BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 1980s Top 40 Rate - Part 3, Number 5s - The Results!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Fgiboy2511
post May 28 2015, 07:38 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 20,769
Can we not have a one song per artist rule when all the results are in? For example second place song for the relevant number. I'm sure a lot of classic bands like the Smiths just got the most points because it was the Smiths and there wasn't a lot of choice for that number.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Colm
post May 28 2015, 07:41 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885
Good point. How do we decide which Smiths song gets precedence?

Do we do a re-shuffle at the end once all the positions are done?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post May 28 2015, 08:30 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Difficult to do that - when it gets to number ones there's going to be multiple entries for many acts, so they may disadvantaged with the votes getting split and none of them winning. There's a core fan group of Kate, Smiths, New Order etc who are voting (often including me), but I expect the bigger hits might be more open to more voters. I would have preferred Little Lies to win, obv, as Kate has much better tracks still to come, but then again one of her best records didn't win (This Woman's Work) and one of her lesser tracks did (Big Sky). Bushzarre!

If it is limited to one per artist, though, the highest-placed should take precedence as it will be harder to win higher up the chart (I would guess)?

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post May 28 2015, 09:42 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,410
QUOTE(Fgiboy2511 @ May 28 2015, 08:38 PM) *
Can we not have a one song per artist rule when all the results are in? For example second place song for the relevant number. I'm sure a lot of classic bands like the Smiths just got the most points because it was the Smiths and there wasn't a lot of choice for that number.

tbh, I wasn't expecting Smiths, Kate & New Order to win multiple rates, but they got the votes. Once we go higher up the chart, their votes will be more split I imagine. There'll be a wildcard round once all the 40 are done (the second place tracks), so it's not a given all Smiths tracks (for example) will end up in the Final Top 40

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post May 28 2015, 09:43 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(AntoineTTe @ May 28 2015, 08:41 PM) *
Do we do a re-shuffle at the end once all the positions are done?

Ah, you're one step ahead of me. Indeed that is the plan!

+Quote this post
AH Gold
post May 28 2015, 09:50 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(popchartfreak @ May 28 2015, 09:30 PM) *
Difficult to do that - when it gets to number ones there's going to be multiple entries for many acts, so they may disadvantaged with the votes getting split and none of them winning. There's a core fan group of Kate, Smiths, New Order etc who are voting (often including me), but I expect the bigger hits might be more open to more voters. I would have preferred Little Lies to win, obv, as Kate has much better tracks still to come, but then again one of her best records didn't win (This Woman's Work) and one of her lesser tracks did (Big Sky). Bushzarre!

John's put it much better than I could, and I agree with everything here. I was hoping for a Little Lies shock win myself, and truth be told, there's quite a few of my faves across the peak position rates that appear to be loved only by me. For example, in the No.24 rate, why isn't Scarlet Fantastic winning by a landslide?

The great thing about doing this is the overall unpredictability of where people's votes will go (obvs Kate, Smiths and New Order aside laugh.gif ) and it's fascinating. But like John says, the higher up the chart we go, the more voters we'll probably get and the less chance of a core fan base winner (possibly)

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:07 PM