BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RESULTS: Spice Girls: The Group Singles Rate!, Winner and runner up revealed!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
...ready for it
post Oct 4 2017, 03:37 AM
Post #61
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 1,454

Too low! sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lukuzz
post Oct 4 2017, 04:55 AM
Post #62
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
Group: Members
Member No.: 1,209

Goodbye and Holler both too low imo, both so underrated.

Glad to see Wannabe 8th. It is an iconic song but they have so many better songs ! Too Much is about right I think.

Hoping Stop is out next

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Oct 4 2017, 10:21 PM
Post #63
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

6th Who Do You Think You Are (8.63)

Highest Scores: 11 (all is vanity.) | 10 (»ïïïïïïïïïïïïï., AdamAloud, engineer, HarryEzra, Hide&Seek, Jamesy, Jay, lewistgreen, Maurice, Mr.X, Scene, Slick, Spiceboy & THEO.)
Lowest Scores: 2 (Fenrik) | 4 (White Mustang)

I'm gutted to see the bop that is 'Who Do You Think You Are' miss out on a Top 5 finish! cry.gif This 70s-disco-inspired pop song is about the superstar life, and how someone can get trapped in the world of fame. It was released as a Double A Side single with 'Mama', and became their 4th #1 hit in the UK.

The Brits '97 performance of 'Who Do You Think You Are' (which for some strange reason isn't available to view on YouTube, but is viewable on Vimeo!) is surely without a doubt the Spice Girls' most definitive performance of the 1990s. A big part of the reason for this is down to Geri's choice of outfit - that iconic Union Jack dress - which is one of the most recognisable dresses of all-time, and is regarded as an iconic symbol of Cool Britannia (to think it was made out of a tea towel!). *.* I think it's a great performance beyond Geri's dress though... their energy & vibe is exhilarating and the atmosphere is palpable! In 2010 it was awarded "Best Live Performance at the BRIT Awards", deservedly so imo.

There's two versions of the music video - the Spice Girls-only version, and a special version for Comic Relief. The latter features a satirical version of the group called The Sugar Lumps, played by Kathy Burke, Dawn French, Llewella Gideon, Lulu, and Jennifer Saunders!

P.S. Gotta love Melanie C's ad-libs on this. wub.gif

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Oct 4 2017, 10:30 PM
Post #64
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Scene @ Oct 2 2017, 03:28 PM) *
The whole single campaign was wrong to be honest. Voodoo should've led with a video parodying their earlier music videos (in St Pancras Station, desert, 2 Become 1's flashing lights, Spiceworld movie) to capitalise on the nostalgia. That along with digital and CD release being the same week before album release, it probably would've given them a top 5 at least.

Voodoo shouldn't even exist! It is b-side material at most.

The Greatest Hits era, looking back, really lets me down. No-one wanted a low key ballad come back from the girls, they were the loud in your face group with real character and, as much as I like Headlines as a song, it was weak for them as a comeback single. I guess if the only options were Headlines or Voodoo then really they had no option. The era in terms of music was quite half assed tbh the focus was clearly on the fantastic tour they put together instead.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Oct 5 2017, 06:06 PM
Post #65
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

Shocked at 'Wannabe' being in 8th place, thought it would have finished top 5 at least, but they have had loads better, I will always have a soft spot for it as it did kick off their massive career and became such an iconic game changer by bringing girl groups back into the charts and creating the girl power movement. Even the song itself is still fantastic and actually bought it on tape when it came out and really loved it at the time with it's fantastic memorable infectious chorus and just all round classic fun. Doubt that there will ever be a group that will make this kind of impact so quickly ever again.

'Too Much' - Another great classic song from them and becoming their 2nd consecutive X-Mas #1, which was a well earned achievement as well as becoming their 6th #1 smash in a row. Always have that fond memory of this being performed at the beginning of 'Spiceworld - The Movie'. But this shouldn't have finished higher than 'Wannabe' though, while this is a nice enough ballad, it's not one of their best. It is a standout on 'Spiceworld' album and was the correct choice following 'SUYL'.

'Who Do You Think You Are' = Again thought that this would have been another shoo-in for a top 5 position, but 6th place isn't too shabby and with a fantastic 8.6 average. Another iconic classic that further cemented their status and a definite smart move releasing it as a double a-side with 'Mama', which would have been kinda weak in my opinion, but together it's immense. Always remember that Brit Awards performance as a young teen with Geri in that iconic union jack dress, they were at the top of their game and nothing could stop them. I remember listening to their debut album 'Spice' and instantly fell in love with this song and thought that it had to be a single, and gladly it was.

Also while I did like 'Voodoo' when the Greatest Hits album was released, in no-way it would have worked as their comeback single neither did 'Headlines' funnily enough, while it is a fun bop, it does sound like a left-over from their debut album recordings. Still wish to this day that 'Woman' would get a proper studio recording and would have been perfect for this album and could have given them their 10th #1 maybe. Also 'Pain Proof' should have been included on this, even that would have been a better choice than 'Headlines'.

This Is how I predict the top 5 =

1. Say You'll Be There
2. Stop
3. Viva Forever
4. Spice Up Your Life
5. 2 Become 1

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Oct 5 2017, 08:37 PM
Post #66
The Lady Said Go Home!
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,835

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE SHOULD BE TOP 5 that is all.

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Oct 5 2017, 08:37 PM
Post #67
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,217

WDYTYA should've been at least top 5.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Oct 5 2017, 08:58 PM
Post #68
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

The iconic Union Jack dress 'Who Do You Think You Are' performance is my favourite Brits performance of all-time wub.gif such a thrilling watch. The song itself is a total riot and instant pick me up, I think I do prefer all of the top 5 though so this is a perfect finish for it.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Oct 5 2017, 10:35 PM
Post #69

5th Stop (8.65)

Highest Scores: 11 (Jonjo, Liam, Scene & vibe) | 10 (engineer, ilovepollo, Maurice, PAJ88, randomfurlong, SamJudd, schizo_spice, Slick, Spiceboy, sugarandspice, ThePensmith & troublepink)
Lowest Scores: 3 (Euphorique & VVIP) | 4 (Fenrik)

The very aptly titled 'Stop' stopped the Spice Girls' run of UK #1 singles! The Motown influenced pop song entered and peaked at #2 on sales of 115,000, denied from the top spot by 'It's Like That' by Run DMC vs Jason Nevins (which sold more than twice as much in its first week - 247,000). The Spice Girls later referenced this defeat during their 2007/8 tour The Return of the Spice Girls, using the intro of 'It's Like That' at the beginning of their 'Stop' performance!

'Stop' was released on 9th March 1998, delayed from its original release date of a week earlier. Had they stuck to 2nd March, perhaps they'd have nabbed a #1 - because 'My Heart Will Goes On' by Celine Dion was #1 with 112k. cry.gif Not only did 'Stop' break the group's string of #1s, but it also became their first single to not achieve platinum status, merely managing silver within 1998. Thanks to downloads & streaming, 'Stop' became gold certified in 2015.

'Stop' didn't reach #1 anywhere in the world, but it did make the Top 3 in Canada & Ireland, and #5 in Australia. It peaked at #16 in the US, in the direct aftermath of Geri Halliwell leaving the group.

Despite 'Stop' only being their 9th best seller out of 11 releases in the UK, with the passing of time it's arguably become better remembered than some of their #1 hits! It is currently in fourth place in their Spotify popular songs, and is their fifth most viewed video on YouTube. Also, who doesn't know the routine!? Those easy-to-copy hand movements are iconic! *.*

They notably performed it at the Brit Awards in 1998 - where they defied their critics by singing it live. cool2.gif

P.S. The artwork used for the 'Stop' singles is from a photoshoot that took place in May 1997! I've always found it curious that they used relatively old pictures for this release. *I am probably the only person in the world to remotely care about this heehee.gif x*

+Quote Post
Jade
post Oct 5 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #70

Ha I just said to Jay on Skype that I hoped 'Stop' would be out next from the remaining songs, so this is an ideal result again for me! *.* Such a fun song and I love that they incorporated a dance routine into the video, but it's just a case of the other four songs being even stronger.

It is a shame that 'Stop' was never a #1! I actually tried to relaunch the 'Stop to the Top' campaign on Facebook in about 2010 to the success of about 40 people joining rotf.gif

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Oct 5 2017, 10:43 PM
Post #71

Omg Stop to the Top *___* laugh.gif #78 :') #therewasanattempt

+Quote Post
breezyspice
post Oct 5 2017, 10:57 PM
Post #72
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 39,572
   No Gallery Pics

Too Much is my fave Spice song regardless of the fact that I hate ballads. Not sure why, but I loved it immediately.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Oct 5 2017, 11:50 PM
Post #73

4th Viva Forever (9.23)

Highest Scores: 11 (AdamAloud, BabyBoy, Euphorique, Fenrik, HausofSZA, Jack, Jade, LazySpice88, liamk97, Lukuzz, Maurice, Mr.X, mutucan, Quven, randomfurlong & Spiceboy) | 10 (cripesdude, Hide&Seek, iTsound, Jay, Jonjo, JosephGutierrez, Josh!, lewistgreen, Michael Andrew, Narrator, PAJ88, SamJudd, Scene, schizo_spice, SevenSeize, sugarandspice, THEO. & ThePensmith)
Lowest Scores: 0 (Liam) | 2 (engineer)

Firstly, look at all those 11s and 10s! heart.gif That's exactly two thirds of the voters - more top scores received than any other song in this rate. 'Viva Forever' is certainly a fan favourite! However, it also has the dubious honour of being the only song to receive a score of 0, plus another rather "meh" score of 2 dashed its chances of a Top 3 finish. DenDen would have rioted! ohmy.gif

'Viva Forever' is a Latin flavoured pop ballad, about a summer romance which has come to a natural end. It was released as the fourth and final single from the Spice Girls' second album 'Spiceworld', in July 1998. Their previous release 'Stop' peaked at #2, but 'Viva Forever' returned them to the top in style - shifting an incredible 278,000 copies in its first week. This was highly impressive, considering that 'Spiceworld' was eight months old at this point and had sold well over a million copies! As well as this, the Spice Girls were busy touring the US in the Summer of 1998 - meaning that its promotion was rather limited. It went on to become the 13th best selling single of 1998, and the 74th best seller of the 1990s decade.

It was a commercial success worldwide, peaking within the Top 10 in many countries including New Zealand (#1), Ireland, Italy & Switzerland (#2). The group opted against releasing it in the US, just like they had done with the 4th single from 'Spice' ('Mama'/'Who Do You Think You Are').

Although the 'Viva Forever' single artwork & music video features five model fairies of the Spice Girls, Geri had walked out on the group two months prior to its release. Despite this, it actually does count towards Geri's personal tally of #1 singles, due to her vocal contribution. It's also worth noting that Geri was the main contributor to its lyrics!

The video was directed by Steve Box of Aardman Animations, who utilised a stop motion animation technique with five, 12 inch high Spice Girls fairy puppets. Interestingly the 4-minute video was five months in the making - by comparison, Spiceworld: The Movie only took two months to shoot! The video's plot is essentially about a young person growing up and leaving their youth behind. A nice touch at the end of the video: only four fairies are seen to fly out of a vending machine - symbolising Geri leaving the Spice Girls.

Fun fact: The girl group sang 'Viva Forever' with Pavarotti, at his annual charity event Pavarotti and Friends. Talent supporting talent. x

wub.gif It's such a beautiful song! I've certainly never begrudged it slaying pretty much every thread of this nature on DenDen, but nevertheless it's interesting that there's a different outcome on BuzzJack. There's just three more singles left to reveal! Which song will be declared as BuzzJack's favourite Spice Girls single? Find out tomorrow! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Oct 6 2017, 12:05 AM
Post #74

Recap:

04 9.23 - Viva Forever
05 8.65 - Stop
06 8.63 - Who Do You Think You Are
07 8.48 - Too Much
08 8.47 - Wannabe
09 8.41 - Goodbye
10 7.63 - Holler
11 6.90 - Mama
12 6.41 - Let Love Lead The Way
13 5.60 - Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)

Still to be revealed:

2 Become 1
Say You'll Be There
Spice Up Your Life

Any predictions for the Top 3 order? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Oct 6 2017, 11:25 AM
Post #75
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
Member No.: 8,661

Omg the video for "Viva Forever" is so sad :'( A bit sad to see "2 Become 1" beat it as the highest placed ballad but I genuinely don't know which of the three will be #1! Obviously hoping for a "Spice Up Your Life" win but I wouldn't begrudge "Say You'll Be There" x

+Quote Post
Jade
post Oct 6 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #76

Aw it's a shame that 'Viva Forever' couldn't quite finish in a podium position! But it is wonderful to see all of those 11s and 10s for it heart.gif I do love the vibrancy and fun of the Spice Girls, but the beautiful 'Viva Forever' is the song that captures me most out of their entire discography. It's incredibly haunting. <3

Ooh I had no idea that Aardman were involved with the music video! ohmy.gif you learn something new every day. I still don't know what to make of the vid after all these years laugh.gif

'Spice Up Your Life' to win now, then!

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Oct 6 2017, 12:12 PM
Post #77
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,217

I feel like i have to rant about Viva Forever not being #1 but i'm too ill to do that. I am very dissapointed in the lack of good taste on Buzzjack though

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Oct 6 2017, 12:15 PM
Post #78
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 12,472

Wasn't expecting a 'Wannabe' win (I definitely though 'Spice Up Your Life' and 'Say You'll Be There' would be ahead at least) but wasn't anticipating it being as low as #8, particularly out before 'Too Much'. That average is very good though. It's hard to imagine anything other than 'Wannabe' as the song to launch the Spice Girls; it's loud, intense, fun - it's like one big chorus. The girls' personalities are pushed right to the forefront and it's just the most joyous experience.

Did anyone watch Small Soldiers as a kid? laugh.gif

'Too Much' is lovely; my favourite of their Xmas #1s. wub.gif Mel C is the star of the song.

'Who Do You Think You Are' and 'Stop' are two more fantastic pop songs. Is there any explanation as to why 'Stop' was so relatively unsuccessful? I can only think that their selling-power was starting to dwindle but was then boosted with 'Viva Forever' after all the press interest in Geri leaving the group.

'Viva Forever' is heartbreaking. I remember watching the video when I was little and it, along with Britney's 'Everytime', was like my first taste of feeling emotional over something fictional! laugh.gif Also, there's always that moment in every 90s kid's life that they discover the two people in the video are both male! laugh.gif

'2 Become 1' is too high for my liking but it's a classic and is well loved by the general public as well as fans, so I can't begrudge it being Top 3. Can see it being a 'Say You'll Be There' vs. 'Spice Up Your Life' battle in the final though.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Oct 6 2017, 05:22 PM
Post #79
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

Viva Forever was way overrated on denden.

I have to say the performance at Wembley stadium is my fav ever performance . Mel C and Mel B slayed .

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Oct 6 2017, 11:13 PM
Post #80
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

Wow my predictions was totally wrong, but the remaining 3 are fantastic, and the results overall have been brilliant, although I would have had 'Goodbye' a little higher.

'Stop' = Such fond memories of this, I remember falling in love with this when I bought the album and it quickly became my favourite track on the album and was so pleased when it was announced as the 3rd single. I was devastated when it didn't get to #1 ending their #1's streak, talk about totally robbed. Really loved the motown sound to it and still memorizes the fun dance routine and still to this day this remains one of my firm faves.

'Viva Forever' = This marks a sad moment in pop history as this was the last official single to feature Geri Halliwell (until she came back in 2007). I didn't quite warm to this at the time, but as I got older I found more love for it and yeah I admit that I was disappointed when 'Never Give Up On The Good Times' wasn't released alongside this, as that's another firm fave from the album and still adds it to my own Spice Girls - Greatest Hits (instead of 'Move Over'). But anyway 'VF' remains one of their most beautiful and moving ballads of their careers and can see why it's considered by many as their greatest work, their vocals are just amazing and probably their best vocals. I was also glad this put them back to the top of charts and yes this ended their 2nd era with a bang.

Also when these results are finished, I am really looking forward to doing a 'Spice Girls - Solo Singles Rate', and it will be interesting to see what Buzzjacks thoughts and opinions and what will come out on top.

Also this is my own personal version of their Greatest Hits Album, including the cancelled follow up singles from 'Forever' which was cruelly cut short.

01. Wannabe
02. Say You'll Be There
03. 2 Become 1
04. Mama
05. Who Do You Think You Are
06. Spice Up Your Life
07. Too Much
08. Stop
09. Never Give Up On The Good Times
10. Viva Forever
11. Let Love Lead The Way
12. Holler
13. If You Wanna Have Some Fun
14. Tell Me Why [Radio Edit]
15. Weekend Love
16. Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)
17. Pain Proof
18. Voodoo
19. Goodbye

I reckon that 'Headlines' should have been released as a double a-side with 'Pain Proof' as their comeback single, it would have definitely performed a lot better together and may have made the top 10.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:24 AM