fact Radio 1 stopped play-listing them - I think that officially signed their death warrant.

+Quote this post
goldfish
post 27th March 2015, 11:29 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 19,424

but they playlisted Disco Love and still play it the odd time

I totally believe Rochelle's pregnant halted the American thing

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 27th March 2015, 11:33 AM
Post #6
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

Marvin did.

+Quote this post
post 27th March 2015, 01:40 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(goldfish @ Mar 27 2015, 11:29 AM) *
but they playlisted Disco Love and still play it the odd time

I totally believe Rochelle's pregnant halted the American thing

They stopped playing new Saturdays music though, which lead to the flops.

This post has been edited by Joe.: 27th March 2015, 01:40 PM

+Quote this post
Totto
post 27th March 2015, 04:05 PM
Post #8
Group icon
I was grindin' with the DJ with my hands on the floor!
User: 20,441

No she didn't, what the f***? Close the thread.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 27th March 2015, 04:12 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

Rochelle ruins everything.

+Quote this post
-0-0
post 27th March 2015, 04:22 PM
Post #10
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

I just wish Marvin made her have another eye incident to put her in hospital rather than get her pregnant.

+Quote this post
P@ul
post 27th March 2015, 05:03 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,742

QUOTE(Napoleon @ Mar 27 2015, 04:22 PM) *
I just wish Marvin made her have another eye incident to put her in hospital rather than get her pregnant.

Wasn't this confirmed as untrue and something Rochelle made up to try be funny?

+Quote this post
Totto
post 27th March 2015, 05:09 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I was grindin' with the DJ with my hands on the floor!
User: 20,441

QUOTE(P@ul @ Mar 27 2015, 06:03 PM) *
Wasn't this confirmed as untrue and something Rochelle* made up to try be funny?

Mollie*

+Quote this post
April
post 27th March 2015, 09:06 PM
Post #13
Group icon
changed the game with that digital drop
User: 11,905

GENTLEMAN ruined The Saturdays, nothing else.

You're all living in dreamland if you ever think The Sats were gonna be big in America. They don't have the work ethic to be worldwide stars, they would've got tired after one single and not bothered even if WAU blew up.

However, the America hype rejuvenated their UK career. It managed to give them their most successful single yet and popularity with the casual audience. They f***ed up by releasing such a marmeeet (and shit) song as follow-up. Realistically, the casual fans who bought WAU wouldn't have liked a song like Gentleman. The radios wouldn't touch it because it was so cheesy and bad. Disco Love managed to be a minor success given the damage caused by Gentleman, but the damage from that release was too far beyond repair for them to ever recover. It caused them to lose radio support for good.

+Quote this post
Hurricane
post 27th March 2015, 09:18 PM
Post #14
Group icon
get me started, hot like fire
User: 17,262

I kinda believe 'Disco Love' would have been huge after 'What About Us' (as in bigger than the likes of 'Higher'). It's not exactly "summer-y", but it's really warm and far from being cold so it would have worked as a summer anthem just as much as anything else. Imagine the radio support it would have had after 'What About Us' from Radio 1.... Oh my god.

+Quote this post
post 28th March 2015, 12:33 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Hurricane @ Mar 27 2015, 09:18 PM) *
I kinda believe 'Disco Love' would have been huge after 'What About Us' (as in bigger than the likes of 'Higher'). It's not exactly "summer-y", but it's really warm and far from being cold so it would have worked as a summer anthem just as much as anything else. Imagine the radio support it would have had after 'What About Us' from Radio 1.... Oh my god.

It's depressing how much I agree really - oh what could have been, If Disco Love had been a top 10 radio AirPlay hit, it could have been huge for them. 51k sales for a song with such minimal support is really something. I still think WAU -> Wildfire -> Disco Love -> album -> and Leave a Light on and Not Giving Up as post album singles. I reckon they'd easily have a gold album and it would have put them in a really good place for the release of GH.

Oh to imagine.

+Quote this post
Martyn
post 28th March 2015, 12:50 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 66

The Saturdays are probably one of the biggest cases of what might have been. Just a few changes and they would have had a completely different career, it could have been over much sooner. Really though 4 full studio albums and the half album of Headlines and a Greatest Hits is more than most bands in general will get to release. So by being slow burners and being biggest girl band by default, maybe things worked out for the best. Being a second tier band isn't something to be sniffed at, the girls had success but also freedom to not be burnt out.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 28th March 2015, 01:44 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Normally I'd take any excuse to bash Rochelle but no, it was Gentleman. I really like the song myself and think it gets too much hate sometimes but then I think how it pretty much killed them and I can kinda see the hate, if tht makes sense. As a fun album track it works (it's so catchy) but as a single at all, let alone the follow-up to a gold selling #1, it was such a HUGE misfire. I definitely agree that Disco Love was the easy choice for the next single after WAU, it's similarly catchy and anhemic but not a direct copy or anything. I mean if they really had to release something a bit different they could have just gone for Lease My Love after Disco Love.

+Quote this post
April
post 28th March 2015, 01:01 PM
Post #18
Group icon
changed the game with that digital drop
User: 11,905

Disco Love wasn't recorded until July though was it? I can't believe they overlooked Not Giving Up when fans raved about it following its play on Chasing The Saturdays.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 11:21 PM