BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Global Radio axing regional Capital, Heart and Smooth shows, The end of local commercial radio?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Feb 27 2019, 01:01 PM
Post #1
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

From RadioToday:

Global will broadcast national breakfast shows on the Capital, Heart and Smooth networks by the end of this year, RadioToday can reveal.

Capital will go first with the London output replacing 14 breakfast programmes on the Capital network in England, Scotland and Wales on April 8th. Due to deregulation and larger ‘approved areas’, only nine drivetime shows will be provided instead of the current 14.

New rules will mean the merger of Capital Brighton and South Coast (Meridian), the merger of Capital Birmingham and East Midlands (already a merger of stations in Leicester, Nottingham and Derby) (Central), and the merger of Capital Manchester and Lancashire – being created by rebranding its latest purchase, 2BR, on the same day (North West).

London, Liverpool, North East and Yorkshire will retain a local Drive show, along with Scotland and Wales. The rest of the output will be networked with local news, ads and information.

Heart will get a single breakfast show across England, Scotland and Wales on all stations owned by Global and Communicorp in the coming months – putting an end to the current line-up of 22 breakfast shows and their teams. And instead of 23 separate drivetime shows, there will be 10 covering the enlarged areas.

For Smooth, a new national breakfast show will launch later in the year, replacing breakfast programmes in East Midlands, West Midlands, North West, Lake District, North East, Scotland and Wales. Drivetime programmes will be reduced to seven with the expected merger of Smooth North West and Lake District, whilst Smooth East Midlands will network with Connect FM once it has been rebranded.

All local and regional weekend programmes on all brands will end with national programmes provided on all frequencies.

Global’s Founder & Executive President Ashley Tabor made the announcement to staff this morning in London and via video link to the rest of the company, along with plans to reduce their broadcast centres from 24 down to 14 – therefore closing 10 studio sites.

Merging the stations means fewer broadcast facilities are required, and RadioToday can bring you details of which sites will stay and which will remain:

The sites closing are:

Brighton
Cambridge
Chelmsford
Exeter
Gloucester
Kendal
Kent
Lancaster
Norwich
Swindon

The sites remaining are:

Birmingham
Bristol
Cardiff
Fareham
Glasgow
Leeds
Liverpool
London
Manchester
Milton Keynes
Nottingham – non-broadcast (except Communicorp)
Reading – non-broadcast
Newcastle
Wrexham

Today’s news is a huge step for the commercial radio sector, says Ashley Tabor. He explained to staff that whilst it would mean change, the ability to lead the commercial radio sector’s next huge step, and to properly compete with BBC Radio 1 & 2 at breakfast time, is a huge opportunity.

He told RadioToday: “Whilst the new deregulation will mean some significant changes at an operational level, these bold steps enable Global to lead the way in launching the UK’s three largest national commercial radio breakfast shows. We’re really excited to combine the best national talent with our unique ability to include great local content in network shows on Heart, Capital and Smooth.”

Local news and travel information will continue to air on a local licence level as per legislation requirements, but the news teams will see “refreshed structures” along with engineering and marketing.

As a direct result of this move, a large number of presenters and staff will no longer be required across the group. Those affected will be put at risk of redundancy, with some being transferred to other sites. An exact number of those being put at risk today are unknown but are expected to be over 100 people.

Communicorp stations using the Capital, Heart and Smooth brand under licence are also taking the new breakfast shows. Mark Lee, Chief Executive Officer, also held a company-wide meeting on Tuesday morning to explain the changes. He told RadioToday: “Since we launched Communicorp UK in 2014 we have operated our Heart, Capital and Smooth stations through a brand licence from Global radio. This has worked extremely well for us, delivering strong growth in audience and revenue.

“Competition from the BBC and digital services will intensify over the coming years and the new national breakfast shows will ensure we continue to be successful. Whilst I am always concerned about changes which impact on our team, it is important that we continue to evolve and grow.”

Deregulation means Global can provide three hours a day of local programmes during daytime hours, in return for an ‘enhanced local news’ service, which translates into at least one local story per original Ofcom licence area being broadcast during each bulletin.

The move will see the creation of the three largest commercial radio breakfast shows in the UK, with 4.8m at Heart, 3.7m at Capital and 2.7 million listeners for Smooth each week.

Admittedly, I tuned out of listening to Heart and/or Capital a good few years ago, but I do worry about the wider ramifications of this and what it'll mean for record companies trying to break new music to an audience outside of the national BBC stations, and I also feel for those losing their jobs in all of this and indeed the chances for those with dreams of trying to break into radio who've now got even less opportunity then before.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
coi
post Feb 27 2019, 02:54 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 73,240
   No Gallery Pics

Yes I read this story yesterday, it’s very sad news. The bosses at Global seem to have decided that no one wants local radio anymore and so loads of stations will lose their community feel with local presenters talking about things going on in the local area. I’m particularly worried about the effect this has on local radio as a whole as I believe the BBC article stated that the Bauer group are expected to follow suit. This will indeed have undesirable repercussions for a large amount of the radio industry as a lot of radio jobs are being lost.

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Feb 27 2019, 01:01 PM) *
Admittedly, I tuned out of listening to Heart and/or Capital a good few years ago, but I do worry about the wider ramifications of this and what it'll mean for record companies trying to break new music to an audience outside of the national BBC stations, and I also feel for those losing their jobs in all of this and indeed the chances for those with dreams of trying to break into radio who've now got even less opportunity then before.

This is the most heartbreaking bit of it all. The local presenters are going to have to look for a new job and that’s going to be tough competition for new people wanting to get into the industry. As a young person hoping to go into radio myself, this is a real setback.

+Quote Post
___∆___
post Feb 27 2019, 03:00 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 3,155

To be honest they had to do something to try and remain relevant and a commercial business - for many, me included Apple Muisc and Spotify is my radio station now and I’ve not listened to local or national radio for years.

+Quote Post
danG
post Feb 27 2019, 05:48 PM
Post #4
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

This is a bit of a shame but thanks to the convenience of streaming commercial radio is only going to keep declining so cutting their budget on multiple local shows makes business sense.

I think the next step may be having presenters do radio shows on streaming services. It can only be a matter of time before Global/Bauuer (and the BBC) try to tap into the streaming market as traditional radio declines.

+Quote Post
Brer
post Feb 27 2019, 05:55 PM
Post #5
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

QUOTE(danG @ Feb 27 2019, 05:48 PM) *
I think the next step may be having presenters do radio shows on streaming services. It can only be a matter of time before Global/Bauuer (and the BBC) try to tap into the streaming market as traditional radio declines.

This is a thing already isn't it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beats_1

+Quote Post
danG
post Feb 27 2019, 06:31 PM
Post #6
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I'm aware of Beats 1 but that's more American based. I mean the likes of capital letting you stream them on Spotify, which at the moment isn't a thing.

+Quote Post
gavindeejay
post Feb 27 2019, 07:40 PM
Post #7
Why do today, what you can do tomorrow?
Member No.: 7,645
   No Gallery Pics

88% of the population listen to radio every week down just 1% so radio listening's not declining that much. https://www.rajar.co.uk/docs/news/RAJAR_Dat...aphicQ42018.pdf

+Quote Post
AcerBen
post Feb 27 2019, 07:44 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 3,429
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(danG @ Feb 27 2019, 05:48 PM) *
This is a bit of a shame but thanks to the convenience of streaming commercial radio is only going to keep declining so cutting their budget on multiple local shows makes business sense.

The BBC will stick to BBC Sounds rather than link up with a commercial service, which probably wouldn't even be allowed. Traditional radio is holding up very well considering the competition anyway.

+Quote Post
Eric_Blob
post Feb 28 2019, 06:23 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 10,665
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Feb 27 2019, 01:01 PM) *
From RadioToday:

I actually don't think it will make much of a difference. As far as I know they were playing the same music, it was just the presenters and travel and news updates which were different (and I assume different adverts as well).

I'm not 100% sure but I remember years ago I used to check what they were all playing, and the different regional stations were playing the same songs in the same order, even during the peak driving hours.

+Quote Post
The Hit Parade
post Mar 2 2019, 11:53 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 18,521
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Feb 27 2019, 03:00 PM) *
To be honest they had to do something to try and remain relevant and a commercial business - for many, me included Apple Muisc and Spotify is my radio station now and I’ve not listened to local or national radio for years.

I get this, but I don't think that taking away the one thing radio can do that streaming services can't is actually going to improve that situation.

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post May 2 2019, 05:43 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,585

Amanda Holden and Jamie Theakston are the Heart presenters. The change goes live on June 3rd.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:42 PM