BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 1974 Radio One All-Time Top 100, As voted for by listeners in 1974
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post Jun 19 2021, 03:12 PM
Post #61
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

60. FERRY CROSS THE MERSEY - Gerry & The Pacemakers (1965)

This Youtube video from Top Of The Pops, that's how I saw Gerry and the lads from '63 to '66 when Liverpool ruled the pop world and Gerry was a local legend. I know, cos my grandma lived in Liverpool and so did my brother, mum and me when dad was off in Aden in 1966. Going on the ferry across the Mersey to Birkenhead or New Brighton was an actual thing in those days - not any more, though, the big ships are gone and there's a tourist boat dwarfed by visiting supersized-ocean-liners filled with Merseybeat tourists. Plus side, the abject poverty is also somewhat in the past too. Anyways, Gerry's 2nd fab ballad didn't top the charts, but it did do it for Gerry, Paul McCartney, The Christians in 1989 following the awful Hillsborough disaster which affected so many families, including one I know. I try not to associate the song with that though, I prefer the black & white more-innocent images of Gerry & 60's Merseyside trips over the river with my grandma & mum & brother, and I still love the record. I don't think I'm giving much away to let slip there's another, Anfield, Pacemakers anthem still to come which is not quite the surprise that this one is being so high on the chart, outdoing 2 of their hat-trick of chart-toppers. Quite rightly, though.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 19 2021, 03:25 PM
Post #62
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

59. DECK OF CARDS - Wink Martindale (1959)

You won't know this one unless you were around in 1973. This War Story "song" about a trooper getting caught playing cards first came out in 1959 and was a huge hit for the Post-WW2 generation who loved Country music and where religion was still a thing. My parents loved it and bought the bloody thing in 1973 when it was a hit all over again thanks to UK crooner Max Bygraves doing a cover version on his TV show and getting it into the charts. No disrespect to Much-loved Max, but he makes this sound pretty decent. And it's not. It is, however, why it's on the rundown - people had been buying it again and it was fresh in the mind but didn't fall foul of the 3-years-old rule. I've never liked it, it's not music. That's not an opinion, it LITERALLY isn't music. It's a sermon set to background non-descript guitar strumming and a choir going "aaaah" randomly. I hated it then, and I hate it still, cos "I know - I WAS that soldier!" Spoiler alert!

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 19 2021, 03:48 PM
Post #63
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

58. DAYDREAM BELIEVER - The Monkees (1967)

From the ridiculous to the sublime, at 58 it's the first Boyband, the musicians and actors who got the roles in a music sitcom as as proto-Fab Four, with zany Marx Brothers antics, continuing where Dick Lester's A Hard Days Night movie had started stylistically. The Beatles were totally fine with The Monkees, unlike the British press then and snooty organisations like the Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame who still refuse to see them for what they are - bonafide musicians and singers who seized creative control of their own musical destiny, wrote their own fab material and who also had songs from the best songwriters of the time gifted to them, from Carole King to Harry Nilsson. And this John Stewart song, that has proven itself to be an eternal anthem up to the present day, charting again in the 80's twice, been covered numerous times, and still a guaranteed pub singalong, radio staple or rock stadium anthem. Brit and heart-throb Davy Jones took lead vocal on this one, the only entry from the band on the list - not even the fab I'm A Believer chart-topper made the rundown. I'll come clean I loved The Monkees in the 60's, I adored them still in 1974, and for every year of my life since. They influenced many bands of the 70's and 80's, their back catalogue is amazing for what was essentially just 3 years and then break-up, I've seen them 3 times on tour, including the original 4 all together, and shortly after Davy's sudden death they released a great album of new material written by veteran big name fans who grew up on them. I don't begrudge this being the song on the list, much as I might love so many of their records, because it is far and away their most-popular track, and it's unthinkable that it wouldn't feature in any Top 100 of the era, popular or critical. Michael Nesmith, by the way, had a successful solo career before and after The Monkees, and errr was involved in setting up this thing called MTV in the 80's having dabbled with the format in his solo stuff. Mickey Dolenz I last saw dancing with Michael Ball in drag in Hairspray in Wimbledon Theatre, and has just released an album of Nesmith covers.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 19 2021, 04:07 PM
Post #64
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

57. UNCHAINED MELODY - The Righteous Brothers (1965)

Hands-up who doesn't think of "Ghost"...? Thought not. yet back in 1974 this definitive cover of the song that had topped the UK charts twice in the 50's seemed to me to be a bit of a puzzle to be on the list. It hadn't been a huge hit in 1965, but it had "soul" (albeit blue-eyed soul) that earlier versions lacked, and clearly it was and still is a million miles better than the other chart-topping versions of the song that come along once a decade on average, most of them abysmal, just not worthy. No other versions comes close, but back then although I knew the song, I wasn't that aware of it. Certainly not like another chart-topper that will crop up much later in the list. The 1990 film Ghost changed all that of course, and it's still popular now on radio stations that don't always dip into the 60's cos it's seen as a 90's hit. Oddly, it's not really a Righteous Brothers hit - Bill Medley isn't even on it! Bobby Hatfield sings the song, Phil Spector produced it, and the combination created magic. Don;t feel sorry for Bill, though, his moment in Rock immortality is ensured, and he also did the theme to Dirty Dancing to boot. He's had the Time Of His Life, and will be back - but where on the rundown exactly...?! I've commented that a lot of the tracks on this list became hits again, or at least re-issued again, after this rundown - but Unchained melody wasn't one of them. It had to wait 16 years for it's chance to finally top the charts and become the biggest-selling record of 1990 in the UK.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 19 2021, 04:24 PM
Post #65
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

56. HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN - The Animals (1964)

Hands up who's never heard a street-busker sing this? Thought so. It may not be as popular with those Ed Sheeran street-crooners nor as popular as it used to be, but it still crops up out and about, and I'd still call this song "famous" and a "rock classic". It seems like an old folk song - because it most likely has very old folk roots - but was first written in this version in 1925 and adapted by producer Mickie Most and the band in 1964, in a literal electric performance: folk turned into folk-rock-blues by the Newcastle-based band, Alan Price on keyboard, and Eric Burden's distinctive "blue-eyed-soul" vocal performance. I don't really remember not knowing this song, but it was never what I would call a fave, not even after it had been reissued in 1972 in the UK and become a hit again. I liked it well enough, and again in the 80's when it hit yet again, but my appreciation has grown with time. It is on the list because it's a great recording, and it remains a great recording, still powerful. It also did away with the 2 to 3-minute pop song. In the UK. It's an epic and it needed to be heard in it's entire 4 and a half minutes. Not in the USA though, chopping it down to 3. What?! Outrageous! It's still recognised as a keystone of the rock era, though, despite best efforts to turn it into a 3-minute quickie to squeeze in more adverts.

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Jun 19 2021, 06:10 PM
Post #66
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

I absolutely love Deck Of Cards. Great song.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 21 2021, 02:57 PM
Post #67
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(common sense @ Jun 19 2021, 07:10 PM) *
I absolutely love Deck Of Cards. Great song.

Hi Chris, you'd enjoy chatting to my dad about it then - mum and dad both love it smile.gif If I were to put it on now mum would burst into floods of tears.

I'm a bit surprised you go for it as you were a bit on the young side in 1973, more Slade, Wizzard, T.Rex, Sweet in those days smile.gif

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 21 2021, 03:11 PM
Post #68
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

55. SUSPICIOUS MINDS - Elvis Presley (1969)

He's back again, arguably The King's last great classic, and probably his most popular record these days. No quibbles, this would be in any Top 100 of the period - if not of All-Time. By 1968 Elvis had been reduced to crappy movies and trashy singles taken from the soundtracks, and give or take Viva Las Vegas had been purveying pap for 4 years, damaging his reputation. So, cue the TV Comeback Special, dressed in leather, and a second-coming of great soul-gospel influenced pop, notably If I Can Dream, the brilliant In The Ghetto (which should be on the rundown, but isn't - the second vinyl single I ever bought in 1969), it's great B side Any Day Now, and then this to top it off. Having established his credibility again, Elvis decided to cash-in, headline Vegas and bung out live covers of old songs for the next 2 years, en route to Fat Elvis and an early death, in hindsight a mega-successful money-spinning career-move. Anyone called "Elvis" or "Presley" would meet with fame and/or success for the rest of the century. That's not to say that EVERYTHING he did afterwards was bad (most of it was, though) as there were the odd gems, like his forgotten ballad I'm Leavin' from 1971, the rocking Burning Love in 1972, and his swan song Way Down. But they ain't no Suspicious Minds!

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 21 2021, 03:30 PM
Post #69
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

54. RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH - Ike & Tina Turner (1966)

Masterpiece! No messin' around this is genius. It was genius in 1966, in 1974 when people voted for it, and in 2021 it's still genius. It's a Phil Spector epic production, as they all were, but this is taking funk/blues and taking on the challenge to turn it into an epic with sweeping strings, wall-of-sound, and one of the great Rock-era vocal performances from Tina, who lives the song and then some. This is the one that shocked Spector to the core by flopping in the US. Radio didn't like the length and ambition, but in the UK that wasn't a problem when we had pirate radio stations on ships at sea playing whatever the hell they wanted. If the government refused to give young people a radio station, the pirates stepped in nicely, until the Government gave in to the inevitable and created a more family-friendly controlled BBC Radio 1. The US was clearly mad, and Spector retired in a strop pretty much and was never as interesting again. Ike & Tina sadly weren't eligible for Tina's own song, the almost-as-brilliant Nutbush City Limits to be on the list, as it was only just out of the charts, but Tina became an 80's superstar in any case. The song became a standard, written by Spector (it says on the label) but mostly I suspect Jeff Barry & Ellie Greenwich. Jeff Barry has another 2 on the rundown, Spector has already had 3 productions, and just to note how crucial the production is, the song was succesfully covered by others, indeed The Supremes and The Four Tops had the big US hit version of it. Two of the great Motown acts together, and it just isn't close to the original. I liked the song in the 60's (it was a hit again in 1969), but certainly didn't appreciate it properly until I was well into in my 20's, and time since has just confirmed how great it is.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 21 2021, 03:43 PM
Post #70
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

53. ONLY YOU - The Platters (1955)

One of the oldest recordings on the countdown, and a standard by 1974 (Ringo Starr had a hit with a cover later that year), The Platters were quietly successful and influential on the music biz, and genuinely one of the greats of the 50's - although you won't find them quoted with the same reverence as Berry, Little Richard, Elvis, Everley's, or Holly. TBH it sounded a bit dated by the time of the poll, but they still retained enough older support to feature this high, and Ringo wasn't the only one to cover their hits (Freddie Mercury did The Great Pretender, Bryan Ferry Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, Righteous Brothers Ebb Tide, and Twilight Time is still waiting for it's turn to be revived). Again, my parents were big fans, so I knew the bigger songs in the 70's, although by then I had my own pop idols to prefer, but I still quite like them. I doubt, though, that anything they did would stand a chance of making any run-down of the top tracks of the 50's and 60's as they belong more to an earlier Big-band era stylistically than Rock era, and that style of crooning went out of fashion into the 60's.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 21 2021, 03:59 PM
Post #71
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

52. HALFWAY TO PARADISE - Billy Fury (1961)

Billy was a UK sensation in the early 60's and was my first fave male pop star along with Adam Faith, another TV regular of the period, or as my mum used to say (she also liked them both) I insisted on calling him Billy Floory as I couldn't quite get his name right. To be honest I remember very few of his records (I was 2, 3, 4 years old in his heyday) but I do remember being a fan, and rediscovering him as I got older. Especially this cover of the Tony Orlando US hit, his signature song. Billy's is the definitive version, which is not something you would naturally think would be a thing in the 60's - but it's surprising how well the arrangers managed to improve on the more teen pop ditties, amking them a bit more substantial. Billy was cool. He still is, He died young, after living with a heart condition, was a Merseyside star before The Beatles, and had a unique vocal style. The Smiths featured him on one of their singles covers. And he had a good-looking-rocker image, he wasn't just a crooner of pop. By 1974 the hits had stopped but Billy was starring in the hit movie That'll Be The Day with hot retro-50's glamrock star David Essex and Ringo Starr - so that wouldn't hurt his chances of being fresh in people's minds for polling. Dad had one of his singles (Colette, which Billy wrote) and I became a fan of A Wondrous Place in the 80's, but Halfway To Paradise remains the top tune. Tony Orlando got his own back - he grabbed the top slot twice by 1974 as part of Dawn, but neither of those made the list then or would now. Billy never peaked higher than 2 sadly, but at least he's on the rundown!

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 21 2021, 04:19 PM
Post #72
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

51. GROOVY KIND OF LOVE - The Mindbenders (1966)

I love this song. I love this record. It's very 1966, when everything was fab and groovy, and London's Carnaby Street was the centre of pop culture and fashion, and the record gives me strong, warm memories of being 8 years old and loving this song (of many songs). Music is tied to place and time for me, always has been, and we'd only just recently moved from suburban London to Liverpool rundown slums, which I think is pretty cool, sort of. At least musically, if nothing else. The Mindbenders were never huge, but they were fairly successful as Wayne Fontana And The Mindbenders before Wayne scarpered for a solo career, leaving the band to try it alone. So up popped this Carole Bayer-Sager/ Toni Wine song. Who? Only the co-writer of future biggies like When I Need You, Nobody Does It Better (Bond!) and her own hit You're Moving Out Today (Carole), and the female singer on a song coming up later (Toni) oh and yes she wrote Tony Orlando's Knock Three Times which topped the charts, as just mentioned!). Without Fontana, guitarist Eric Stewart took over lead singing, and hey presto a hit. Follow-up's were not as big, not even with teenage hit songwriter Graham Gouldman joining in 1968 - his Bus Stop for The Hollies, For Your Love (Yardbirds aka Eric Clapton) and No MIlk Today (Herman's Hermits all failed to make the list), but not to worry: Phil Collins finally took the track to the top spot in 1988, as a slow ballad taken from the Buster movie, and Eric & Graham became part of 10CC (also not on the list, as they were too recent) one of the great bands of the 70's who had 3 UK chart-toppers, one of which would be recognised as a major rock classic (I'm Not In Love). So it all worked out for them!

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Jun 26 2021, 02:39 PM
Post #73
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jun 5 2021, 05:04 PM) *
64. WHEREVER I LAY MY HAT (THAT'S MY HOME) - Marvin Gaye (1962)

OK, hands-up who was expecting this non-hit to be on the list? Me, neither. I'd never heard of it, being as it wasn't actually a hit, on the grounds it wasn't released until 1969, and then only as a B side. I'm assuming it was a cult Northern Soul success of sorts, but part of the reason I think voters probably had the option to vote for 3 tracks is the inclusion of obscure stuff like this that would appeal to fans of the monster classic still to come, and instead of spreading the votes about they went for the same artist. Paul Young's fabulous cover version was still 9 years in the future, and no disrespect to Marvin (who should have been on the list for What's Going On? alone, another UK flop, far and away Marvin Gaye's second-most-important track) but this is just not worthy. It's a B-side - the underlying song is great, but this version ain't. I could name 30 better Gaye recordings off the top of my head...

Love after watching the TOTP episodes from the 80s when you discover half the songs then were covers - this is another great version!

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Jun 26 2021, 02:40 PM
Post #74
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jun 19 2021, 05:24 PM) *
56. HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN - The Animals (1964)

Hands up who's never heard a street-busker sing this? Thought so. It may not be as popular with those Ed Sheeran street-crooners nor as popular as it used to be, but it still crops up out and about, and I'd still call this song "famous" and a "rock classic". It seems like an old folk song - because it most likely has very old folk roots - but was first written in this version in 1925 and adapted by producer Mickie Most and the band in 1964, in a literal electric performance: folk turned into folk-rock-blues by the Newcastle-based band, Alan Price on keyboard, and Eric Burden's distinctive "blue-eyed-soul" vocal performance. I don't really remember not knowing this song, but it was never what I would call a fave, not even after it had been reissued in 1972 in the UK and become a hit again. I liked it well enough, and again in the 80's when it hit yet again, but my appreciation has grown with time. It is on the list because it's a great recording, and it remains a great recording, still powerful. It also did away with the 2 to 3-minute pop song. In the UK. It's an epic and it needed to be heard in it's entire 4 and a half minutes. Not in the USA though, chopping it down to 3. What?! Outrageous! It's still recognised as a keystone of the rock era, though, despite best efforts to turn it into a 3-minute quickie to squeeze in more adverts.

One of my greatest songs of all time!

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 27 2021, 06:47 PM
Post #75
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(steve201 @ Jun 26 2021, 03:39 PM) *
Love after watching the TOTP episodes from the 80s when you discover half the songs then were covers - this is another great version!

Covers not so much the rage these days, but back in the chart day it was pretty common for singers to re-vamp their fave oldies biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 27 2021, 06:49 PM
Post #76
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(steve201 @ Jun 26 2021, 03:40 PM) *
One of my greatest songs of all time!

can't argue with that choice! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 3 2021, 01:28 PM
Post #77
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

50. DIANA - Paul Anka (1957)

One of the oldest songs in the top 50, Diana was written & sung by 15-year-old prodigy Paul Anka, and the million-selling single in the UK sounds very of it's time. It has a certain charm, but yeah lyrically it sounds like it was written by a 15-year-old. Paul improved as he went along, though, writing the lyrics to Frank Sinatra's signature song My Way and hitting the top of the US charts in 1974 again after a good 17-year run of hits with You're Having My Baby. Not to mention slots in films and TV dramas as an actor along the way, and more recently Put Your Head On My Shoulders getting sampled by Doja Cat on the terrific, if naughty, Freak. I'd never heard of this record until 1973 when it was being advertised on TV for a K-Tel or Ronco oldies Various Artists hits album, and the clip of the hook got on my nerves. I've never rated it much, but I'm guessing the TV advertising clip (and album sales) boosted its place in this list as it was fresh in some voters minds.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 3 2021, 01:38 PM
Post #78
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

49. ARE YOU LONESOME TONIGHT - Elvis Presley (1961)

He's back again. One of his ballad anthems, this one topped the UK chart in early 1961, and I can vouch that it was very popular with my parents generation. I loved a lot of Elvis records, but this one was more of a "quite like" for me, what with it's talking section, and morose pace. And then in 1982 came the posthumous "laughing version" of Elvis singing it live and cracking up at his female backing singers, which was a hit in the UK....and that was that, I've been done with the record ever since. I can enjoy a good Elvis tribute act doing it karaoke-style as an encore, but other than that I tend to avoid it these days. Listening to half of it for this exercise was enough, but people do love it, and that's why it's at 49...

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 3 2021, 01:53 PM
Post #79
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

48. WOODEN HEART - Elvis Presley (1961)

As featured in his G.I. Blues movie, and another monster seller for Elvis in 1961, this is one I loved as a kid. The clip above was on TV now and again, and the song was still a jukebox staple in the mid-60's and beyond, and for everyone is was a sort of fantasy version of his stint in Germany after he got drafted. It sounds very oom-pah Germanic in genre, and if anyone has ever been to a German beer bar abroad you can expect lots of much more oom-pah-pah jolly singalongs with cardigans and jumpers nearby (OK German bars of a certain-aged clientele, then). Fine by me, my very earliest memories are of living in Germany - 2 mildly traumatic incidents but let's not get negative, they would have been around 1960/61, so around the time of Wooden Heart, more or less. Plus, it has puppets. What kid doesn't love puppets? Only 2 more Elvis tracks on the list! One's not bad. One is not not bad.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 3 2021, 02:11 PM
Post #80
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

47. THE YOUNG ONES - Cliff Richard with The Shadows (1961)

From the Prime US Heart-throb to the Prime UK version, also in one of his films, chart-topping, and out in 1961. It's still sounding good to my ears, not least due to the twangy Shadows guitars and sweeping strings, 2 things that I approve of by and large. It was nice, it was very 1961, Cliff was barely into his 20's, and he was at the top of his commercial game. It was impossible to not be aware of Cliff in 60's British pop culture, he was a cornerstone of it, and an inspiration for others to follow where he led as a pseudo-rock'n'roll-based pop star. Credit where it's due, and even 1980's The Young Ones anarchic sit-com, destroying the song over the credits, and taking pot shots at the fab Rik Mayall's wanna-be-anarchist character worshipping Cliff and destroying his own credibility in the process, haven't harmed the underlying niceness of the song. It's also the most-popular Cliff track on the countdown, but overall I'll go with Miss You Nights, Devil Woman, We Don't Talk Anymore, Wired For Sound or All I Ask Of You, all post-1974, as top-notch Cliff.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:06 PM