BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
18 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Pokemon Sword & Shield, Generation 8 // Nintendo Switch
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post Nov 18 2019, 07:39 PM
Post #221
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
QUOTE(Aaron. @ Nov 18 2019, 05:19 PM) *
My Butterfree had an excellent moveset, it also had the Gigantamax Logo in its info page. Outside of that, I'm not really sure what value it brings or why people would hunt for it. But if you're a Butterfree fan I guess go for it? I guess the intent is to get people excited about stronger versions of Pokemon they like?
Maybe they need to do a better job of informing us what the raids are, Ala Pokemon GO. But maybe they already do this and I haven't been paying attention lol

Nah you haven't missed anything, well that or I did too laugh.gif They just kind of appear and you figure it out, which is odd given how much they signpost quite a lot and lead us to things in this game. I'm surprised we don't have to do a Raid with Hop laugh.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Nov 18 2019, 10:46 PM
Post #222
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585
Thoroughly enjoyed those final battles and that match with Eternatus! I legit thought I’d just battle Leon tonight so pleasantly surprised my evening was spent building up to that instead

+Quote this post
LouisL
post Nov 19 2019, 10:31 AM
Post #223
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 42,419
Just finished the fire gym and it’s the most I’ve struggled with a gym in ages which I’m happy about, a bit of a challenge for the first time in a while

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Nov 19 2019, 08:27 PM
Post #224
Group icon
User: 13,007
One of the first times ever I haven't chosen the water starter D: Grookey it is ~

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Nov 19 2019, 08:34 PM
Post #225
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
^ The correct choice, although Rillaboom's moveset is a little disappointing

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Nov 20 2019, 02:17 AM
Post #226
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
Yeah his moveset is kinda awful, I went and did loads of raids to get some good TRs and the late game TMs helped a bit but he could be so much better with some better moves.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Nov 20 2019, 10:53 PM
Post #227
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
Damn Leon is actually difficult, I was actually over-levelled for the rest of the league but he thrashed me oops

+Quote this post
Tombo
post Nov 20 2019, 11:51 PM
Post #228
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543
I love that the story continues after defeating Leon. It’s nice it’s not an abrupt end like in some of the games.

This post has been edited by TomHo: Nov 20 2019, 11:51 PM

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Nov 21 2019, 04:36 PM
Post #229
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
Having defeated Leon and completed the postgame, I have to say that's the most I've enjoyed a Pokemon game since... possibly gen 4 (barring ORAS which was a remake and I won't count)? It certainly wasn't perfect, but it was so fun that I didn't care about the Wild Area issues for example, given it was largely optional. I didn't even blink at the Dex cuts in terms of the game, I didn't use any old Pokemon apart from Stufful for a time before I solidified my tea, of course it's still lazy and sad they did it but oh well. I didn't really experience much lag and the graphics I never noticed as being bad outside of the Wild Area. The graphical popping in of Pokemon and people as you, for example, bike through towns was a bit annoying but not something that ruined the game. I grew to really like Dynamaxing as a concept, I liked that they saved it for gyms and other big events in the game and it was part of the story properly.

You can tell they had ambitions beyond what the game ended up being, so in places it felt a bit unfinished, only scratching the surface, but I honestly think they're on the right track. The gym leaders and rivals felt like actual characters rather than afterthoughts, I liked that the gym leaders show up again for the league and postgame rather than just being there for one battle with 0 characterisation. The story was fun, as short as it was compared to other games, it felt like an anime arc especially with the fact you journey along with Hop and I loved that the climax of the villain's story tied in with the league rather than it being a case of journeying through the gyms with something to disrupt you now and again.

Now for the bad - of course the Exp Share. It didn't really matter for most of the game, it just eliminated the need for grinding but it did annoy me towards the end when I had to think about not using certain Pokemon because they'd be even more overlevelled. It really made 0 sense not to just program in such a tiny feature and give the option, some people like grinding a lot and to not even have the choice was really odd and quite lazy. I also would have liked more story, at times it felt like it was just gym-route-gym and more story could have elongated the game. The postgame is disappointing but that's been an issue since Gen 4 with Pokemon, especially when you compare it to the Johto games having Kanto at the end, Gen 3 having the Battle Frontier and Gen 4 having the whole postgame island with the Battle Frontier/Tower. At least this has a little episode afterwards that continues the story on a bit, rather than it being a case of just ending like Tombo said. I'm so pleasantly surprised that this was great, my expectations were so low because of what we heard pre-release but honestly so much of it was exaggerated! That or I have lower standards/rose-tinted glasses for Pokemon, but idk I hated Let's Go and had more than enough to criticise with Gen 7, particularly USUM.

My biggest issue is replayability, as much as I enjoyed it, when a lot of it is scripted events, idk how much I'd enjoy going through the same again too soon after beating it, no matter how much I angle it as a challenge (perhaps a Nuzlocke) or change up my team. I'll wait until Home at least, but that's another issue as you have to pay a subscription just to be able to store the Pokemon you don't want to lose! If it's just a kind of £5 per year thing like Bank, I'll not mind but I can see it being a ridiculous price laugh.gif

I'm torn on what I want next though, I'm dying for Gen 4 remakes as they're my fave games but equally with the ambition of this, I'd love to see a 3rd version in the vein of B2/W2 that expands things (perhaps with the full Pokedex, or at least a wider one) but equally now it's on a bigger and better console, they could even do with going 2 years to make the follow-up game instead of rushing them out.

QUOTE(Liаm @ Nov 20 2019, 10:53 PM) *
Damn Leon is actually difficult, I was actually over-levelled for the rest of the league but he thrashed me oops

All that and I one-shotted the Charizard nobody shuts up about when I finally got to it! laugh.gif Which just says it all about how hideously overrated Charizard is. Granted, I did lose all my other Pokemon in the battle but I knew I had to have Cursola as it has Power Gem, the Dynamax rock move did it in *.* I actually felt really challenged by a champion which I missed in SM/USUM for sure. The only time I was challenged in that was Totem Lurantis, and that was only because I chose Popplio my first time and at that time I didn't have a solid team to cover its weaknesses. This had a couple of gyms and Leon, although it felt like most of the league was really easy. I found the format really fun anyway, moreso than the usual Elite Four tbh.

Hop did grow on me though, by the end I enjoyed the fact we had the whole adventure together when you compare him to barely there rivals like May/Brendan for example who you battle like 3 times and then they just vanish. He might have got annoying at times, but he had development too which you don't often see in rivals, he felt human and rounded. I like that he stays with you even through the postgame too, you feel the friendship grow and him grow as a person throughout the entire adventure, not just at select points.

Final team for me was Rillaboom, Cursola, Toxtricity, Copperajah, Hatterene and Centiskorch. I so wish I used Centiskorch for more of the game, it was so much of a better option for a Fire type than Coalossal was. Cursola and Toxtricity were definitely the MVPs though, in different ways but Cursola is the hero of the game for getting me out of a sticky spot with Leon! There's a good few other Pokemon I want to use for another playthrough, I'll have to nab Galarian Rapidash and Darmanitan from someone with Sword for my next play-though for sure!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Nov 22 2019, 03:46 PM
Post #230
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

Hatterene would EAT this

+Quote this post
Atonement
post Nov 22 2019, 11:12 PM
Post #231
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676
The other hoes are no competition for Hatterqueen.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Nov 23 2019, 11:30 PM
Post #232
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
The Battle Tower is quite fun, if bare bones af, but GOD can Leon stop wheeling out his Gigantamax Charizard I cba

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Nov 24 2019, 07:17 AM
Post #233
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
QUOTE(Liаm @ Nov 23 2019, 03:30 PM) *
The Battle Tower is quite fun, if bare bones af, but GOD can Leon stop wheeling out his Gigantamax Charizard I cba
lol i read Leon as Leona and i was about to respond "does she have a horse pokemon bc if so the jokes just write themselves at this point"

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Nov 27 2019, 01:23 AM
Post #234
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
I'm starting breeding to get into competitive, wish me luck huns I'm gonna regret this :') It's the EV training I cba with but there's a couple of exploits to grind so I'm gonna see how that goes for now.

Gonna have breeding rejects left over if anyone wants anything traded, otherwise I'll just probably wonder trade them anyway (I'm doing Corsola and Eiscue which ofc are Shield exclusive) laugh.gif Especially if anyone has a Galar Darumaka/Darmanitan whistle.gif

(Ik you can use mints for natures instead of breeding til you get the right one, but they don't actually come that easy so I don't want to use them just yet.)

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post Nov 27 2019, 01:47 PM
Post #235
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,245
I finished this over the weekend, overall for me an exceptional game. Granted, I don't play a lot of Video Games, just Pokemon and the occasional Mario Kart/Party. But the experience of playing Pokemon on a big screen TV with surround sound was sublime. Really everything that people called out about the game prior to launch that were defects or negative I probably wouldn't have noticed on my own. However, I do acknowledge the first half of the game was a lot more solid than the second half.

My final team ended up being the 3 Starters, Centiskorch, Dragapult and Eternatus. We can pretty much lose Eternatus because I only caught just at the end and I didn't really use him at all.
Centiskorch is probably the best thing to happen to this game. There's a lack of strong Fire Pokemon, but the fact that you can get Centiskorch so early in the game is great. I really wish Dragapult was available a lot earlier because it would have been great to run with him prior to the Elite 4 (or whatever it was now).
Why they did not give one of Drednaw/Boltund or Centiskorch a 3rd evolution completely baffles me.

I did end up ditching my run of Big Brother Named Characters. In reality I had played over 24 hours by the 4th Gym and really just wanted to finish off the game. My team prior to Wonder Trading was terrible, I had a Galarian Rapidash which ended up being a complete mistake, Appletun and Drednaw. Unfortunately all can be taken down in one shot with a type disadvantage so I dropped all of them. However I've seen a lot of the new Pokemon so will rethink my next run. Which I am excited about, there's a lot of re-playability to this game.

I didn't notice the story/hand holding as much as you all did. Admittedly I would be on my phone mashing the 'X' key. However I did notice it a lot at the end and I really didn't care.

PROs:
- Wonder Trade Anytime: This goes along with the ability to change Nicknames and Delete/Relearn moves at Pokecenters. No need to find a random house in a random town. Big call out for being able to effectively manage the entire game and Pokemon without needing to fly everywhere or find a Poke Center.
- Wild Area: Great concept, great for someone like me who wants some strong pokemon with competitive stats that I don't need to spend hours hunting for. The raids are fun as well.

CONs:
- TMs/TRs: One of the things people hated was that TRs break after one use. So what. They are so easy to get. However the problem is with TMs/TRs.. half the time they aren't even compatible with the Pokemon you want to use them on. This has been a problem for GENERATIONS. Fix this PLEASE!
- Wild Area: Yep. Both a Pro and a Con. At times this is completely non navigational. Insanely frustrating at times to search for that one Pokemon you want. With a revamp this could be one of the best things to happen to Pokemon in a long time.
- Intro/Cut Scenes: Another area that Pokemon needs to work on is when you do a Mega Evolution/Dynamaxing or even doing a Raid. This shit takes WAY TOO LONG. We don't need massive transformations EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Or at least let us skip it. It's great to see once or twice. But, I don't need to waste an entire minute going into a Raid and Dynamaxing a Pokemon.
- The Spikemuth and Hammerlocke Gyms: Wow. This was lazy, even for Pokemon. The Spikemuth Gym... you're.... walking down an Alley. Okay. In Hammerlocke you... battle 4 trainers in a room. There was also something else before taking on the Elite 4.. where you are in an elevator... going up... battling people? Really lazy. It seems like towards the end they ran out of time.

I know it looks like there are more Cons vs Pros - but it's not the case. The game is beautiful. I'd give it 8/10 - but if they found a way to fix these 4 or 5 things.. this game would be 10/10.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Nov 27 2019, 02:42 PM
Post #236
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
Can't argue with any of those cons, I've been noticing the TM/TR thing a lot while doing the Battle Tower and making competitive Pokemon. There's more than ever which should be good, but there's some really specific ones than it feels like hardly anyone can learn laugh.gif I guess they have to have balance, so it's not like I want everyone to learn EVERYTHING, but in some cases not being able to learn them makes no sense. For example, I wanted to give Cinderace a physical Fighting move for coverage to help with Rock types, the only ones it can learn is Revenge, Low Sweep or Low Kick. Really it makes no sense it can't at least learn Drain Punch or Brick Break, it's also really frustrating when you get a TR after a Raid, think YAS a great move, and it's something literally none of your Pokemon can learn. Idk there's just a lot of moves I can't see any reason why pretty much most Pokemon shouldn't learn, and it'd be a big quality of life improvement and it would make quite a few Pokemon so much better.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Nov 27 2019, 06:25 PM
Post #237
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
The Max Raids are becoming a con for me post game too, it's the fastest way to level up when you want Pokemon for online battles or the Battle Tower but the f***ing AI..................... I keep getting some idiot with a Solrock who just uses Cosmic Power or some idiot with a MAGIKARP, who brings a Magikarp to a raid and expects to do anything lmao. They're fun when they work but it's luck a lot of the time, getting the right NPCs joining you and being lucky with what moves the Dynamax/Gigantamax Pokemon uses against you. It'd be ok if you could Dynamax when you want, it keeps saying x is ready to dynamax but the NPCs never do, and I don't like to use my 3 turns straight away before whittling it down some more otherwise you end up struggling near the end. It is fun with other people if you can get them but I wish there was an option to use 4 of your own Pokemon against it too, or you could call the NPCs from the game (Hop, Gym Leaders, Leon) to help or something. Because there's an exploit with the raids that you can manipulate in game time to passing, there's no chance of getting anyone to join online either so it's just practically impossible to do the 5* raids and even if by some chance you do, you get like 2 L XP Candies and 1 XL XP candy..

I think your point though Aaron about the Wild Area being a pro and con applies to that, there's so much right but the glaring things wrong with it certainly bring it down.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Nov 27 2019, 11:44 PM
Post #238
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
this is the best thing to come out of this generation lmao

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Nov 27 2019, 11:52 PM
Post #239
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
Omg I'm screaming I was sweeping some kid with Eiscue Ice Face and he got salty and quit lmao

That's the most fun I've had online tbh, for some reason every team has either Dragapult or Rotom Wash, or both, and it's getting boring :') I mean Dragapult I get, it's cool af but Rotom??? Is this 2009??

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Nov 28 2019, 07:36 PM
Post #240
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Gigantamax Snorlax raid will be coming on December 4th

+Quote this post

18 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:43 PM