BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Meghan Trainor - Lips Are Movin, 2nd single | 21st October (US), 19th January (UK)
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post Aug 21 2014, 07:27 PM
Post #1
c:
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,692

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLaAU-uG2Xs

Meghan Trainor's follow up to worldwide hit All About That Bass is called Dear Future Husband. Here's a live clip of the lady herself singing the song live, a studio version is yet to appear. Could it be another big hit or is she turning into a joke act?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Aug 21 2014, 07:29 PM
Post #2
Bitch of t seet
Member No.: 16,660

This is better than the thin-shaming first single but I'm not quite sure about it

+Quote Post
Dane
post Aug 21 2014, 07:39 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 10,281
   No Gallery Pics

I personally love her, incredible talents. The time to her voice is just heavenly! Hoping this can have some success & we get an album from her. She's sucha. Lovely girl from what I've seen in interviews. smile.gif wub.gif

+Quote Post
jark
post Aug 21 2014, 07:55 PM
Post #4
something you consider rare
Member No.: 2,990

QUOTE(*Tim @ Aug 21 2014, 08:29 PM) *
This is better than the thin-shaming first single but I'm not quite sure about it

Thin shaming? Don't be ridiculous.

Not sure why they airbrush her skinny in promo pics though. Kind of defeats everything she's about.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Aug 21 2014, 09:44 PM
Post #5
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

Does this sample Olly Murs 'Dance With Me Tonight'? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Umi
post Aug 22 2014, 01:12 AM
Post #6
All I See br29
Member No.: 14,659
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jark @ Aug 21 2014, 08:55 PM) *
Thin shaming? Don't be ridiculous.

Not sure why they airbrush her skinny in promo pics though. Kind of defeats everything she's about.

I actually agree with Tim on his assessment, the song may want to be a "it's ok to not be thin!" anthem but it actually comes out more like "f*** you skinny girls nobody wants you anyway" and I don't think that's a very healthy message. Not to mention the video where a morbidly obese man is shown dancing happily is really really missing the mark: you don't need to be skinny to be happy but being massively overweight is not a thing anyone should be proud of. People shouldn't care about how their weight affects their appearance too much but when you're trying to fight an obesity epidemic this sort of stuff isn't helpful.

The song essentially says "it's OK to be fat" but it really isn't. Being an unhealthy weight in either extreme is something that should not be supported and the "stick thin" thing being IN has been demonised so much that it's long gone. I would hazard a guess at the majority of people feeling empowered to not lose weight by this woman actually being in dire need of doing so.

Honestly it's a rather nasty and manipulative song. It tries to empower overweight people by turning the tables and mocking those of a healthy weight. Totally the wrong message, if you want to create a song about self-empowerment then stick to 'Firework' type of songs rather than creating a song that decides the best way to combat bullying of fat kids is to make skinny people feel bad.

+Quote Post
Envoirment
post Aug 22 2014, 11:43 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 10,030
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Aug 21 2014, 10:44 PM) *
Does this sample Olly Murs 'Dance With Me Tonight'? ohmy.gif

Exactly what I thought when I heard it! I swear it's almost exactly the same. laugh.gif I was waiting for the "oo oo oh baby" bit to come in at some points. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
celestialsteed
post Aug 22 2014, 08:26 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 12,141
   No Gallery Pics

LOL @ thin shaming. That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard on this forum. I'm saying this as a quite skinny bitch.

It's very clear from the lyrics that it's said in jest (even she explains it in an interview she is talking about her friends who aren't actually fat, but they keep saying they are).

I would say people who are crying "thin-shaming" are on the same level as men's rights activist, people calling for straight pride parades, and "why isn't there a white history month??" Look at yourselves. I know it's hard to stomach a successful young lady, who doesn't fit the beauty standards and not afraid to talk about it, but try.

Slay, Meghan! This is a bop too. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Umi
post Aug 22 2014, 08:29 PM
Post #9
All I See br29
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(celestialsteed @ Aug 22 2014, 09:26 PM) *
I would say people who are crying "thin-shaming" are on the same level as men's rights activist, people calling for straight pride parades, and "why isn't there a white history month??" Look at yourselves. I know it's hard to stomach a successful young lady, who doesn't fit the beauty standards and not afraid to talk about it, but try.

Yeah, thin-shaming is ridiculous but these sort of accusations aren't. Maybe try using a substantial argument before you resort to insulting those who disagree with you in future?

+Quote Post
jark
post Aug 22 2014, 08:33 PM
Post #10

Celestial is entirely right. You can't thin shame. Thin people are a vast majority, at least in the entertainment business. People are always looking to take offence these days, it's so boring.

+Quote Post
Umi
post Aug 22 2014, 08:41 PM
Post #11
All I See br29
   No Gallery Pics

It is entirely possible to thin shame? If you think it's not possible to be bullied about being thin or be insecure about body sizes that aren't fat then you really do not know what you're talking about. Jesus, I can understand disagreeing with my post but comparisons to "straight pride" campaigners is one of the most offensive things I've ever read on this forum and I'm almost inclined to warn that person over it. Skinny people are not the majority? Perhaps people of a healthy weight are (that's debatable) but regardless of how fashionable being thin was a few years back, it's not at all comparible to ridiculousness such as "straight pride".

I would strongly suggest you read what I posted on the matter because it was not even a matter of being offended by the song. I just think virtually everything it promotes is terribly unhealthy, whether it be "being obese is ok!", "f*** those skinny girls nobody wants them anyway" or "don't worry, YOU being 30 stone isn't the problem, it's the people that AREN'T overweight that should change!!".

+Quote Post
celestialsteed
post Aug 22 2014, 08:43 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Climber
   No Gallery Pics

Yep, thin people face absolutely no disadvantage for their weight. When you say to someone "you look thin" that's a compliment. On the other hand: "you look fat" is a very often used insult, aiming to ridicule and bring people down. There is no such thing as thin-shaming.
And I cannot think of why people would say that, unless for the reasons I mentioned. *shrug*

But to be honest, whether calling someone thin or fat, it's all about judging women appearances, which is the deeper issue in this inherently sexist society.

This post has been edited by celestialsteed: Aug 22 2014, 08:45 PM

+Quote Post
Umi
post Aug 22 2014, 08:45 PM
Post #13
All I See br29
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(celestialsteed @ Aug 22 2014, 09:43 PM) *
Yep, thin people face absolutely no disadvantage for their weight. When you say to someone "you look thin" that's a compliment. On the other hand: "you look fat" is a very often used insult, aiming to ridicule and bring people down. There is no such thing as thin-shaming.
And I cannot think of why people would say that, unless for the reasons I mentioned. *shrug*

That's a great position of ignorance you're speaking from there, I'm glad you had such fantastic experiences with being thin.

+Quote Post
jark
post Aug 22 2014, 08:45 PM
Post #14

But you're finding messages in the song that just aren't there. She's not saying it's healthy to be obese. She's saying she's got a decent arse and some curves. She's anyway not obese so.

I obviously meant you can't thin shame with a straight face. You could do it. You'd just sound like a prick.

+Quote Post
celestialsteed
post Aug 22 2014, 08:55 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Climber
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Umi @ Aug 22 2014, 08:41 PM) *
It is entirely possible to thin shame? If you think it's not possible to be bullied about being thin or be insecure about body sizes that aren't fat then you really do not know what you're talking about. Jesus, I can understand disagreeing with my post but comparisons to "straight pride" campaigners is one of the most offensive things I've ever read on this forum and I'm almost inclined to warn that person over it. Skinny people are not the majority? Perhaps people of a healthy weight are (that's debatable) but regardless of how fashionable being thin was a few years back, it's not at all comparible to ridiculousness such as "straight pride".

Hahaha, do whatever you want. Ban me, I don't care, because you are ridiculous in this stance, and there are people to be called out about judging women's bodies, and it's not Meghan Trainor for her harmless song. Aim your offense to people who actually deserve it.
Peace.

+Quote Post
Umi
post Aug 22 2014, 09:00 PM
Post #16
All I See br29
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jark @ Aug 22 2014, 09:45 PM) *
But you're finding messages in the song that just aren't there. She's not saying it's healthy to be obese. She's saying she's got a decent arse and some curves. She's anyway not obese so.

I don't agree that they're not there (obviously). The video does most of the hard work but the dancing obese man in comparison to the seemingly miserable skinny girl is a pretty strong "Look how miserable skinny people are in comparison to us overweight people" point and I'm really not a fan of the lyric about boys preferring curves either. Realistically the only people who don't have "curves" are those who are bordering on underweight and they have enough insecurity about that without being told men don't like bags of bones (people know that already, they don't need to be reminded). I understand the lyrics of the song don't expressly say "being overweight is good, being a healthy weight is bad" but it's very vague lyrically and the video pointing out such extremes means it's really difficult to pinpoint what sort of sizes she's even referring to.

QUOTE(Jark @ Aug 22 2014, 09:45 PM) *
I obviously meant you can't thin shame with a straight face. You could do it. You'd just sound like a prick.

You kinda sound like a prick calling people fat too, though. I don't really see a huge difference. Obviously bullying for people being overweight is the more common type of weight bullying but "ugh look at those fake skinny bitches" is definitely a thing. I just think there are healthier ways of empowering people that aren't happy with their weight (as long as they are healthy) without turning it into some sort of "we're happier than the skinny people anyway" thing.

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Sep 4 2014, 09:23 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,608
   No Gallery Pics

Here is the full studio version of Dear Future Husband!

It's definitely very similar to 'Dance With Me Tonight' but it's fabulous! wub.gif

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Sep 4 2014, 09:29 PM
Post #18
It's a cruel summer.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

I'll listen to this tomorrow but I am really excited for this
I love all about that bass and dance with me tonight is the only Olly song I like (well actually love with DWMT)

+Quote Post
jakee
post Sep 4 2014, 09:31 PM
Post #19
i thought you wore the hairpiece for style
Member No.: 47

possibly even worse than 'all about that bass'

i dislike everything she stands for, the styling, the saccharinely trite lyrics, the doo-wop sound.

it all feels so jarring and false and quite frankly nauseating. i mean what world is she living in writing a song of demands for her future husband? why?

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Sep 4 2014, 09:47 PM
Post #20
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
Member No.: 67

QUOTE(░░░░ @ Sep 4 2014, 05:31 PM) *
i mean what world is she living in writing a song of demands for her future husband? why?

Just wait for the remix with Fat Joe listing off casserole recipes.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:40 AM