BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 23rd August 2019
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post 23rd August 2019, 06:11 PM
Post #1
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

Hello people - it's a bank holiday weekend! Hope you're having a good one whatever you have planned. It's our birthday this weekend so we'll celebrating - ooh, and today marks one year since we started publishing our charts on here as well so double birthday you might say. To this week's top 20 then - is Mark Ronson still number one or will newcomers from Katy Perry and Paige Cavell prove too strong a challenge? Here's your answer...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 23rd August 2019
© AM LIMITED 2019

1. (1) MARK RONSON FEAT. CAMILA CABELLO - Find U Again
2. (HNE) KATY PERRY - Small Talk
3. (2) SHAWN MENDES FEAT. CAMILA CABELLO - Senőrita
4. (NE) PAIGE CAVELL - Figure It Out
5. (5) CALL ME LOOP - Self Love
6. (4) HIMESH PATEL - Yesterday
7. (6) OSCAR SCHELLER FEAT. LILY ALLEN - 1%
8. (3) OLLY MURS - Talking To Yourself / That Girl (Remix)
9. (7) LÉON - Falling
10. (NE) NATASHA BEDINGFIELD - Kick It

11. (8) RAK-SU - Rotate (Clockwise)
12. (9) P!NK - Can We Pretend
13. (10) MABEL - Mad Love
14. (11) JP COOPER FEAT. ASTRID S - Sing It With Me
15. (12) ED SHEERAN FEAT. KHALID - Beautiful People
16. (NE) DAPHNE & CELESTE - Sunny Day
17. (13) DIDO - Friends
18. (14) KYLIE VS. MOUSSE T - Step Back In Time (Rework)
19. (15) JONAS BLUE - I Wanna Dance
20. (16) LITTLE MIX - Bounce Back

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry
(RE) - re-entry

CHART COMMENTARY

Number one overall for eight of the thirty four weeks that have elapsed in 2019 so far - more than any other artist - Mark Ronson's 'Find U Again' with Camila Cabello is at the top of our chart for a comfortable second week this week. The still long running 'Late Night Feelings' remains in the top 30 this week also (down four to #30) and is the year's biggest single on my chart so far. It's looking highly likely that 'Find U Again' could be joining it further up the yearly listings based on its performance so far - after just two weeks it's already #21 for the year.

Camila's other big collaboration with Shawn Mendes ('Senőrita') is the fourth biggest single of 2019 so far, and all without having reached #1 in its chart life to date. It has been a top 3 record for all seven weeks it has been on the chart thus far but it dips to #3 again this week however, to accomodate the highest new hit from Katy Perry. 'Small Talk' is the follow-up to 'Never Really Over' - which hit #5 in June - and gives her her first top 3 hit since 'Feels', her collaboration with Calvin Harris, Pharrell Williams and Big Sean was at the top of our chart two years ago this very month.

Paige Cavell appears to be on the up as one of the summer's brightest new discoveries. The new teenage protegee of the Xenomania production team made #6 in May with her first single 'Predators and Monsters', and her new single 'Figure It Out' does even better, entering at this week's #4.

A comeback of a very different kind lands just inside our top 10 this week. Fifteen years ago, back in 2004, Natasha Bedingfield emerged as one of British pop's most exciting female solo artists. Despite initially toiling in the footsteps of big brother Daniel, she emerged as the more successful of the two in her own right, with a litany of top 10 hits like 'These Words' and 'Unwritten' to her name, but hasn't been seen on our chart for eleven years when she last made the top 20 alongside Sean Kingston on 'Love Like This'.

Now a married mum and living in Los Angeles, she returns with a new album 'Roll With Me' this week, and the latest single from it, called 'Kick It', gives her her first top 10 hit since July 2007, when she made #7 with 'Soulmate', and sixth of her career overall.

Meanwhile, it's another comeback of a very different kind for our last new entry. Almost two decades ago, Daphne & Celeste ran riot on my charts with a litany of speed rapped and bonkers pop tunes - biggest of all being 'Ooh! Stick You!' which made #7 in January 2000, even rocking up at a memorable performance at the Reading rock festival that same year. They went just as soon as they came and no more was heard of them - until last year, when they teamed up with trendy dance producer Max Tundra for a self released album called 'Daphne & Celeste Rule The World'.

After 'BB' entered our chart at #28 in May 2018, it now produces a second single called 'Sunny Day' and is just as wonderfully deranged as their previous releases - and also gives them a fourth top 20 hit exactly nineteen years to the week since their last with their cover of Alice Cooper's 'School's Out', entering at #13. The 00s revival really has begun, then.

FLASHBACK TOP 10

Your chance to see how my personal top 10 was looking on this week in the last 20 years. This week in 2009: Little Boots scores her third consecutive number one, plus classic hits from Tinchy Stryder and Amelle, Black Eyed Peas and Calvin Harris

1. (HNE) LITTLE BOOTS - Remedy

2. (1) TINCHY STRYDER FEAT. AMELLE BERRABAH - Never Leave You
3. (2) BLACK EYED PEAS - I Gotta Feeling
4. (3) CALVIN HARRIS - Ready for the Weekend
5. (4) MR HUDSON FEAT. KANYE WEST - Supernova
6. (NE) ESMEE DENTERS - Outta Here
7. (5) JLS - Beat Again
8. (NE) JUST JACK - The Day I Died
9. (6) IAN CAREY PROJECT - Get Shaky
10. (7) DANIEL MERRIWEATHER - Impossible
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post