BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
21 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Ultimate Kylie package, RESULTS
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Padamic Tension
post 1st June 2019, 12:07 PM
Post #81
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Really love chocolate and its very underrated, expected it to do worse here though.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 1st June 2019, 07:50 PM
Post #82
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 632

Number 11 - Impossible Princess (Album) - 1,137 Points

Cover - 504 out of a possible 1,200
Album - 366 out of a possible 1,200
Song Selection - 267 out of a possible 1,200

What are your opinions ? too high ? too low ? lets discuss

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 2nd June 2019, 11:07 AM
Post #83
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Disappointed IP missed the top 10.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 2nd June 2019, 05:16 PM
Post #84
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Thought 'IP' would have done better considering how many Kylie fans has praised this and at how dark and dangerous it is, but maybe its that reason as to why so many were turned off by it. especially at the time in which it pretty much tanked her career and many thought that she was over, but thankfully things would turn around in a big way when the new decade comes round.

This has to be her most frank and shocking work of her career, and the long 2 year journey of self discovery leading to the making of this collection of songs. When ranking Kylie's albums I always struggle as to where to place this, as its something totally different to everything else she's done before and after, which makes this a very unique experience. So here are my views on each track.

Too Far
The opening track comes racing from nowhere and mixes crisp backbeats with a haunting piano progression and some beautiful strings, along with the Trip-Hop dance rhythm running throughout, creating something very intense and frenetic in tone. Kylie's deep vocals and spit-fire delivery during the verses and the dark, messed up lyrics coat this anti-epic adventure. Of course this is a definite standout moment and getting things off to a great start as well as giving us a great representation of the album. Maybe this would have made a better choice for the lead single, but maybe would have been a bit too risky to be a commercial success.

Cowboy Style
A funky western jam set against a backdrop of synth beats and naked keyboard tones and A single violin knits each chorus and verse together. This really shows Kylie's creativity to mix her style with a Country sound, making this a cracking and accomplished tune and dare I say it another album highlight.

Some Kind of Bliss
The lead single and one of the more pop/rock tracks on this album as well as giving us our first taste of IndieKylie, with some great guitar-filled anthem, layered with strings and trumpets. While I do like the upbeat feel of this, it doesn't really set the tone of what's to come upon its release, with its disappointing commercial performance that got this era off to a bad start with a lack of momentum. This probably should have stayed on the album as an okay album track.

Did It Again
The 2nd single now with its eastern music filled chorus, some aggressive guitar work and quirky and fun lyrics with Kylie battling different incarnations of herself. Her tone of annoyed anger in the lyrics really paints a story and let's not forget the brilliant music video which probably helped this perform much better than 'SKOB' on the charts. This is a really good track and a great single choice, especially on the production side, thanks to its much safer hands of 'Brothers In Rhythm'.

Breathe
Now we come to single #3 of the album now as this marks a return to the darker tones of the album, as this really makes you feel isolated and claustrophobic as you swim into its inner sanctum. Synthesiser's, keyboards, bass guitar and drums are all used excellently on this track, with its subtle nature that makes this a very sublime piece of music. Definitely one of Kylie's most underrated singles of her career, but on here it stands as something very special.

Say Hey
Simplistic in its execution and definitely one of the more sullen tracks on this album and not one of my personal faves, just feels a bit uninspired to me, Kylie's tone and the music which isn't cutting it. Well some people like it as they've named a forum after it.

Drunk
Fast paced Indie/Dance now with her vocals overlapping each other during the chorus and definitely gives off that dark trance vibe, with its deep and personal lyrical content and manic energy, hey the title says it all.

I Don't Need Anyone
Kylie showing her playful side now with this guitar laden track that has that very 90's Brit-Pop sound to it, in very much the same vein as 'SKOB', but despite its short length this feels a little out of place with its surroundings.

Jump
A very striking number with a slow drum beat melody that runs throughout and a quartet of strings that really elevates this to a higher place. Kylie's vocals really shine on here as well with such strength and passion, along with the gorgeous production makes this yet another great track.

Limbo
Guitars and high octane drum beats and a 70’s funkadelic tinge all makes for what's probably the most aggressive track on the album, along with its fast paced synth beat that enters after a high pitched chorus. Another stunning track and maybe another that would have made a better contender for the lead single.

Through The Years
The sad and brooding track that counters the fast paced nature of the previous tracks, and is placed perfectly here which sets up the next and final track. A another deep and personal song about her intense relationship with her ex, and Kylie expresses herself beautifully as she acknowledges the end of this once hopeful yet turbulent coming together of heart and mind.

Dreams
The album perfectly closes with yet another outstanding track, with superb production and more strings that compliment the emotion and drama of this soaring track, and therefore ending things with an almighty bang.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 2nd June 2019, 06:58 PM
Post #85
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I always like IP but it was such a risk that at the time didnt pay off at all as many thought it was over for kylie. Looking back it was almost the album that saved her career as it led to future golden eras.its def the album kylie herself needed to make for her to accept her place in the market and truly comfortably understand her fan's really wanted pop kylie.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 3rd June 2019, 02:47 PM
Post #86
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

Certainly a very important album for Kylie and a very personal album to her.
That said, would Impossible Princess Top the list of best album by Kylie herself.
I have always had an interest in how artists rate their own work and i would be very intrigued to see how Kylie would rank her own albums.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 3rd June 2019, 03:14 PM
Post #87
Group icon

My current ranking of Kylie's studio albums, my opinions change a lot so here goes...

1. Light Years
2. Fever
3. Golden
4. Rhythm of Love
5. Impossible Princess
6. Aphrodite
7. Enjoy Yourself
8. X
9. Kylie
10. Kylie Minogue
11. Let’s Get To It
12. Body Language
13. Kiss Me Once
14. Kylie Christmas

+Quote this post
pippa
post 3rd June 2019, 03:57 PM
Post #88
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I have listened to Kylie albums alot in the last few months so on my current rankings it would be:

01 Light Years
02 Enjoy Yourself
03 Rhythm of Love
04 Kylie
05 Aphrodite
06 Impossible Princess
07 Fever
08 X
09 Golden
10 Lets Get To It
11 Kylie Minogue
12 Body Language
13 Kylie Christmas
14 Kiss Me Once

The Top 9 can generally move around a place or 2 but Lights Years is unbeatable for Number 1.
Kiss Me Once securely holds bottom position.

+Quote this post
aeroco
post 3rd June 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #89
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 2,392

Here’s my studio albums rate:

1. X - lead single should have been The One or Like a Drug. Superb album.
2. Impossible Princess - classy album that sounds fresh 22 years later but the lead single was totally wrong.
....I’ll sell a kidney for these two ^ on vinyl

3. Aphrodite - cohesive Dance Kylie album with All The Lovers a masterpiece.
4. Golden - cohesive and quality all the way, Dancing a gem of a track.
5. Light Years - pop comeback, such a fun listen.
6. Fever - fabulous singles but a little austere and definitely dated.
7. Body Language - has its fun moments but a bit too trend chasing though Slow another masterpiece.
8. Kylie Minogue - tries a bit too hard to be mature but Confide in Me a career highlight.
9. Kiss Me Once - Like Body Language but not as strong. Into the Blue and Les Sex are ace.
10. Lets Get To It - most cohesive and mature PWL album but lacks a killer hit.
11. Rhythm of Love - too try hard except of course for the 4 brilliant singles.
12. Kylie Christmas - a fun listen, too many covers let it down. Love the gloriously squeaky At Christmas.
13. Enjoy Yourself - less dated than Kylie and a little less childish. Never Too Late would be even better if produced by the Pet Shop Boys.
14. Kylie - just so dated but it was perfect for 1988.

This post has been edited by aeroco: 3rd June 2019, 08:50 PM

+Quote this post
pippa
post 3rd June 2019, 08:07 PM
Post #90
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Kiss Me Once getting a higher rating than Rhythm of Love is surprising to read.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 3rd June 2019, 11:22 PM
Post #91
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Shocking more than surprising for me.

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 4th June 2019, 10:03 PM
Post #92
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 632

Number 49 - Come into my world - 446 Points

Cover - 229 out of a possible 500
Video - 146 out of a possible 500
Song - 71 out of a possible 500

What are your opinions ? too high ? too low ? lets discuss

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 4th June 2019, 11:24 PM
Post #93
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I like come into my world, at the time I thought it was the wrong choice for 4th single but now I know it was the right choice.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 5th June 2019, 12:40 AM
Post #94
Group icon

Firstly on 'Chocolate', never been that keen on it and didn't find it a great 3rd single choice, the vocals are way too breathy, and the song is a bit slow for me to enjoy. My choices for 3rd single would have been 'Secret (Take You Home)' or maybe 'Promises', and then have 'Chocolate' as the 4th.

'Come Into My World' - I agree with 'Feel The Fever', at the time I didn't think it was a strong single choice (I wanted 'Fever' at the time), but looking back that would have been totally wrong and disrupted the sophisticated flow run of singles from this album, and 'CIMW' totally grew on me and has aged really well, more so in its single version, even in its original form it pops, definitely her best run since 'ROL'.

Everything from 'Fever' was amazing, the promo, music videos, the looks and etc.... My slight criticism is that we didn't get more singles, either 'Love Affair' or 'Burning Up' would have been perfect 5th single choices. But as it was this era was just perfect anyway.

+Quote this post
Red Blooded Man
post 5th June 2019, 05:40 AM
Post #95
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 822

The Fischerspooner Mix was the best remix I've ever heard until Summertime Sadness came along.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 5th June 2019, 12:28 PM
Post #96
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I think many of us wanted fever as the 4th single and while I do think it would have easily gone top 10 it's a song that sounds very dated now where CIMW doesnt.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 5th June 2019, 02:07 PM
Post #97
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Fever was very popular during the Fever era and like others i thought it had great potential for the 4th single.
Also like others have since said, the record company made the right decision.
That said, Fever could have benefited from some wonderful remixes.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 5th June 2019, 06:39 PM
Post #98
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Impossible Princess is an important album in Kylie's career, proving what she was capable of creatively and displaying her willingness to experiment. It may have been one of her least successful albums commercially but it was a pivotal moment and plays a part in Kylie's endurance and longevity.

For me, it still ranks as lower down my Kylie album rank. I just have a lack of personal connection to the album; it's yet to move me in the way it's designed to do and I just prefer Kylie's music with a bit more warmth. I do like the flow of the album though. You've got drastically genre-changing tracks but I feel like there's always hints of the preceding tracks as the album progresses which helps hold it together. It's strange but it just works.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 6th June 2019, 02:09 AM
Post #99
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

It's the misfit among her albums but at the same time works.It was a career saver in some sense in Australia and in the UK it was almost a career ender.But it's one of her most important albums overall as it showed more than ever that kylie was far far away from a one trick poney.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 6th June 2019, 01:36 PM
Post #100
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Impossible Princess earned Kylie musical respect from areas that previously overlooked her.
The album showed how versatile Kylie is and really highlighted her total lack of fear in experimenting.
Like others, i agree it is a very important album from Kylie, but it signaled she had hit a crossroads in her career and led her to her return to pop where her fans by large wanted her.

+Quote this post

21 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 07:52 AM