BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Wimbledon 2017
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
TheSnake
post Jul 12 2017, 11:11 PM
Post #61
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
Thought Federer would have had a tougher time in the last two matches he played but he won them quite easily. Looking like he will win now, although I assume at least one of his last two matches will be tougher and will go to 5 sets.

I hope Federer does win, it is incredible how well he still playing at 35! Same with Venus in the women's game.

This post has been edited by Hissmeister: Jul 12 2017, 11:14 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mikee1981
post Jul 13 2017, 07:28 AM
Post #62
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 5,484
Venus is 37, Jo has a good record against her but it will be tough. I'm split as I love Venus and would love her to win Wimbledon again but I also want Jo to win. Have a feeling if Jo does win and Muguruza does then Muguruza will win final

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Jul 13 2017, 12:02 PM
Post #63
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
Predictions for today:

Muguruza to win in straight sets against Rybarikova who has had an remarkable run to the semis.

Venus to beat Konta in an three-set thriller.

I hope the umpire does more about the crowd today and avoids that issue at the end of the match where someone screamed out at match point and disrupted Halep and Konta in mid-flow.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Jul 13 2017, 04:28 PM
Post #64
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585
Muguruza through wining 6-1, 6-1

Williams through winning 6-4, 6-2

Well done to Konta for getting so far though! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Jul 13 2017, 10:22 PM
Post #65
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
Go on the Rog tomorrow!!

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Jul 13 2017, 10:22 PM
Post #66
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
Wow 18,000 posts!!

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Jul 14 2017, 07:55 AM
Post #67
Group icon
Should be a straight sets win for Federer against Berdych. It's unlikely Berdych can repeat what happened in their 2010 quarter-final.

I think Cilic will beat Querrey in 4 sets.

I think Konta should be very proud of how she did at Wimbledon. She got to the semi-finals much further than her previous best of the second round where she had won one match before this year's tournament. She came up against one of the best female players we've seen in Venus Williams. You can never write Venus Williams at all. Konta will move up to the Top 5 in the world I think on Monday.

It's a shame that Muguruza's semi-final was one-sided although I feared it probably would be with it being Rybarikova's first semi-final. At least she avoided the double bagel though.

Murray/Hingis and Watson/Kontinen both through to the mixed doubles semi-finals. There's a chance they could play each other in the final which would be great to see.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Jul 14 2017, 07:52 PM
Post #68
Group icon
Cilic, a former top-10 player, tested positive for a stimulant after a match in Germany in May 2013, and the International Tennis Federation sought a two-year ban. He said he ingested the substance unintentionally via a glucose tablet bought at a pharmacy

Cilic through to the final then with Federer. Cilic was banned for 4 months for that.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Jul 14 2017, 09:39 PM
Post #69
Group icon
It will be a close match between Muguruza and Venus tomorrow can see it going to three sets to Venus I think.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Jul 15 2017, 09:43 AM
Post #70
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Haven't had much time to watch Wimbledon this year but I'll try and make it for the finals. Gonna be cheering on Muguruza and then definitely Federer, I can't believe how right this year has gone for him.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jul 15 2017, 02:30 PM
Post #71
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
Shame Williams completely fell apart in that second set, looked a good final up till that point.

A fine new champion in Muguruza though, must admit I'd completely overlooked her at the start of the tournament (as had all the bookies!) let's see if she can get some consistency & qualify for multiple finals now.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jul 15 2017, 04:25 PM
Post #72
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
6-0! ohmy.gif I don't think I've ever seen an annihilation like that at the final, let alone did I think it'd be against a Williams sister! Feel bad for her as that may have been her last shot, but she did very well to get so far and it's nice to get a new (and very deserved based on this match!) champion in Muguruza.

+Quote this post
Oliver
post Jul 15 2017, 05:07 PM
Post #73
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367
I don't know why so little people thought Muguruza would do well considering she made the final two years ago. I would have put her one of the favourites pre-tournament.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jul 15 2017, 05:18 PM
Post #74
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Well since that final 2 years ago she only made it past the quarters once in the next 7 majors (ok she did win that one!) and flopped out of Wimbledon in the second round last year. Plus the fact you get a lot of flash-in-the-pan winners in the women's game. It was so open this year with no Serena nor Sharapova which made it so hard to call!

Regarding tomorrow I doubt many give Cilic a prayer but iirc correctly he wiped the floor with Fed the last time met in a Slam (US Open 2014), that will have very little bearing tomorrow mind, Federer has been playing some unreal tennis this tournament & hasn't even dropped a set.

+Quote this post
Umi
post Jul 15 2017, 06:54 PM
Post #75
Group icon
All I See br29
User: 14,659
People were right to give Muguruza so little attention leading into the tournament. This was not that far off a miracle run for her and it wasn't until she beat Kerber that she looked like a genuine contender. Yeah, she was in the final two years ago, but she was 14th seed at this for a reason and had a tough draw in front of her. She did incredibly well in this tournament and is a perfectly deserving champion but that wasn't at all obvious in the weeks leading up to the tournament.

It's a shame that this match was the final. Venus and Garbiñe have both played in much more exciting matches this tournament. Muguruza vs Kerber decided the winner of the tournament more than this match did.

Regarding tomorrow, it's hard to even want to watch it as someone who doesn't really care for Roger. I can't see it being a contest.

+Quote this post
Mikee1981
post Jul 16 2017, 10:12 AM
Post #76
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 5,484
I was really rooting for Venus yesterday but after failing to take set points then being broke it all went downhill, if she had of taken the first set I think it would of been interesting to see where it went.

Not overly fussed on the mens, I tend to find the majority of mens matches dull it seems dominated by big serves with little play for points. More interested in after the mens final has finished for the highly entertaining mixed doubles. Heather and Henri done so well to get to the final again and I would love them to take the title for a 2nd year but it gonna be tough against Jamie Murray and Hingis, 10 years since he won it with Jankovic but a lot of British interest and support.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Jul 16 2017, 03:45 PM
Post #77
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Such a good match, I mean Roger was totally in control and it wasn't really a contest but nevertheless he played beautifully and I got a little bit emotional seeing him get that win pushing him over the edge into 8 wins. Best player of all time indeed.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Jul 16 2017, 09:58 PM
Post #78
Group icon
The man is a complete genius. An sporting legend. He's incredible. I'm so glad he won it again, I thought he might have had his chance to make it 8 but no, the greats find more. He took his clay court season for this, not chasing money at all. Wouldn't surprise me if he did the same again.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jul 16 2017, 10:01 PM
Post #79
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Yeah an unbelievable achievement really. To not even drop a single set the whole tournament, just insane.

The greats just keep on going, I expect Serena when she comes back will add a couple more Slams too.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:54 AM