BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Immigrant, Marion Cotillard & Joaquin Phoenix & Jeremy Renner
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Insomnio
post Aug 4 2014, 09:20 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,742
   No Gallery Pics

I watched this movie at the cinema today. I didn't know many things about the plot but the cast was the main reason to watch it. Marion Cotillard is a great actress and she totally deserved the Oscar for her performance in "La vie en rose". Joaquin Phoenix with Jeremy Renner also star in this film. The first actor was nominated three times for the Oscar Award (Gladiator, Walk The Line and The Master) and the latter actor was nominated for his performance in "The Hurt Locker" five years ago and his performance in "The Town" three years ago. The Immigrant was nominated for the "Palme d'Or" at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival and it was screened at many Americal festivals in the last few months (2013 New York Film Festival, 2013 Chicago International Film Festival, 2014 Miami International Film Festival, 2014 Newport Beach International Film Festival and 2014 Sedona Film Festival). It received positive reviews from critics but I really didn't like it..
This movie reminded me of black and white Greek drama films of the 50's and 60's (One of the producers is American-Greek). I could never imagine that I would watch this kind of film made in the Usa. It has tears, misery, diseases, exploitation, bad luck, inhuman behaviour, praises to God, Madonna and Jesus etc. James Gray is the director of the movie. I have watched two of his films in the past. They were "The Yards" and "Two Lovers". The latter was miserable and depressing too. I realised that James Gray likes to direct these kinds of films. His new movie has also many dark scenes and the gros plan of sorrowful Marion didn't help the whole situation. Luckily, we watched it an outdoor cinema otherwise we would have become catatonic..The scipt was full of clichés and the acting couldn't be better. Only the cinematography and the art direction were good but the total result literally overshadowed them. I couldn't help but wonder why the producers wanted to sponsor this film. It didn't add antything new to our knowledge and we watched the groundbreaking "12 Years a Slave" recently. All we know that immigrants are exploited by bad/stupid people and only few people can do something for them (Especially organizations for human rights). However, I wouldn't say that her life of Ewa Cybulska worth a watch at the cinema. It was the definition of "desperation".
The Immigrant didn't impress me like critics and I didn't expect it to be so melodramatic. It seems that it will not overcome its budget although it's quite low. I think that people have already watched so many sob-stories at the cinema (or tv) and "The Immigrant" wouldn't make a difference to them. I believe that only old people will like this movie because it's too dated and the immigrants who suffered/suffer from exploitation (emotionally connected with the character of Ewa). I love Marion Cotillard but she perplexed me with this choice..

This post has been edited by Insomnio: Aug 4 2014, 09:38 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Regina
post Aug 4 2014, 09:25 PM
Post #2
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

Jeremy was also nominated for The Hurt Locker. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Insomnio
post Aug 4 2014, 09:29 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,742
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Regina @ Aug 5 2014, 12:25 AM) *
Jeremy was also nominated for The Hurt Locker. tongue.gif

Really? I didn't remember it and I watched that film. I will correct it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 07:07 AM