BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Whitney Houston ~RIP, Another eighties icon gone.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
blackcat
post Feb 12 2012, 03:57 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 13,909
I was never that big of fan, to be honest, but her music was always around, always being played, during my main nightclubbing period of the late eighties/early nineties. Whitney was 48 when she passed away - Born August 1963, passed away less than 24 hours ago, February 12th 2012. Her life was not a happy one for a singer who had had such huge amounts of success, with drug problems, problems of husband abuse from Bobby Brown, it has been alledged, although she did have one daughter by Brown. Her mother was Cissy Houston, her cousin was Dionne Warwick, her Godmother was Aretha Franklin. With a pedigree like that, it is perhaps not surprising that Whitney had such great success, with a superb singing voice, and a professional presentation of her records.

Whitney is the most "awarded" female act in history, with Emmy awards, multiple grammy awards, Billboard awards of all kinds for her high sales in the late eighties and early nineties, in particular. The Bodyguard soundtrack is one of the best selling flim soundtracks in history, her version of Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You is one of the best selling singles ever.

She is probably about third or fourth in terms of the list of best selling female artists of all-time, certainly behind Madonna, Celine Dion, and Mariah Carey, (in my own sales estimation) but still in front of so many others. Among her many achievements salewise was a record seven consecutive number one singles in a row on the American Billboard charts, which is even more impressive than the Beatles and The Bee Gees, both of whom only managed six number ones in a row.

Her best record? Always a question of personal taste, but this one brings back lots of happy eighties memories for me:

RIP Whitney Houston.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Feb 12 2012, 06:07 PM
Post #2
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67
I TRULY fell in love with Whitney after her reality show. BOBBBAAAYYYYYY!!! LMFAO.

But besides that, she really had the most beautiful voice ever IMO. 'I Will Always Love You', gives me chills every time I hear it. Tragic that she is actually gone... I feel so bad for her daughter.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Feb 23 2012, 10:06 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
Like many artists from that era i love alot of her earlier work but from her later material it was very hit and miss. Her old hits such as one moment in time, all at once and i wanna dance with somebody still sound great today and will do for many a year to come.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:48 AM