BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Funny Films
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Insomnio
post Dec 7 2015, 12:56 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
"She's Funny That Way" is an American comedy that was released in my country over four months ago. I had not seen the official trailer in a movie theater nor had I read its plot on a movie site. To be honest, I was not intrigued by the title and I saw it just because there were few options at that time. However, "She's Funny That Way" was a very pleasant story that gave us ample doses of laughter in the elegant open air cinema that we saw it in.
The protagonist of the story is Isabella, who works as a call girl. One night she sleeps with a rich and unusual customer, who will give her a respectable amount of money to leave her job forever. Isabella does not let the chance go to waste. She gets the money and she follows his advice. However, fate will bring them close very quickly after Isabella becomes an actress and the customer of that fateful evening happens to be a successful director of theatrical performances on Broadway. The fact that he is married and his wife will be co-starring with Isabella in the play, which is preparing to premiere in a short time, will cause some things to become upside down. "She's Funny That Way" is a comedy of situations, misunderstandings and endless coincidences that reminded me of Woody Allen’s films. The fast and well-written dialogues and the unforgettable quotes were the best elements of the film. Peter Bogdanovich was not limited to the directorial piece of film but also he wrote the script along with his ex-wife, Louise Stratten. He did a pretty good job that combined it aptly with elaborate editing. The interpretations of the actors were good and Jennifer Aniston stole the show once again. I do not know how to describe it exactly but the expression of this woman in tragicomic characters like in Horrible Bosses, always makes me laugh. She played the hysterical woman here. She is incredible!
"She's Funny That Way" received mixed reviews worldwide. There were some problems with its official release and therefore the movie came out in the USA in limited theaters circuit. I cannot say that it is one of the best comedies I have ever seen, but certainly, I spent a beautiful time throughout its course. Moreover, summer is not recommended for heavy dramas and sob stories, so "She's Funny That Way" was a good alternative choice for someone who wanted to get away from the problems of everyday life.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post Jan 24 2017, 09:54 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
"The Lady in the Van" is a British comedy which came out in my country during last March. The film is based on the homonymous play by Alan Bennet, which came to the stage in 1999. The protagonist of the project was Maggie Smith, who received rave reviews for her interpretation and she was nominated for Olivier Award in 2000. "The Lady in the Van" scenario is based on true events and the big success of the play could not be restricted only to theaters. So, Alan Bennet in collaboration with the director Nicholas Hytner adapted it to the big screen and they asked Maggie Smith to undertake the leading role again. The film made its official premiere at the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival and some months later, Maggie Smith was nominated for the Golden Globe for “Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy- and the Bafta for "Best Actress in a Leading Role".
The main heroine of the film is Mary Sheperd, a homeless old woman who lives in a van and she is wandering the streets of London as the unfair curse. One day, she makes the decision to park her van in the high class neighborhood of Camden Town in order to stay there for six months but she will end up living in the area for 15 years. Her acquaintance with a playwright will be decisive since the latter is the only one that he will show tolerance and he will let her to park her van on his garden. "The Lady in the Van" was a very pleasant surprise for me! The film had hilarious scenes, the script was clever with caustic dialogues -vitriolic British humor- and the characters caused us laughter without looking ridiculous. The interpretation of Maggie Smith was excellent and she should have been nominated for the Golden Statuette too. The woman gave a remarkable performance after she performed with absolute naturalness the eccentric role of Mary Sheperd. Moreover, her co-star Alex Jennings was amazing too, whose style and character effortlessly caused smiles in the audience. The screenwriter Alan Bennet seems to have had a literary verve and the director Nicholas Hytner made an apt presentation of the story since he filmed the movie at the point where the events unfolded.
"The Lady in the Van" is definitely one of the best comedies I have seen on the big screen in the last twenty years! It was also my 3rd favourite movie for 2015 after "Room" and "Pride"! The well written script and the great performances from the cast make it stand out from other films of its kind. "The Lady in the Van" is seen pleasantly from beginning to end and its evolution will surely keep the viewer's interest. The film received very positive reviews (except the sourness of Greek critics) while Maggie Smith was particularly praised for her charismatic interpretation. "The Lady in the Van" is a film that represents the British humor in the best possible way and it is a funny story although it is not some exciting. It succeeds to captivate your attention from the start. I couldn't help but wonder if we are finally more cold people than British when we have so bad current comedies.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:06 AM