BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
18 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Doctor Who • 2023-
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
T Boy
post 12th May 2024, 01:08 PM
Post #301
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

It did very well being aired late Spring/early Summer when it was first brought back in the 2000s so I’m not sure why that would be an issue.

Why is it you won’t be watching and assume other won’t either? Bit of a random detail to give out if you’re not going to explain why.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post 12th May 2024, 01:33 PM
Post #302
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 175,892

QUOTE(T Boy @ 12th May 2024, 02:08 PM) *
It did very well being aired late Spring/early Summer when it was first brought back in the 2000s so I’m not sure why that would be an issue.

Why is it you won’t be watching and assume other won’t either? Bit of a random detail to give out if you’re not going to explain why.

The TV landscape has moved on massively since 2005 - we used to actually sit down and watch telly together as families back then (I was a 9 year old kid who was very excited for the return of the show based on how interested my parents were in it and the trailers I'd seen). The show was also new and exciting, not something that can be said for a show that's now been running for nearly 20 years as a reboot. People don't do that 'watching as a family' thing anymore - especially when the weathers as good it was yesterday - using the momentum that Church on Ruby Road got at Christmas and going straight into the new series in Jan/Feb would have been the much better play as ratings for all shows are slightly higher in winter.

The Church on Ruby Road - whilst a decent episode - just confirmed to me that the show's new style had drifted to far from I remember the show being like when I was younger and enjoy the show for. (The first RTD era). That happened during in 13s run and nothing in the specials convinced me RTD coming back was a particularly good reboot. I didn't like Ruby as a character and from the special it looks as though there's going to be far too much focus on her background for me to get invested in the show. I also haven't really warmed to Ncuti Gatwa from the first episode, and I'm not in the business of waiting patiently for things to click anymore given I tried that with 13 and it never happened. I'm marathoning through Who at the minute from 1963, so might just watch these when I do eventually catch-up - in the past I'd have watched the live broadcasts but now I don't see much need or urgency sadly.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 12th May 2024, 01:41 PM
Post #303
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

QUOTE(DoBelieveTheHype @ 12th May 2024, 02:33 PM) *
People don't do that 'watching as a family' thing anymore - especially when the weathers as good it was yesterday - using the momentum that Church on Ruby Road got at Christmas and going straight into the new series in Jan/Feb would have been the much better play as ratings for all shows are slightly higher in winter.

To be fair to RTD/the BBC, that was always the plan. Initially they wanted to launch the series in January immediately after The Church on Ruby Road, but due to post-production it simply wasn't ready and they couldn't.

TV ratings mean less and less these days now, and it's evident they know this themselves too. They'll be far more concerned with the iPlayer/Disney+ viewership to guide them moving forward, and then eventually the 'hours watched' model that Netflix are fixated on will come into play too I imagine.

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 12th May 2024, 01:53 PM
Post #304
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(DoBelieveTheHype @ 12th May 2024, 01:50 PM) *
It'll add some numbers with pre-transmission and post-transmission for the +7s. However I can't see it reaching the heights of the specials.

Personally I haven't watched and have no intention to do so any time soon and I know I'm not alone. Thankfully we've got enough old Who on Iplayer to keep me going for a few more months at least.

Personally I think they should have aired it during the winter rather than in late spring/early summer and it might have done better.

Yeah I'm done with it too. I need bbc to get it back from disney and for rtd to go. I'll keep checkin on on the opinions in here to make sure he is still oing full vheeaw. I'll only tune in for dark/ serious episodes. Also, why is the doctor wearing fashionable clothes and going clubbing?! Has disney had somethong to do with changing his personality so that he seems "less alien and relatable" when, um, he's ... A SHAPESHIFTING TIMELORD FROM GALLIFREY?!

Also those viewing figures ... yikes!! The Christmas epiaode being so bad and cheesy has really put people off, and again it HAS TO BE DISNEY BEHIND IT. The three specials were great, ans it wasn't down to Tennant band Catherine Tate being brilliant actors and used to the roles. BBC (and RTD??) probably had more control over those, before season 1 with Disney started.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 12th May 2024, 02:04 PM
Post #305
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll

The Doctor has been clubbing in one episode only so far. As for fashionable clothes, perhaps that is just who this new Doctor is? You’ve repeated that point multiple times already and the fact that no one has responded on it until now suggests that no one else sees it as an issue.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 12th May 2024, 02:08 PM
Post #306
Group icon
nabad

Literally nothing Michael says about the show can be taken seriously laugh.gif

Disney influence on the Doctor going clubbing when that scene was specifically included as a tribute to RTD's late husband who he met in a club? Very Disney.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 12th May 2024, 02:27 PM
Post #307
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

Michael give it up please, it's tiring x

The overnight ratings don't matter. If it only adds a few hundred thousand by the +7 figures released next Monday, then maybe we can panic, but I'm confident that won't be the case when the specials all added over 2 million (and all over 3 million for the final +28 figures), and that's without the episode premiering on iPlayer.

Summary: the ratings will be fine x

+Quote this post
Calum
post 14th May 2024, 07:12 AM
Post #308
Group icon
nabad

Now confirmed that Joy to the World - this year’s Christmas special - has indeed been written by Moffat!!

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post 14th May 2024, 07:30 AM
Post #309
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,002

That's good that Moff is writing some more. Feels a bit odd he;s doing the Christmas Special though biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 14th May 2024, 08:31 AM
Post #310
Group icon
nabad

Yeah I’m shocked that RTD’s broken tradition with the Christmas specials always being written by the incumbent showrunner, but more Moffat is always appreciated wub.gif Moffat has apparently said that it’ll be his last ever episode though since it’ll be his 50th script for the show!

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 14th May 2024, 06:04 PM
Post #311
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll

Bit of a win today for me personably but my Dad loved the two opening episodes-even the dance routine as he argued it was well done! He’s a massive DW fan from the beginning and those who’ve been around will know that I was quite shaken by my parents and their emerging views during Covid so I was really expecting him to take against most of the new series so far but it’s been a winner. My parents seem to be losing their right wing tendencies the further away we get from Covid.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 14th May 2024, 06:22 PM
Post #312
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(Calum @ 12th May 2024, 03:08 PM) *
Literally nothing Michael says about anytihng can be taken seriously laugh.gif

Corrected that for you laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 14th May 2024, 07:59 PM
Post #313
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(Calum @ 14th May 2024, 09:31 AM) *
Yeah I’m shocked that RTD’s broken tradition with the Christmas specials always being written by the incumbent showrunner, but more Moffat is always appreciated wub.gif Moffat has apparently said that it’ll be his last ever episode though since it’ll be his 50th script for the show!

NO WAY!!! WE NEED HIM TO SAVE THE SHOW FROM CHIBNALL AND RTD!!!!!

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 14th May 2024, 07:59 PM
Post #314
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(spiceboy @ 14th May 2024, 07:22 PM) *
Corrected that for you laugh.gif

Oh no you better don't!!!! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 19th May 2024, 04:23 PM
Post #315
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

The Timeless Child means the Doctor is eternal, and so he can only be defeated via something like the Pandorica. He can't be killed, as we saw with - what was her name, Totulan? - Totulan?? doing experiments to kill the Doctor for DECADES. 13 was literally a ... universe? And that pantomime villain couldn't disintegrate her, jist mess with her/ the universe???, Which is the timeless child apparently, by attacking.

I'd fix it immediately, by having him find out the Master LIED. Bring a Michelle type for the new Master, lots of intrigue, finally arriving at the truth: he isn't the Timeless Child. It was the Master! Fix it by matching it with the lore, with the time vortex, and then bring back Jo Martin!! Imagine the mystery when she comes back, but ... she's not an incarnation of the timeless child. So is she from a parallel universe or from the Doctor's future? He could also find out the Master not only lied about that, but about Gallifrey being destroyed. Getting rid of the timeless child will open up a LOT of storylines, but it still needs to be retconned to fit with the time vortex :/

+Quote this post
Calum
post 19th May 2024, 04:38 PM
Post #316
Group icon
nabad

But that's a conclusion you have decided to jump to as opposed to what has actually been said in the show itself?

Like I said, I've not been a massive supporter or fan of the Timeless Child storyline, but I feel like Chibnall was deliberately very vague and left some parts open-ended so that he didn't shoehorn the show into one box moving forward. Nowhere did he say that the Doctor is immortal or invincible, simply that the Time Lords' ability to regenerate came from the Doctor. We don't know how many times the Doctor can regenerate (it could still be capped but beyond the limit Tecteun herself set for Time Lords!).

Curiously though, why do we want the Doctor to die completely? Regeneration has been at the core of the show since Hartnell regenerated into Troughton, so it's not as if it's meddled with that concept at all. The Doctor will still regenerate, hence the future of the show is secure. If anything this gave future writers a get out of jail card for having to explain what # regeneration the Doctor is on, or how many of x amount have been used up. It's not a perfect storyline by any means, but it certainly has added intrigue and mystery to the character of the Doctor again, and provided some conveniences.

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post 20th May 2024, 02:13 PM
Post #317
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

Never mind, will post when BARB or Thinkbox update as these are unreliable.

This post has been edited by DoBelieveTheHype: 20th May 2024, 02:38 PM

+Quote this post
DoBelieveTheHype
post 20th May 2024, 03:52 PM
Post #318
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

So BARB's updated

Space Babies - 4.08m
The Devil's Chord - 3.90m

These are really poor ratings as demonstrated by coming in 10th and 12th place on the weekly top watched shows list. With a drop of 3.41m viewers from The Church on Ruby Road those at the helm of the show are going to be somewhat worried about it's future now surely - especially as ratings in recent years have generally declined over the course of a season. It simply looks like the appetite for New Who revamped for the millionth time is no longer there following successive show-runners running it into the ground. Even RTD - the hero of Whovians everywhere - isn't a big pulling factor.

+Quote this post
Doomsday Dong
post 20th May 2024, 03:54 PM
Post #319
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

YIKES!!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 20th May 2024, 03:55 PM
Post #320
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

The ratings are fine and will be even better come the +28 figures, but of course it won't stop people framing the narrative to match their opinion...

+Quote this post

18 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 5th June 2024, 09:35 PM