BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Geri Halliwell - 'Scream If You Wanna Go Faster', 2001 • 2nd Album / 22nd Anniversary
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post 12th June 2020, 03:27 PM
Post #1
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

'Scream If You Wanna Go Faster'
14th May 2001

1. Scream If You Wanna Go Faster
2. Shake Your Bootie Cutie
3. Calling
4. Feels Like Sex
5. Circles Round the Moon
6. Love Is the Only Light
7. Strength of a Woman
8. Don't Call Me Baby
9. Lovey Dovey Stuff
10. It's Raining Men
11. Heaven and Hell (Being Geri Halliwell)
12. I Was Made That Way
+ Brave New World [Japanese Bonus Track]

---------------

A thread dedicated to discussion about Geri Halliwell's second solo album 'Scream If You Wanna Go Faster'!

This sophomore release followed the smash hit #1 single 'It's Raining Men', a cover of The Weather Girls' 80s hit. Geri's version was a huge hit in many countries and is arguably her most well known single. Two more singles followed, both original songs - the title track, and Calling. UK sales exceeded 140,000, and it's certified Gold.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this album? Which tracks do you like, love, hate? What's your favourite? Were the singles the correct choices? Rate the tracks in order of favourite to least favourite.

---------------

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 12th June 2020, 04:00 PM
Post #2
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

The album cover is... something x

I listened to this last night! It was better than I expected - not as good as Schizophonic, and the run of singles isn't the strongest, but there was plenty to enjoy! Heaven and Hell was a ride x

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 12th June 2020, 04:42 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

I remember waiting so bad for this album and the excitement of seeing it on the shop shelf.

Vocally you can tell she really put a lot more work in on this album than Schizophonic though it's no where near as good an album unfortunately.

I think the three singles were all fantastic choices with Circles Round the Moon as the 4th that never happened. I'm glad Feels Like Sex wasn't the original single as planned as I dont think that would have worked at all.

I think the ballads on this album are actually its strength (Calling, Love is the Only Light and I Was Made That Way) all three are stellar moments.

Not so keen on Shake Your Bootie Cutie, Feels Like Sex and Lovey Dovey Stuff at all.

The B sides should've replaced those tracks imo

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 12th June 2020, 04:49 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

Been forgetting to post these what with everything going on kink.gif

I pretty much agree with every word Schizo said. The ballads are all stunning, Calling is a low key stan song for me, it was my favourite Geri track for a long time. I think Scream as a single was a mis-step though, it's catchy as an album opener but I never felt it worked much as a single, strength of a woman would have made a good second single in my opinion. Shame Circles never got a release as that is probably the best track on the album, the Harry Potter magic theme video sounds really interesting too, it would have been an easy top 10 in my opinion.

The only songs I don't like on the album are Feels like sex (thank Christ that wasn't a single) and shake your bootie cutie! Otherwise it's a good effort.

This post has been edited by Spiceboy: 12th June 2020, 04:49 PM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 12th June 2020, 04:51 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Going to listen to the album again later and put my track rating as it's been years since I've listened to it.

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 13th June 2020, 10:42 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588

Circles Round The Moon, Strength Of A Woman and Breaking Glass are amongst my all-time favourite Geri songs, so this album (or better say era, as Breaking Glass was only a b-side) holds a special place in my hard. I've always loved the album cover as well, it is so ott and so Geri.

Calling, however, is probably my least favourite Geri single. It's a bit too bland for my liking.

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post 13th June 2020, 04:06 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,576

I enjoyed the hell out of this album and I still do

1. Scream If You Wanna Go Faster 10
2. Shake Your Bootie Cutie 5
3. Calling 9
4. Feels Like Sex 7
5. Circles Round the Moon 10
6. Love Is the Only Light 10
7. Strength of a Woman 9
8. Don't Call Me Baby 8
9. Lovey Dovey Stuff 7
10. It's Raining Men 10
11. Heaven and Hell (Being Geri Halliwell) 10
12. I Was Made That Way 10
+ Brave New World [Japanese Bonus Track] 9

Breaking Glass 10

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 13th June 2020, 04:44 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

Me, not wanting to say anything about this album because I might get kicked out if I do: sarcasm.gif

JOKES! tongue.gif

Scream if You Wanna Go Faster is her best album. Scream (single) is a great song and probably my favourite of hers - as well as the video. Some nice enough tracks too.
The ballads are awful here though...

Some of them like Calling might not be too bad and I think if that song was sang by someone else, it might have actually been bareable. But Geri ruins them, in my opinion.

Feels Like Sex should have been the first single. It was obviously clever for them to release It's Raining Men as that was on teh back of the film, but it's pretty obvious that it didnt do much for the album's fortunes. Not that I think that FLS was going to smash, but at least it would have been better demonstration of what is on the album.

I guess after Schizophonic, the almos 500,000 who bought that album didnt think it was good enough to warrant a purchase of the new album. I cant understand and sympathise with that to be honest.

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 13th June 2020, 04:49 PM

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post 13th June 2020, 05:57 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551

I have to agree with Mr.X completely.

I love Geri's song writing. She's can be an intelligent, deeply sincere lyricist. And other times she's very tongue-in-cheek and witty.

At the time I enjoyed the album because I loved Geri.

But, with my more mature ears, her vocals couldn't carry a ballad, imo. Calling is a stunning song though.

I think the era stalled because Spice fever had finally faded tbh. Geri's personality wasn't enough. She was being held to a higher standard.

+Quote this post
Eduardo
post 14th June 2020, 04:59 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 5,804

I always thought "Feels Like Sex" should have been given a chance.

It's a pleasant album, it just lacks a "stand-out" track or two.
I never understood how come she had such high expectations for top chart positions with these tracks.

+Quote this post
Piers
post 15th June 2020, 02:25 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

I've always kinda gone to bat for this album.

To my ears, Scream If You Wanna Go Faster, Calling, Circles Round the Moon, Love is the Only Light, Strength of a Woman, and I Was Made That Way are all excellent. Scream and Calling, I thought, were worthy successors to her Schizophonic singles. 'Gimme some, gimme some gasoline' always sounded like a classic pop hook to me. Calling...I still think is gorgeous.

Don't Call Me Baby and Lovey Dovey Stuff are 'fine' album fillers.

Shake Your Bootie Cutie, Feels Like Sex, and Heaven and Hell...are kinda...spectacularly weird. Which...y'know...I kinda appreciate. No other pop star of her stature would have recorded a song as defiantly strange as Heaven and Hell. Those songs are her. And she didn't care what was cool. In a time when A LOT of pop acts had interchangeable songs...you can't claim Geri didn't have major control over her music.

It's Raining Men is kinda a case on its own. I tend to prefer her originals, but her cover of this song is honestly better than anyone would have reason to believe it would be. Her vocal ability is not in the same stratosphere as The Weather Girls. And yet...it works because her version is just pure adrenaline. She honestly does transform the song into something new. And I think the single campaign was excellent. The video and the performances have such an infectious energy about them. I think it was the most confident we ever saw Geri in her solo career.

Anyway. This album doesn't seem as personal as Schizophonic, but I do think it's the best her voice ever sounded. I think her collaborators figured out the best ways to use her abilities. Passion and her unreleased work have more vocal range...but I like how unmistakable her voice still sounds during the Scream era.

Last thought. I can't *believe* Robbie Williams wanted Geri to listen to Led Zeppelin for influence. Granted, I really like Scream If You Wanna Go Faster (which was inspired by that suggestion). But. Robbie HAD to be joking...

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 27th January 2021, 11:27 AM
Post #12
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

Geri Halliwell - Scream If You Wanna Go Faster (2001)

My rate : A (Wonderful)

Top 5 songs :
1. Circles Round The Moon [her best song]
2. Calling
3. Strength Of A Woman
4. I Was Made That Way
5. Love Is The Only Light

I strongly dislike "It's Raining Men", that's why I didn't give the highest mark for this album.

This post has been edited by Last Dreamer: 27th January 2021, 11:28 AM

+Quote this post
vibe
post 27th January 2021, 06:44 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Listening to this for the first time since the year it was released. I did purchase the album on the week of release. Strength Of A Woman stood out for me originally.

1. Scream - Great opener very surprised this didnt chart in the top 5. She had a lot of promo for it.
2. Shake - Love the verses but the chorus is weak. I wouldn’t have placed this as track 2 on the album.
3. Calling - nice song , one of her best vocals. Can imagine all girls killing this track as a group.
4. Feels Like Sex - totally inspired by George Michaels - I Want Your Sex - This would have been a killer single !! Should have been the single after IRM. Should be track 1 on the album.
5. Circles - A country vibe here , catchy track. I feel Radio could have got behind this.
6. Love Is The Only Light - decent album track
7. Strength Of A Woman - Totally Geri’s personality at the time. I miss this Geri, this is so catchy.
8. Dont Call Me Maybe - filler
9. Lovey Dovey Stuff - filler
10. Its Raining Men - Great cover and amazing video. Did not think this would work on paper.
11. Heaven and Hell - reminds me of shampoo , crazy Geri , im here for it
12. I Was Made This Way - nice enough

My singles
1. Its Raining Men
2. Feels Like Sex
3. Circles
4. Scream / Calling double a side

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 27th January 2021, 07:48 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

Cant believe this album will soon be 20 years old. Where does time go.

I think this revised tracklisting takes it from a 7/10 to a 9/10 for me

I didnt include Breaking Glass as I believe she said that hadn't been recorded at the time the album was mastered.

2. Brave New World
3. Calling
4. New Religion
6. Love is the Only Light
7. Strength of a Woman
8. Don't Call Me Baby
9. Getting Better
10. Its Raining Men
11. Heaven and Hell
12. I Was Made That Way

wub.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 28th January 2021, 09:57 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

That track listing is just 😍 going to listen to that!

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 28th January 2021, 10:24 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

I always feel with scream that the big problem was the uptempo songs were like parody Geri songs. As if someone said to her you are naughty, bonkers and cheeky let's ramp it up to 10 and it comes across trying too hard to be that.

It's amazing to think she went from clever and fun songs like Look at me and Mi Chico Latino to the tacky Feels like sex and Shake your bootie cutie. You're in bubble did zany and cheeky much better.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 28th January 2021, 11:46 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Jan 28 2021, 10:24 AM) *
I always feel with scream that the big problem was the uptempo songs were like parody Geri songs. As if someone said to her you are naughty, bonkers and cheeky let's ramp it up to 10 and it comes across trying too hard to be that.

It's amazing to think she went from clever and fun songs like Look at me and Mi Chico Latino to the tacky Feels like sex and Shake your bootie cutie. You're in bubble did zany and cheeky much better.

I completely agree with this, the best songs on the album are the ones that don't have such zany lyrics. Strength of a woman, circles around the moon, Love is the only light more melodic tracks which don't try too hard to be bonkers like Feels like sex, shake your bootie cutie and Heaven and hell (although I don't mind heaven and hell lol).

Huge mistake leaving off Brave new world and New religion in favour of other tracks! I never got the rationale for that, both those tracks are stronger than most of the album!? Very much a Reason B-sides like experience.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 28th January 2021, 11:54 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

Oh God I forgot Heaven and hell that sounds like a song a cartoon would release, the cartoon version of Geri.

Also she went away from her strength of big rousing choruses, Look at me, Bag it up and It's raining men the chorus are were she shines.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 28th January 2021, 12:52 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Jan 28 2021, 10:24 AM) *

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Jan 28 2021, 11:46 AM) *
I completely agree with this, the best songs on the album are the ones that don't have such zany lyrics. Strength of a woman, circles around the moon, Love is the only light more melodic tracks which don't try too hard to be bonkers like Feels like sex, shake your bootie cutie and Heaven and hell (although I don't mind heaven and hell lol).

Huge mistake leaving off Brave new world and New religion in favour of other tracks! I never got the rationale for that, both those tracks are stronger than most of the album!? Very much a Reason B-sides like experience.

This is very true and interesting. I never thought of that but it does make sense. She really did lean in on the parody version of herself... Not to say that it was wrong, just that it maybe went too far and she moved away from what made her successful in the first place.

Personally, I prefer Scream as an album over Schizo but I can see why the appeal started to go with this era... There are no BIG HITS here apart from Its Raining Men, certainly no huge chorus even the most obvious single Feels Like Sex felt more like a joke about sex rather than actually a progressive song.

Might give this album another listen actually today and will listen to it in the order suggested by schizo_spice cheer.gif

QUOTE(schizo_spice @ Jan 27 2021, 07:48 PM) *
I didnt include Breaking Glass as I believe she said that hadn't been recorded at the time the album was mastered.
2. Brave New World
3. Calling
4. New Religion
6. Love is the Only Light
7. Strength of a Woman
8. Don't Call Me Baby
9. Getting Better
10. Its Raining Men
11. Heaven and Hell
12. I Was Made That Way

wub.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 28th January 2021, 03:28 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Jan 28 2021, 12:52 PM) *
This is very true and interesting. I never thought of that but it does make sense. She really did lean in on the parody version of herself... Not to say that it was wrong, just that it maybe went too far and she moved away from what made her successful in the first place.

Personally, I prefer Scream as an album over Schizo but I can see why the appeal started to go with this era... There are no BIG HITS here apart from Its Raining Men, certainly no huge chorus even the most obvious single Feels Like Sex felt more like a joke about sex rather than actually a progressive song.

Might give this album another listen actually today and will listen to it in the order suggested by schizo_spice cheer.gif

I'm really surprised you think Feels like sex is an obvious single... I think it's the second worse song on the album (and one of the worst she has ever done).

I think the singles play a huge part, while I love Calling it wasn't right for Geri or her target audience, then Scream doesn't have the chorus to really push it. Strength of a woman however would have been a great choice it has the chorus is melodic and continues to push the 'girl power' that Geri was the most strongly associated with. Circles around the moon also has a kick ass chorus and possibly Don't call me baby. There are songs on there she just didn't release them.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 08:36 AM