BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jupiter's Top 40 tracks: 2017 03, oo bb come on let me get to know ya // + links + write-up
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Jan 17 2017, 02:12 PM
Post #1
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Dua Lipa, after a moderately successful 2016, gains the first new #1 of 2017 this week with Be The One. Previous 3-week #1 Brooklyn by Fickle Friends first charted in 2016. Lipa originally released Be The One in 2015, but it’s currently being pushed for re-release or a US release now that she’s had a year to promote herself and build her fanbase. Previous holder Brooklyn drops to #2 this week. Lindsey Stirling’s Where Do We Go elevates into the top 5 this week from its previous peak of #6, and is joined in debuting by Estelle’s Break My Heart featuring Rick Ross. Originally released in 2012, it’s one of the oldest tracks in the chart this week. Louis Tomlinson’s Just Hold On slips one place to #5 this week. It’s a position three tracks in the current top 5 have held.

New entries this week are led by Ed Sheeran, who will be making an appearance in most charts this week, I imagine, helped by releasing two tracks of different genres to cover a broad raft of potential fans. I myself am proof of this – I think Castle is wonderful, and Shape Of You one step away from dross. No doubt it will eventually grow on me. London Grammar’s new release Rooting For You also debuts this week. Other new entries come from Sia, Glass Animals, Snakehips and M0, Big Sean and Jhene Aiko, Kriss Kross Amsterdam, Yall, Sister Sledge x Bordertown and Hydrogen Sea. There’s also a few re-entries.

Without further ado, might as well get into it! Here’s the top 40 up to this second week of January 2017:

01 Dua Lipa – Be The One [5-1]
02 Fickle Friends - Brooklyn [36-3-1-1-1-2]
03 Lindsey Stirling ft. Carah Faye - Where Do We Go [37-6-3]
04 Louis Tomlinson x Steve Aoki - Just Hold On [5-3-4]
05 Estelle ft. Rick Ross - Break My Heart [12-5]
06 Cardiknox - Into the Night [10-7-6]
07 Gabrielle Aplin - Miss You [37-4-3-2-2-7]
08 Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill [N]
09 Liz Loughrey - Rise Up [36-13-4-9]
10 London Grammar - Rooting For You [N]
11 Robert Glasper ft. Erykah Badu - Afro Blue (9th Wonder Remix) [29-11]
12 Prides - Tinseltown in the Rain [16-12]
13 Kronic ft. Nikki Jean - Dark Shapes [31-13]
14 Snakehips ft. M0 - Don't Leave [N]
15 Sia - Move Your Body [N]
16 KLYMVX ft. Emily Zeck - After Midnight [38-11-16]
17 AK ft. Veela - Parallel Worlds [37-23-22-17]
18 Annabel Jones - Asking for a Friend [34-7-7-7-8-32-18]
19 Mako, Rat City, Natalola - Run For Your Life [20-10-19]
20 Lola in Slacks - Tramlines [38-20]
21 Sia - Never Give Up [40-5-2-3-8-21]
22 Work Drugs - Talking in Defense [28-19-27-22]
23 Marian Hill & Lauren Jauregui - Back To Me [25-13-23]
24 Hydrogen Sea - Beating Heart [N]
25 The XX - On Hold [29-7-1-1-1-9-35-X1-25]
26 Clean Bandit, Anne-Marie, Sean Paul - Rockabye [9-2-1-1-2-12-X5-26]
27 Soft Lit - Only Natural [25-27]
28 Maroon 5 - Don't Wanna Know [34-29-16-14-28]
29 Corrs - I Do What I Like [24-21-18-19-29]
30 Glass Animals - Pork Soda [N]
31 Yall ft. Gabriela Richardson - Hundred Miles [N]
32 Stellar Young - Double Lives [33-20-32]
33 Vukovi - La Di Da [34-17-33]
34 The Naked and Famous - Laid Low [21-35-X1-18-34]
35 BlackPink - Playing with Fire [12-1-2-2-2-11-X2-35]
36 Tove Lo - Cool Girl [15-4-1-1-3-28-28-31-X14-36]
37 Sister Sledge x Bordertown - Lost In Music [N]
38 Kriss Kross Amsterdam ft. Conor Maynard & Ty Dollar $ign - Are You Sure? [N]
39 MUNA - Winterbreak [10-5-4-9-39]
40 Twenty88 - Selfish [N]

#1s this year:
Fickle Friends - Brooklyn (2)
Dua Lipa – Be The One (~)

Spotify Link to the playlist in full this week: click right here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Jan 17 2017, 02:14 PM
Post #2
   No Gallery Pics

Quite a few chart changes this week, and some long-runners extending at the top. Although it relinquishes #1, Brooklyn (Fickle Friends) notches up a fifth consecutive week in the top 5. A little below, Gabrielle Aplin's Miss You loads up a fifth week in the top 10. Annabel Jones' Asking For A Friend pulls back from being close to slipping out last week, firing back into the top 20 at #18, it too on its fifth week in the top 20. Four previous #1s also enter this week, Rockabye coming in at #26, On Hold at #25, following the release of The XX's new album, BlackPink's Playing With Fire (see below) at #35, and Tove Lo's Cool Girl dropping in at #36. These tracks picked up more plays as I was composing the write-ups for my Top 100 of 2016 countdown and needed some inspiration for the reviews. Cool Girl's re-entry gives it longevity enough to become this week's longest-runner overall. Annabel Jones is this week's longest runner on consecutive weeks.

Into the top 20, Kronic, AK and Veela, Robert Glasper and Erykah Badu, Prides' Tinseltown, and Lola in Slacks reach new peaks this week. There's also throughout the chart this week, a bunch of new entries. Let's get to those:

A smash new entry (or two, perhaps!) for Ed comes in on, I imagine, everybody's charts this week. Castle is my pick by far. It's one of few hits Ed's notched up on my personals, despite his colossal mainstream success. His first era (The A Team, Lego House) has been my favourite so far. I liked Sing from x, but wasn't as struck by any of the other singles - notably Bloodstream with Rudimental was far inferior to his other Rudimental feature that year, Lay It All On Me (which wasn't pushed as hard). I reckon this is Ed's highest debut, and it's set to rise next week too.

Not far behind Ed is the return of London Grammar. Although I've linked the video, I'm not too hot on the video edit - although it definitely shows off the musical prowess and skill of Hannah's vocal. This is a bit of a mellow slow burner, that really reminds me more than anything of choral, or religious music. It briefly soared on Spotify, too, which I was pleased to see. London Grammar themselves were slow burners with me; I didn't come across them at all until I heard one of their songs in a TV show in about 2015 and then I was hooked.

M0 and Snakehips have another go now, after respective non-successes Drum and Cruel featuring Zayn - a combo that should have been a banker, I'm guessing. Great sound to this, very much a callback to M0's solo material from her first album back in 2013 - yes, she's been around that long.

Sia continues on her late-game upward curve with this one. No video as yet, but the lyric vid features another wigged-up child dancer, but somehow doesn't feel quite like more of the same, or stale. This is much more upbeat than Sia's last couple, more Cheap Thrills than The Greatest. Let's see how it does on the officials. It's a winner for me.

Kriss Kross Amnsterdam, TY Dolla $ign and Conor Maynard-as-Justin-Bieber-lite come together one this one. It's inoffensive. I'm not a massive fan. It's okay. I think that's all I can say about it. I don't see it being a massive official chart hit.

Big Sean and Jhene Aiko in their guise of Twenty88, a band name I'm still not sure I fully get. The two are reportedly a couple as well as bandmates, and Jhene's recent solo material has been taking a much harder-edged urban tint, probably influenced by this. The two come together well on this track though, it's almost a natural pairing, and should help to buff up Jhene's name. I'm hoping for her to have a really big 2017, she's a real talent - and very attractive, too!

Glass Animals' third song from an era, a new record for the group on my personals. Pork Soda follows Youth (a top 10) and Season 2 Episode 3 (a top 25) on to the chart. 'Pork' so far has made it into the top 30, but we'll see how far it goes. It's another randomly titled track for the band, but it's not quite Fall Out Boy levels yet. Parent album How To Be a Human Being has been a slow burner for me and may yet chart some more tracks through the year, as I take my pick of 'singles' from it.

Hydrogen Sea are a Belgian duo just starting out and establishing themselves. This is a great wee find, a bit similar to Rebbeca and Fiona, Kleerup, Say Lou Lou in their quieter moments (looking forward to their 2017 comeback too!). They're very much in the early stages of their career with only 1k followers on Soundcloud, but this track is on 250k and rising Spotify plays, so maybe one to watch. Beating Heart is a jam, in any case.

A 2016 remix of the classic disco group vastly improves Lost In Music. I've actually been enjoying Sister Sledge a lot over the last while (thanks Spotify!) - in fact, I can see them becoming re-appreciated as icons in years to come if their music was to be used in a movie or a TV show. After all, Scream Queens gave me a new appreciation for the fact that - randomly - Frida, the dark haired girl from ABBA, had a solo career. Who knew Sister Sledge did more music genres than just disco?! This is still definitely one of the more esoteric picks this week, mind.

Felt the need to share it again. It's re-entry puts it up there with the longest runners on the chart this week. Very tight, well-crafted musically, and much more Western-sounding than K-Pop. The blonde rapper, particularly, I can well see breaking out as a solo international star, following the path opened up by previous Korean rapstar CL who recently charted an English song on the US Billboard Hot 100. If it wasn't in Korean I could well see this being an international hit, music-wise.

As ever, appreciate any questions, comments or commentary! I will check out your charts as well smile.gif

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Jan 20 2017, 01:14 PM

+Quote Post
Jason
post Jan 17 2017, 02:35 PM
Post #3
I've been looking for a Lasting Lover
Group: Members
Member No.: 3,149

Hi Jupiter

I like Dua Lipa's Be The One too. Hopefully it will be Dua's 4th UK top 40.
Great to see Louis Aoki still top 5. biggrin.gif
I agree with you. Castle On The Hill is better than Shape Of You. cheer.gif

Good chart

+Quote Post
Mangø
post Jan 17 2017, 04:32 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 151

Hey Jupiter, here's my faves this week:

01 Dua Lipa – Be The One [5-1] Great #1! Did you also chart this on its original release?
08 Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill [N] You not a fan of 'Shape Of You' then? I do like this but I prefer Shape!
14 Snakehips ft. M0 - Don't Leave [N] Sounding good on first listen
15 Sia - Move Your Body [N] Another brilliantly bonkers single from the brilliantly bonkers Sia dance.gif hope this smashes!
21 Sia - Never Give Up [40-5-2-3-8-21] wub.gif
30 Glass Animals - Pork Soda [N] I hope pork soda isn't an actual thing cos it sounds disgusting unsure.gif
38 Kriss Kross Amsterdam ft. Conor Maynard & Ty Dollar $ign - Are You Sure? [N] I really like this, wish radio stations would have picked up on it

Great chart!

+Quote Post
JSG
post Jan 18 2017, 09:49 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,473

Hello hi.gif

04 Louis Tomlinson x Steve Aoki - Just Hold On [5-3-4] Actually still loving this so much! Can't wait to see what he does next. Hopefully he continues in the same genre.
07 Gabrielle Aplin - Miss You [37-4-3-2-2-7] wub.gif
08 Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill [N] This should be the #1 Ed Sheeran track at the moment tbh.
14 Snakehips ft. M0 - Don't Leave [N] Very catchy!
15 Sia - Move Your Body [N] I Charted this for ages last year. Can't actually fathom why she left it so long to release laugh.gif

brill chart!

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Jan 18 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #6
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(M4NG0 @ Jan 17 2017, 04:32 PM) *
Hey Jupiter, here's my faves this week:
01 Dua Lipa – Be The One [5-1] Great #1! Did you also chart this on its original release?
08 Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill [N] You not a fan of 'Shape Of You' then? I do like this but I prefer Shape!
14 Snakehips ft. M0 - Don't Leave [N] Sounding good on first listen
15 Sia - Move Your Body [N] Another brilliantly bonkers single from the brilliantly bonkers Sia dance.gif hope this smashes!
21 Sia - Never Give Up [40-5-2-3-8-21] wub.gif
30 Glass Animals - Pork Soda [N] I hope pork soda isn't an actual thing cos it sounds disgusting unsure.gif
38 Kriss Kross Amsterdam ft. Conor Maynard & Ty Dollar $ign - Are You Sure? [N] I really like this, wish radio stations would have picked up on it

Great chart!

Hey Mango!

Nope, it's Dua's first time charting Be The One! I'm not even sure I would have liked it so much in 2015, it feels like such a fresh-start song which is kinda what we need in 2017 after the last year!

Yeah Pork Soda is a strange title but a good track. The lyric about the girl eating mayonaise from the jar in the other song grosses me out too!

Move Your Body is getting some airplay, heard it on the radio at work earlier this week. Hope it does well myself too!

No, not a huge fan of Shape, could you tell? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Jan 20 2017, 01:22 PM
Post #7
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jason @ Jan 17 2017, 02:35 PM) *
Hi Jupiter

I like Dua Lipa's Be The One too. Hopefully it will be Dua's 4th UK top 40.
Great to see Louis Aoki still top 5. biggrin.gif
I agree with you. Castle On The Hill is better than Shape Of You. cheer.gif

Good chart

I should hope so! To me it's by far the best thing she's released so far, and fairly pop and catchy as well.

Louis Aoki is one that really surprised me. I figured one of the 1D boys would do dance but it never struck me that it would be Louis. Wonder what Harry will come up with as his niche...

Castle on the Hill could have been released 5, 10 years ago and been a hit. Shape is very 2016-17. It will date it in years to come, I think.

Thanks for commenting! Good to hear your thoughts :3

QUOTE(JSG @ Jan 18 2017, 09:49 AM) *
Hello hi.gif
04 Louis Tomlinson x Steve Aoki - Just Hold On [5-3-4] Actually still loving this so much! Can't wait to see what he does next. Hopefully he continues in the same genre.
07 Gabrielle Aplin - Miss You [37-4-3-2-2-7] wub.gif
08 Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill [N] This should be the #1 Ed Sheeran track at the moment tbh.
14 Snakehips ft. M0 - Don't Leave [N] Very catchy!
15 Sia - Move Your Body [N] I Charted this for ages last year. Can't actually fathom why she left it so long to release laugh.gif

brill chart!

Thanks for such detailed thoughts! Yes, more EDM Louis would be awesome biggrin.gif

Gabrielle Aplin better chart officially, its such a great comeback and she looks so cute in the video :3

Move Your Body is an odd one right? I guess she - or her record label - pushed The Greatest and it pushed everything else down the pipeline? Or Cheap Thrills' success lasted longer than expected?!

By the way, links for this week are also up now! (Finally - I've had quite a few things on the go this week which has slowed everything down!)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:00 PM