BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Local elections 2019
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Suedehead2
post Apr 28 2019, 09:32 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

Local elections take place in much of England (not London) and Northern Ireland on Thursday. There are no contests (apart, maybe, from the odd byelection) in the rest of the UK.

The Tories did well in the corresponding contests four years ago and are defending nearly 5,000 of the 8,500 seats up for grabs. They have already won over 200 seats where no other candidates have been nominated. Labour are defending 2,000 seats and the Lib Dems about 650.

Here in Brighton and Hove the whole council is up for election. The Tories became the largest party earlier this year after a Labour councillor defected. Labour will be looking to overturn that and, perhaps, win a majority. This is one of the areas where the Greens have a significant presence.

My previous council in Poole has been abolished and is now part of an enlarged Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole. The new council will be elected on Thursday. The Tories controlled all three of the old councils (two of them overwhelmingly), so they will be expected to control the new one.

The two new parties (Chukas and Farage Fanclub) are contesting few, if any, seats.

The nature of the seats being contested should mean significant Tory losses with Labour and Lib Dems making gains.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 28 2019, 09:43 AM
Post #2
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

I’m actually ready for little change in these elections, and media using them a bit disingenuously. It’ll be interesting as a whole to see how the parties are competing but it won’t mean too much on the national level.

These are however likely to affect your life much more directly than a general would, if you have them, remember to take the time to vote for whichever counselor sounds best.

+Quote Post
Silas
post Apr 28 2019, 09:54 AM
Post #3
Queen of Soon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,474

There's elections in Salford but i'm still registered in Scotland (preparing for Indyref2) so I won't be partaking in the locals down here. It's a fruitless endeavour in Salford anyway as it'll just be Labour

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Apr 28 2019, 11:03 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Speaking as an employee of a new enlarged council I'm hoping the oldies will be so pissed off at not getting brexit delivered they stay at home and the Tory stranglehold gets loosened just to say thanks for all the cuts

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Apr 28 2019, 11:22 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Apr 28 2019, 12:03 PM) *
Speaking as an employee of a new enlarged council I'm hoping the oldies will be so pissed off at not getting brexit delivered they stay at home and the Tory stranglehold gets loosened just to say thanks for all the cuts

Here's hoping!

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Apr 28 2019, 12:24 PM
Post #6
Howdy, disco citizens
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks for opening the topic Si, meant to do it last week but didn't get around to it.

In terms of the locals in NI, it will be interesting to see if the past 2 years of Stormont deadlock will have an effect on the chances of Sinn Fein/DUP, especially given the rollicking they received from Father Magill at Lyra McKee's funeral last week. They'll likely still be the biggest two parties, with reduced seat numbers.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Apr 28 2019, 05:31 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

yes a noticeable lack of clapping and reluctant standing from certain quarters...

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 1 2019, 03:45 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Another day, another Tory treating us all as idiots.

A scout leader in Lincolnshire got some of his scouts to deliver Tory leaflets in exchange for use of an allotment. The scouts are now trying to suggest it was an honest mistake. Yeah, right.

Any candidate for office should know that getting people to deliver leaflets in exchange for payment is illegal unless it is declared as an election expense. Whether this counts is questionable, but the general advice should be that it is not worth the risk. Second, scout leaders should know that getting scouts involved in any political activity is against the rules. After all, Chief Scout Bear Grylls was criticised when he addressed the Tory conference in full uniform. It shouldn't take a great deal of brain power to work out that delivering election leaflets counts as political activity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-48120288

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post May 2 2019, 08:33 AM
Post #9
   No Gallery Pics

^Election law flaunting... to put it nicely, layabouts. Leafleting is a great physical challenge you should be proud to do, even if it kills your legs.

Who has voted today then? I don't need to as there are no elections in Cornwall but most of England has elections.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post May 2 2019, 08:43 AM
Post #10
Howdy, disco citizens
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Voted this morning just as the station opened. Leaves me rest of the day to myself.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post May 2 2019, 11:19 AM
Post #11
Paul Hyett
Group: Banned
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz~ @ May 2 2019, 09:33 AM) *
Leafleting is a great physical challenge you should be proud to do, even if it kills your legs.

Been there, done that - never again! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post May 2 2019, 11:26 AM
Post #12
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

I have voted!

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 2 2019, 11:27 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Voted at 7.30. I was the third person to vote at my polling station.

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 2 2019, 11:54 AM
Post #14
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
Member No.: 5,342

No elections in Fareham sadly this year (but there’s at least something to vote in at the end of month!) but nearby (as in one ward is 30 seconds from my house) in Portsmouth Labour and Lib Dems should eat into the Tory vote nicely.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post May 2 2019, 11:56 AM
Post #15
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(vidcapper @ May 2 2019, 11:19 AM) *
Been there, done that - never again! tongue.gif

Oh, I actually miss being able to do it, I was knackered at the end of a run but I always welcome exercise excuses and ticking off lists of suburbs is an activity that brings me great joy on occasion. I grant that perhaps I'm a little unusual in this regard, but it made my local party love me.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 2 2019, 12:04 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz~ @ May 2 2019, 12:56 PM) *
Oh, I actually miss being able to do it, I was knackered at the end of a run but I always welcome exercise excuses and ticking off lists of suburbs is an activity that brings me great joy on occasion. I grant that perhaps I'm a little unusual in this regard, but it made my local party love me.

Come and live in Brighton. We’d welcome you with open arms biggrin.gif

Leafletting is generally OK, but there is an increasing problem over getting into flats. I also hate letter boxes six inches of the ground or with a violent spring mechanism. I usually end an election campaign wishing for strict regulations on letter boxes laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post May 2 2019, 06:58 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Voted. The hall was empty apart from officials (late morning) which is quite encouraging. It's next door to the doctor's surgery so it's quite handy for Tory voters not having to walk far, and next door to a church so they can go and pray for forgiveness afterwards ...

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 2 2019, 07:12 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ May 2 2019, 07:58 PM) *
Voted. The hall was empty apart from officials (late morning) which is quite encouraging. It's next door to the doctor's surgery so it's quite handy for Tory voters not having to walk far, and next door to a church so they can go and pray for forgiveness afterwards ...

Is your count overnight or tomorrow?

+Quote Post
Steve201
post May 2 2019, 07:55 PM
Post #19
Shakin Stevens
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Voted there now.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post May 2 2019, 10:06 PM
Post #20
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

boted

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:49 PM