BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> Spiceworld - Album Survivor, Round 3
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Spiceworld
Vote for your least favourite song:
Spice Up Your Life [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Stop [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Too Much [ 2 ] ** [6.67%]
Saturday Night Divas [ 2 ] ** [6.67%]
Never Give Up on the Good Times [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Move Over [ 6 ] ** [20.00%]
Step to Me [ 14 ] ** [46.67%]
Do It [ 5 ] ** [16.67%]
Viva Forever [ 1 ] ** [3.33%]
Total votes: 30

-Jay-
post Mar 21 2020, 04:03 AM
Post #1
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Results So Far:
10th - The Lady Is a Vamp [Round 2 / 10 votes out of 26]
11th - Denying [Round 1 / 9 votes out of 28]

Please vote for your least favourite song in the poll!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JaneJ
post Mar 21 2020, 05:00 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 88,953
Step to Me

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Mar 21 2020, 09:59 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587
The amount of hate towards Step To Me when Do It and Saturday Night Divas are right there in our faces rolleyes.gif

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post Mar 21 2020, 10:18 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 95,682
Saturday Night Divas is class. Vicky B and Mel C voices 💕

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Mar 21 2020, 10:46 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Mar 21 2020, 09:59 AM) *
The amount of hate towards Step To Me when Do It and Saturday Night Divas are right there in our faces rolleyes.gif

Leave Do It and SND alone!!! 🤬

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post Mar 21 2020, 11:15 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551
Do It. It works really nicely as background music in Spice World The Movie. But it's definitely only an album track. Whereas, for me, all the others remaining had single potential.

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post Mar 21 2020, 11:30 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574
Sad to see The Lady is a Vamp gone it's such a classic and especially comes alive on tour.

I think I see it and If U Cant Dance as their two big iconic non single tour tracks.

Move Over again

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Mar 21 2020, 11:31 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Mar 21 2020, 10:46 AM) *
Leave Do It and SND alone!!! 🤬

Listen, I am not here to shit on those songs. Both have their merits - specially Saturday Night Divas - and both are great album tracks.

BUT you know very well that Do It is a paint-by-the-numbers pop song that is the very definition of 'Spice mediocricy' and could have been sung by pretty much ANY other band of that time (and in fact, Atomic Kitten did various similar songs). Saturday Night Divas deserved to be performed on every single tour they have ever done with Victoria included and it totally could have been included in the last tour. It's a gorgeous, slick track that deserves all the love it can get and it doesnt get that much love from the group.

Step To Me is true Spice Girls, through and through. You couldnt have anyone else do that song and sound original like them. It has clever lyrics, an amazing rap and they all sound great on it. Overall, one of their best and the live performances elevated it even more and it was a MESS that it wasnt performed on both the Return and the Spice World 2019 tours, nor the Wembley leg of the Spiceworld tour in 1998.

Justice for Step To Me. A song that doesnt deserve the lack of taste in this forum!

This post has been edited by Mr.X: Mar 21 2020, 11:34 AM

+Quote this post
vibe
post Mar 21 2020, 12:20 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
Move over

+Quote this post
dachiki
post Mar 21 2020, 01:39 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 78,056
Saturday night divas

+Quote this post
JaneJ
post Mar 21 2020, 01:55 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Mar 21 2020, 06:31 PM) *
Listen, I am not here to shit on those songs. Both have their merits - specially Saturday Night Divas - and both are great album tracks.

BUT you know very well that Do It is a paint-by-the-numbers pop song that is the very definition of 'Spice mediocricy' and could have been sung by pretty much ANY other band of that time (and in fact, Atomic Kitten did various similar songs). Saturday Night Divas deserved to be performed on every single tour they have ever done with Victoria included and it totally could have been included in the last tour. It's a gorgeous, slick track that deserves all the love it can get and it doesnt get that much love from the group.

Step To Me is true Spice Girls, through and through. You couldnt have anyone else do that song and sound original like them. It has clever lyrics, an amazing rap and they all sound great on it. Overall, one of their best and the live performances elevated it even more and it was a MESS that it wasnt performed on both the Return and the Spice World 2019 tours, nor the Wembley leg of the Spiceworld tour in 1998.

Justice for Step To Me. A song that doesnt deserve the lack of taste in this forum!

I don't hate it just like it a little less, Step to Me lacks memorable melodies. Do it, just the first note, it pulled you right in and Saturday Night Divas is a superior spice song. whip.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Mar 21 2020, 03:03 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Move Over

Very tough now though.

Ngl though, depending on how this plays out, I don't think it'll be too long before I target 'Too Much' *eyes*

+Quote this post
Jade
post Mar 21 2020, 03:04 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
This is getting tough already laugh.gif went for 'Move Over'!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Mar 21 2020, 03:17 PM
Post #14
Group icon
I think Do It is very Spice Girls ohmy.gif Not in the same style as the likes of Wannabe and Step to Me which are very brash and in your face songs. However the message of Do It absolutely represented another facet of the group: to be empowering & encouraging - be who you want to be, go for it. I'm not sure if any other girl group up to that point was putting that sort of message into their lyrics.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Mar 21 2020, 04:09 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Mar 21 2020, 11:31 AM) *

You did NOT just call Do It a paint-by-the-numbers pop song cry.gif ohmy.gif

It is incredible and was a clear contender for a single release from that album, the lyrics are empowering, the tune is rocking, Melanie'c vocals are just wub.gif

I do agree re Step to me it's an incredible song and very very Spice, Mel's rap is wub.gif , but I am going to seriously struggle to vote any after it goes as the only reason I'm voting for it is because I don't view it as a Spiceworld track laugh.gif

EVERY song on Spiceworld is 11/10 and is the definition of utter amazing girlband pop wub.gif

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Mar 21 2020, 04:45 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Mar 21 2020, 03:17 PM) *
I think Do It is very Spice Girls ohmy.gif Not in the same style as the likes of Wannabe and Step to Me which are very brash and in your face songs. However the message of Do It absolutely represented another facet of the group: to be empowering & encouraging - be who you want to be, go for it. I'm not sure if any other girl group up to that point was putting that sort of message into their lyrics.

Message wise yes, but the song could have been sang by anyone else. Atomic Kitten spring to mind, for example. Steps as well. Damn, even GirlThing (remember them?!) There were loads of self-positive songs around at the time though....

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Mar 21 2020, 04:09 PM) *
You did NOT just call Do It a paint-by-the-numbers pop song cry.gif ohmy.gif

It is incredible and was a clear contender for a single release from that album, the lyrics are empowering, the tune is rocking, Melanie'c vocals are just wub.gif

I do agree re Step to me it's an incredible song and very very Spice, Mel's rap is wub.gif , but I am going to seriously struggle to vote any after it goes as the only reason I'm voting for it is because I don't view it as a Spiceworld track laugh.gif

EVERY song on Spiceworld is 11/10 and is the definition of utter amazing girlband pop wub.gif

Also, voting for Step To Me because you don't see it as a Spiceworld song, is wrong. It is a Spiceworld song because it was released alongside it (in Japan!). You should be voting on the collection of songs that belong to Spiceworld, not just the ones above that *your* copy of Spiceworld has cool.gif

Also, Do It is not an awful song. It is just mediocre when you have such amazing tracks like Step To Me and Move Over right there!

This post has been edited by Mr.X: Mar 21 2020, 04:47 PM

+Quote this post
JaneJ
post Mar 21 2020, 05:25 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
I am sorry but no one can sing spice girls songs like the Spice Girls. It's not just their distinctive persalnaliites that blend so well but also their vocals. cool.gif

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Mar 21 2020, 05:29 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
Voted Too Much it is my least favourite single.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Mar 21 2020, 06:01 PM
Post #19
Group icon
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Mar 21 2020, 04:45 PM) *
Message wise yes, but the song could have been sang by anyone else. Atomic Kitten spring to mind, for example. Steps as well. Damn, even GirlThing (remember them?!) There were loads of self-positive songs around at the time though....

It's worth noting that those artists you've listed all came after the Spice Girls, and it could be argued that a song like Do It had a bit of an influence on pop music that came afterwards. So maybe in that sense it went on to be a song that could be recorded by other acts. However, when Do It was brand new, I think it would have been quite fresh in the context of the pop music landscape up to that point in time.

Atomic Kitten and Girl Thing were created with it in mind for them to be "the next Spice Girls", I suppose that's why some Spice Girls music seems like others could do it, because others really tried to emulate it. Funnily enough Atomic Kitten only really became popular when they became more bland in their approach (no disrespect, I actually really liked Atomic Kitten, but the group they went on to become was pretty far away from having a Spice Girls vibe).

When it comes to acts around at the same time as Spice Girls, and prior to them, I can't really think of anybody that Do It would suit. All the boy bands were mainly limited to romantic themed songs, regardless of whether they were in the form of ballads or bops. Eternal and All Saints were extremely far removed from a song like Do It. Well, Eternal's Power of a Woman comes to mind as an empowering song, but lyrically it's more in terms of a woman knowing her worth, agency and the power of her sexuality, in regards to men. Spice Girls definitely had songs like that too, but Do It veers away from that particular theme and is more about a person's self-confidence in any respect.

To cut a long story short, I really believe that Do It is intrinsically Spice Girls through and through!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Mar 21 2020, 06:32 PM
Post #20
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
'Step To Me'

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:21 AM